AVS Forum banner

Yamaha YSP-4300- New Owner Questions

693 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  taichi4 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just ran through the automated Beam/Sound set-up of my new YSP-4300. I read through the manual and note that there are a lot of manual setting that can be adjusted as well. Some of the explanations are detailed and others are a little vague. I was just wondering if any owners out there have tips for me. My room set-up isn't ideal. I sit about 5 feet from the TV stand where this speaker sits on. I have a left wall and a right wall of glass but the rear of the family room is open to the kitchen. From the height of the TV stand, the YSP, couldn't even see the back wall of the kitchen to bounce off of...so effectively I have no rear wall. That pretty much eliminates any hope of sounds seemingly coming from behind but I'd settle for good sound from the sides.

Anyhow, I ran through the automated set-up and played some 5.1 source material. I definitely experience a wide sound stage but it's very front-centric still. Occasionally I get the sense that the sound came from the side but it's not nearly as distinct as when I had actual speakers there. Would playing with volume levels of the beams, focal length, etc, improve on the surround effect or does the automatic optimization pretty much tackle that job optimally? I'm assuming that a little emphasis on my part may imbalance the "ideal" sound field but improve my personal expectation.

Finally, what's your favorite setting for music? So far, I haven't found one that I love. The stereo modes both seem off for me. Beam Stereo is fuller but my sense of separation is less. Plain stereo sounds tinny to me. I've also tried the musical surround DSP settings and I think maybe Concert mode was pretty good. Any thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
I could mount it above the TV but the rear kitchen wall is really far at 30'. I would think that might be too far since the sound beam would have to bounce back another 20 feet or so. I would consider this but I don't imagine that the sound beam can travel that far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.