31Likes

post #1 of 274 Old 06-20-2016, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sony HT-NT5

Hi All!

I was wondering if anyone has tried out these speakers? I know with an update that is going to come out sometime this month, it will be able to have wireless rear speakers for 4.1 surround sound, that is very appealing to me! I currently have the Sony HT-RT5, but have been having some issues with it, mostly with how low the sound is, which a lot of people have been having.

It's a shame the NT5 isn't a 3.1 soundbar, and not sure how 4.1 would be vs 5.1 and if the lack of a center channel will hurt the dialogue/speech voices or not.

Anyone tried out the soundbar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 274 Old 06-20-2016, 11:22 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5091 Post(s)
Liked: 3022
I have it's predecessor the HT-NT3. Dialog is great with mine. The dialog comes out of both speakers and sounds like it's coming from a center channel. It sounds much better than the RT5 which has an actual center channel speaker.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #3 of 274 Old 06-20-2016, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I just ordered one. I'll let you guys know what I think. I tried it out extensively in Bestbuy and was blown away by it. That was a huge space with monster ceilings and the speaker still held its own. Dialogue in Captain America was very clear and crisp. In fact, in some ways I thought it outperformed the ST9 next to it and that is double the price.
post #4 of 274 Old 06-20-2016, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolomaldini View Post
I just ordered one. I'll let you guys know what I think. I tried it out extensively in Bestbuy and was blown away by it. That was a huge space with monster ceilings and the speaker still held its own. Dialogue in Captain America was very clear and crisp. In fact, in some ways I thought it outperformed the ST9 next to it and that is double the price.
I just tested it out yesterday at BB as well. It definitely sound nice but I'n not sure how it would compare to the new Vizio 45 Smartcast bars.
post #5 of 274 Old 06-20-2016, 09:18 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyyslick View Post
I just tested it out yesterday at BB as well. It definitely sound nice but I'n not sure how it would compare to the new Vizio 45 Smartcast bars.
They don't even support what Sony did eight years ago. It seems like the Vizio bars only support legacy DD/DTS And only have one HDMI input. My Sony speaker bar from eight years ago had three HDMI inputs and handled 7.1 PCM. My SOny Speaker Bar from four years ago also handled the advanced audio codecs. And my 2015 HT-NT3 sounds much better than any previous Sony speaker bar I've owned. It's the first one I've owned that gives some kind of clarity that's similar to my $6K 9.1 system.

I wouldn't mind having an HT-NT5 strictly because it has HDMI 2.0a and handles HDR. But I have been curious how it compared to my HT-NT3 since Sony went with a different speaker configuration. But since I only paid $400(half price at the time with my UHD TV purchase) for my HT-NT3 I can't really complain.

post #6 of 274 Old 06-21-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
They don't even support what Sony did eight years ago. It seems like the Vizio bars only support legacy DD/DTS And only have one HDMI input. My Sony speaker bar from eight years ago had three HDMI inputs and handled 7.1 PCM. My SOny Speaker Bar from four years ago also handled the advanced audio codecs. And my 2015 HT-NT3 sounds much better than any previous Sony speaker bar I've owned. It's the first one I've owned that gives some kind of clarity that's similar to my $6K 9.1 system.

I wouldn't mind having an HT-NT5 strictly because it has HDMI 2.0a and handles HDR. But I have been curious how it compared to my HT-NT3 since Sony went with a different speaker configuration. But since I only paid $400(half price at the time with my UHD TV purchase) for my HT-NT3 I can't really complain.
Inputs and audio codecs are definitely important to me especially if I want to be future proof. I ordered the Vizio sound bar and will be picking up the NT5 when it arrives to compare. I have a new Vizio P65 and would match nicely with the 45" Vizio sound bar but I will go with the Sony if the sound is that much better.
aaronwt likes this.
post #7 of 274 Old 06-21-2016, 01:13 PM

My NT5 arrives tonight. Not sure I will have time to unpack but will try.

I know it can handle pretty much everything and also pass through HDR and Dolby Vision...so that will be nice. I'll let you know how the sound is from a performance standpoint. I wish I had the cash right now to add the two satellite speakers in the back for a 4.1 setup but those will come later on down the line. They are pricey at 200 each, but they sounded great individually when I tested them in BB.
aaronwt likes this.
post #8 of 274 Old 06-22-2016, 09:47 PM

Wow. The NT5 exceeded my expectations. I'm coming from an old CT150 which never had the power. This sound bar is phenomenal. The dialogue is amazing even without the Sony "ClearAudio" processing. The mids and the highs on this thing are tremendous. What's odd is that the drivers don't even look that huge, but they pack a punch. Subwoofer is very solid and does a nice job complementing the bar.

If you feed this thing high quality music or any of the high quality audio in movies, it really shines. I thought it struggled a bit on some songs over bluetooth, but I'm still learning and I could have had a setting off.

Overall, I'm pretty much in awe how this thing packs such a great audio punch.
aaronwt likes this.
post #9 of 274 Old 06-26-2016, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Good to know that you like it! Are you facing it so the speaker is flat on the tv stand, or the speakers facing you?

I also wonder if there is a way to find out if the wireless rears add "true" 4.1 surround sound, or if the rear speakers just are the same thing as the soundbar but just play it next to your ear (I think some of the samsung ones do that).
post #10 of 274 Old 06-26-2016, 09:13 PM

I actually let lay flat on my stand so it points somewhat upward. Frankly speaking, I think the sounds is great either way, but it is probably a touch better if you mount the speaker or at least angle it somewhat. One guy at BB installed the brackets for the mount just to angle it.

I can't comment on the 4.1 set up. However, I heard Sony's wireless rear speakers at BB, and they sounded very good. I would imagine it is a great set up.

I can't get over how good the dialogue is on this bar. It has no center channel speaker but the dialogue is amazing. Very natural sounding.
post #11 of 274 Old 06-27-2016, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I considering between the NT5 and new Vizio soundbars with thin subwoofer. I would appreciate if anyone can compare them and share their experience.
post #12 of 274 Old 06-27-2016, 08:23 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethu Siva View Post
I considering between the NT5 and new Vizio soundbars with thin subwoofer. I would appreciate if anyone can compare them and share their experience.
Just from a feature set, the Sony is miles ahead of the Vizios. The Vizio soundbars only have one HDMI input. Sony has three. Even my Sony soundbar from eight years ago had three HDMI inputs.

The Vizio sound bars only handle legacy audio. DD/DTS. While the Sony can handle up to 7.1 Dolby True HD/DTS-HD MA as well as 7.1 PCM.

post #13 of 274 Old 06-27-2016, 09:10 PM

I can only speak to the Sony. It's an amazing 2.1 set up and the HD audio formats shine. Three HDCP 2.2 inputs is a big deal to me. I already have an NVIDIA Shield and may get a 4k player. I need that pass through to work and I especially want HDR and Dolby Vision to pass through there. Sony does that.

Sound is fantastic and I'll be curious how the rear wireless will be down the line.
post #14 of 274 Old 06-28-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolomaldini View Post
I can only speak to the Sony. It's an amazing 2.1 set up and the HD audio formats shine. Three HDCP 2.2 inputs is a big deal to me. I already have an NVIDIA Shield and may get a 4k player. I need that pass through to work and I especially want HDR and Dolby Vision to pass through there. Sony does that.

Sound is fantastic and I'll be curious how the rear wireless will be down the line.
Are you having any issues outputting 5.1 audio on Netflix through your Shield?
post #15 of 274 Old 06-28-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Are you having any issues outputting 5.1 audio on Netflix through your Shield?
No. 5.1 works well through the Shield in Netflix, Plex, Games, and HDHomerun (Live TV).
post #16 of 274 Old 07-01-2016, 04:45 PM

One week into ownership and so far it's been great. It's one powerful soundbar as I only need to turn it up about 25% of its volume to really enjoy the sound. I had one handshake issue because I was using an old HDMI splitter, but as soon as I removed that, its been great.
post #17 of 274 Old 07-03-2016, 09:59 AM

Liked: 10
Can anyone comment on these notes from the users manual-

Quote:
• When using the wireless surround
function, the wireless LAN function is not available. Connect to the network with a wired LAN.

• When using the wireless surround function, the Screen mirroring function (page 41) is not available.

• When using the wireless surround function, you cannot set [Bluetooth Mode] to [Transmitter] (page 53).

• When using the wireless surround function, [Bluetooth Codec - LDAC] (page 54) is not available.

• When using the wireless multi room or wireless surround function, the sound field function is not available.
Would you have to menu dive to disable the wireless rear speakers anytime you wanted to say; try a different sound field setting or use bluetooth headphones?

Luke
post #18 of 274 Old 07-03-2016, 01:09 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
Can anyone comment on these notes from the users manual-

Would you have to menu dive to disable the wireless rear speakers anytime you wanted to say; try a different sound field setting or use bluetooth headphones?
It shouldn't affect the sound field but it looks like it does with the BT connection.

It's like they added the wireless rear capability as an afterthought..

post #19 of 274 Old 07-03-2016, 01:29 PM

Hmm. This part of it
Quote:
"When using the wireless multi room or wireless surround function, the sound field function is not available."
makes me think it may lock to one sound field, perhaps movie mode?

It also seems when you look at all those statements that it is using both wifi and Bluetooth resources for the wireless rear speakers.

Although Sony manuals are notoriously poorly written, or at least poorly translated.

I may end up with the ST9 (I can get it at a significant discount) or the Yamaha YSP- 5600 anyhow, but was drawn to the NT5 due to the possibility of wireless rears and 4K HDR pass through simplifying wiring slightly.

Last edited by Luke_Y; 07-06-2016 at 05:38 AM.
post #20 of 274 Old 07-08-2016, 07:14 AM

Liked: 0
The latest firmware update has the following mentioned:

Adds support for the Spotify Preset (For regions where the Spotify app is available)

Does anyone how how to get this working on the HT NT5?

Thanks,
post #21 of 274 Old 07-17-2016, 04:06 PM

Well just got back from BestBuy, went to snatch the open box that they had for $559. When i got there, system had no remote or grill. They grabbed a sealed remote from the display box and he lowered the price to $409.99.... I payed and ran, ran as fast as i could to my car before they noticed they got so robbed lol Time to retire the ol' Sony SA-WCT100 she was a trooper.
post #22 of 274 Old 07-18-2016, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hello everyone, got a question. When this sound bar is hooked up to TV via optical I know HDMI control should be off but in the audio settings should it show as only speaker or HDMI + speaker?

Probably a pretty obvious answer but wanted to confirm as I was having issues earlier in the week trying to use ARC feature and want to make sure my settings are correct for optical connection.
post #23 of 274 Old 07-22-2016, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Proud owner here also... Thoroughly impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #24 of 274 Old 07-23-2016, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can anyone here help me with a purchasing decision?

I'm looking to get a good soundbar system and was deciding between a Sonos Playbar, Sub and 2 Play 1 speakers for the rear or getting the Sony NT5 with 2 SRSZR5's for the rear.

Because of some accommodations I have from my employer I can get the Sonos package for around $1000 and the Sony package for around $900.

So since price is not a factor in this decision I wanted some advice from anyone who may have experience with either of these systems? Thanks

Sony XBR-55930D
post #25 of 274 Old 07-23-2016, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Feature wise the Sony wins with HDMI inputs and being ale to decode the lossless formats. Sound quality I would go with the Sonos if your TV's optical output Dolby Digital 5.1, what make and model TV do you hae. The Sonos is a better multi-room music system if you plan on expanding the system.
post #26 of 274 Old 07-23-2016, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Feature wise the Sony wins with HDMI inputs and being ale to decode the lossless formats. Sound quality I would go with the Sonos if your TV's optical output Dolby Digital 5.1, what make and model TV do you hae. The Sonos is a better multi-room music system if you plan on expanding the system.
Hey thanks for responding. I currently have a Sony XBR-55X930D. I'm not entirely sure If I'm gonna expand the system past the 5.1. I plan on hooking up my Directv, Xbox One, and PS4 so its gonna be used primarily for tv, movies and gaming. Right now I'm just really looking for best bang for my buck until one day I'll get a proper home theater system.

Also I was planning on using ARC, unless its better to connect via optical? From what I've read the Sony supports 4K passthrough and Sonos does not.

Sony XBR-55930D
post #27 of 274 Old 07-23-2016, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 461
A few things.

1. If you get the Sony sound bar I would connect your Sat, Xbox and PS4 to the sound bar and then from the sound bar to the TV. ARC does not have the ability for the lossless formats. To get those connect as I stated.

2. The Sonos there is nothing to pass through for 4K. The Sonos does not have HDMI. All your sources would connect to the TV and you would run an optical cable to the Sonos Play bar. Your model TV does send out Dolby Digital to the sound bar. Certain TVs can only process stereo signals so that is all that is sent to the TV by the sources and therefore all that is sent to the optical. Not a problem in your case as your TV process Dolby Digital so no problem if you want the Sonos.

3. If you go with the Sony sound bar you can use ARC. The problem with ARC is you have to have on CEC (consumer Electronic Control) for ARC to work. CEC which is called BraviaSync on Sony devices can cause a lot of headaches with controlling your devices. Typically, we turn off CEC/ARC, run an optical to the sound bar and get an inexpensive decent universal remote to operate the system easily and reliably. If you are the only one that uses the system this is not a big deal but for spouses, friends or other people that may use the system being able to operate the system easily is huge.

For sound quality and a good whole house system if you expand I would go with the Sonos with your TV.
dm3089 likes this.
post #28 of 274 Old 07-25-2016, 04:23 PM

I liked the Sony sound just as much as the Sonos when I heard it. The tipping point was the design and HDMI 4k pass through which was important to me. The lossless formats sound amazing on the NT5.
post #29 of 274 Old 07-25-2016, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Reviews from different sites starting to come out in it. Getting pretty favorable ratings.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-ht-nt5/

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/...1324789/review

Just placed my order for one. Should arrive Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #30 of 274 Old 07-26-2016, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I have the 45" Vizio soundbar. Avoid it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars
Gear in this thread