Samsung HW-K850 & HW-K950 Dolby Atmos Soundbars - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 445Likes

post #1291 of 2747 Old 03-21-2017, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post
The Apple TV4 lets you select "best quality available' which is 5.1 PCM. But it also allows you to select DD5.1 and stereo too.
Thanks for the input. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, I've been digging through blogs/forums and we know where that can lead

From what I've read ... the new ATV4 reads/decodes up to DD+, but, choosing the DD5.1 "setting" outputs the older, lower quality DolbyDigital bitstream. The only way to get higher quality output is to select the "Auto" setting - this setting will output 5.1 PCM if the source is DD+, while a DD source will output either 5.1 PCM or a DD bitstream (no one's figured out why it goes back and forth yet).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 2747 Old 03-22-2017, 03:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Mine doesn't show an 'auto' setting for audio, just the ones I listed.

With 'best quality available' it works as you describe for auto. Everything comes out multi-channel PCM from what I've seen with various sources. The ATV4 does the extraction.

With DD5.1 you only get the non-plus DD

Lloyd
post #1293 of 2747 Old 03-22-2017, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Trying to buy speaker mounts for the rears before delivery. Can anyone advise the weight of the rears?

Thanks

post #1294 of 2747 Old 03-22-2017, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mine doesn't show an 'auto' setting for audio, just the ones I listed.

With 'best quality available' it works as you describe for auto. Everything comes out multi-channel PCM from what I've seen with various sources. The ATV4 does the extraction.

With DD5.1 you only get the non-plus DD
Yes - of course you are correct. I meant the "best quality available" setting and not the "Auto" setting. The ATV3 had the "Auto" setting.

I don't suppose there is an audio-format-converter out there - that would solve a host of problems
post #1295 of 2747 Old 03-23-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, I'll bite, how the heck do you get the blasted USB update to work?

Got the file, extracted to a folder, put on USB stick. Plugged into the soundbar, turned it on and nothing! Checked the book, took the USB stick out, pulled the power plug. Put USB stick in, plugged in and turned on and NOTHING!

Tried moving all the files in the folder to the root of the USB stick and still nothing.

I'm stumped!

Why the hell won't they just put the latest update in the OTA package?

Lloyd
post #1296 of 2747 Old 03-23-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Could it be the file-system format of the thumb drive? Fat-32 is the most common format and probably the only one the K-950 recognizes. A couple of times I've bought thumb-drives that were pre formatted as NTSF or HFS.
post #1297 of 2747 Old 03-23-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. I'll take that drive to a Windows machine and format it on that one and see if it makes a difference. Tried reformatting it on the Mac in FAT and it says it did, but nothing worked.

Lloyd
post #1298 of 2747 Old 03-23-2017, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 9
hmm, pretty shady Samsung.com, look at the catalog page review and then the review after you click on the product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	product page.png
Views:	178
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	2045177   Click image for larger version

Name:	front page.png
Views:	183
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	2045185  
post #1299 of 2747 Old 03-23-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't know what happened, but I went to the store and ran some other chores, when I got back and turned on everything the 850 started doing the update from the USB stick. This update really does make a big difference in the rear speakers.

As to the 950 I wonder what the differences are between it and the 850. Might look when I get away from using cell data for internet. But the price for the 850 in the one picture is what I paid for the 850 so I'm good with that.

Lloyd
post #1300 of 2747 Old 03-23-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looked at Samsung's website, the differences in the two seem very minimal. The 950 has more power output, and the $999 850 shown doesn't have the rear speakers with it. And it doesn't appear that the 950 has a USB port for updates/service. IMO, if I were buying today I'd be looking for a good price on the 850.

Lloyd
post #1301 of 2747 Old 03-24-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Looked at Samsung's website, the differences in the two seem very minimal. The 950 has more power output, and the $999 850 shown doesn't have the rear speakers with it. And it doesn't appear that the 950 has a USB port for updates/service. IMO, if I were buying today I'd be looking for a good price on the 850.
The 950 has a USB service port. And the 950 has more power because it has rear speakers. The soundbar/sub are exactly the same.
jeep05 likes this.
post #1302 of 2747 Old 03-24-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah. Yesterday was a day of brain farts, my posts here are a good example.

Lloyd
post #1303 of 2747 Old 03-26-2017, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyone have an issue when switching from one video source to their Shield TV? Occasionally, if I go from optical or HDMI1 back to HDMI2 (shield input), either the TV or the soundbar doesn't see Shield video. I can actually hear the clicking from moving around with my remote, so audio is working. I don't have an issue with the PS4 and if I plus the shield directly into the TV, I don't seem to have this issue. Is there some sort of setting I need to make? I've tried two different high speed hdmi cables. Kind of at a loss.
post #1304 of 2747 Old 03-26-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't have a shield tv, but I have noticed overall relative slowness to switch sources. Generally I just wait a bit and the switchover takes place with no intervention by me.

Lloyd
post #1305 of 2747 Old 03-26-2017, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I don't have a shield tv, but I have noticed overall relative slowness to switch sources. Generally I just wait a bit and the switchover takes place with no intervention by me.
Yes that's true sometimes. If I wait maybe a minute, video will show up. But sometimes, nothing at all happens.
post #1306 of 2747 Old 03-26-2017, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrozdowski View Post
My HW-K950 arrived today - in a box that looked like it had survived a plane crash. Yeah, the bottom was just pure packing tape - had to have been a mishap on the line at FedEx and likely why it was delayed a day. Thankfully upon opening the box - everything was accounted for and undamaged. Lucky me!

Some caveats...

I'm not an audiophile per se. I'm your average enthusiast who has had some decent AVR 6.1 setups in the past. I won't spend $5k on a AVR and speakers. But I will spend about what I spent on this thing to get 'good enough' sound. So my impressions of things may not meet the higher standards that most on the board may have. That being said...

This is replacing my Samsung HW-J8500 curved soundbar - which when I got it, sounded tons better than the previous Vizio 5.1 surround soundbar I had, but not quite as good as I had hoped. I've not had an actual receiver/5.1/6.1 speaker setup in almost 5 years. The room in which I placed this has a very tall ceiling - maybe 30ft tall (a loft is above the area where the TV is). I was initially concerned this would be an issue - but thankfully, it didn't seem to be...

The unit itself - very solid. The soundbar is made of wood with some high quality plastic on parts of it. The subwoofer is a nice sturdy wood box (like you would expect) - seemed bigger than the sub that came with the 8500. The rear speakers I was very impressed by. They were much larger than expected (I previously had the Vizio 5.1 with rear surrounds which were small - and they ultimately crapped out on me anyhow) - they are probably slightly larger than a Sonos Play:1 and similar quality build.

Setup was a breeze - the most difficult thing was routing the power cables to my power conditioner/surge protector. Everything was automatically paired up so nothing special needed to be done. I did not adjust any of the various levels for each individual speakers, sub or treble/bass - all defaults for now.

First test was OTA HD signal from the local Fox station (which is notoriously weak up on the north end of Phoenix). Sound was already markedly improved over the J8500. Very crisp. Didn't really notice any rear sounds, but with daytime TV, I wouldn't have expected it.

Second test was an 4th generation Apple TV connected to my Samsung JS9500 OneConnect box (so going to the bar over ARC). Play tested the 4th Hunger Games movie - it sounded about as good as could be expected with normal Dolby Digital. The rears were a bit muted - but they were there.

Third test was the UHD BluRay of Allegiant (kids were home - will do Deadpool later when they are not). It has a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. My UHD BluRay player is the Samsung 8500 (so many similar numbers) connected to HDMI 1 of the soundbar. At first, playing the movie the surround was immediately noticeable. The soundstage for my setup felt pretty decent - improved over the previous soundbar by quite a bit. But something felt missing... I then went to the settings of the player and realized I was setup to output PCM and not Bitstream (Uncompressed). I switched that - resumed the movie and voila! The soundbar instantly detected and reported DOLBY ATMOS on its LED display! And whammo - the soundstage for this thing filled the room. The bass was a bit overwhelming for my kids (but I wasn't bothered by it) - it felt like I was sitting in my local theatre (but without the Pokemon hunting idiots). The sound was so much crisper - dialogue was very easy to follow (was on Movie mode) and the overall sound enveloped me. The big crowd scenes were very immersive - could hear people all around me. Could hear bullets whizzing around (though not as clearly as I had hoped - but will try Deadpool for better Atmos mix later). Awesome stuff.

HDMI CEC worked immediately out of the box (but I have a total Samsung setup...others may vary).

Color me very impressed. I was hesitant to spend this much on another soundbar - but I'm very glad I did. I won't be wishing I had a separate receiver & speaker setup anymore. This will suit my needs/expectations for quite some time. That is until they have a 7.1.4 or 9.2.4 version...

I'll spend some time adjusting things the next few days as I go through. I still have to try the Xbox on it (and I have an Xbox One S coming next week - but that evidently doesn't support Atmos at launch, but may later). I want to try some Netflix/Hulu/HBO Now, etc streaming on it too.

I'll try streaming some music to it later as well - but am pretty invested in Sonos and feel those speakers are the best for streaming music currently. (Have a few Play:1s & two Play:5s in stereo pair - simply awesome sound)

I also need to get this hooked up to the Wifi so I can see if there are any firmware updates for it. So far doesn't seem like I need any.

I was pondering trying to setup this up in another room that has lower ceiling, etc. I'm not going to do that for a while - I'd have to move too much stuff around...I'm just happy that out of the box in the room I have its exceeded my expectations.

If you're on the fence here - do it. Worth every penny. And get the 950 over the 850 - having the rears is a must I would say. (Though I was unable to test it w/o the rears - not sure how it would react if I just simply unplugged them and tried since its already paired and would be expecting them anyhow...). If you have a nice new 4K TV & BluRay player, this could be the perfect final piece to cap things off for the time being.

Is this better than a top of the line AVR setup with primo speakers? Nope. Is this better than your avg soundbar? Oh yes, but quite a bit. To me this competes with a good mid range AVR and decent speakers. Plus you know - no speaker cables to run...

Samsung has, err - raised the bar - by quite a bit for the competition. I don't know how the Yamaha one sounds - though I've always been partial to Yamaha AVR in the past - but I couldn't stomach both the size (compared to the Samsung its HUGE) and the cost with the subwoofer. But I'm sure it sounds pretty sweet as well. Plus, I'd love the room / sound adjustment tool it has - those have always worked well on their AVRs in the past for me. Perhaps it'll show up with a firmware update...

Feel free to ask other questions - I'll do my best to answer. Limited reviews on this thing, but its amazing...
I have an SUHD 8500 4k Samsung tv. I've been looking at the HW-MS6500/ZA to replace my Polk SRT center.

First how does it sound.
Second if I have a superior surround reciever and would like to keep using that as well as my other speakers, how does one connect the HW-MS6500/ZA or ?

Can you by pass the surround feature and just use this a center or is it really a LRC type speaker.

Thanks
post #1307 of 2747 Old 03-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

What is the current software version for the 950?
post #1308 of 2747 Old 03-27-2017, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post
What is the current software version for the 950?
Mine says 3109.1
jeep05 likes this.
post #1309 of 2747 Old 03-27-2017, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpiskin View Post
Does anyone have an issue when switching from one video source to their Shield TV? Occasionally, if I go from optical or HDMI1 back to HDMI2 (shield input), either the TV or the soundbar doesn't see Shield video. I can actually hear the clicking from moving around with my remote, so audio is working. I don't have an issue with the PS4 and if I plus the shield directly into the TV, I don't seem to have this issue. Is there some sort of setting I need to make? I've tried two different high speed hdmi cables. Kind of at a loss.

I have the same exact issue. Sometimes to avoid the issue I power on my TV beforehand as a workaround but even then it'll sometimes cycle to another INPUT using D.IN without any interaction on my behalf..

Last edited by xtremeph; 03-27-2017 at 09:25 PM.
post #1310 of 2747 Old 03-28-2017, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
Mine says 3109.1

Thanks william06
post #1311 of 2747 Old 03-28-2017, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeph View Post
I have the same exact issue. Sometimes to avoid the issue I power on my TV beforehand as a workaround but even then it'll sometimes cycle to another INPUT using D.IN without any interaction on my behalf..
The cycling to another input is usually CEC/ARC problem. Not getting video might be fixed by that but some devices are just finicky when authenticating HDMI. Usually, it is good practice to have the TV and sound bar on first before turning on the source device. Source devices that never really turn off like the Shield can sometime cause problems causing the need to power cycle the other components.
jeep05 likes this.
post #1312 of 2747 Old 03-28-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got a little problem...

When I installed my 950 I had to use my iPhone as a hotspot to get to the internet and get the updates. All that worked quite well. But now I have internet installed at the house and tried going through the procedure to connect to it instead. No joy! The Multiroom app finds the router just fine but then says it cannot connect to it and then prompts to go through the 'alternate' way to get it to work. Still won't work.

I'm guessing that I may need to 'virginize' the 950 but have no clue how that is done. Or am I missing something?

thanks

Lloyd
post #1313 of 2747 Old 03-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Got a little problem...

When I installed my 950 I had to use my iPhone as a hotspot to get to the internet and get the updates. All that worked quite well. But now I have internet installed at the house and tried going through the procedure to connect to it instead. No joy! The Multiroom app finds the router just fine but then says it cannot connect to it and then prompts to go through the 'alternate' way to get it to work. Still won't work.

I'm guessing that I may need to 'virginize' the 950 but have no clue how that is done. Or am I missing something?

thanks

Just a shot here but you don't have a block on your router that denies new devices from connecting do you?
post #1314 of 2747 Old 03-28-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post
Just a shot here but you don't have a block on your router that denies new devices from connecting do you?
Unfortunately no. If that were the case I could make the necessary changes. The router is an Apple Airport Extreme and set up from a virgin state. I think it is limited to 50 devices or so, but I've only got 6 devices on it now.
jeep05 likes this.

Lloyd
post #1315 of 2747 Old 03-28-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well chalk yet another issue resolved by the electrical gremlins.

Tried yet again to set it up using the iPhone instead of the iPad. No matter how I went through the setup it kept failing. So I powered the soundbar off, pulled the power, inserted power and turned it on. Now the multi room app shows that it is connected to the right network and all functions are working as they are supposed to.

The only thing that comes to mind is timing, maybe when it checks to see if it joined the network, it does it too quickly and the app doesn't get the right indication. Regardless, it is all working now and I'm tickled pink.
jeep05 likes this.

Lloyd
post #1316 of 2747 Old 03-28-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Well chalk yet another issue resolved by the electrical gremlins.

Tried yet again to set it up using the iPhone instead of the iPad. No matter how I went through the setup it kept failing. So I powered the soundbar off, pulled the power, inserted power and turned it on. Now the multi room app shows that it is connected to the right network and all functions are working as they are supposed to.

The only thing that comes to mind is timing, maybe when it checks to see if it joined the network, it does it too quickly and the app doesn't get the right indication. Regardless, it is all working now and I'm tickled pink.
isn't there a little wifi connect button on the bottom somewhere? I think that might reset it.
post #1317 of 2747 Old 03-28-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Credelle View Post
isn't there a little wifi connect button on the bottom somewhere? I think that might reset it.
Yes, you use it during the setup. I did that and waited for the sound indication that it was ready. IOW, followed the exact instructions during the setup.
jeep05 likes this.

Lloyd
post #1318 of 2747 Old 03-28-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Credelle View Post
oh it's on the back, also saw this in the manual "you can also activate the Wi-fi SetUP function by pressing and holding the Up button on the remote for more than 5 seconds"
jeep05 likes this.
post #1319 of 2747 Old 03-28-2017, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just updated to firmware 3111.2
jeep05 likes this.
post #1320 of 2747 Old 03-28-2017, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I updated my bar today as well, (3111.2 / 0338.OR) can't seem to hear any "improvement" and I can't find any info online or on Samsungs website. Samsungs website is absolutely the worst website and there support section and service is just a disaster !!

No information on any of the updates and the updates are never current.

I'm not really sure what's going on with them and how they are such a leader in the world of electronics but they really need to get there **** together and improve there game ! (Website / Service side)

As far as they soundbar, TV and blue ray I own they kick ass !! and have worked and preformed super !

I guess ya can't have it all !! LOL
jeep05 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
HW-K850 , HW-K950

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page