Samsung HW-K850 & HW-K950 Dolby Atmos Soundbars - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 423Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1501 of 2656 Old 05-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post
Nope...........I prefer to run everything directly to the TV.


You do know that it is not the right way to use HDMI though right?
tearfalls is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1502 of 2656 Old 05-11-2017, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
jeep05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N.C.
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearfalls View Post
You do know that it is not the right way to use HDMI though right?

Depends on your definition, and mine, of which is right or wrong. For me its right.
jeep05 is offline  
post #1503 of 2656 Old 05-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post
Depends on your definition, and mine, of which is right or wrong. For me its right.


Sure. Nothing is wrong if you are not aiming to get it right.


If you have a sound system that includes a receiver, in this case the HWK 950, the HDMI signal should always go into the receiver first then from receiver to TV. Of course you can always plug the HDMI into TV to get lossy sound that is supposed to be decoded by your TV if don't have a sound system, but you are never supposed to get any audio signal out of your TV to be transferred again to other sound decoding devices. In fact, in most of the other markets other than US, even today TV manufacturers do not include optical out option because it is not how HDMI cable and signal are designed to be used. For some reason they include the optical out option for US market perhaps because of too many complaints about people not being able to use old receivers that only have optical in. But again it does not change the fact that HDMI signals are designed to go into your receiver first if you have one. HDMI-ARC is also a compromising solution and stardard which itself is a total mess and not universally agreed and adopted by all the manufacturers.


But again, nothing is wrong if by your standard it is okay to not do it right to get the correct and lossless signal.
Tanmay Garg likes this.
tearfalls is offline  
 
post #1504 of 2656 Old 05-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
jeep05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N.C.
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearfalls View Post
Sure. Nothing is wrong if you are not aiming to get it right.


If you have a sound system that includes a receiver, in this case the HWK 950, the HDMI signal should always go into the receiver first then from receiver to TV. Of course you can always plug the HDMI into TV to get lossy sound that is supposed to be decoded by your TV if don't have a sound system, but you are never supposed to get any audio signal out of your TV to be transferred again to other sound decoding devices. In fact, in most of the other markets other than US, even today TV manufacturers do not include optical out option because it is not how HDMI cable and signal are designed to be used. For some reason they include the optical out option for US market perhaps because of too many complaints about people not being able to use old receivers that only have optical in. But again it does not change the fact that HDMI signals are designed to go into your receiver first if you have one. HDMI-ARC is also a compromising solution and stardard which itself is a total mess and not universally agreed and adopted by all the manufacturers.


But again, nothing is wrong if by your standard it is okay to not do it right to get the correct and lossless signal.
Glad you took the time to clarify that for all of us who are doing it wrong even though I don't believe I ask for your clarification.

Enjoy your day.
jeep05 is offline  
post #1505 of 2656 Old 05-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Member
 
DemonAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: London, England
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Tearfalls your advice is sound but this soundbar unlike a dedicated av receiver only has 2 hdmi inputs, not several. I have this soundbar and I have my uhd bd player connected directly into the hdmi 1 slot on the soundbar (so I get atmos playback) I have my Mac mini connected into hdmi 2, everything else, tv box, ps4 etc is connected directly into my tv and works via ARC. If the soundbar had multiple hdmi inputs I would probably go down that route but to be honest I cant hear no dicernable difference in sound quality by going through my tv as long as its set to bitstream dolby digital.
.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
DemonAV is offline  
post #1506 of 2656 Old 05-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
@jeep05 He simply tried to help you. Why should anyone buy a Dolby Atmos soundbar which is 500$ more expensive than a sound bar without Atmos to connect it in a way where Atmos cannot be used? This is not understandable.
Chris1212 and Tanmay Garg like this.
Wertzius is offline  
post #1507 of 2656 Old 05-12-2017, 08:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonAV View Post
Tearfalls your advice is sound but this soundbar unlike a dedicated av receiver only has 2 hdmi inputs, not several. I have this soundbar and I ha....


Yes it is a little bit inconvenient that this soundbar only has two HDMI in. But at least your way of connecting your UHD player still gives you ATMOS playback capacity which I think is the whole point of this soundbar. For the standard Dolby 5.1 sound as long as the ARC works it should be an acceptable compromise if one does not want to go through the trouble of setting up an HDMI hub.
tearfalls is offline  
post #1508 of 2656 Old 05-12-2017, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
jeep05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N.C.
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertzius View Post
@jeep05 He simply tried to help you. Why should anyone buy a Dolby Atmos soundbar which is 500$ more expensive than a sound bar without Atmos to connect it in a way where Atmos cannot be used? This is not understandable.

If you would have bothered to read my original post on the subject, I get ATMOS just fine with my K8500 BD Player's HDMI running to the soundbar via the 2nd HDMI output designed for audio.
naustin likes this.

Last edited by jeep05; 05-13-2017 at 07:44 AM.
jeep05 is offline  
post #1509 of 2656 Old 05-12-2017, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hobbs47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post
If you would have bothered to read my original post on the subject, I get ATMOS just fine with my K8500 BD Player's HDMI running to the soundbar via the 2nd HDMI output designed for audio.
I do the same jeep. I actually don't run any video through my soundbar now as I have found the pq not as good as when I run straight to the tv, at least with 4k/HDR stuff.
jeep05 likes this.

LG OLED65B6P /LG UP970 4k Bluray/Chromecast Ultra
Nvidia Shield Pro Media Player/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar
hobbs47 is online now  
post #1510 of 2656 Old 05-12-2017, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
jeep05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N.C.
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
I do the same jeep. I actually don't run any video through my soundbar now as I have found the pq not as good as when I run straight to the tv, at least with 4k/HDR stuff.
Glad I'm not the only one doing it wrong I have no intention of ever running video thru this bar as I agree with you on the slight degrading of PQ.
jeep05 is offline  
post #1511 of 2656 Old 05-14-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post
If you would have bothered to read my original post on the subject, I get ATMOS just fine with my K8500 BD Player's HDMI running to the soundbar via the 2nd HDMI output designed for audio.
Everybody thinks ARC is wonderful when it works. Modern TVs have more HDMI ports than the SB. Jeep, I agree with your approach completely HDMI to SB for Atmos and optical for the rest.
jeep05 likes this.
naustin is online now  
post #1512 of 2656 Old 05-14-2017, 12:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagyl View Post
Good morning.

I was in your same position. I had already sent my bar back to Samsung, to a repair facility in NJ.

I called them a third time and told the service rep that I would only accept one of three outcomes from Samsung-1)I would send the bar to the repair facility at THEIR COST (I had sent it there the first time at my cost of ~$160) and they must fix it.
2)They would have to send me a brand new working bar.
3)Give me back a full refund. I bought a HW-K950, not an 850, so I felt I should have a working woofer and rears.

Samsung sent me a UPS label that was prepaid and this time, they replaced the whole "main board". When I got the bar back, the rears and subwoofer do not disconnect. It works perfectly as far as I can tell. The rears are still relatively low and the hiss is there, but they stay connected.

IF you are still interested in owning the bar, I would suggest calling Samsung and being firm (not rude, because the rep can't really control Samsung policy) and demand that they fix your ~$1,600 item under one of the three above terms. If you have already sent your bar in, refuse to pay for shipping again. And tell them if you are a long time Samsung patron, as I am (was?) how you will not spend any more money with them.

It seemed to work for me. That said, I don't think I will be buying any more Samsung audio products.

In edit-do not hesitate to move your interaction to a higher level (mid-manager or higher, if you can).

Thanks! I'll give it another shot.
I actually called the dutch Samsung helpdesk a couple days ago and it was horrible haga. I had to explain the priblem about 10 times, she the asked if i could power on my tv and setup remote service.
Once i did al that she informed me she wasnt from tech support so she couldnt do anything for me? Except waste 20 minutes of my time.
She asked if i was available to receive a call back in the next 2 hours so i stayed at home for it and they never called me back.
RickSomething is offline  
post #1513 of 2656 Old 05-14-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lparsons21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,306
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I've been lucky I guess. My 950 has been nearly flawless with only an occasional glitch, like suddenly producing no sound and requiring a shutdown/restart for no apparent rhyme or reason. I'm fine with that.

The problem with all too many things we buy is that the companies seem to get worse and worse about backing up what they sell. That's much more irritating in most cases, than the actual problem IMO.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jeep05 likes this.

Lloyd
lparsons21 is online now  
post #1514 of 2656 Old 05-14-2017, 07:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Question:

When you have a movie in Atmos mode, how come my rear speakers, the Radiant R1 speakers not work?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
KurisuRamaSama is offline  
post #1515 of 2656 Old 05-15-2017, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Expidia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Not to pop everyones excitement, but regarding the rumored DTS update May 22nd . . .
I for one have never heard of a rep or tech support giving out any information as to when an update will be introduced or what it will address.
Seems the reps and tech's are always the last to know.

Yes, I read the posts where a rep said it's due out May 22nd by some samsung rep.

But ask yourself . . . when have you ever heard of a samsung rep being correct on any potential update?

I only have one DVD that is DTS, so I have no skin in the game either way as I have only collected a few Atmos sound track Ultra 4k HD blurays since I got the 950.

But if it happens, the early adopters of the 950 deserve DTS. This sound bar for its high cost clearly should decode either DTS or Atmos dvd's.
jeep05 likes this.

UNK65KS8500 (curved model)
HW-K950 Samsung Atmos soundbar-with rears
HW-J8500 Samsung Soundbar (sold 10-24-16)
Sanus universal soundbar speaker mount SA405B1
Samsung 4K Ultra HD Bluray player UBDK8500
Harmony 650 remote ($43 amazon)
Expidia is offline  
post #1516 of 2656 Old 05-15-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
Not to pop everyones excitement, but regarding the rumored DTS update May 22nd . . .
I for one have never heard of a rep or tech support giving out any information as to when an update will be introduced or what it will address.
Seems the reps and tech's are always the last to know.

Yes, I read the posts where a rep said it's due out May 22nd by some samsung rep.

But ask yourself . . . when have you ever heard of a samsung rep being correct on any potential update?

I only have one DVD that is DTS, so I have no skin in the game either way as I have only collected a few Atmos sound track Ultra 4k HD blurays since I got the 950.

But if it happens, the early adopters of the 950 deserve DTS. This were bar for its high cost clearly should decode either DTS or Atmos dvd's.
Totaly agree with you on your above statement. My guess is if they were going to release such an important update they would not be keeping it such a deep dark secret.
Expidia and jeep05 like this.
william06 is online now  
post #1517 of 2656 Old 05-15-2017, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Expidia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
Totaly agree with you on your above statement. My guess is if they were going to release such an important update they would not be keeping it such a deep dark secret.
The rep who annouced that update is probably already working for his local korean taco bell slinging tacos and mexican pizza

UNK65KS8500 (curved model)
HW-K950 Samsung Atmos soundbar-with rears
HW-J8500 Samsung Soundbar (sold 10-24-16)
Sanus universal soundbar speaker mount SA405B1
Samsung 4K Ultra HD Bluray player UBDK8500
Harmony 650 remote ($43 amazon)
Expidia is offline  
post #1518 of 2656 Old 05-15-2017, 02:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
the rep who annouced that update is probably already working for his local korean taco bell slinging tacos and mexican pizza :d
hw-j950?
tearfalls is offline  
post #1519 of 2656 Old 05-15-2017, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Expidia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearfalls View Post
hw-j950?
Yes!

If you meant that the letters in my signature for the 950 were working, thx I corrected it . . . my bad

UNK65KS8500 (curved model)
HW-K950 Samsung Atmos soundbar-with rears
HW-J8500 Samsung Soundbar (sold 10-24-16)
Sanus universal soundbar speaker mount SA405B1
Samsung 4K Ultra HD Bluray player UBDK8500
Harmony 650 remote ($43 amazon)

Last edited by Expidia; 05-16-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Expidia is offline  
post #1520 of 2656 Old 05-15-2017, 09:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
Yes!
What is that?
tearfalls is offline  
post #1521 of 2656 Old 05-16-2017, 01:13 AM
Member
 
DemonAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: London, England
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It could have been a north Korean hack of Samsung to discredit their southern capitalist scum neighbours tech support? Hang on, they're great at that without the north's help!!
Expidia likes this.
DemonAV is offline  
post #1522 of 2656 Old 05-16-2017, 08:00 PM
Senior Member
 
flagyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: california
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagyl View Post
Good morning.

I was in your same position. I had already sent my bar back to Samsung, to a repair facility in NJ.

I called them a third time and told the service rep that I would only accept one of three outcomes from Samsung-1)I would send the bar to the repair facility at THEIR COST (I had sent it there the first time at my cost of ~$160) and they must fix it.
2)They would have to send me a brand new working bar.
3)Give me back a full refund. I bought a HW-K950, not an 850, so I felt I should have a working woofer and rears.

Samsung sent me a UPS label that was prepaid and this time, they replaced the whole "main board". When I got the bar back, the rears and subwoofer do not disconnect. It works perfectly as far as I can tell. The rears are still relatively low and the hiss is there, but they stay connected.

IF you are still interested in owning the bar, I would suggest calling Samsung and being firm (not rude, because the rep can't really control Samsung policy) and demand that they fix your ~$1,600 item under one of the three above terms. If you have already sent your bar in, refuse to pay for shipping again. And tell them if you are a long time Samsung patron, as I am (was?) how you will not spend any more money with them.

It seemed to work for me. That said, I don't think I will be buying any more Samsung audio products.

In edit-do not hesitate to move your interaction to a higher level (mid-manager or higher, if you can).

Ok...so the rears and subwoofer stopped working this past Sunday.

Called Samsung and told them that since option one didn't work (fixing it), I wanted option two or three. After talking with CSRs and supervisors (waiting on hold for more than an hour over a 48 hour period), I was told to send an email to Samsung with my receipt. I am supposed to get a response by Thursday about whether they will give me a new one or refund my money.

I will update when more info is available.
flagyl is offline  
post #1523 of 2656 Old 05-17-2017, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Expidia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Interesting observation: if you look at the forums main page under soundbars it shows the 950 forum consistently hovering in the top quartile as to posting activity. There are almost 100,000 posts in this 950 forum. This has to show samsung that with this kind of interest . . . this level of activity blows away all the other soundbar brands).

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-soundbars/

For one this shows that there probably is an excess of problems that samsung has to address.
and two, that maybe they actually will put out the DTS update (I doubt it because samsung does not make good decisions from my experience). But they may be forced to because DTS is such a large part of the market and competitors are sure to come out with soundbars that decode both DTS and Atmos.

My experience with tech product companies is they will build fixes into their next models forcing people to upgrade.

What they fail to factor in is that when people are unhappy with the 950 rather than buy the next model they simply switch their loyalties to another brand. I have mostly samsung branded audio/visual products. If this 950 does not get updates to improve various issues I for one am done with samsung products. This carries over to their appliances and smart phones. I would never buy any of their other products again after all the issues they have.

Side note: my daughter a few months back, bought a new samsung washer and dryer for her new home. Her baby was 3 months old and then she gets a recall letter that the washer lids have been blowing up off the top of the washer. can you imagine if she was holding her baby at the time. We told lowes to pick them both up and get them out of her house and replace them with LG products at no charge which they gladly did.

Before that some samsung smart phones were catching fire. They replaced that model with a corrected model and then some of those were catching fire.

With almost 1000,000 posts in this forum, unless they put out a DTS update at some point rather than force consumers into their next $1500 model and also address the 950's other issues, I think a lot of consumers feel the same way about ever "making another samsung product purchase".

Anyone else feel from their 950 experience, that they are done with "all other" samsung future product purchases??? This is the only way these stubborn tech companies listen. Money talks to them, the potential loss of future sales talk to them.

And I'm happy with my 950 purchase. The updates they put through months ago have solved my previous issues. But I've been a poster in this forum almost from the intro of the 950 and I feel bad for so many of the members here always having the same issues that samsung simply does not address. They make beautiful looking products (my whole family has only bought samsung tv's for many years) but with this 950 service after the sale . . . sucks!

They have the audacity to only have 1 or 2 service centers that work on this 950 soundbar and then have the consumer to pay like $150 to ship it back and then don't even fix it. This should be a class action suit for owners like the post above this post. She has been getting screwed by samsung for a long time from what I see of all her posts
flagyl and DemonAV like this.

UNK65KS8500 (curved model)
HW-K950 Samsung Atmos soundbar-with rears
HW-J8500 Samsung Soundbar (sold 10-24-16)
Sanus universal soundbar speaker mount SA405B1
Samsung 4K Ultra HD Bluray player UBDK8500
Harmony 650 remote ($43 amazon)

Last edited by Expidia; 05-17-2017 at 05:15 AM.
Expidia is offline  
post #1524 of 2656 Old 05-17-2017, 07:15 AM
Member
 
DemonAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: London, England
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Absolutely. Anyone who knows me will confirm that I've already gone on the record as I will not be buying Samsung products again. I've spent fortunes on their speakers, phones, tvs and soundbars that have all caused me issues and have simply been a pain in the ass and I've had the misfortune in trying to deal with their tech support who don't seem to know what they're on about.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Expidia and tdrozdowski like this.
DemonAV is offline  
post #1525 of 2656 Old 05-17-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
Interesting observation: if you look at the forums main page under soundbars it shows the 950 forum consistently hovering in the top quartile as to posting activity. There are almost 100,000 posts in this 950 forum. This has to show samsung that with this kind of interest . . . this level of activity blows away all the other soundbar brands).
Been following this thread from the beginning. I really wanted to buy the 950, but the continuing problems have kept me away. This is an expensive bar to have so many issues. Definitely NOT a case of you get what you pay for.... Hope things get better.
Expidia likes this.
naustin is online now  
post #1526 of 2656 Old 05-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Been following this thread from the beginning. I really wanted to buy the 950, but the continuing problems have kept me away. This is an expensive bar to have so many issues. Definitely NOT a case of you get what you pay for.... Hope things get better.
For what it's worth, I've had very few issues with mine. (Knock on wood)
jeep05 likes this.
peterjoualee is online now  
post #1527 of 2656 Old 05-18-2017, 10:31 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
FOR PEOPLE HAVING SYNCING PROBLEMS WITH SUB AND SURROUND SPEAKERS.

See last paragraph for solution.

I bought my HW-K950's back in January and straight out of the box the speakers were not synced. After two hours of following every set of manual syncing instructions I could find. The issue was after following the instructions and holding down the volume button the words "ID SET" never came up and the speakers never synced. I finally did something I never do, which was call support. After and hour of trying everything the tech could offer it magically displayed the "ID SET" message and the speakers synced. I questioned what the actual solution was but my speakers were working so I didn't care.

Now too two weeks ago. I come home to find the surround sound speaker were not syncing. Again I tried everything I could think of and had to resort to calling Samsung support. This time after about ten minutes of troubleshooting the tech said I have a defective unit and it needs to be sent to a service center. After becoming a little agitated I ask how long the repairs were going to take magically the line went dead though the call did not disconnect. I left my phone connected until the Samsung system dropped the call, screw the tech call average.

So to the solution: I was searching and found this thread and found some were having similar issues I scanned through each page of the thread. Finally I came upon a post (I am sorry I can't seem to find the post again to give proper credit) that advised disconnecting the wireless connection by attempting to add a Wifi connection by pressing the Wifi button on the back but never complete the syncing process. As soon as the Wifi was disconnected the speakers synced immediately "ID SET". I even disconnected the speakers again to see if would sync right away again, and magic it did.

All credit goes to that original poster of the solution and I recommend this get a topic sticky. thank you
Jesse Dietrich is offline  
post #1528 of 2656 Old 05-19-2017, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
Expidia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Dietrich View Post
[B]

So to the solution: I was searching and found this thread and found some were having similar issues I scanned through each page of the thread. Finally I came upon a post (I am sorry I can't seem to find the post again to give proper credit) that advised disconnecting the wireless connection by attempting to add a Wifi connection by pressing the Wifi button on the back but never complete the syncing process. As soon as the Wifi was disconnected the speakers synced immediately "ID SET". I even disconnected the speakers again to see if would sync right away again, and magic it did.

All credit goes to that original poster of the solution and I recommend this get a topic sticky. thank you
Also, for newer owners be aware that if your mobile samsung app won't read your current software build or you can't update the unit . . . and this might effect syncing issues too, is that if you have a dual band router like I do. I use an Asus 2.4 and 5G band router. $84.99 on amazon (ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router). This one doubled the range of my old router. They seem to run all the time because of how many devices I have connected to it plus a lot of movie streaming so they tend to burn out for me after only a few years now.

Your mobile phone app and the 950 all have to be using the same band on the router. Since the 950 automatically connects it can be connected to the opposite band of the wifi network that your smartphone is connected to.

It's easier to just change the band (wifi network 2.4 or 5G) that your smartphone is connected to than it is to get the 950 to change band its connect to.

First turn your speaker "on". Then open the samsung mobile app on your phone, Next press the gear symbol at top right corner. then scroll down to device settings and click on update.
I leave mine on auto update and my current version is 3111.2/0338.OR

If you can't get through the steps above chances are your smart phone and 950 are connected to different wifi networks if you are using one of the newer dual band routers.

This has been discussed already earlier on in this forum of 1527 posts and 98,570 views to date.
Check out the multiple posts on the avforums.com as to the many issues users are reporting there too with very little help or resolutions from samsung support.

For a soundbar of this high cost it should have onscreen viewing of how its connected.

Hopefully, the next rumored update will address more user issues, because other than its inherent software issues . . . it is an amazing piece of audio equipment . . . when its working correctly
jeep05 likes this.

UNK65KS8500 (curved model)
HW-K950 Samsung Atmos soundbar-with rears
HW-J8500 Samsung Soundbar (sold 10-24-16)
Sanus universal soundbar speaker mount SA405B1
Samsung 4K Ultra HD Bluray player UBDK8500
Harmony 650 remote ($43 amazon)

Last edited by Expidia; 05-19-2017 at 05:08 AM.
Expidia is offline  
post #1529 of 2656 Old 05-19-2017, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
jeep05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N.C.
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post

Your mobile phone app and the 950 all have to be using the same band on the router. Since the 950 automatically connects it can be connected to the opposite band of the wifi network that your smartphone is connected to.


Expedia, I thought this as well until I replaced my old netgear router with an ASUS 1900 and discovered that my phone was connecting to 2.4g and the 950 was and still is connected to 5g and all functions work normally on the App. Why is this? I ask because I'm not very savvy with routers.


BTW, never had a disconnect from speakers or sub in the 2 short months I've owned it. (knock on wood) or lucky me.

Last edited by jeep05; 05-19-2017 at 07:39 AM.
jeep05 is offline  
post #1530 of 2656 Old 05-19-2017, 07:52 AM
Newbie
 
srachamallu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post
Expedia, I thought this as well until I replaced my old netgear router with an ASUS 1900 and discovered that my phone was connecting to 2.4g and the 950 was and still is connected to 5g and all functions work normally on the App. Why is this? I ask because I'm not very savvy with routers.


BTW, never had a disconnect from speakers or sub in the 2 short months I've owned it. (knock on wood) or lucky me.
I had google wifimesh network and it seamlessly communicates between devices connected in different bands, lot of the new routers can do his. Just wondering as on samsung website shows latest firmware for K50 is 3108.X and mine updated using samsung app showed as 3111.2.

searched for this firmware and found samsung K650 had this 3111.2 firmware, hope its not a bug and samsung pushed K650 app to my K950.
srachamallu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Soundbars

Tags
HW-K850 , HW-K950

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off