Samsung HW-K850 & HW-K950 Dolby Atmos Soundbars - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 440Likes

post #1711 of 2730 Old 06-16-2017, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cultman1 View Post
I'm still not convinced YES or NO to 5.1 DTS on this hw-k950 sound bar following the firmware upgrade... Samsung Uk were non committal when I asked them what the latest firmware upgrade offered....
How can you be unsure? If you own the Samsung it's easy to test for yourself. If you don't have the unit then you have enough feedback from experienced members to know it works. Just to be sure, the firmware update DEFINITELY includes playback for DTS 5.1. Never contact Samsung tech support, they are awful and you will learn a lot more from the forums.
jeep05 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2730 Old 06-16-2017, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Anybody with the Nvidia Shield connected to their HW-K950? I'm not getting DTS-HD to play from my mkv bluray rips via SPMC or KODI. If I go into the menu and select a regular DTS it plays fine. I'm just a little confused as some have said DTS-MA plays back fine, albeit just the core DTS. I'd like to cut out the extra step of changing the audio in the menu. I also have my 4k UHD players audio going through the soundbar, I will throw a DTS-MA disc in there tonight to test. Any help with settings on the Shield is appreciated.

LG OLED65B6P /LG UP970 4k Bluray/Chromecast Ultra
Nvidia Shield Pro Media Player/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar

Last edited by hobbs47; 06-16-2017 at 03:21 PM.
post #1713 of 2730 Old 06-16-2017, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
Anybody with the Nvidia Shield connected to their HW-K950? I'm not getting DTS-HD to play from my mkv bluray rips via SPMC or KODI. If I go into the menu and select a regular DTS it plays fine. I'm just a little confused as some have said DTS-MA plays back fine, albeit just the core DTS. I'd like to cut out the extra step of changing the audio in the menu. I also have my 4k UHD players audio going through the soundbar, I will throw a DTS-MA disc in there tonight to test. Any help with settings on the Shield is appreciated.
Same with me. DTS-HD MA playes in complete silent on my XBOX. But DTS 5.1 plays fine. I'm still confused by some claiming they can play DTS-HD MA fine.

post #1714 of 2730 Old 06-16-2017, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Thought this was funny . . . after the new update or maybe after I rebooted my router when we overloaded a circuit and popped the breaker a few days ago . . .
And before I could test out my only DTS 5.1 MA DVD (the revenant) I had first had to play the manual set up game to get the rears to synced again (all blue lights).

Of course, I had the left rear giving me issues where it would not stop flashing. So I unplugged the speakers and the base again to start all over. But this time I remembered that unplugging the sound bar sometimes finally would get all speakers to sync again with all solid blue lights. It worked.

So what I was suprised at when I went to unplug the power cord from the speaker to the right of the plug socket on the back of the 950 is stamped in white letters . . . Dolby Atmos and then DTS . . . I said to myself samsung has B*lls to put DTS on the 950, but didn't include the software to play the DTS format

Tonight when I went to take a pic of it . . . I now see in small letters under DTS it says 2.0 channel!

Hey, maybe samsung after this firmware update is now going to send "all the owners" a sticker to put over that wording and have it now say DTS 5.1

Chris1212 likes this.

UNK65KS8500 (curved model)
HW-K950 Samsung Atmos soundbar-with rears
HW-J8500 Samsung Soundbar (sold 10-24-16)
Sanus universal soundbar speaker mount SA405B1
Samsung 4K Ultra HD Bluray player UBDK8500
Harmony 650 remote ($43 amazon)
post #1715 of 2730 Old 06-16-2017, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Hey all, I finally got my lg OLED TV, this sound bar and my Xbox one s all connected, only to have an error when I try to enable Atmos as the HDMI audio bitstream output format on my Xbox. The error says "check your audio receiver" with a code of "0x80bd0009". I searched this thread and didn't see anyone come across this issue. Anyone have any insight?

Edit: it randomly started working....im just going to write this off as caised by a gremlin.

Second edit: I've somehow lost the ability to see video on any 4k Blu-ray now. Non-issue when the Xbox one s is connected directly to the TV. All cables are high speed rated. The 4k Blu Ray menus show, audio plays, but no video. Argggg.

Sent my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Orrkis; 06-16-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Weird
post #1716 of 2730 Old 06-16-2017, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrkis View Post
Hey all, I finally got my lg OLED TV, this sound bar and my Xbox one s all connected, only to have an error when I try to enable Atmos as the HDMI audio bitstream output format on my Xbox. The error says "check your audio receiver" with a code of "0x80bd0009". I searched this thread and didn't see anyone come across this issue. Anyone have any insight?

Edit: it randomly started working....im just going to write this off as caised by a gremlin.

Second edit: I've somehow lost the ability to see video on any 4k Blu-ray now. Non-issue when the Xbox one s is connected directly to the TV. All cables are high speed rated. The 4k Blu Ray menus show, audio plays, but no video. Argggg.

Hi, new to the forum but have been following this thread for sometime now. I have been meaning to post this exact issue that I've also discovered since the latest update. With my Xbox One S connected to either the 850 system or the 950 system I'm not getting any video from physical disc playback on the Xbox unless connected directly to the tv and not passthrough the soundbar.

I tried to submit a bug report with Samsung support but as mentioned by others on this forum it was a complete waste of time. Long story short support confirmed that I what I was telling them was accurate that the problem was with the soundbar but then they back pedaled and blamed Microsoft, myself for updating the firmware (automatic over WiFi), and finally demanded I ship them both sound systems for "hardware" problems.

All other aspects of sounds and video (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, gaming and HBO) work with the Xbox being passthrough the soundbar including the dolby access upscaling to Atmos. I suppose all we can do is wait for the next firmware and hope the issue is resolved?
post #1717 of 2730 Old 06-16-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarm View Post
Hi, new to the forum but have been following this thread for sometime now. I have been meaning to post this exact issue that I've also discovered since the latest update. With my Xbox One S connected to either the 850 system or the 950 system I'm not getting any video from physical disc playback on the Xbox unless connected directly to the tv and not passthrough the soundbar.

I tried to submit a bug report with Samsung support but as mentioned by others on this forum it was a complete waste of time. Long story short support confirmed that I what I was telling them was accurate that the problem was with the soundbar but then they back pedaled and blamed Microsoft, myself for updating the firmware (automatic over WiFi), and finally demanded I ship them both sound systems for "hardware" problems.

All other aspects of sounds and video (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, gaming and HBO) work with the Xbox being passthrough the soundbar including the dolby access upscaling to Atmos. I suppose all we can do is wait for the next firmware and hope the issue is resolved?
Looks like I'm not allowed to edit posts so here's and addendum to my previous post.

As a workaround if I start the physical media playing on the Xbox and then power cycle a combination of the soundbar and or tv I am able to get visible video.
Orrkis likes this.
post #1718 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I get the same thing with xbox s
Jorellh likes this.
post #1719 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 12:26 AM

Also when atmos is switched on I get no rear channels, plus the atmos demos don't show in the dolby app. I think people getting rear channels might have the fake surround on maybe?
post #1720 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 12:28 AM

I'm going to test to see whether ps4 has the same problem (I doubt it) it seems like an hdcp issue, thought I it might be my hdmi cables
post #1721 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 01:53 AM

Can confirm it works with fine with ps4 with exactly the same setup so probably xbox related
post #1722 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxbrother View Post
I haven't updated the firmware yet. So I'm still on the stock firmware. I'll put some DTS discs in so I can hear what the soundbar does. Maybe later I'll update to the latest firmware and put the same DTS discs in to hear what is changed.
please let us know if this works!
post #1723 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Will do !!
post #1724 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Will do !!
I'm listening to Independence Day Resurgence Blu Ray, which has DTS-HDMA 7.1 on it.
I'm getting audio out of all the speakers,
including the rears.
I thought I'd read here that you don't get audio out of the speakers when you play DTS-HDMA audio.
My HW-K950 is new, so I don't have the latest update of the firmware installed.
So how come I get the audio when playing the DTS-HDMA 7.1 track ?

My settings in the UBD-K8500 are :
Bitstream without processing
PCM downsampling - on
Dynamic range - auto
Downmixing - normal stereo
Modus DTS neo:6 - off
Hdmi audio output - auto

Update: on the remote there's a sound button, the surround button was turned on, when I turned it off, the sound no longer came from the rear speakers.
So that was the reason.

So with the new update the DTS sound is much better quality from the rears then ? Or will it not make much of a difference in quality ?

Last edited by Soxbrother; 06-17-2017 at 05:57 AM.
post #1725 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Looks like I'm not allowed to edit posts so here's and addendum to my previous post.

As a workaround if I start the physical media playing on the Xbox and then power cycle a combination of the soundbar and or tv I am able to get visible video.
I can confirm this workaround, ermmmm, works. It only needs to be done once, not every time a new disc is put in. At least that's how it is with my unit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #1726 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpholden View Post
Also when atmos is switched on I get no rear channels, plus the atmos demos don't show in the dolby app. I think people getting rear channels might have the fake surround on maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpholden View Post
I'm going to test to see whether ps4 has the same problem (I doubt it) it seems like an hdcp issue, thought I it might be my hdmi cables
When Atmos is enabled via the Dolby Access app on my Xbox One through both the 850 and 950 soundbar if I press the simulated surround button on the remote, the screen on the soundbar scrolls "not available".

As far as the HDMI goes with the Xbox I found I had an old cable that was causing me issues early on in the setup. I believe you need a minimum of a cable that supports HDMI 2.0a (I ended up purchasing a longer one for 6 dollars at a grocery store) to get 4K with HDR working. If you go on the Xbox into the (Settings -> Display & Sound-> Advanced Video Settings -> 4K TV Details) of your cable is ok you should have all green checks on that window.
post #1727 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Dolby Access app on Xb1 is meant for use with headphones to simulate ATMOS from 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM audio. It is not really meant for real thing. Then there is a bitstream option for Bluray app that allows you to bitstream ATMOS track from BD/UHD disc to AVR or soundbar. Two are different and don't work together.
post #1728 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I'm still not convinced YES or NO to 5.1 DTS on this hw-k950 sound bar following the firmware upgrade... Samsung Uk were non committal when I asked them what the latest firmware upgrade offered....
Samsung UK are useless. They know less about their product lines than we do. Take everything they say as the opposite.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Ellebob likes this.
post #1729 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonAV View Post
Samsung UK are useless. They know less about their product lines than we do. Take everything they say as the opposite.

i have installed via my i phone samsung app the 3133.5 firmware upgrade and checked on the 950 it has been installed which is has. Still no rear sound through my rear speakers when i play a DTS blu ray using my oppo 203 player. Is there a setting i have wrong on my oppo for playing all my DTS blu rays through the 950? Confused.....
post #1730 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 09:53 AM

what setting do i need on the 950 remote for DTS? Movie mode? the Oppo shows DTS on its mini screen
post #1731 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
When Atmos is enabled via the Dolby Access app on my Xbox One through both the 850 and 950 soundbar if I press the simulated surround button on the remote, the screen on the soundbar scrolls "not available".

As far as the HDMI goes with the Xbox I found I had an old cable that was causing me issues early on in the setup. I believe you need a minimum of a cable that supports HDMI 2.0a (I ended up purchasing a longer one for 6 dollars at a grocery store) to get 4K with HDR working. If you go on the Xbox into the (Settings -> Display & Sound-> Advanced Video Settings -> 4K TV Details) of your cable is ok you should have all green checks on that window.
Yes is all green, my cables are new but just checked and only v1.4!
post #1732 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Dolby Access app on Xb1 is meant for use with headphones to simulate ATMOS from 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM audio. It is not really meant for real thing. Then there is a bitstream option for Bluray app that allows you to bitstream ATMOS track from BD/UHD disc to AVR or soundbar. Two are different and don't work together.
There are two different portions of the Access app, one is for Home Theater and one is for Headphones. The home theater portion is free and I think the headphones portion is $14.99. With Access installed and configured in the Xbox Settings -> Display & Sound -> Audio Output -> Bitstream Format I have the option of "Dolby Atmos for home theater (HDMI only)". With this enabled there is Atmos upscaling taking place for streaming video services. And the soundbar screen scrolls Dolby Atmos and the blue indicator lamp is illuminated. It's not perfect by any means yet as through the system menus there are pops but after you start a program it will activate the Atmos in about 3 seconds and then works throughout the show or movie.

Then I also can have the setting set in the Bluray app to pass data unprocessed to my av receiver which I do when there is a true Atmos soundtrack included in the physical disc.
post #1733 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrkis View Post

I too, am experiencing the same exact problem and find it infuriating. I called Microsoft and they were dumbfounded, and suggested that I send in my Xbox One S for repair. This was when I assumed it was the fault of the Xbox. However, after hooking it up directly to my TV, Sony 75X940D, it showed the 4k picture of. John Wick 2 just fine.

I was so frustrated that I finally caved and bought a Sony X800 for movies hooked up directly to the TV, with the secondary HDMI out homes up to the Samsung K950 just for sound. While this method "works", it is finicky and. problematic. Needless to say, I'll avoid Samsung in the future.
post #1734 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonAV View Post

It is the same in the US!
post #1735 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I had to test out the Dolby Atmos sound on the 950 with the new firmware. Connected to HDMI 2 - I had initial problems getting the Xbox to recognize that the soundbar was Atmos capable. I turned the headphone option to 'Off' and it wound up somehow fixing it for me. Was able to play the Atmos demos which are interesting. Hulu runs as Atmos as well - but didn't really seem to do much to the shows I watched. None of the games run as Atmos (the Xbox does say ' Atmos for Home Theatre') - but I wanted to try since the Xbox One X will evidently support Atmos for games, so was hoping it was backported... I didn't attempt to play a UHD BluRay on the One S - maybe I will later to see if I get the same issue others are facing.

I dunno - for me - will continue to use the dedicate Samsung 8500 UHD player. I see zero benefits to using the Xbox One S with this - unless it is your only UHD player.

I can also confirm that my issues with the soundbar turning off inbetween episodes of Hulu is fixed with 3113 firmware. Its generally addressed the stability issues I was seeing with the Soundbar and the JS9500 TV.

I'll be testing things tonight around DTS with Prometheus...hopefully that's also a positive experience.
post #1736 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:

Update: on the remote there's a sound button, the surround button was turned on, when I turned it off, the sound no longer came from the rear speakers.
So that was the reason.

So with the new update the DTS sound is much better quality from the rears then ? Or will it not make much of a difference in quality ?
With the 'surround' mode engaged the soundbar is making a faux 5.1 sound from a stereo source. If you update the firmware then you will hear the proper DTS 5.1 core of the DTS MA track. In other words, the sound will be a lot better as you will be hearing the proper 5.1 track and not a fake one. Update that firmware
Soxbrother likes this.
post #1737 of 2730 Old 06-17-2017, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 59
FWIW - RE: XBox One S + No UHD Video Playback ...

I did run into this issue tonight. I got Atmos audio from the Xbox One S - but no video. Even the pop up menu worked.

I had two copies of the BluRay player app on my Xbox - one on the internal and one on the external. I UN-installed both and re-downloaded. Low and behold it now all works.

I'm testing it with the Storks UHD disk - which has DTS MA 7.1. The Xbox is converting it to Dolby (at least the blue light is on, on the 950) - and it sounds great. Very crisp, nice bass - almost as good as regular Atmos. Definitely a marked improvement over previous playbacks. (At least to me - and of course, with just a single disk)

But the bottom line is - if you have the no video trick - try to UN-install and re-install the BluRay app and see if that fixes it for you. I'm going to guess that something may have corrupted during the recent updated or during the Atmos app install. Anyhow, pretty pleased with this. May be time to retire the 8500 to another TV...
post #1738 of 2730 Old 06-18-2017, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1212 View Post
With the 'surround' mode engaged the soundbar is making a faux 5.1 sound from a stereo source. If you update the firmware then you will hear the proper DTS 5.1 core of the DTS MA track. In other words, the sound will be a lot better as you will be hearing the proper 5.1 track and not a fake one. Update that firmware
Thanks for the info, I will do the update soon.

One question though :
I read numerous posts here and on the samsung support community about connecting issues with the left rear speaker. For the moment I haven't had this problem with the left speaker. So that problem probably was introduced with a previous firmware update ?

So if i do this latest firmware update, will I then have to worry about thaving his connecting issue with the left rear speaker ? And what other differences are there between my firmware and this latest one ?
post #1739 of 2730 Old 06-18-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I will do the update soon.

One question though :
I read numerous posts here and on the samsung support community about connecting issues with the left rear speaker. For the moment I haven't had this problem with the left speaker. So that problem probably was introduced with a previous firmware update ?

So if i do this latest firmware update, will I then have to worry about thaving his connecting issue with the left rear speaker ? And what other differences are there between my firmware and this latest one ?
Don't worry about any connection issues, they are not addressed in this firmware. The only notable change is the introduction of proper DTS 5.1 playback, which is what we all wanted.
post #1740 of 2730 Old 06-18-2017, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1212 View Post
Don't worry about any connection issues, they are not addressed in this firmware. The only notable change is the introduction of proper DTS 5.1 playback, which is what we all wanted.
With that being said, when listening to cable or satellite source that outputs DD, should the sound mode be "off" and the effects set to movie or whatever to get the best sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
HW-K850 , HW-K950

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page