Samsung HW-K850 & HW-K950 Dolby Atmos Soundbars - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 357Likes

post #2191 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, i bought a k950 due to the atmos feature, i am using an nvidia shield 2015 running kodi and an LG B6 OLED TV.
If the source is 5.1 everything is ok
But if i use an atmos source such as the batman v superman atmos track, the light turns blue and there is “dolby atmos” showing on the LED of the soundbar. The surround sound is perfect and has a real difference compared to 5.1.
All is perfect except that there is NO VOICE! I tried putting my ear next to the center speakers fo the soundbar and there is no sound coming out, but when i shift back to 5.1 then i can hear sound coming out of the center speakers. Tried maximizing the volume of the center speakers but there’s no significant change.
Tried to change the settings in kodi to passthrough, even turned off the display sync. Tried every combination in the expert mode setting in kodi and still no voice. So i thought maybe its the nvidia shield. So i tried the bluray player, once again, the blue light turns on, but still no voice. Tried to change all the hdmi cable to 2.0b making sure the player is connected to the hdmi of the soundbar and the soundbar to the arc of the tv. Turned off the cec, etc...still no voice... I’m getting frustrated! Does anyone encountered the same problem as mine? Im thinking of returning the k950 because even though 5.1 is ok, i bought the system because of the atmos and i cant use that feature and it makes me disappointed. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxc12 View Post
HI,
looking for some help, just got the K950 and finding that the rear surrounds are not very loud, i usually test this on star trek blu ray and the scene when they board the romulan ship next to saturn the fight scenes have really good surround affects, but in the k950 its very faint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxc12 View Post
thanks, i tried that, however unsure if that even does anything as never noticed much difference, they only go +/- 3 either way, should be more in my opinion. but when i have the +3 on the surrounds, i put my ear to them to hear them and they seem very faint albeit something is coming out of them.

should i adjust anything in my blu ray player?
Yes I also +3 db my rears and -1 db front right left and center. I +2 db the front tops. Make just you are bitstreaming from your player. Try surround mode or standard or movie mode to see which you like best. Good luck.
post #2193 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineset View Post
Pretty desperate here if anyone could help. I have a Samsung ks9800 and the k950. I cannot get Atmos to enable. I have tried an of Xbox one, purchased and returned 2 Xbox one S, tried a laptop, and a desktop. Every single one says that my sound bar does not support Atmos. Everything was connected direct to the sound bar, I've tried about 15 different cables all of which were brand new high speed. My best guess was that the components are handshaking with the TV. The desktop seems to think that the bar is only stereo capable. Xbox will play Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 through the k950. About to toss this thing in the trash.
You bitstreaming Atmos source material into HDMI ports 1 or 2 not ARC. It should work if your source is truely sending Atmos and produce the blue light on the bar.

Last edited by naustin; 08-12-2017 at 10:43 AM.

post #2194 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Vudu does Atmos.
post #2195 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I have a HW-K950 soundbar system arriving today for an in-depth review. I plan to set it up in the same room as a full-sized 5.2.4 KEF R-series Atmos speaker system to see how it compares...
Hey Mark, I read your recent write up of the Samsung HW-MS750 soundbar and SWA-W700 10" wireless subwoofer and it raised a question for me regarding the HW-K950 that you also tested.

Is the Surround Sound button an additive feature that works with the Effect button and its six sound modes? According to your review of the HW-MS750, one over rides the other.

Thanks for any clarification.
post #2196 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I don't think it will work, a quick read says to me it is decoding the signal to a difference format, not splitting out audio. I'd suggest contacting hdfury and telling them what you want to do before buying the product. Let us know if it actually works for you.
I inboxed HD Fury and s/he states that it will allow one signal to go to the tv allowing the viewer to see HDR10 and Dolby Vision and another signal going to the sound bar, allowing for Dolby Atmos.

It appears that this should allow LG OLED owners with the 950 to have their cake and eat it too.

Last edited by flagyl; 08-12-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Spelling error fixed (too late :)).
post #2197 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagyl View Post
I inboxed HD Fury and s/he states that is will allow one signal to go to the tv allowing the viewer to see HDR10 and Dolby Vision and another signal going to the sound bar, allowing for Dolby Atmos.

It appears that this should allow LG OLED owners with the 950 to have their cake and eat it too.
Cool! Please let us know how it actually works for you.

Edit: I still can not visualise how you are going to get the TV's builtin DolbyVision video signal split to output audio/atmos to the soundbar's HDMI input. Maybe outputting to the HD Fury on the TVs ARC while disconnecting the soundbar's ARC port and just input directly to an HDMI input???

Last edited by naustin; 08-12-2017 at 12:21 PM.
post #2198 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:

Edit: I still can not visualise how you are going to get the TV's builtin DolbyVision video signal split to output audio/atmos to the soundbar's HDMI input. Maybe outputting to the HD Fury on the TVs ARC while disconnecting the soundbar's ARC port and just input directly to an HDMI input???
Don't think that will work. I think the only route he can go is plugging a Chromecast Ultra into the fury and split the signals at that point. Dolby Vision to the tv. Dolby Atmos to the sound bar.

Either way it's ****ty to have to jump through these hoops. If the Oppo would just get the Vudu app and/or the LG 4k player gets the DV update AND Vudu app, all would be great.

LG OLED65B6P /Samsung UBD-K8500/LG UP970 4k Bluray/Chromecast Ultra
Nvidia Shield Pro Media Player/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar
post #2199 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:

My plan is to NOT use any native TV apps (Amazon HDR or NetFlix, etc). I will use my UHD Bluray player as my 'smart device'. I will then take plug the output HDMI from the DVD player to into HDMI input of the Intergra. I will then take one output of the Intergra and send it to my LG OLED (non ARC input), hopefully allowing me to get Dolby Vision. I will then send the second HDMI out from the Integra (the reason for getting this splitter) to the 950, hopefully getting Dolby Atmos.

That is the plan, which I THINK will work and apparently, the HD Fury rep states it will work as well.
post #2200 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Yes I also +3 db my rears and -1 db front right left and center. I +2 db the front tops. Make just you are bitstreaming from your player. Try surround mode or standard or movie mode to see which you like best. Good luck.
Yeah i have that similar except i have turned the fronts (exc tops) to minus 3 and the rest to plus 3.

still figuring it out i guess. but seems like it should just be a simple things to turn them up louder easier.
naustin likes this.
post #2201 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
Don't think that will work. I think the only route he can go is plugging a Chromecast Ultra into the fury and split the signals at that point. Dolby Vision to the tv. Dolby Atmos to the sound bar.

Either way it's ****ty to have to jump through these hoops. If the Oppo would just get the Vudu app and/or the LG 4k player gets the DV update AND Vudu app, all would be great.
I don't think the CC Ultra supports DolbyVision at this time. Yes, this is jumping through hoops.
post #2202 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My plan is to NOT use any native TV apps (Amazon HDR or NetFlix, etc). I will use my UHD Bluray player as my 'smart device'. I will then take plug the output HDMI from the DVD player to into HDMI input of the Intergra. I will then take one output of the Intergra and send it to my LG OLED (non ARC input), hopefully allowing me to get Dolby Vision. I will then send the second HDMI out from the Integra (the reason for getting this splitter) to the 950, hopefully getting Dolby Atmos.

That is the plan, which I THINK will work and apparently, the HD Fury rep states it will work as well.
Spliting the UHD player signal is easy and doesn't require a HD Fury, most of them already have a separate audio HDMI output that you can plug into the soundbar or an AVR. If you want DolbyVision just from your UHD player then buy one from Lg, Oppo or the newly annouced Philip that will support DV.
post #2203 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I think you want the HD Fury to create a DolbyVision video signal from the UHD Players HDR10 signal.... I don't think this possible.
post #2204 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think the CC Ultra supports DolbyVision at this time. Yes, this is jumping through hoops.
It actually does with Vudu and Netflix. I believe in the CCU thread there was an owner that ran his CCU through his Denon receiver that passed DV and he was able to achieve Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos via Vudu.
Here's the post
***Official*** Google Chromecast ULTRA owner's thread

Last edited by hobbs47; 08-12-2017 at 01:30 PM.
post #2205 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
It actually does with Vudu and Netflix. I believe in the CCU thread there was an owner that ran his CCU through his Denon receiver that passed DV and he was able to achieve Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos via Vudu.
Here's the post
***Official*** Google Chromecast ULTRA owner's thread
You are right. Brain freeze on my part, its the Roku Ultra that doesn't do DV.

Edit:Inputing a CCU into a HD Fury might work for me. Pain having to kludge more stuff on the video rack.

Last edited by naustin; 08-12-2017 at 02:06 PM.
post #2206 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You are right. Brain freeze on my part, its the Roku Ultra that doesn't do DV.

Edit:Inputing a CCU into a HD Fury might work for me. Pain having to kludge more stuff on the video rack.
Yeah it would probably work for my setup. I just know that once I bought the HD Fury that Oppo and LG will magically add Vudu with DV and DA. I'll just be patient I guess.
naustin likes this.

post #2207 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Here's the reply I got from Samsung on the new firmware:

Below is what was updated in version 3114.2.

Improvement Points

1) Volume step is changed to 100 (used to be 50 when it's not connected with TV)

2) Black screen issue when it's connected with Xbox

3) Support Amazon Prime & new Deezer UX (same as R series speakers)

4) Set TV speaker in HDMI IN mode when there's no HDMI signal (TMDS)

5) and other minor fixes.

If you know, can you please explain what #4 means? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #2208 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 05:08 PM

Before the 3114 update, I set the soundbar to HDMI1 when watching any Blu-ray in Atmos or DTS, with or without Dolby Vision. Since the 3114 update, however, I am now seeing "AVR Speaker" when watching a non-Atmos disc, and there practically is no sound coming from the rear speakers. I switched source to TV ARC, and it made no difference. What is "AVR Speaker"? What happened to my DTS?? Samsung really made a royal mess of things. Help!

post #2209 of 2291 Old 08-12-2017, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram160 View Post
If you know, can you please explain what #4 means? Thanks.

I have zero idea, this was Samsung's response to my inquiry.
post #2210 of 2291 Old 08-13-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I think you want the HD Fury to create a DolbyVision video signal from the UHD Players HDR10 signal.... I don't think this possible.
No. That would require signal processing, which is not what I am looking for because if I am not mistaken, signal processors are extremely expensive.

No, I am hoping to find a streaming device that natively has apps that have HDR10 and Dolby Vision support and then find a way to pass the Dolby Vision signal to my TV. If the video signal containing DV is passed through the sound bar, you will only get a UHD signal, not UHD signal with the DV layer superimposed, as it should be (assuming that the source has DV enabled streaming enabled in the first place).
post #2211 of 2291 Old 08-13-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No. That would require signal processing, which is not what I am looking for because if I am not mistaken, signal processors are extremely expensive.

No, I am hoping to find a streaming device that natively has apps that have HDR10 and Dolby Vision support and then find a way to pass the Dolby Vision signal to my TV. If the video signal containing DV is passed through the sound bar, you will only get a UHD signal, not UHD signal with the DV layer superimposed, as it should be (assuming that the source has DV enabled streaming enabled in the first place).
The Chromecast Ultra does DolbyVision, but doesn't have Amazon, I'm not familiar with any other devices that stream DolbyVision Apps at this time.
post #2212 of 2291 Old 08-13-2017, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Static on all speakers when in ATMOS

I changed the samsung J6300 bluray to unprocessed bitstream. I also used the PS4, which only has the bitstream for Dolby option.

I get no static when using the speakers for my cable box or when I change the bluray's bitstream from unprocessed to the regular dolby mode.

Anyway, when I play an ATMOS bluray, the soundbar does show it's in atmos mode. But why are the speakers with static? (I turned off all wifi devices)

LG OLED 1080p 9100 (better for cable/satellite)
Samsung 950K ATMOS Soundbar
post #2213 of 2291 Old 08-13-2017, 12:25 PM

Regarding "AVR Speaker", this is from Samsung tech support: "Supports the ARC connection that can be used as an A/V receiver when connected to the HDMI ARC part of the TV." Of course, I had to ask several times for clarification of what this meant. All I could gather is that when AVR Speaker displays, it means that the soundbar is in DTS mode. If this actually is true, why couldn't they just display "DTS"?????

post #2214 of 2291 Old 08-13-2017, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else had an issue with the Football on Sky Q? They are now broadcasting the games in Dolby Atmos as well as UHD. If I switch to UHD Dolby Atmos is played okay but when I switch back to HD from UHD the sound cuts out on the soundbar but the picture stays on. I have to switch the sound bar off and on to restore sound!

Ultra Blu Rays and the Dolby Atmos demo files play okay. It's just Sky Sports this happens with.
post #2215 of 2291 Old 08-13-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
The Chromecast Ultra does DolbyVision, but doesn't have Amazon, I'm not familiar with any other devices that stream DolbyVision Apps at this time.
This is so frustrating. Having to jury rig this system to get features that should have been included in the first place.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/help/id=201648150

High Dynamic Range (HDR)

HDR video features significantly increased color range and enhanced contrast between highlights and shadows. This delivers picture quality that is much more vivid and lifelike.

Supported Devices
At this time, HDR video is available on the following Amazon Video devices, for selected models from 2015 or later:

Samsung SUHD TVs, and Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Galaxy 8, 8+, Galaxy Tab S3 mobile devices
Sony Triluminos 4K TVs and Sony Xperia XZ Premium, G8141, G8142, SO-04J mobile devices
LG OLED and Super UHD TVs
Roku Ultra and Roku Premiere+ streaming media players
Internet Speed & System Requirements
You need an Internet connection of at least 15 Mbps to watch videos in HDR. You may also need to upgrade your device software to the latest version. For more information, go to About Updating Your Device Firmware.

Amazon Video Title Availability
HDR Amazon Video titles are offered in two formats:

HDR - HDR titles feature an "HDR" label as well as HDR purchase and viewing options in the video details.
Dolby Vision – Certain HDR titles feature Dolby Vision, which is the Dolby Labs HDR standard. For these titles, a "Dolby Vision" icon shows in the video details instead of an "HDR" label.
Note: Amazon Video supports Dolby Vision on selected 2016 LG TV models. If you don't have a supported device, titles offered in Dolby Vision are also available to watch in standard HDR format.

We’re continuing to expand our selection of HDR movies and TV shows, but not all Amazon Video titles are currently available with these playback options.

Tip: To learn more about HDR content, supported devices, and specifications, you can also check out our HDR Guide4K HDR Guide (https://www.amazon.com/hdrguide) on the Amazon website.
post #2216 of 2291 Old 08-13-2017, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So here's something else weird - ever since the update I can't get anything to work through the hdmi ports on my 950.
I have my TV (LG OLED) plugged into the soundbar via the ARC port and my Samsung Bluray and PC plugged into the HDMI 1/2 ports. Now whenever I select HDMI1 or HDMI2 it doesn't recognise the bluray or PC and comes up as 'TV Speakers' on the display.

Circumventing the soundbar, everything works fine, Bluray into TV no problem. PC into TV no problem. So it isn't that all the cables have randomly stopped working. I even tried plugging my laptop into the soundar via a hdmi port - again, no sound, and all that comes up is TV Speakers.

Rang Samsung customer support and they were no help of course (Have you tried turning it off and on again??......)

Anyone have any ideas at all?
post #2217 of 2291 Old 08-13-2017, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My latest issue since the update: I couldn't get the volume high enough when watching Game of Thrones tonight. When we watched last week, it sounded great. The bass was booming, the voices were clear, and the music and effects were great. Tonight it was just ok. I had to max out the volume and we could barely understand anything that was being said. The bass was severely lacking. All the setups were the same.

Is it possible to uninstall an update?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
post #2218 of 2291 Old 08-14-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966 View Post
My latest issue since the update: I couldn't get the volume high enough when watching Game of Thrones tonight. When we watched last week, it sounded great. The bass was booming, the voices were clear, and the music and effects were great. Tonight it was just ok. I had to max out the volume and we could barely understand anything that was being said. The bass was severely lacking. All the setups were the same.

I couldn't agree more. Samsung has made a royal mess.

post #2219 of 2291 Old 08-14-2017, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966 View Post

I have been having very low sound as well. If I use the built in apps I have to have the sound at 30+ and there is no bass. If I use my Xbox apps the sound is better but still play at 23-25, when normally 17 would be fine.
post #2220 of 2291 Old 08-14-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt85 View Post
I have been having very low sound as well. If I use the built in apps I have to have the sound at 30+ and there is no bass. If I use my Xbox apps the sound is better but still play at 23-25, when normally 17 would be fine.
I was at 100 and the display said volume was maxed out. At 100, our ears should have been bleeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
HW-K850 , HW-K950

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page