AVS Forum banner

Can't find the "simple" in the rough...

667 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  motleypixel 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey gang,

Been lurking for the past few weeks and I just honestly get too overwhelmed with so many choices. I have read lots of threads but no covering want I am looking for most in an upgrade from my panel only sound. Having a 60" 4K panel, I continue, even from previous 55" 1080p and first 720p 42" plasma, the "VOICE" transmission from the panels are so bad for my ears (I getting old). So this is what I want:

1. Just a sound bar, subwoofer optional that has the best center channel voice transmition, benefiting from any user adjustable voice enhancements. NEED BETTER VOICE!
2. Simple, plug and play, thinking ARC supported but would also like HDMI 2.0 min or even HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2 support.
3. Has to be easy to use where our Genie (Dish) remote controls the sound just as if we never ever had a sound bar. #2 should solve this right?
4. Only "nice to have" would be auto power on/off with the panel power on/off. Again, #2 will solve this?
5. Price, really anything up to about $500 should be sufficient.

My setup is a Vizio E60u-D3, mounted on the wall with a TV cabinet/console under it with about 5" of clearance between the bottom panel bezel and top of the console.

Thank you,
Roy

See less See more
#2 ·
Take a look at the Zvox SB500:

http://www.zvoxaudio.com/divinity-cart/item/4005001/zvox-audio-soundbar.sb500/1.html

Checks a lot of your boxes:

1) Can boost center channel voices with AccuVoice
2) Has auto on/off
3) Can be easily controlled by your existing remotes
4) Easy to set up
5) $499

Only thing is to doesn't have is HDMI or ARC. It has an optical input. Basiclaly you run everything through your TV and out to the soundbar. I have the SB 700 paired with a 65 inch TV and it works great.

#3 ·
Thanks TheDan666, this is REALLY looking good from my research further on these. It's obvisous I need to slow down and think this decision over with more time. Now if I can just get over not having HDMI for using ARC then I think I will bite. I'm new to all this stuff, and I wonder if there's any merit to ARC actually being troublesome for some users and if that's the case using an optical out from TV and in to the sound bar will just bypass all that stuff, plus I can be assured, once I settle on either buying the XBOX 1s or an UHD Blu-Ray player, if I use HDMI 1 with one of these two will ensure 4K/60fps blu-ray discs (with proper HDMI cable).

Hummm...it's either this ZVOX bar or the Yahama ATS 106?

-Roy

#5 ·
I think both of these will work for you. I think in terms of total sonic power, the Zvox would probably blow it out of the water but depending on your room this will never be a consideration (living room for example). If HDMI is important for sure go the Yamaha route. I think very good bang for the buck.

#6 ·
I have the Zvox 700 as well. The 500 is essentially the same but in a smaller cabinet. If you want a soundbar only with no external sunwoofer, I think it is a great option. Regular voice quality is outstanding, really able to listen to low speech volume without cranking up the volume. It will blow you out too, it is loud and clear. I almost returned mine to get something with an external sub, but decided that the bass was enough. The clarity of the Zvox was great enough to keep it over the difference in extra bass. 60 day money back guarantee too. I am fine with the optical only option as my TV outputs Dolby Digital/DTS.

#7 ·
Quick update.

Bought the Yamaha ATS 1060 from Costco for $160. Got it hooked up and yes, sound is a lot better, but it could still be better. I'm betting the $400/$500 ZVox Sound Bars would be better but the price is hard to justify. It's still good, only caveat is with this Vizio Smart Cast when I Cast sound doesn't come through. This is surprisingly by design, even after calling Vizio. Only work-around is to pair my smart phone used to cast via BT to the sound bar and that works. That's a input toggle on the bar and extra step that is a little bothersome. Oh well, I guess I won't be casting much.

Then today I stumbled across the Bose CineMate 15 system at Best Buy for $150, yup, got in just in time: https://slickdeals.net/f/9459943-bose-cinemate-15-150-best-buy?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

Now this isn't HDMI but using optical cable and the universal remote to control the TV and our Dish Hopper 3 coupled with all inputs/casts from TV to sound bar play just fine, I find the sound of the Bose more crisp on the highs and blow the lows of the Yamaha out of the water.

-Roy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.