Optimal Setup for Samsung HW-K550, SWA-8000S, and KS8000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 12-30-2016, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Optimal Setup for Samsung HW-K550, SWA-8000S, and KS8000

Last month I purchased a new Samsung 65" KS 8000 TV, the HW-K550 Soundbar, and the SWA-8000S wireless rear-speakers that connect to the soundbar. I have the soundbar connected to the TV via the TV's SoundConnect feature, which I understood would be similar to using an HDMI for sound.

I use the system primarily to play games via my PS4 Pro, but also to watch movies. There is definitely distinct sound coming from the rear speakers (definitely noticeable in BF1 for footsteps), but I can only notice it if I position them 2-3 ft to my left and right, facing directly at me. It doesn't quite fill the room or give the depth of surround sound I'm used. Is there a setting or manner of connecting I'm missing, or is the quality of parts I purchased meant to feel this flat and lackluster?

I would appreciate any help!!! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-06-2017, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have a similar set up, Im running a JS8000, K550 w/ rear kit and an Xbox one. Ive been wondering the same thing. I have all output sources set to bitstream and the TV set to out DD(5.1) since the sound bar only processes DTS 2.0. I set the sound control surround sound on the k550 to off otherwise it simulates a surround sound. Seems to be working alright but im also not sure what is "optimal".
post #3 of 22 Old 01-06-2017, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I have the same setup with HW-K450 and rear speaker kit still wondering whats the best optimal setting. Currently have it on HDMI ARC and DTS Neo 2.5 and sounds great.

post #4 of 22 Old 01-06-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmcstford View Post
I have the same setup with HW-K450 and rear speaker kit still wondering whats the best optimal setting. Currently have it on HDMI ARC and DTS Neo 2.5 and sounds great.
DTS Neo 2.5 is a PCM Stero signal that is simulating 5.1. But as a lot of people say, just use what you think sounds best.

I want to be able to get the best experience possible.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-06-2017, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Do you guys feel the rear speakers add value? I can't tell if I have it set up incorrectly or if I had an incorrect assumption of what the rear speakers would sound like. At the moment unless they're at my head level and only a few feet away, I can't really notice them. I sort of expected them to fill the room with sound better and offer a little more depth. Any thoughts on this?
post #6 of 22 Old 01-06-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickexc View Post
Do you guys feel the rear speakers add value? I can't tell if I have it set up incorrectly or if I had an incorrect assumption of what the rear speakers would sound like. At the moment unless they're at my head level and only a few feet away, I can't really notice them. I sort of expected them to fill the room with sound better and offer a little more depth. Any thoughts on this?
Depends on what im watching.

Sports - it add rear crowd noise, makes it feel like im sorta there

Directv - Adds enough to make a difference, depends on the show/channel

BluRay - Definitely makes a difference IMO
post #7 of 22 Old 01-06-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialjesus View Post
DTS Neo 2.5 is a PCM Stero signal that is simulating 5.1. But as a lot of people say, just use what you think sounds best.

I want to be able to get the best experience possible.
True, when I put it on PCM it sounds great but not as loud as DTS Neo 2.5 thats why I keep it there. Are you on Xbox Live? Battlefield 1?

Quote:
You can change the volume of you rear speakers, which I do recommend going up a bit. And yea they're worth it, watching Blue ray movies is awesome. And if you play games like I do on xbox live, you can get an advantage because you can hear the people around you and can tell which direction by where the sound is coming from
post #8 of 22 Old 01-06-2017, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
if you play games like I do on xbox live, you can get an advantage because you can hear the people around you and can tell which direction by where the sound is coming from
Yep, this is the only time I can really tell the difference. I play a lot of games, and in BF1 on PS4 if I position the rear speakers a few ft away from me facing my head I can very clearly hear footsteps, reloading, commands, etc. coming out of the rear left and rear right speakers if a player is specifically in that spot.

However in movies, shows, and music where there isn't a noise exactly behind me to my left/right, the sound is much much more minimal. Maybe these are just how they operate and I'm expecting too much

I'll play with more settings and setups over the weekend and report back if I find a solution that seems to sound better for me.

Thanks for the help, all!
post #9 of 22 Old 01-06-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
True, when I put it on PCM it sounds great but not as loud as DTS Neo 2.5 thats why I keep it there. Are you on Xbox Live? Battlefield 1?
I play BF1 on Xbox one, and i notice it there as well, i have the xbox set to Bitstream and dolby for output.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-06-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Yep, this is the only time I can really tell the difference. I play a lot of games, and in BF1 on PS4 if I position the rear speakers a few ft away from me facing my head I can very clearly hear footsteps, reloading, commands, etc. coming out of the rear left and rear right speakers if a player is specifically in that spot.

However in movies, shows, and music where there isn't a noise exactly behind me to my left/right, the sound is much much more minimal. Maybe these are just how they operate and I'm expecting too much

I'll play with more settings and setups over the weekend and report back if I find a solution that seems to sound better for me.

Thanks for the help, all!
Make sure the rear speakers are behind you, watch the new Star wars on blue ray and you'll see these bad boys crank out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialjesus View Post
I play BF1 on Xbox one, and i notice it there as well, i have the xbox set to Bitstream and dolby for output.
I'll try that out, do you get voice lag though ? I noticed the audio lag in a setting cant remember which one it was. If you want to join up on Live add me manOW MoBsTeR
post #11 of 22 Old 01-09-2017, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Are you sure that your TV is passing through dd 5.1 from HDMI to the soundbar? Many TV's actually don't support passthrough of AC3 (dolby digital 5.1) from hdmi inputs to the optical output. Also, I'm pretty sure that if your tv was capable of passing through the ac3 signal you would need to connect the tv to the soundbar with a toslink cable rather bluetooth.

However the best setup would be your console connected to the soundbar via HDMi and then hdmi from soundbar to tv. Then set your console to output dolby digital 5.1 with bitstream prioritised.
post #12 of 22 Old 01-09-2017, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallett94 View Post
Are you sure that your TV is passing through dd 5.1 from HDMI to the soundbar? Many TV's actually don't support passthrough of AC3 (dolby digital 5.1) from hdmi inputs to the optical output.
I tried over the weekend changing from bluetooth to HDMI ARC, and what I noticed was under my TV options under sound output before only "PCM" was an available option, and now DTS Neo 2.5 is also able to be selected. But even with HDMI ARC from Soundbar to TV the Dolby Digital 5.1 option (in my TV's menu) was greyed out. Any idea why? Rtings 5.1 Surround Sound listing shows that my TV should be able to pass 5.1 surround through HDMI ARC?

Quote:
However the best setup would be your console connected to the soundbar via HDMi and then hdmi from soundbar to tv. Then set your console to output dolby digital 5.1 with bitstream prioritised.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try this tonight or tomorrow night and see how it works. So this basically makes it so when the console is active it sends sound to the speakers, and when it's not active the TV sends sound to the speakers?

Thanks!
post #13 of 22 Old 01-09-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I tried over the weekend changing from bluetooth to HDMI ARC, and what I noticed was under my TV options under sound output before only "PCM" was an available option, and now DTS Neo 2.5 is also able to be selected. But even with HDMI ARC from Soundbar to TV the Dolby Digital 5.1 option (in my TV's menu) was greyed out. Any idea why? Rtings 5.1 Surround Sound listing shows that my TV should be able to pass 5.1 surround through HDMI ARC?

Thanks for the advice, I'll try this tonight or tomorrow night and see how it works. So this basically makes it so when the console is active it sends sound to the speakers, and when it's not active the TV sends sound to the speakers?

Thanks!
I have read about problems with HDMI ARC. Personally I couldn't say because my TV doesn't have ARC, however I have been using toslink cables for year for my astro gaming headset. Try connecting with a toslink (optical digital) from tv to soundbar and see if dolby digital is available then.

However like I said, HDMI to soundbar, then HDMI to TV would be the best way to go. Just make sure you change the soundbar input to HDMI as well otherwise the video from the console will not be passed through.

This setup means that any devices connected to the TV will send their sound down the toslink cable to the D.In input on the soundbar. Then for your console you switch the soundbar input to to HDMI.

I only have the Ssoundbar and wireless sub, but I personally find the surround sound expansion mode to work quite well. However I think you have the actual rear wireless speakers so I would just leave the sound mode on Standard and then test your surround sound.

Try it tonight and let me know.

To set your xbox one to dolby digital 5.1 follow this:

Configure the console audio settings

If you’ve already connected your Xbox One to a home cinema or sound system, it’s time to configure the audio settings on your Xbox One. Here's how:

Scroll left from Home to open the guide.
Select Settings.
Select All Settings.
Select Display & Sound.
Select Audio output.
Under DIGITAL AUDIO, select either HDMI audio or Optical audio, based on the type of cable that you use to connect your console to the audio receiver or TV.
Choose the option that applies to your system.
HDMI audio options

Off
Stereo uncompressed
5.1 uncompressed
7.1 uncompressed
Bitstream out
Optical audio options

Off
Stereo uncompressed
Bitstream out
Bitstream format

DTS Digital Surround
Dolby Digital.

Choose bitstream out and then dolby digital. Also within Battlefield 1 change the audio settings to home theatre and surround.
post #14 of 22 Old 01-09-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I have read about problems with HDMI ARC. Personally I couldn't say because my TV doesn't have ARC, however I have been using toslink cables for year for my astro gaming headset. Try connecting with a toslink (optical digital) from tv to soundbar and see if dolby digital is available then.

However like I said, HDMI to soundbar, then HDMI to TV would be the best way to go. Just make sure you change the soundbar input to HDMI as well otherwise the video from the console will not be passed through.

This setup means that any devices connected to the TV will send their sound down the toslink cable to the D.In input on the soundbar. Then for your console you switch the soundbar input to to HDMI.

I only have the Ssoundbar and wireless sub, but I personally find the surround sound expansion mode to work quite well. However I think you have the actual rear wireless speakers so I would just leave the sound mode on Standard and then test your surround sound.

Try it tonight and let me know.

To set your xbox one to dolby digital 5.1 follow this:

Configure the console audio settings

If you’ve already connected your Xbox One to a home cinema or sound system, it’s time to configure the audio settings on your Xbox One. Here's how:

Scroll left from Home to open the guide.
Select Settings.
Select All Settings.
Select Display & Sound.
Select Audio output.
Under DIGITAL AUDIO, select either HDMI audio or Optical audio, based on the type of cable that you use to connect your console to the audio receiver or TV.
Choose the option that applies to your system.
HDMI audio options

Off
Stereo uncompressed
5.1 uncompressed
7.1 uncompressed
Bitstream out
Optical audio options

Off
Stereo uncompressed
Bitstream out
Bitstream format

DTS Digital Surround
Dolby Digital.

Choose bitstream out and then dolby digital. Also within Battlefield 1 change the audio settings to home theatre and surround.
Edit: You play on PS4 (like me). Go to sound and screen settings, audio output. Set priority output as HDMI and then format as bitstream dolby.
post #15 of 22 Old 01-09-2017, 03:27 PM

The only problem with this is you lose 4k/HDR the soundbar cant pass it along to the tv
post #16 of 22 Old 02-12-2017, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have a couple of questions for the group.

I have a k550 and the KS8000.

i have an xbox connected by hdmi to the soundbar and the soundbar to the TV by hdmi. my TV does not allow 5.1 to ARC. For those with the KS8000 and having issues with 5.1 and you have the sound coming from the TV (optical or HDMI ARC) make sure your TV passes 5.1. mine does not so i have to connect to the source (xbox).

Questions:
Is there any way to fix the soundbar input to always start in HDMI?

Also my KS8000 rears speakers have a low static noise at all times. do others notice this as well? any what to stop this or is it defective?
post #17 of 22 Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardkid1 View Post
Have a couple of questions for the group.

I have a k550 and the KS8000.

i have an xbox connected by hdmi to the soundbar and the soundbar to the TV by hdmi. my TV does not allow 5.1 to ARC. For those with the KS8000 and having issues with 5.1 and you have the sound coming from the TV (optical or HDMI ARC) make sure your TV passes 5.1. mine does not so i have to connect to the source (xbox).

Questions:
Is there any way to fix the soundbar input to always start in HDMI?

Also my KS8000 rears speakers have a low static noise at all times. do others notice this as well? any what to stop this or is it defective?
I have the same setup and would also like to know how to lock it to HDMI - the ARC seems to interfere when turning on and changes the input. (Also without ARC I cannot use my sky remote to control the volume as there is no code that works for the sky remote and soundbar!)

Very nearly an ideal setup if I can fix these problems!
post #18 of 22 Old 02-23-2017, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
cardkid1... I also hear the static noise. I literally purchased and set them up today and noticed it straight away. It's quite annoying!

Ive never heard anyone else refer to it though (apart from you) out of the 100s of review comments and forum posts I've read about the speakers before purchasing.

Ive posted a comment on another forum and somebody replied saying that he can't hear it at all... which gives me hope.

Like cardkid1, I'll be interested to know if anyone else on here can hear this. I can even hear it on mute (in fact, it's more noticeable on mute). But then it disappears if I disable the rear speakers.
post #19 of 22 Old 02-25-2017, 12:01 PM

A lot of static noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young View Post
cardkid1... I also hear the static noise. I literally purchased and set them up today and noticed it straight away. It's quite annoying!

Ive never heard anyone else refer to it though (apart from you) out of the 100s of review comments and forum posts I've read about the speakers before purchasing.

Ive posted a comment on another forum and somebody replied saying that he can't hear it at all... which gives me hope.

Like cardkid1, I'll be interested to know if anyone else on here can hear this. I can even hear it on mute (in fact, it's more noticeable on mute). But then it disappears if I disable the rear speakers.

I'm facing the same situation. There is a lot of static noise coming from rear speakers.
post #20 of 22 Old 03-08-2017, 03:45 AM

In response to your questions about 'locking it to the HDMI'.

In my setup I have console HDMI to to SOundbar then HDMI to TV. I always try to have the HDMI out from soundbar to HDMI ARC port on TV. However I do not use ARC itself. I and many others have found ARC more hassle and often causing more problems than its worth. I personally connect my LG TV to the soundbar with digital optical (toslink) cable. Any other devices like youview box etc connect direct to TV via HDMI.

On the soundbar make sure to have turned on the 'Power - ON' feature that will allow other devices to wake the soundbar. On devices like playstations and other consoles, you will need to ensure that 'HDMI-CEC' is turned on, or 'HDMI Control' or 'CEC-Power on' or something like that.

I would then ensure that on the TV the tv speaker is off and that the digital audio out mode is changed either to auto, or better yet direct to dolby digital if possible.

With this setup, if you turn your tv off set at the correct hdmi input, then turning on your console should turn on the soundbar to HDMI which should then turn on the tv. If you can I would turn HDMI ARC off within the settings.

Regards.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-04-2017, 02:28 AM

Hi!

New guy here

Just connected my Samsung 8000s rear kit to my HW-K550 soundbar.

I can also hear the irritating static noise in the rear speakers. Did you solve your problem to get rid of it? :-)

And finally. I've tried to read this thread to find the best answer, but still in doubt;

I have a PS4 and new Samsung tv also.

What is the best and easiest setup to connect it all to get the best sound? Soundconnect works fine - but I would prefer cables, to be sure to get the best quality.

Is it HDMI ARC between soundbar and TV, and HDMI from PS4 to soundbar? (tried that yesterday, but can't find my PS4 on the tv now).

Or is it HDMI arc between soundbar and TV and HDMI between PS4 and TV and optical cable between PS4 and soundbar...or a third way to do it? :-)

Br,
Michael
post #22 of 22 Old 08-13-2017, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
So how am I supposed to increase or decrease my rear speakers volume? I checked the guide and can cycle through different devices using Sound Control but the guide tells me to use the Left and Right arrow on my remote to increase or decrease the volume of the chosen source but I don't have these arrows. + and - only control the soundbar Sorry for the necro.

Also Dolby is greyed out from the advanced sound options. I have the SWA8000S Rear Speakers.

Edit: Whelp there's the issue. The guys at BestBuy gave me the wrong remote.

Last edited by Juub; 08-13-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
hwa-k550 , KS8000 , Samsung , swa-8000s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page