SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 175Likes

post #721 of 758 Old 08-08-2017, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarydude View Post
otherwise your only other option is to get a Streaming Box that will do Atmos lossless via HDMI, Bluray player or a PC
Thanks for the help. I am out of town but will try the suggestions this Saturday. As far as the TIVO Box goes, I'm not concerned about Dolby Atmos on that...just that I can use if for sound (as TV speakers are not good)...It does have an HDMI port. My main concern is getting ATMOS from playing Blu-Ray Discs and getting sound out of the bar for TV. I'll definately try it Saturday. Thanks to all again.

Greg

Sony XBR75X940C
Yamaha Receiver RX-V679
Samsung UBD-K8500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 758 Old 08-10-2017, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Wanted to post a quick review of this soundbar for people considering a purchase. Back-order finally came in and was able to hook it up last night. This is the 3rd soundbar I have had in my setup. First was an Andrew Jones Pioneer bar, the second was a Definitive W Studio. Had both for several years. I would consider both good, neither great. This is the soundbar is a big step up from those. This bar produces room shaking bass and crystal clear sound with movies. I really can't believe how clear and clean everything sounds when playing from a disc. When feed a signal from cable the sound is good but not as impressive. From cable the sounds is a little hollow and sounds more processed but with UHD / BD discs the sound is fantastic. This is a bar for watching movies.

Is this bar a replacement for a true surround setup, no. Does it sound good, yes. For those who cannot accommodate a true setup (like me) this is a viable and enjoyable alternative. In the room this the bar is setup, sound comes from a wide sound stage in front and above. Much wider than the previous bars I had. I do not have any sound from behind. I would image room setup would play a big factor in how the sound will get to your sitting position. I read a lot on this thread about the lack of built in DTS. I have not yet found anything that has not played sound. If you have a player that can output LPCM/PCM the lack of onboard DTS is not an issue. Should DTS be included at this price point, yes.

Also wanted to thank whoever posted that there is no onscreen display when HDMI is set to enhance. I left everything at Standard, made sure Atmos was being received and played and then set to Enhanced.
hsinnott and kinglm like this.
post #723 of 758 Old 08-11-2017, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So my second soundbar, from a different supplier has developed, after 3 weeks the same fault as the first.

Stuck on TV input, no access to the menus. Am furious.

Contacted Sony, they gave me details of a repair centre and said they can come to the house, contacted them and they can't. As they are just closing, they offered I call tomorrow and speak to one of their engineers to see if he can assist over the phone, explained I am technical so should be fine.

Will report back on how it goes.

This seems completely mad that a second product would develop the same fault. Sony reckons its software based...

post #724 of 758 Old 08-11-2017, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSword View Post
So my second soundbar, from a different supplier has developed, after 3 weeks the same fault as the first.

Stuck on TV input, no access to the menus. Am furious.

Contacted Sony, they gave me details of a repair centre and said they can come to the house, contacted them and they can't. As they are just closing, they offered I call tomorrow and speak to one of their engineers to see if he can assist over the phone, explained I am technical so should be fine.

Will report back on how it goes.

This seems completely mad that a second product would develop the same fault. Sony reckons its software based...

Strange. Haven't heard of anyone else having a similar issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #725 of 758 Old 08-12-2017, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourt99 View Post
Strange. Haven't heard of anyone else having a similar issue.

I believe I saw one other user in this thread, a couple in the avforums and 1 in the Sony community forum.

The call is in half an hour. Going to try multiple HDMI cables now to see if that helps (doubtful).

Last night I managed to switch inputs using the Logitech Harmony, sound was working. The pop up input menu (that shows on the left, not the one with graphics), has the HDMI inputs missing, but you can select them.

What was really strange, was pressing home, while it's displaying input from an HDMI source, showed the greyed out semi transparent background of the home menu (so whatever is coming from the HDMI source is semi visible), but no menu is displayed. It's looking very software based now.
post #726 of 758 Old 08-12-2017, 02:46 AM

Had the call. He explained how to access the service menu, which allows a Factory initialise. Ran it, and no luck (note though this takes a lot longer than the Power and - button reset, so may help with other issues)

He said if it doesn't work will need the main board replaced. So calling back now.

To access the service menu, press the following buttons in order, quite quickly:

STOP
Display
Pause
Direction Up

Then SVC appears on the front panel, after a while for me, again just the background graphic, but pressing Display shows a blue service menu with options there.
lukv likes this.
post #727 of 758 Old 08-12-2017, 03:23 AM

Hi guys,

Here's the situation. Engineer said would need to come in for repair, could take up to 10 working days depending on stock of parts, if not longer.

I have decided to go for a return and refund with Currys, they no longer have stock so couldn't offer a replacement. Didn't want to go beyond the first 30 days of purchase as could be problematic getting refunds etc, and would mean waiting out a long repair.

A real shame as love it when it works. I may consider ONE more attempt at purchasing from elsewhere as it worked so well with my room and setup.

Seems there is a faulty batch, perhaps just affecting the UK ones, for me to have 2 in a row, am absolutely gutted.

Have tried the service menu reset a few times to no avail.
post #728 of 758 Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got this unit with x800 br player using it on a samsung 65j8500 hdtv. Does anyone have a list of settings I need to do to optimize it?

I gotta watch planet earth 2 tonight
post #729 of 758 Old 08-12-2017, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Wish I could return my ST5000.... stuck with this POS that doesn't work right with my Titan Xp SLI setup
post #730 of 758 Old 08-12-2017, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptolemy View Post
I got this unit with x800 br player using it on a samsung 65j8500 hdtv. Does anyone have a list of settings I need to do to optimize it?

I gotta watch planet earth 2 tonight
There are not much to optimize, just turn it on, set it to your fav soundfield (Movie is the one to me) and maybe voice up a notch or two (for the lack of midtones) then enjoy
aaronwt likes this.

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #731 of 758 Old 08-13-2017, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukv View Post
There are not much to optimize, just turn it on, set it to your fav soundfield (Movie is the one to me) and maybe voice up a notch or two (for the lack of midtones) then enjoy

thanks. i think i read somewhere about making sure the atmos and hdr and stuff was passed through. just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something obvious
post #732 of 758 Old 08-13-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Hi guys,

Here's the situation. Engineer said would need to come in for repair, could take up to 10 working days depending on stock of parts, if not longer.

I have decided to go for a return and refund with Currys, they no longer have stock so couldn't offer a replacement. Didn't want to go beyond the first 30 days of purchase as could be problematic getting refunds etc, and would mean waiting out a long repair.

A real shame as love it when it works. I may consider ONE more attempt at purchasing from elsewhere as it worked so well with my room and setup.

Seems there is a faulty batch, perhaps just affecting the UK ones, for me to have 2 in a row, am absolutely gutted.

Have tried the service menu reset a few times to no avail.
Here are photos showing the device stuck on TV input with the background graphic not showing any menu. And showing the input list menu blanking out the HDMI 1, 2 and 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0016.JPG (707.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0013.JPG (1.11 MB, 61 views)
post #733 of 758 Old 08-13-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptolemy View Post
thanks. i think i read somewhere about making sure the atmos and hdr and stuff was passed through. just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something obvious
For that just use correct cables (18Gbps HDMI 2.0a) and connect everything to the soundbar - TV to ARC port, other devices to HDMI 1-3.

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #734 of 758 Old 08-13-2017, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 42
worth it on sale?

Hi all. Current Samsung 950 soundbar atmos soundbar owner. I have had it for a year, and it's driving me insane. I can't even tell you the number of technical issues I've had with it.

I've been eying up this soundbar for a while - but the minuses have forced me to hold off on buying it.

But as of today, this soundbar is on sale for 1299 everywhere. My local best buy has an open box unit for 1189.

Is it worth picking it up at that price (I'm asking those of you own it already and are using it)?

Has anyone heard anything new about the supposed promised update that will add DTS:X and Dolby Vision passthrough support? I know it was appearing/disappearing on the Sony specs page for a while for this soundbar.

Yes, I would hate to loss the rear wireless speakers from the Sammy. But everything else sounds better about the Sony to me. The Samsung has so many engineering/support issues it's enough to drive one mad.
post #735 of 758 Old 08-13-2017, 06:39 PM

no, stay away from this sound bar. there is no replacement for real rear speakers. and these "phantom" are just down right sad

I don't even care about the DTS. if it comes great.

I am talking about their lack support. I have problems with my SLI Titan Xp Gaming PC and no one seems to have a solution
post #736 of 758 Old 08-14-2017, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I believe I saw one other user in this thread, a couple in the avforums and 1 in the Sony community forum.

The call is in half an hour. Going to try multiple HDMI cables now to see if that helps (doubtful).

Last night I managed to switch inputs using the Logitech Harmony, sound was working. The pop up input menu (that shows on the left, not the one with graphics), has the HDMI inputs missing, but you can select them.

What was really strange, was pressing home, while it's displaying input from an HDMI source, showed the greyed out semi transparent background of the home menu (so whatever is coming from the HDMI source is semi visible), but no menu is displayed. It's looking very software based now.
I had the exact same problem and posted the problem here. And I want to say 2 other people chimed in.

I unplugged everything and was ready to pack it all up. It was all unplugged for a good 10 minutes when I said let me try one more time before I go through the hassle of packing it up. Voila! It started working again and has not frozen since.

Not sure if anything I did helped except the leaving everything unplugged for 10 minutes!

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED
post #737 of 758 Old 08-14-2017, 06:27 AM

Does anyone know if soundfield can be enabled for the built-in Chromecast Audio?
I find it strange that I can do it for HDMI inputs, Spotify but not all the other apps that can cast/stream.

EDIT: nvm, I've found in the manual that it cannot be enabled for Chromecast, still I find it odd.

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000

Last edited by lukv; 08-14-2017 at 07:18 AM.
post #738 of 758 Old 08-14-2017, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello all, my apologies if this issue has been raised but is anyone having issues with the Soundbar passing HDR to your TV set? My set is the LG EF9500 65" OLED and yes I have 4k ready rocketfish HDMI . The info button confirms I am receiving 4K resolution with UHD BluRay and NetFlix etc but I can't seem to get HDR through the bar. To confirm my cables and xbox settings, I connected the xbox directly to the TV and HDR worked beautifully but no can do with the HTS 5000. Any help would be appreciated.
post #739 of 758 Old 08-14-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Maestro View Post
I had the exact same problem and posted the problem here. And I want to say 2 other people chimed in.

I unplugged everything and was ready to pack it all up. It was all unplugged for a good 10 minutes when I said let me try one more time before I go through the hassle of packing it up. Voila! It started working again and has not frozen since.

Not sure if anything I did helped except the leaving everything unplugged for 10 minutes!
Thanks for the info Mr Maestro. Gave it a go twice now, once just turning off, unplugging everything and the soundbar for 10 mins or so, no change. Then tried a reset and unplugging, still no change, so perhaps more severe.

Thanks for suggesting though, am happy to keep trying stuff while I have this faulty one till Thursday.

A 3rd one arrives tomorrow. Sony support got back to me and said they've forwarded my email on. I put together a massive mail that explains all the troubleshooting steps taken, what works and what doesn't - seems some GUI elements function, e.g. BT and the side input menu. How well the remote responds, which commands respond and some photos.

So hopefully that may help them work out the issue and perhaps release an update so others aren't affected.
post #740 of 758 Old 08-14-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJermaine View Post
Hello all, my apologies if this issue has been raised but is anyone having issues with the Soundbar passing HDR to your TV set? My set is the LG EF9500 65" OLED and yes I have 4k ready rocketfish HDMI . The info button confirms I am receiving 4K resolution with UHD BluRay and NetFlix etc but I can't seem to get HDR through the bar. To confirm my cables and xbox settings, I connected the xbox directly to the TV and HDR worked beautifully but no can do with the HTS 5000. Any help would be appreciated.
If it's not the cable then maybe you did not set the HDMI to enhanced in soundbar settings?

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #741 of 758 Old 08-14-2017, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukv View Post
If it's not the cable then maybe you did not set the HDMI to enhanced in soundbar settings?

Enhanced? Ok. I'll give it a try.

post #742 of 758 Old 08-15-2017, 02:38 AM

I must be the most unlucky owner of one of these soundbars.

Third one arrived today but looks like the courier dropped it at some point....

The damage is slight to the front right corner. To be honest when in situ on my cabinet, can't tell, except the top right grill has popped up a millimetre or 2.

The seller was very apologetic, but can only get one out a week today. He said if I want to use in the meantime I can, and can decide to keep it for around 20% off, welcome for people's thoughts.

Sound wise it seems unaffected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0571.JPG (966.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0572.JPG (826.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0573.JPG (756.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0592.JPG (382.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0593.JPG (543.1 KB, 39 views)
post #743 of 758 Old 08-15-2017, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Thanks for the info Mr Maestro. Gave it a go twice now, once just turning off, unplugging everything and the soundbar for 10 mins or so, no change. Then tried a reset and unplugging, still no change, so perhaps more severe.

Thanks for suggesting though, am happy to keep trying stuff while I have this faulty one till Thursday.

A 3rd one arrives tomorrow. Sony support got back to me and said they've forwarded my email on. I put together a massive mail that explains all the troubleshooting steps taken, what works and what doesn't - seems some GUI elements function, e.g. BT and the side input menu. How well the remote responds, which commands respond and some photos.

So hopefully that may help them work out the issue and perhaps release an update so others aren't affected.
Hope it works out for you. In the beginning I had everything fed in to my Sony AE1 and then the ARC to the soundbar. I ended up plugging everything in to the soundbar instead with the arc to the soundbar. Don't think that is what fixed the problem but its worth a shot. My wife also hates this arrangement!

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED
post #744 of 758 Old 08-15-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Hope it works out for you. In the beginning I had everything fed in to my Sony AE1 and then the ARC to the soundbar. I ended up plugging everything in to the soundbar instead with the arc to the soundbar. Don't think that is what fixed the problem but its worth a shot. My wife also hates this arrangement!
Kept trying but no luck. I have packed it up (a pain without its original box) for collection Thursday.

The 3rd, the one that was delivered damaged today... I have asked if I can take the weekend to consider keeping it as they can't supply another until next week.

Have asked about guarantee etc, as don't want money off if it turns out its not going to be covered anymore by a guarantee due to the cosmetic damage. And seeing as have had 2 develop faults, don't want to end up with a massive paper weight...

So either slight cosmetic damage and a good guarantee or I wait for a 4th next week!
post #745 of 758 Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
If you hook up your Source(s) -> TV -> Sound bar you lose all lossless format

I guess if you don't care about sound fidelity that would be the way to do it, and have your TV be the "switch".
post #746 of 758 Old 08-15-2017, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does this thing work ok?

Since it lacks rear speakers, does it perform the atmos effect?
Anyone that has it working perfectly, let me know your thoughts on:

1. play BluRays
2. stream over ARC for netflix, apps

I'm looking to replace my samsung K950 atmos soundbar.......it sucks.

LG OLED 1080p 9100 (better for cable/satellite)
Samsung 950K ATMOS Soundbar
post #747 of 758 Old 08-15-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otranto300 View Post
Since it lacks rear speakers, does it perform the atmos effect?
Anyone that has it working perfectly, let me know your thoughts on:

1. play BluRays
2. stream over ARC for netflix, apps

I'm looking to replace my samsung K950 atmos soundbar.......it sucks.
"atmos effects" are height channels....it does a fairly good job playing height channels, but it sux playing side and rear channels. If the K950 has REAL/ACTUAL side and rear channel speakers. stick with those. The HT-ST5000 have "speakers" in the sound bar for those but it HEAVILY relies on reflection and timing to produce those effects. Which fails miserably

Side channel effect is nil, rear channel sometimes when it hit the right frequencies and loudness it *MIGHT* sound like it's coming from the rear.
post #748 of 758 Old 08-15-2017, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Kept trying but no luck. I have packed it up (a pain without its original box) for collection Thursday.

The 3rd, the one that was delivered damaged today... I have asked if I can take the weekend to consider keeping it as they can't supply another until next week.

Have asked about guarantee etc, as don't want money off if it turns out its not going to be covered anymore by a guarantee due to the cosmetic damage. And seeing as have had 2 develop faults, don't want to end up with a massive paper weight...

So either slight cosmetic damage and a good guarantee or I wait for a 4th next week!
I wouldn't accept anything less than perfect. You paid a lot of money. I'd say I'll use this one until you ship me a perfect replacement.
post #749 of 758 Old 08-15-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynerd View Post
I wouldn't accept anything less than perfect. You paid a lot of money. I'd say I'll use this one until you ship me a perfect replacement.
Thanks for the advice.

I ended up finding another supplier who will deliver tomorrow, using a 2 man team and they place it in a room you specify, so will be checking no issues with the box whole way.

This damaged one is being collected tomorrow along with the 2nd faulty one (which developed the same fault as the first).

Went for getting new one tomorrow and this collected tomorrow as didn't want to arrange yet another day to be home

...So I am now on my fourth. The fourth retailer offers onsite repairs and unlimited coverage and replacement for a small monthly fee, I am considering that as if I get the same fault a 3rd time, they could repair on site.

This has been a massive effort for this Soundbar, which I do love when it works!
post #750 of 758 Old 08-16-2017, 09:11 AM

All that trouble for this sound bar.... hope you going to actually keep it in the end, cause it's TOTALLY NOT WORTH IT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page