Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 85Likes

post #91 of 910 Old 04-17-2017, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergysn View Post
Is central channel adjustable?
Nothing is adjustable in this respect. Its the only thing that is glaringly missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 910 Old 04-20-2017, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well this thread got quiet! I hope those of us that have it are still enjoying it. I know I am. I wonder if OP ever got his...

To date, I still haven't had any ARC issues, but I did have a weird situation happen the other night. I managed to get a hold of a bunch of Atmos demo files in m2ts format and played them through my UHD player. Sounded great. The next day, I played for my wife and no sound. Hitting Info on SJ9 remote revealed that sound was set to PCM for some reason. I think it had to do with the fact that I started my PS4 at the same time as the UHD player and the sound bar didn't quite handle it gracefully. Cycling through all inputs finally set things right.

I have been able to successfully get my sub to disconnect from the sound bar. When playing 4K videos on the youtube app on my wifi connected 65B6, the sub will drop out intermittently. I guess I'll have to wire it to my network.

Have any of you played around with the Music Cast app?

LG OLED65B6P | LG SJ9 | Philips BDP 7501 | PS4 (Original) | Audeze LCD-XC | Apogee Groove | Plex | Roon
post #93 of 910 Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Okay, I'm going to ask the dumb question. Has anyone tried playing a disc with DTS:X? If so, how does it sound? What does the soundbar actually output?

post #94 of 910 Old 04-20-2017, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
First post! I've just bought it and am enjoying it quite a bit.

The sound quality is good for what it is- a couple small speakers enclosed in a wide bar thats only 5 or so inches shallow and 2-3 inches high. It has decent highs and decent lows. I think it was priced perfect at 1k. I priced a Denon ATMOS receiver as well as some Polk Audio speakers and they were well above what this set cost though I'm sure it would have sounded far far better. I wish the sub was a bit larger at this price range though. I remember seeing the older flagship LAS 9507.1 LG Sound Bar having a larger (deeper sounding?) sub but I may be mistaken. Those seem to have much bigger speakers but that bar was obviously a lot taller and had no ATMOS support. Also, the LAS950 had numerous glitches and such from my research that turned me off on the product. Hopefully this one is a lot better on the support side with updates and such. I would love to add a pair of H3s for surround sound.

The ARC capabilities on my OLED works!! Just turn on CEC and you are good to go. No problems at all. You can use your TV remote to turn the volume up and down and when you turn off the Television, the bar turns off as well. Fantastic.

As for your question, Kerwin, I DID play with it!! I even used FLAC Lossless files to test the WIFI's sound. Its OK. I normally use my studio monitors on my computer to listen to these files so obviously, its an unfair comparison. I think I'll need to adjust the sound for sure. Either that or raise the volume past the 20max that I usually go to.

Lastly, the bar I have has a small aesthetic defect that I just can't get past so I'll be returning mine for an exchange at Best Buy.

Any other questions, let me know!
post #95 of 910 Old 04-21-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchap2 View Post
First post! I've just bought it and am enjoying it quite a bit.

The sound quality is good for what it is- a couple small speakers enclosed in a wide bar thats only 5 or so inches shallow and 2-3 inches high. It has decent highs and decent lows. I think it was priced perfect at 1k. I priced a Denon ATMOS receiver as well as some Polk Audio speakers and they were well above what this set cost though I'm sure it would have sounded far far better. I wish the sub was a bit larger at this price range though. I remember seeing the older flagship LAS 9507.1 LG Sound Bar having a larger (deeper sounding?) sub but I may be mistaken. Those seem to have much bigger speakers but that bar was obviously a lot taller and had no ATMOS support. Also, the LAS950 had numerous glitches and such from my research that turned me off on the product. Hopefully this one is a lot better on the support side with updates and such. I would love to add a pair of H3s for surround sound.

The ARC capabilities on my OLED works!! Just turn on CEC and you are good to go. No problems at all. You can use your TV remote to turn the volume up and down and when you turn off the Television, the bar turns off as well. Fantastic.

As for your question, Kerwin, I DID play with it!! I even used FLAC Lossless files to test the WIFI's sound. Its OK. I normally use my studio monitors on my computer to listen to these files so obviously, its an unfair comparison. I think I'll need to adjust the sound for sure. Either that or raise the volume past the 20max that I usually go to.

Lastly, the bar I have has a small aesthetic defect that I just can't get past so I'll be returning mine for an exchange at Best Buy.

Any other questions, let me know!
Thanks for your impressions! Yeah it's unfair to compare it to studio monitors but at least you get the impression of what it can do. I've only ever listened to music on it via the Plex app and that sounded great, despite the transcoding. I'm looking forward to playing with music cast this weekend with some 24/192 content.

LG OLED65B6P | LG SJ9 | Philips BDP 7501 | PS4 (Original) | Audeze LCD-XC | Apogee Groove | Plex | Roon
post #96 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleve1972 View Post
Okay, I'm going to ask the dumb question. Has anyone tried playing a disc with DTS:X? If so, how does it sound? What does the soundbar actually output?
I just received mine yesterday and tried all different sorts of format. Atmos was excellent but wasn't completely blown away, I did hear some rain coming from above when watching the Dolby demo. Then I tried a DTS:X mkv with Plex, that didn't give me any sound When unchecking DTS:X capable receiver in the Plex settings, I did get a sound and the info button gave me: DTS. So I guess no DTS:X support and I'm not sure if it's even DTS 5.1. DTS 5.1 and AC3 do sound good but off course, no real rear sounds are noticeable.

Overall the sound quality is great and very crisp. I do have some issues with my audio getting out of sync, for example with Netflix with my Sony Android TV and connected with ARC, I do see some small (like 50 ms) lip sync issues. I tried to fix it with the sync button on the remote, but it seems the lip sync should be something like minus-50 and I can only do plus in a range of 0-300

One of my other concerns was the Harmony not working correctly (like with the Samsung 950). When configuring the device, Harmony did not seem to recognize it so I had to manually program it. That did work fortunately and after some hassle with configuring all the inputs (and the correct order), I can now use my Harmony like I did with my Philips Fidelio.

Two questions, did anyone manage to get the soundbar connected to the Wi-Fi? I tried it with my Galaxy S7 and the Music Flow app but I cannot get it connected, it hangs on connection to network and I dont even get the chance to enter a wifi password. Cable did work and also tried spotify, that worked great but because I don't have a spare network cable (tv, ps4, odroid c2 and my cable box use up all the ports), I want to connect it to my Wifi.
The other question, does someone know if its possible to connect rears to this one to have a "real" 5.1 sound?
kleve1972 likes this.
post #97 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giejay View Post
I just received mine yesterday and tried all different sorts of format. Atmos was excellent but wasn't completely blown away, I did hear some rain coming from above when watching the Dolby demo. Then I tried a DTS:X mkv with Plex, that didn't give me any sound When unchecking DTS:X capable receiver in the Plex settings, I did get a sound and the info button gave me: DTS. So I guess no DTS:X support and I'm not sure if it's even DTS 5.1. DTS 5.1 and AC3 do sound good but off course, no real rear sounds are noticeable.

Overall the sound quality is great and very crisp. I do have some issues with my audio getting out of sync, for example with Netflix with my Sony Android TV and connected with ARC, I do see some small (like 50 ms) lip sync issues. I tried to fix it with the sync button on the remote, but it seems the lip sync should be something like minus-50 and I can only do plus in a range of 0-300

One of my other concerns was the Harmony not working correctly (like with the Samsung 950). When configuring the device, Harmony did not seem to recognize it so I had to manually program it. That did work fortunately and after some hassle with configuring all the inputs (and the correct order), I can now use my Harmony like I did with my Philips Fidelio.

Two questions, did anyone manage to get the soundbar connected to the Wi-Fi? I tried it with my Galaxy S7 and the Music Flow app but I cannot get it connected, it hangs on connection to network and I dont even get the chance to enter a wifi password. Cable did work and also tried spotify, that worked great but because I don't have a spare network cable (tv, ps4, odroid c2 and my cable box use up all the ports), I want to connect it to my Wifi.
The other question, does someone know if its possible to connect rears to this one to have a "real" 5.1 sound?
Earlier in the thread, ShiroEd did connect dedicated rear speakers to the soundbar: Official LG SJ9 Thread

I wonder if the 'rear' speakers on the sound bar are disabled when having dedicated rear speakers.

post #98 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Followup to my review of a few days ago. Unlike the 4 (omg) soundbars I have tried before, the LG is the only one that is stable, has no ARC problems through hdmi and just works. Theres something refreshing about not having to reboot because the correct input isnt working or suddenly no sound.

Could there be improvements? Sure. But so far Im very happy.
Kerwin515 likes this.

Some guy
post #99 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo123 View Post
Followup to my review of a few days ago. Unlike the 4 (omg) soundbars I have tried before, the LG is the only one that is stable, has no ARC problems through hdmi and just works. Theres something refreshing about not having to reboot because the correct input isnt working or suddenly no sound.

Could there be improvements? Sure. But so far Im very happy.
If an 'SJ11' ever comes out with dedicated rears and more 4K HDR capable ports come out, I'm getting it.

So what sound effect setting do you use for normal TV watching. I've decided that Movie sounds best with almost everything. I do switch to Music for streaming music from Plex. And I wish ASC worked better. ASC seems to detect content pretty accurately, but still sounds a little flat.

post #100 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin515 View Post
If an 'SJ11' ever comes out with dedicated rears and more 4K HDR capable ports come out, I'm getting it.

So what sound effect setting do you use for normal TV watching. I've decided that Movie sounds best with almost everything. I do switch to Music for streaming music from Plex. And I wish ASC worked better. ASC seems to detect content pretty accurately, but still sounds a little flat.
Movie or standard. Depends which sounds better.

Some guy
post #101 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giejay View Post

Re. 5.1 surrounds:
Yep. I bought 2 H3s. Mixed results to be honest.
The app makes connecting them very easy and you can control the volume on each speaker seperatly which is nice.
The result you get from this setup depends hugely on what signal the soundbar recieves. For instance, when I play a movie with a DTS signal via the Plex app on my LG B6 over ARC it sends signal to the rears. I was initially happy with this but after further listening I think it's not sending the correct signals to the rears.
When trying the 5.1 speaker setup YouTube videos I get a very mixed bag of results. The best result I've managed to get is discreet signals for the Front Left, Center, Front Right and Sub. Both rears get the same signal. And thats the best I've gotten. Other videos (and my Freesat TV signal) send all signals to all the speakers. Others have very crackly audio over the rears. The soundbar reports that all these signals are Dolby Audio on the info screen.
But THATS all the info we get from this thing. I want to love this so much but I'm very frustrated with how I can't tweak things at all and how much of a black box it is when it comes to how it handles various audio formats. Another word on all the speakers playing the same thing: When I'm playing Spotify or watching TV and I've enabled the Rears they play the same signal as the Fronts. Now this wouldn't be too bad for Spotify for instance BUT there is a slight delay which makes them unlistenable. Such a shame.

This soundbar desperately needs a pro settings mode as all of the above can be sorted by adjusting speaker balance and delay.

Last edited by ShiroEd; 04-22-2017 at 09:34 AM.
post #102 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Movie almost all the time. Bass Boost when listening to music as it uses the Atmos speakers and the extra punch sounds cool.
post #103 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Isn't the soundbar only DTS 2.0 capable? So there can't be a correct signal for the rears.
post #104 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 11:46 AM

Well I finally got around to playing around with Music Flow on my PC, a win10 machine. It was clunky. Installation was easy and afterward, you're prompted to add speakers/sound bar. In my case I opted for the wirelesss connection. It didn't work. I restarted the program and went through the speaker pairing again and it found it. I installed new firmware for the soundbar, though I have no idea what it's supposed to address. Nothing sounded obviously different, and I didn't notice anything new on the display. After updating, the sound bar rebooted and Music Flow lost the connection and had to start over. It was a real pain!

From what I can tell, when you press the wifi button on the sound bar, it activates a network access point that the program connects. For some reason the program was losing track of this changeover from my regular wifi to this soundbar network access point. I had to restart the process about three times before I got a stable connection.

Big problem: The software doesn't allow for accessing network shares. This doesn't work for me as all my music is on a NAS. I haven't yet tried to map a network drive, but I'd rather not do that. So I copied a hi-res album to a local drive and played it. It sounded good, but I don't really have a frame of reference. I didn't do a critical listen to see if I could pick out differences between playing a lossless 24/192 file vs. a transcode from Plex.

You can change sound bar settings from Music Cast. when you have multiple speakers, you can set it to send non compressed data between speakers. There was one setting that I don't quite get. It's called DRC. I believe it's dynamic range control based on what I found from Google but I couldn't hear a difference.

post #105 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Well I finally got around to playing around with Music Flow on my PC, a win10 machine. It was clunky. Installation was easy and afterward, you're prompted to add speakers/sound bar. In my case I opted for the wirelesss connection. It didn't work. I restarted the program and went through the speaker pairing again and it found it. I installed new firmware for the soundbar, though I have no idea what it's supposed to address. Nothing sounded obviously different, and I didn't notice anything new on the display. After updating, the sound bar rebooted and Music Flow lost the connection and had to start over. It was a real pain!

From what I can tell, when you press the wifi button on the sound bar, it activates a network access point that the program connects. For some reason the program was losing track of this changeover from my regular wifi to this soundbar network access point. I had to restart the process about three times before I got a stable connection.

Big problem: The software doesn't allow for accessing network shares. This doesn't work for me as all my music is on a NAS. I haven't yet tried to map a network drive, but I'd rather not do that. So I copied a hi-res album to a local drive and played it. It sounded good, but I don't really have a frame of reference. I didn't do a critical listen to see if I could pick out differences between playing a lossless 24/192 file vs. a transcode from Plex.

You can change sound bar settings from Music Cast. when you have multiple speakers, you can set it to send non compressed data between speakers. There was one setting that I don't quite get. It's called DRC. I believe it's dynamic range control based on what I found from Google but I couldn't hear a difference.
I didn't know you could install Music Flow on a PC. Huh!
I installed it on my Android phone and I can access all my network shares through the app. It shows my DNLA server, my Plex server and any other PCs on my network. Maybe you could try the mobile app?
post #106 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroEd View Post
How did you install Music Flow on a Windows PC?
I installed it on my Android phone and I can access all my network shares through the app. It shows my DNLA server, my Plex server and any other PCs on my network. Maybe you could try the mobile app?
There's a PC version for download from the LG website. I'll give the mobile app a shot. I too have Android.
ShiroEd likes this.

post #107 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:

If that was the first update you did on the soundbar I can tell you one thing that it fixed/enabled.
Before I did the update myself the soundbar wasn't able to be included in a Google Home speaker group. After the update that all worked perfectly.

Not sure what else it did though...
post #108 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 01:39 PM

So.
I'm unsure if what I'm hearing is the Sub cutting out or not but:
Every now and then it does sound very like the subwoofer cuts out for literally a fraction of a second. It's SUPER obvious though and very annoying.

Have any of you owners experienced anything like this yet? Really short cut outs?
post #109 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I didn't know this either! This fixed my problem with the Android app not being able to select my home Wi-Fi, with the PC version it worked perfectly Spotify Chromecast works very good (including pause/play and next/prev by remote) and provides some excellent sounds, especially with the Bast Blast mode.

Quote:
Re. 5.1 surrounds:
Yep. I bought 2 H3s. Mixed results to be honest.
The app makes connecting them very easy and you can control the volume on each speaker seperatly which is nice.
The result you get from this setup depends hugely on what signal the soundbar recieves. For instance, when I play a movie with a DTS signal via the Plex app on my LG B6 over ARC it sends signal to the rears. I was initially happy with this but after further listening I think it's not sending the correct signals to the rears.
When trying the 5.1 speaker setup YouTube videos I get a very mixed bag of results. The best result I've managed to get is discreet signals for the Front Left, Center, Front Right and Sub. Both rears get the same signal. And thats the best I've gotten. Other videos (and my Freesat TV signal) send all signals to all the speakers. Others have very crackly audio over the rears. The soundbar reports that all these signals are Dolby Audio on the info screen.
But THATS all the info we get from this thing. I want to love this so much but I'm very frustrated with how I can't tweak things at all and how much of a black box it is when it comes to how it handles various audio formats. Another word on all the speakers playing the same thing: When I'm playing Spotify or watching TV and I've enabled the Rears they play the same signal as the Fronts. Now this wouldn't be too bad for Spotify for instance BUT there is a slight delay which makes them unlistenable. Such a shame.

This soundbar desperately needs a pro settings mode as all of the above can be sorted by adjusting speaker balance and delay.
Thanks for the response, seems like buying the rears is a no-no for me if LG is not going to fix this (could a fw update fix this?).
post #110 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
So.
Every now and then it does sound very like the subwoofer cuts out for literally a fraction of a second. It's SUPER obvious though and very annoying.

Have any of you owners experienced anything like this yet? Really short cut outs?
No, not that I know of
post #111 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 698
So you CAN or CAN NOT get great 5.1 surround by adding two LG series wireless speakers as rears
post #112 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

So.
I haven't experience this yet. I've just been comparing the overall quality of sound to my speakers to my PC setup. I've been using the WIFI streaming through the Music Flow app in Music mode. I did not have trouble connecting my speakers to my WIFI the first time around using a Galaxy S6. However, I purchased a new phone yesterday (S8) and had a slight bit of trouble getting my phone to connect to the bar. Finally, I closed the Music Flow app - tried again and it finally connected.

While listening to the Led Zeppelin Remastered stuff using FLAC Lossless I've come to realize a few impressions. The bar itself has literally no Bass extension whatsoever. You disconnect the sub and there is nothing in the lower frequencies, at all. Competing soundbars I've listened to had better lower definition - the ST300 comes to mind. I just wish the bar had slightly more extension down low and then have the rest of the frequencies handled by the sub which is doing a slight bit more than a sub should imo. The crossover between sub and bar is pretty good, no overlap to my (unrefined) ears. The presentation is not as foward sounding as compared to my stereo setup. Stereo separation is not the greatest either but I think that is to be expected so I'm not docking off any points. This IS a soundbar after all. I think you would be a fool to think otherwise to expect that type of performance from speakers fit so close together. I've now listened to the bar at volumes higher than 20, lol. I think the bar hits its sweet spot at around 27 volume, everything sounds so much better there. In fact, i think volume 1-10 is basically useless since the output is so ridiculously low.

I have no impressions of movie watching as the only Blu-ray I've watched this on was the Life nature documentaries narrated by David Attenborough! Not exactly reference material, lol.

Honestly, my thoughts on this speaker system is very favorable. I think this sound bar is in a good place. This soundbar checks everything off the list that I care about aside from DTS-X. Others don't even come close. The bar is not quite as good as the Bose Soundtouch 300 musically imo but the Bose costs 1400 for the package and CANNOT do Dolby Atmos. Same thing for the Sonos Playbar. The Bose also has iffy HDMI ARC handshake issues I've heard and the Sonos does not have HDMI at all. Other bars that have a far better sound come from boutique manufacturers cannot decode the more advanced codecs that the LG does plus they usually cost ~1200 or more for just the sound bar alone. I'm not even sure if those have WIFI or Bluetooth support. To me, only the Sony ST5000 comes close and that one costs $1500. However, judging by the ST9 which is basically the ST5000 without Atmos, the Sony had issues with distortion later on down the line. I've read that the output of the ST9 is kind of misleading as it does not put out the volume of sound that is expected of 700 watts that Sony says its capable of. I'm sure the ST5K will be the same. I bet it will sound better though, it better be for 1.5k.
post #113 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
So you CAN or CAN NOT get great 5.1 surround by adding two LG series wireless speakers as rears
Great? Dunno.
I haven't tested every setup so I can't say one way or the other for sure.
Every signal I send the soundbar comes through my TV so that might be doing something unsavory.
With my current setup it's sub-optimal but I reckon it's due to the lack of control on the soundbar.

I feel the Music Flow system in general isn't as robust as we'd like it to be.
post #114 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great? Dunno.
I haven't tested every setup so I can't say one way or the other for sure.
Every signal I send the soundbar comes through my TV so that might be doing something unsavory.
With my current setup it's sub-optimal but I reckon it's due to the lack of control on the soundbar.

I feel the Music Flow system in general isn't as robust as we'd like it to be.
Ah... that's right the soundbar only has 1 HDMI in...
post #115 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Ah... that's right the soundbar only has 1 HDMI in...
Why is that relevant?
post #116 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
So.

Yes, only while streaming something on my TV. The extra wifi access to/from the tv seems to make the sound cut out for a split second.

post #117 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Ed. The Android app was definitely better. I was able to feed the Music Flow app Plex as well as Roon on my phone with one caveat. Since the connection between Android app and sound bar is only via bluetooth, I could get anything higher than 16/44.1 audio to play properly through Roon. I tried to play 24/192 music and it was super slow and distorted--definitely too much for bluetooth.

On the desktop app, I tried mapping my NAS music folder to a drive letter, but the app didn't see it.

post #118 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Ed. The Android app was definitely better. I was able to feed the Music Flow app Plex as well as Roon on my phone with one caveat. Since the connection between Android app and sound bar is only via bluetooth, I could get anything higher than 16/44.1 audio to play properly through Roon. I tried to play 24/192 music and it was super slow and distorted--definitely too much for bluetooth.

On the desktop app, I tried mapping my NAS music folder to a drive letter, but the app didn't see it.
The Android app and soundboard don't use Bluetooth to communicate. They use the WiFi network. I know 24/192 works as I can stream them from my server to the soundbar over WiFi.
post #119 of 910 Old 04-22-2017, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why is that relevant?
Umm, because you just said:

"Every signal I send the soundbar comes through my TV so that might be doing something unsavory."
post #120 of 910 Old 04-23-2017, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
It doesn't make any sense to use a Dolby Atmos soundbar and connect all devices to the TV. 99.7% of the TVs are not able to forward the new audio formats through ARC. At least the Bluray player should connect directly to the bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page