Samsung HW-MS650 Sound+ Soundbar Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1 of 60 Old 04-20-2017, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6465 Post(s)
Liked: 11212
Samsung HW-MS650 Sound+ Soundbar Review

Samsung's HW-MS650 soundbar offer bass that's deep enough, you don't need a subwoofer. Better yet, it sounds great and offers lots of connectivity options. Click the link to read more: Samsung Sound+ HW-MS650 Soundbar Review

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-24-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 04-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 69
..."company’s new and expanding, world-class audio research lab in Valencia, California"...the same world class facility and engineering team that designed the car crash HW-K850 & HW-K950 Dolby Atmos Soundbars...I'll pass.

Waiting on the Sony 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000.
post #3 of 60 Old 04-21-2017, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Boards of Canada, Thievery Corp and Black Hippy? Awesome!
imagic likes this.

post #4 of 60 Old 04-24-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 780

This may be the perfect solution for our bedroom, and a huge upgrade to our Vizio soundbar there.

A nearly blind buy for me based on your review, and at $420 Amazon so tempting.

The size is perfect also: Product Dimensions41.7 x 5.1 x 3.1 inches

Quote:
List Price:$449.99 Price:$417.99 You Save:$32.00

I've added it to my que .... maybe place the order later today.
[Edit] wife gave me the thumbs up, order placed, arriving 4/26!!!

Current one is 6 years old , this will be a huge upgrade , and future proof it for 4K tv

Last edited by mtbdudex; 04-24-2017 at 08:42 AM.
post #5 of 60 Old 04-24-2017, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Samsung's HW-MS650 soundbar offer bass that's deep enough, you don't need a soundbar. Better yet, it sounds great and offers lots of connectivity options. Click the link to read more: Samsung Sound+ HW-MS650 Soundbar Review
A soundbar so good you don't even a soundbar!
post #6 of 60 Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwb View Post
A soundbar so good you don't even a soundbar!
Lols

post #7 of 60 Old 04-26-2017, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 85
If you were stranded on an island with only one soundbar of your choosing; will you choose the Sonos playbase or the MS650?
sarmadaqrawi likes this.
post #8 of 60 Old 04-26-2017, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by oledtech View Post
if you were stranded on an island with only one soundbar of your choosing; will you choose the sonos playbase or the ms650?
ms650
mtbdudex and sarmadaqrawi like this.

post #9 of 60 Old 04-26-2017, 11:19 AM

Liked: 12
How does this compare to the Bose Soundtouch 300?
post #10 of 60 Old 04-26-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mine just arrived!
After my 7th grade sons track meet I'll do the install tonight, and give feedback later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 60 Old 04-27-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Added mini-review:

Un-packed from box, mounted to wall where the old Vizio $90 soundbar was
>>I added a 10" Parts Express subwoofer to the Vizio soundbar 4 years ago also, much to my dismay there is not a subwoofer out option on this one at all. Possible Samsund did not want to mess with basic bass management so not offered.

I set my expectation high for this, as it's 6 years newer, $400+ vs $90, etc

a) It's so new not in Harmony database yet, so I used an older model that seemed to work well enough

b) my expectations for sound separation were too high, or more likely my layout not appropriate in general.
-Sitting in bed I'm 10 feet away and off angle, so the 42" wide sound bar is pointed towards my wifes spot, not mine.
-following the basic triangle rule I'm so far away the 3 separate channels blend into a near mono channel

c) Subjectively the sound quality seemed much cleaner and spl ability much higher than the vizio

I'm truly struggling with my own expectations of what a soundbar can deliver in terms of separation and imaging vs separate bookshelf speakers that are more widely seperated.
We angle the TV towards us, I'll have to experiment with angling the soundbar off the wall towards us to give it a fair subjective evaluation.

The original reason I got a soundbar 6 years ago for that Vizio 1080p 37" TV is it's speakers are down-firing and that really sucked.
post #12 of 60 Old 04-29-2017, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Brought one myself. Got it Thursday. like it so far but havent had a lot of time to play with it.
post #13 of 60 Old 05-01-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Will the Samsung Smart Remote from the 2016 KS8000 series operate this soundbar or is it only compatible with the 2017 series TV?
post #14 of 60 Old 05-01-2017, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I made a shelf to hold the soundbar so now it's angled towards us at the bed.
The sound quality is top notch, but honestly at 100 it's not really loud.
I'll take some db readings with my sound meter later.

Setup in our bedroom

Angled shelf , yes I need some cord management

The volume goes from 0-100, it's kinda slow and too granular up/down IMO.

Overall I'm on the fence post of keeping this, vs say some DIY fusion-6 to still give some imaging 14 feet away. Of course that involves some amp method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuckiefresh likes this.
post #15 of 60 Old 05-05-2017, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Got one to replace a ZVOX 570.

It's pretty great though I've had some issues when doing anything but connecting via optical.

I've been leaving it in smart mode -- was recommended in one of the reviews. Have only had it for a few days but happy so far.
post #16 of 60 Old 05-05-2017, 04:01 PM

Still deciding between this vs. Sonos Soundbar vs. Bose Soundtouch 300. Obviously, the price is a lot more attractive but anyone compared the actual sound between the three?
post #17 of 60 Old 05-06-2017, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Does this support Dolby Digital Plus? Trying to find something that'll work with my Roku 4.
post #18 of 60 Old 05-07-2017, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Will not connect to Uverse wifi?

I bought one and like it but it won't connect to my Uverse wifi? Have tried everything? Any one else have any suggestions or any issues? Get message no internet connection when it tries to connect. Have restarted and re plugged everything many times.
post #19 of 60 Old 05-12-2017, 11:11 PM

Decodes Dolby Digital Plus (DD+)

Hooked this up via HDMI ARC from Roku 4 to XBR940D to Samsung MS650.

Decodes Netflix DD+ stream without issue. Sonos Playbar and other soundbars that use TOSLINK cannot decode DD+ streams.

Two thumbs up!
post #20 of 60 Old 05-14-2017, 08:56 AM

Can anyone recommend a Soundbar mount that attaches to the TV that can hold this? I had those boomerang mounts and the soundbar is so heavy that it sags.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	335
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	2136073  
cydeweyz likes this.
post #21 of 60 Old 05-15-2017, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I end up getting one of these over the weekend. Looks like Amazon has it for $397.99 from a 3rd party seller or $417.99 direct from Amazon if anyone is still shopping for this soundbar.

Overall I think the soundbar sounds great and is a huge improvement to the lousy speakers inside the TV. I do wish there was a little more bass at times but given the size of the soundbar it does offer a decent low range. I am noticing some interesting audio behavior that I'm curious if anyone else has noticed. I often use Plex for streaming my own movies from my local NAS and so far this is the only place I've noticed what I'm going to try and describe.For some context, my Plex app is run through a built-in Roku inside my TCL 55US5800 4K TV. The HW-MS650 is connected to the TV via HDMI using ARC. The soundbar is set to standard sound output with the smart audio set to off and the dynamic control also set to off. In a few movies that I've demoed with the volume set to the 55-65 range, I've noticed that during loud action scenes that when their is dialog coming from the actor(s) that there is this weird dynamic change in the music and background sounds that's distracting. It's like the soundbar is compensating to emphasize the vocals by reducing the output of everything else temporarily while their is dialog happening. Once the dialog has finished, the background volume snaps back to the original levels. I don't know quite how to describe this phenomenon that I'm hearing as I don't have any other device that does this.

I've witnessed this with movies such as Star Trek Into Darkness, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and Pacific Rim for example. The movies that I have also contain the original uncompressed soundtracks which were added to my .mkv container in pass-thru mode. I'm wondering if I'm seeing an issue with the decoding of TrueHD and/or the DTS-HD tracks because this soundbar isn't really meant to decode these or maybe even ARC isn't designed for these types of audio tracks?
post #22 of 60 Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 699
ARC is not capable of the lossless formats except 2 channel PCM. However, it doesn't matter for that sound bar with multichannel formats it can only do Dolby Digital. It only does DTS 2 channel.
post #23 of 60 Old 05-16-2017, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by handruin View Post
I end up getting one of these over the weekend. Looks like Amazon has it for $397.99 from a 3rd party seller or $417.99 direct from Amazon if anyone is still shopping for this .....

I noticed this problem too last week but with a complete different setup. I'm using the Plex app on my XBOX ONE and my sound system is Harman Kardon BDS. At last I figured out that it is actually a recent PLEX update that caused this problem. Basically if the server is transcoding anything into AC3 format or the original sound track itself is AC3, then this proplem will occur as if there is a dynamic range compression that cannot be turned off. I solved this problem by modifying the profile file and force PLEX to transcode the sound into AAC format and everything sounds fine.
handruin likes this.
post #24 of 60 Old 05-16-2017, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Can anyone confirm whether Samsung will be a compatible sub available for this soundbar? I read in one of the reviews this would be the case. Does anyone know when it will be available?
post #25 of 60 Old 05-16-2017, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbran23 View Post
Can anyone confirm whether Samsung will be a compatible sub available for this soundbar? I read in one of the reviews this would be the case. Does anyone know when it will be available?
I do not know when it will be released, but yes Samsung showed a sub that will be compatible with this soundbar at CES.

post #26 of 60 Old 05-16-2017, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Quote:
I do not know when it will be released, but yes Samsung showed a sub that will be compatible with this soundbar at CES.
In your opinion, do u think the amount of bass produced from this stand alone unit (for now) is enough for a large living room/kitchen open concept area?
post #27 of 60 Old 05-16-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handruin View Post
I end up getting one of these over the weekend. Looks like Amazon has it for $397.99 from a 3rd party seller or $417.99 direct from Amazon if anyone is still shopping for this soundbar.

Overall I think the soundbar sounds great and is a huge improvement to the lousy speakers inside the TV. I do wish there was a little more bass at times but given the size of the soundbar it does offer a decent low range. I am noticing some interesting audio behavior that I'm curious if anyone else has noticed. I often use Plex for streaming my own movies from my local NAS and so far this is the only place I've noticed what I'm going to try and describe.For some context, my Plex app is run through a built-in Roku inside my TCL 55US5800 4K TV. The HW-MS650 is connected to the TV via HDMI using ARC. The soundbar is set to standard sound output with the smart audio set to off and the dynamic control also set to off. In a few movies that I've demoed with the volume set to the 55-65 range, I've noticed that during loud action scenes that when their is dialog coming from the actor(s) that there is this weird dynamic change in the music and background sounds that's distracting. It's like the soundbar is compensating to emphasize the vocals by reducing the output of everything else temporarily while their is dialog happening. Once the dialog has finished, the background volume snaps back to the original levels. I don't know quite how to describe this phenomenon that I'm hearing as I don't have any other device that does this.

I've witnessed this with movies such as Star Trek Into Darkness, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and Pacific Rim for example. The movies that I have also contain the original uncompressed soundtracks which were added to my .mkv container in pass-thru mode. I'm wondering if I'm seeing an issue with the decoding of TrueHD and/or the DTS-HD tracks because this soundbar isn't really meant to decode these or maybe even ARC isn't designed for these types of audio tracks?

In the manual below on page 21, there is something called DRC(DynamicRangeControl) and a way to disable it. I'm not sure if that will solve your issue but worth a try.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...ULL-170213.pdf
post #28 of 60 Old 05-16-2017, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
In your opinion, do u think the amount of bass produced from this stand alone unit (for now) is enough for a large living room/kitchen open concept area?
My personal opinion? I run four subs in my two-channel system and five subs in my home theater. So, no. But, compared to other soundbars? Yes, enough.

post #29 of 60 Old 05-20-2017, 06:51 PM

Having some issues with the HDMI Arc.

Basically it will work initially, but when I switch from watching TV to the apple TV, the apple TV connection drops out. It's weird. Do I need to change a setting on the apple tv I don't know about?
post #30 of 60 Old 05-21-2017, 12:51 PM

Hey, guys. Want to make sure I understand what this soundbar can do connection-wise before I do any more trouble-shooting.

Have a 2015 Samsung with smart connect. Direct TV connected to HDMI1, Apple TV connected to HDMI2, Blu Ray to HDMI3. Have HDMI ARC connected to the ARC on the soundbar.

If things are working correctly, when I switch HDMI inputs on the TV, I shouldn't have to switch anything on the soundbar, right?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
ms650 , Samsung , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page