Samsung HW-MS750 Soundbar & SWA-W700 10" Wireless Sub Hands-On - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By hsinnott
  • 2 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By hsinnott
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 2 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic

post #1 of 29 Old 08-07-2017, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6266 Post(s)
Liked: 10984
Samsung HW-MS750 Soundbar & SWA-W700 10" Wireless Sub Hands-On

Welcome the Samsung HW-MS750 soundbar and SWA-W700 10" wireless subwoofer hands-on blog. In this thread I'll discuss the process of setting up and using the MS750, a 5-channel soundbar that includes two elevation channels that it uses to provide a 3D immersive audio upmix effect.

Update: there's now a full review, click the following link to read it - Samsung Sound+ HW-MS750 & SWA-W700 5.1 Soundbar System Review

Also covered in this thread is the SWA-W700 10" sealed wireless subwoofer that's part of Samsung's Sound+ series and works with the HW-MS750.

The pairing of the MS750 and W700 gives TV viewers a system that is easy to install, easy to use, integrates seamlessly with the latest Samsung TVs, and performs at a high level for the price. Of particular interest is the W700, it's a far more robust sub than what's typically packaged with soundbars. When you consider the MS750's ability to play down to 35 Hz without a sub, what's apparent is this system takes bass seriously.

Check out this video I made of the MS750 paired with the W700. The sub is handling a barrage of bass beautifully...

-----
The AVS Forum Hands-On Review Process (master list of hands-on threads)

Mark Henninger (aka Imagic)

Last edited by imagic; 08-10-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-08-2017, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs up

Thank you for conducting the review, I am really looking forward to W700 performance review. This is what Ill base my purchase on, thank you once again.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-08-2017, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cuellar View Post
Thank you for conducting the review, I am really looking forward to W700 performance review. This is what Ill base my purchase on, thank you once again.
You bet. I'm extremely close to posting the review, it will be up by tomorrow at the latest. I'll have measurements of the subwoofer, of course.

post #4 of 29 Old 08-09-2017, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Connecting a power cord to the Samsung Sound+ SWA-W700 wireless subwoofer. Photo by Mark Henninger

This sub's design features no physical inputs, it's strictly wireless. Smartly, the power cords plugs into the bottom of the sub, and the 10-inch driver fires to the rear.

Last edited by imagic; 08-09-2017 at 09:43 AM.
post #5 of 29 Old 08-09-2017, 09:16 AM

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for reviews on the ms750. Looking forward to yours. I currently have one ordered from Amazon for $90 less after tax than other retailers, but it's back ordered. It became available at BestBuy 2 days ago. I'm thinking about getting it now. Not sure if I can wait anymore. Been waiting months for this soundbar.
post #6 of 29 Old 08-09-2017, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dada61js View Post
I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for reviews on the ms750. Looking forward to yours. I currently have one ordered from Amazon for $90 less after tax than other retailers, but it's back ordered. It became available at BestBuy 2 days ago. I'm thinking about getting it now. Not sure if I can wait anymore. Been waiting months for this soundbar.
So far, it's a real wow.

Last edited by imagic; 08-09-2017 at 05:59 PM.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-10-2017, 06:07 AM

Thank so much for the review, this is my future subwoofer, and very impressed with the results. Considering the soundbar I wouldn't say I was completely surprised, sub looks amazing too.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-10-2017, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cuellar View Post
Thank so much for the review, this is my future subwoofer, and very impressed with the results. Considering the soundbar I wouldn't say I was completely surprised, sub looks amazing too.
Full review now posted... I think is was a very savvy move by Samsung to make the subwoofer such a good performer. http://www.avsforum.com/samsung-soun...system-review/

Last edited by imagic; 08-11-2017 at 07:57 AM.
post #9 of 29 Old 08-11-2017, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very nice review! Curious to try it out now.

I wonder if the surround speakers are added, would it be a true decoding of DTS/DD format or just emulated like the height speakers.

I know LG's soundbar had a similar option but they just emulated the surround sound unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 29 Old 08-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Based on the gushing review I'd be interested to hear this soundbar...but I'm kinda' sceptical. And all this talk about Samsung "leveraging the technical expertise and state-of-the-art measurement and testing equipment assembled at the company’s California-based audio-research laboratory"...balony!!
Their Atmos soundbar is a flawed product. Browse thru owners threads for it and you will see what I mean.
If Samsung could use their "technical expertise" and release an Atmos soundbar without all the bugs, handled dts-X in addition to Atmos, and came with the SWA-W700 10" Wireless Sub then I might consider them "experts".
But I'd still sure as hell be waiting months before buying such a system to make sure it didn't have any technical issues, from the technical experts at the state of the art lab blah blah blah
Spock1234 likes this.
post #11 of 29 Old 08-11-2017, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post
Based on the gushing review I'd be interested to hear this soundbar...but I'm kinda' sceptical. And all this talk about Samsung "leveraging the technical expertise and state-of-the-art measurement and testing equipment assembled at the company’s California-based audio-research laboratory"...balony!!
Their Atmos soundbar is a flawed product. Browse thru owners threads for it and you will see what I mean.

If Samsung could use their "technical expertise" and release an Atmos soundbar without all the bugs, handled dts-X in addition to Atmos, and came with the SWA-W700 10" Wireless Sub then I might consider them "experts".
But I'd still sure as hell be waiting months before buying such a system to make sure it didn't have any technical issues, from the technical experts at the state of the art lab blah blah blah
Not baloney at all. The sound lab's job is to make sure the amps and drivers and enclosure and DSP EQ and all that work to create great sound. It's not directly related to what formats the soundbar supports, or not. Anyhow, the K850/950, that's a different product.

FWIW, I visited the audio research lab. It's full of very smart engineers and it's absolutely a fact that it's impacted the fidelity of the company's products in a positive way. Now that Samsung owns Harman, I'd expect even more progress in terms of audio fidelity.

The K950 did have connectivity issues with the wireless surrounds, and people did gripe about the lack of DTS:X (which the K850/K950 are not unique in not supporting). I'll grant all that. Those were the first two models to feature drivers developed at the new facility, yada yayda. And that soundbar also sounds great, although the sub is not nearly what the W700 sub is.

Main thing is, this is a review of this soundbar, not that soundbar. Partly thanks to the sub, and partly because it's a second generation product to come from the sound lab, this is Samsung's best soundbar system yet, even though it does not do Atmos or DTS:X.
hsinnott and Kini62 like this.

post #12 of 29 Old 08-11-2017, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, the track I used for the video of the sub, I've got that available as a 24-bit/192kHz download from soundcloud.com if anyone is interested. https://soundcloud.com/psychedelicious/profunditty

post #13 of 29 Old 08-13-2017, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Not baloney at all. The sound lab's job is to make sure the amps and drivers and enclosure and DSP EQ and all that work to create great sound. It's not directly related to what formats the soundbar supports, or not. Anyhow, the K850/950, that's a different product.

FWIW, I visited the audio research lab. It's full of very smart engineers and it's absolutely a fact that it's impacted the fidelity of the company's products in a positive way. Now that Samsung owns Harman, I'd expect even more progress in terms of audio fidelity.

The K950 did have connectivity issues with the wireless surrounds, and people did gripe about the lack of DTS:X (which the K850/K950 are not unique in not supporting). I'll grant all that. Those were the first two models to feature drivers developed at the new facility, yada yayda. And that soundbar also sounds great, although the sub is not nearly what the W700 sub is.

Main thing is, this is a review of this soundbar, not that soundbar. Partly thanks to the sub, and partly because it's a second generation product to come from the sound lab, this is Samsung's best soundbar system yet, even though it does not do Atmos or DTS:X.
Sorry I did not mean to sound so cynical in my post. I'm just frustrated that after recently moving, having sold my Atlantic Technology speakers and now needing a simpler surround set up for my new home, that I still cannot find a decent soundbar that checks all the boxes. I had high hopes for the Sony HT-ST5000 after the rave reviews from CES 2017 prior to launch, but even that has been getting negative reviews for it's lack of Atmos effects and doubts about a future dts-X upgrade.
imagic likes this.
post #14 of 29 Old 08-13-2017, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry I did not mean to sound so cynical in my post. I'm just frustrated that after recently moving, having sold my Atlantic Technology speakers and now needing a simpler surround set up for my new home, that I still cannot find a decent soundbar that checks all the boxes. I had high hopes for the Sony HT-ST5000 after the rave reviews from CES 2017 prior to launch, but even that has been getting negative reviews for it's lack of Atmos effects and doubts about a future dts-X upgrade.
It's all good. From a pure fidelity standpoint, the Samsung has the Sony beat. First, the sub. Sony's is good, Samsung's is better. But also, the MS750 can play clean, louder. So, for most people, that's gonna equal more dynamic range.

The reality is that a significant number of rooms are going to be sub-optimal for that Sony soundbar to have properly-rendered Atmos effects. A too short ceiling, or sitting too far back, or any combination of the two, and the potential for it not working out as hoped exists.

The way the MS750 implements elevation channels, at least to my ears, makes this less of a concern. Since it's an upmix, there's no use expecting true height effects from the MS750 soundbar, just an elevated and expanded soundfield. It delivers on that.

Will a great AVR-based system beat it? Obviously. But for a $1200 total investment, this combo is a cut above most soundbars and does have qualities akin to what $120 gets you in a 5.1 AVR-based system (total cost of speakers, subs, AVR, speaker cables, and maybe speaker stands or brackets).

and if you can get the Sony to work within your room and seeing arrangement, then it is a great sandbar. But if you can't get it to work, then obviously you might not want to spend the money on Atmos, as opposed to just better fidelity.
hsinnott likes this.

post #15 of 29 Old 08-13-2017, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
The way the MS750 implements elevation channels, at least to my ears, makes this less of a concern. Since it's an upmix, there's no use expecting true height effects from the MS750 soundbar, just an elevated and expanded soundfield. It delivers on that.

Will a great AVR-based system beat it? Obviously. But for a $1200 total investment, this combo is a cut above most soundbars

Would you say the HW-MS750 with sub is superior to the HW-K850?
post #16 of 29 Old 08-14-2017, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
Would you say the HW-MS750 with sub is superior to the HW-K850?
That's an interesting question because it pitches the value of the dedicated Atmos-enabled elevation channels of the HW-K850 versus the upmix-only elevation channels of the HW-MS750, and then balances it versus the value of the superiority of the SWA-700 to the HW-K850's included sub.

At the end of the day, I'd say this combo (HW-MS750 & SWA-700) is Samsung's best soundbar system to date. The better bass is more useful, more of the time. And the upmixing on the HW-MS750 offers much of the benefit (lifting and expanding the front soundstage). The soundbars themselves are not that different, but the sub... there's no comparison. The SWA-W700 is what makes the Sound+ options stand out among soundbars available in 2017.

Let's hope the 850 and 950 replacements are Sound+ devices that work with the SWA-W700. That could be amazing and raise the bar for soundbars. I have no insight into what comes next, just thinking out loud.
cydeweyz likes this.

post #17 of 29 Old 08-14-2017, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
That's an interesting question because it pitches the value of the dedicated Atmos-enabled elevation channels of the HW-K850 versus the upmix-only elevation channels of the HW-MS750, and then balances it versus the value of the superiority of the SWA-700 to the HW-K850's included sub.

At the end of the day, I'd say this combo (HW-MS750 & SWA-700) is Samsung's best soundbar system to date. The better bass is more useful, more of the time. And the upmixing on the HW-MS750 offers much of the benefit (lifting and expanding the front soundstage). The soundbars themselves are not that different, but the sub... there's no comparison. The SWA-W700 is what makes the Sound+ options stand out among soundbars available in 2017.

Let's hope the 850 and 950 replacements are Sound+ devices that work with the SWA-W700. That could be amazing and raise the bar for soundbars. I have no insight into what comes next, just thinking out loud.

But 850/950 can also use the ATMOS channels as generic height channels just to elevate sound field when not playing ATMOS sound track. Would you say that the MS750 sounds better than 950?
post #18 of 29 Old 08-14-2017, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearfalls View Post
But 850/950 can also use the ATMOS channels as generic height channels just to elevate sound field when not playing ATMOS sound track. Would you say that the MS750 sounds better than 950?
Exactly, that's what I'm agreeing with, they share that ability. The front speaker raised just about the same, the primary differences have to do with at most versus generic up mix elevation channels.

As a complete system? I think having the rear channels and the rear up-firing (and therefore four elevation channel) implementation of Atmos is enough to tilt back to the HW-K950. 5.1.4 Atmos is compelling, none of the other soundbars out there can do 4 elevation channels and it's the rear channels that really bring the effect home and provide what can accurately be called 3D immersive audio.
hsinnott and tearfalls like this.

post #19 of 29 Old 08-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's all good. From a pure fidelity standpoint, the Samsung has the Sony beat. First, the sub. Sony's is good, Samsung's is better. But also, the MS750 can play clean, louder. So, for most people, that's gonna equal more dynamic range.

The reality is that a significant number of rooms are going to be sub-optimal for that Sony soundbar to have properly-rendered Atmos effects. A too short ceiling, or sitting too far back, or any combination of the two, and the potential for it not working out as hoped exists.

Will a great AVR-based system beat it? Obviously. But for a $1200 total investment, this combo is a cut above most soundbars and does have qualities akin to what $120 gets you in a 5.1 AVR-based system (total cost of speakers, subs, AVR, speaker cables, and maybe speaker stands or brackets).

and if you can get the Sony to work within your room and seeing arrangement, then it is a great sandbar. But if you can't get it to work, then obviously you might not want to spend the money on Atmos, as opposed to just better fidelity.
Thanks for the interesting reply.
I moved into a brand new build and tv room is almost square and all walls flush/flat- no beams etc in ceiling to get in the way of sound. I'd be sitting back exactly 8 1/2 feet from soundbar and height from top of soundbar to ceiling is 6 feet 1 inch. As mentioned ceiling is completely flat/smooth.
Based on those dimensions do you think the Sony would produce a good Atmos effect?
post #20 of 29 Old 08-14-2017, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the interesting reply.
I moved into a brand new build and tv room is almost square and all walls flush/flat- no beams etc in ceiling to get in the way of sound. I'd be sitting back exactly 8 1/2 feet from soundbar and height from top of soundbar to ceiling is 6 feet 1 inch. As mentioned ceiling is completely flat/smooth.
Based on those dimensions do you think the Sony would produce a good Atmos effect?
You've got the right ingredients there. I would think it would work in that circumstance, yes.
hsinnott likes this.

post #21 of 29 Old 08-14-2017, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You've got the right ingredients there. I would think it would work in that circumstance, yes.
Thanks. It will be interesting to see if Sony adds rear speakers to their Atmos soundbar in future...and whether Samsung release an updated Atmos soundbar paired with the SWA-W700 sub- that combo from Samsung would be ideal choice imo.
post #22 of 29 Old 08-15-2017, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sonos?

Hi. Many thanks for the great review. One question I have - is this MS750 + SWA-W700 combo better than Sonos Playbar + Sonos Sub combo?
post #23 of 29 Old 08-15-2017, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric74 View Post
Hi. Many thanks for the great review. One question I have - is this MS750 + SWA-W700 combo better than Sonos Playbar + Sonos Sub combo?
Yes, Definitely. I've reviewed both.
49Merc likes this.

post #24 of 29 Old 08-15-2017, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks. It will be interesting to see if Sony adds rear speakers to their Atmos soundbar in future...and whether Samsung release an updated Atmos soundbar paired with the SWA-W700 sub- that combo from Samsung would be ideal choice imo.
I second that notion, Samsung could have a world-beating soundbar system if it simply did that.
hsinnott likes this.

post #25 of 29 Old 08-15-2017, 06:12 PM

Would this soundbar sound best sitting below tv or is wall mounted above tv still okay ? Thanks
post #26 of 29 Old 08-15-2017, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dada61js View Post
Would this soundbar sound best sitting below tv or is wall mounted above tv still okay ? Thanks
While mounting it above the TV would make it necessary to sit closer to get the full benefit of the elevation effect, overall I would think either position is fine.

Last edited by imagic; 08-15-2017 at 06:25 PM.
post #27 of 29 Old 08-15-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
While mounting it above the TV would make it necessary to sit closer to get the full benefit of the elevation effect, overall I would think either position is fine.
Thanks. What do you think the minimum distance from ceiling should be ? How close to above tv mounted soundbar would be ideal sitting for elevation effect ? I bought this soundbar 4 days ago. So far I'm loving it. I have it paired with Samsung ks8000. The sub is on my wishlist for now.
post #28 of 29 Old 08-15-2017, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Please rank this Samsung HW-MS750 &SWA-S700 in your list of top recommended sound bars w/subwoofers. Disregard cost, if logical. This is very important to me as we plan our move to 4K.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad

Last edited by 49Merc; 08-15-2017 at 10:11 PM.
post #29 of 29 Old 08-15-2017, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I just want to know if those two little extra upfiring speakers even make a difference vs the MS650.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
hw-ms750 , Samsung , soundbar , swa-w700

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page