Anyone Have Experience with Nakamichi Soundwafe? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1 of 46 Old 09-04-2017, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Anyone Have Experience with Nakamichi Soundwafe?

I was about to settle on a Samsung MS750 + Sub when an ad popped up on my feed for these two soundbars-

Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTS:X
https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockwafe-ultra-preorder/

Shockwafe Elite 7.2 DTS:X
https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockwafe-elite-preorder/

Some measurements from Nakamichi indicate the 9.2 Ultra is way too big for my wife to tolerate:

Dimensions (in inches):
- Sound bar: 45.5" x 3.3" x 3.0"
- Subwoofers: 13.0" x 11.0" x 20.5"
- Rears: 5.0" x 5.4" x 8.0"

The 7.2 Elite though might be a more acceptable size while edging the MS750 on features, but is it reliable based on previous products?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 09-04-2017, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Also is 2- 8" 35hz subwoofers better than 1- 10" 27hz subwoofer? Space and bass might be the deciding factor.
post #3 of 46 Old 09-04-2017, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Two subs are better than one to get seat to seat consistency and tame room modes. Actually it is impossible with one. I am impressed to see a sound bar consider two subs. Someone at Nakamichi understands acoustics. To use two subwoofers they need to be at opposite ends of the room, like one in the front on the left and one in the back on the right. You can also use one in the middle of the wall and one on the opposite wall. Like middle of the front wall and middle of the back wall. It works for the sides as well. What you can't do to solve room modes is place the subs near each other on the same wall.

I couldn't find much on specs for these bars. Two 8" subs will usually equal the output of one 10" sub but might not go as low. However quality of driver, amplifier power and size of box all come into play in determining how loud and low a sub will output. Without solids specs it is tough to determine which will perform better. Going by dimensions it probably uses smaller drivers like many other sound bars. Smaller drivers limit output and increase crossover frequency to the sub. When using small drivers some vocals will come out of the sub, upper bass and midrange will not sound as full and volume will be limited or will distort. This is a common trade off as many taller sound bars needed for larger drivers have even less spouse appeal

Overall these look pretty good and will probably compare to other sound bars with surround speakers.
DaveMatthewsLover likes this.

post #4 of 46 Old 09-06-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Nakamichi

There was a preview article in Soundandvision recently: https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...dtsx-soundbars

The larger bar uses two 10" subs!
cydeweyz likes this.
post #5 of 46 Old 09-06-2017, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Just pre-ordered mine!

Just pre-ordered mine today. I chose the 9.2. Yep, it has two 10" subwoofers.

I chose this over the Sony HTST5000, honestly couldnt see how the Sony could be better because this truly looks like a complete sound bar system VS sony. It's cheaper too.

Super excited
post #6 of 46 Old 09-06-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's some more info: http://www.audioholics.com/soundbar-...e-9.2-soundbar

"...With the Ultra 9.2 Nakamichi kept their award winning soundbar, but increased the size of their satellite speakers from a single 2 ½” full range driver per speaker to a bipolar 3” driver and 1” tweeter. But since it’s a 9.2 system they also added two more satellite speakers for rear and side surround..."

Note the abundance of inputs and outputs, as well as the use of bipolar 3 inch drivers for the satellites. What would really be amazing (someone should contact Nakamichi) is to get a firmware upgrade for DTS:Virtual X which should not be difficult given its DTS:X spec. With a 9.2 setup Virtual X would likely give crazy height effects.
post #7 of 46 Old 09-06-2017, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Nakamichi 9.2 soundbar

I purchased a Nakamichi Shockwave 7.1 soundbar from Amazon last year and it did perform above my expectations except for the remote control (you have to be right in the middle).

Wouldn't mind upgrading to two subwoofers and four surround speakers in the back since I just bought an 65" LG OLED. Specs on this new Nakamichi looks way better than anything else out there at a similar price range. Trying to get more information but seems limited.

Anyone else listened to this? Thoughts?
It only has DTS:X but no Atmos, is it a big deal?
post #8 of 46 Old 09-06-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicoled View Post
I purchased a Nakamichi Shockwave 7.1 soundbar from Amazon last year and it did perform above my expectations except for the remote control (you have to be right in the middle).

Wouldn't mind upgrading to two subwoofers and four surround speakers in the back since I just bought an 65" LG OLED. Specs on this new Nakamichi looks way better than anything else out there at a similar price range. Trying to get more information but seems limited.

Anyone else listened to this? Thoughts?
It only has DTS:X but no Atmos, is it a big deal?
I found a youtube tech reviewer who listened to it during CES this year:
epicoled likes this.
post #9 of 46 Old 09-07-2017, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

They replied to my email stating that units are headed to reviewers soon. Hope reviews come out before they stop taking pre-orders.
post #10 of 46 Old 09-07-2017, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The subject of DTS:X vs DTS Virtual X is a bit fuzzy to me, but from what I undertsand DTS:X requires upfiring speakers (or ceiling mounted) as does Atmos, but Virtual X doesn't need them. To further confuse the matter the Nakamichi (which looks like an excitong device) has front upfiring speakers...but not necessarily linked to encoded height effects. At any rate, a really solid sounding 9.2 system is in my opinion better than a lightweight Atmos setup, and if Virtual X would work with this soundbar it would be the best of all worlds. I looked for a phone number, but the only contact was email. At one time Nakamichi made great audiophile cassette decks.
post #11 of 46 Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
The subject of DTS:X vs DTS Virtual X is a bit fuzzy to me, but from what I undertsand DTS:X requires upfiring speakers (or ceiling mounted) as does Atmos, but Virtual X doesn't need them. To further confuse the matter the Nakamichi (which looks like an excitong device) has front upfiring speakers...but not necessarily linked to encoded height effects. At any rate, a really solid sounding 9.2 system is in my opinion better than a lightweight Atmos setup, and if Virtual X would work with this soundbar it would be the best of all worlds. I looked for a phone number, but the only contact was email. At one time Nakamichi made great audiophile cassette decks.
I don't think it has front upfiring speakers. It has "surround effects" speakers located on the bar that fires sound outwards to sort of widen the soundstage. I don't see anything on their website talking about the speakers being upfiring. I also don't think DTSX requires upfiring speakers because on the DTSX website, it says "We make sound move, so your speakers don't have to. Because DTS:X doesn't require any specific speaker layout, you can arrange your home theater system however you want". It seems more like DTS:X adapts to whatever speaker layout your system has. I have also tried to see if there is Virtual X but can't seem to find any info.
post #12 of 46 Old 09-15-2017, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsLover View Post
I don't think it has front upfiring speakers. It has "surround effects" speakers located on the bar that fires sound outwards to sort of widen the soundstage....

...I also don't think DTSX requires upfiring speakers because on the DTSX website, it says "We make sound move, so your speakers don't have to. Because DTS:X doesn't require any specific speaker layout, you can arrange your home theater system however you want". It seems more like DTS:X adapts to whatever speaker layout your system has. I have also tried to see if there is Virtual X but can't seem to find any info.
You're right about the sidefiring rather than upfiring speakers, and you're right about the lack of need for upfiring for Virtual:X. I knew that upfiring wasn't necessary because of the Yamaha YAS 207, but I thought that Virtual:X could employ some mix of speakers, including upfiring, as in two front up firing.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the Nakamichi compares to the Creative X, don't you think?
post #13 of 46 Old 09-18-2017, 02:18 AM

Quote:
You're right about the sidefiring rather than upfiring speakers, and you're right about the lack of need for upfiring for Virtual:X. I knew that upfiring wasn't necessary because of the Yamaha YAS 207, but I thought that Virtual:X could employ some mix of speakers, including upfiring, as in two front up firing.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the Nakamichi compares to the Creative X, don't you think?
Definitely! I still cannot find a place where I can listen to the Creative. Seems like it was only displayed at CEDIA 2017 recently. Hopefully, in October, when my preordered Nakamichi 9.2 soundbar arrives, there will be somewhere for me to demo the Creative to do a comparison. I'm super intrigued by it (especially its price haha).

I will also write a review of the 9.2.
post #14 of 46 Old 09-18-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 159
at least the Nakamichi is "affordable" compared to the crazy price of the Creative X model ($5800), which has been intrigued for the Nakamichi
epicoled likes this.
post #15 of 46 Old 09-18-2017, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, the Creative device doesn't have rear speakers or the option for them, which you would think would be included at that price. I believe CNET included the Creative in a list of luxury devices at CEDIA. I think that companies that try to give value to consumers with fair pricing are poised to be rewarded in the marketplace.
post #16 of 46 Old 09-19-2017, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Been doing quite a bit of research, is the Nakamichi the only soundbar with two subwoofers?

https://www.facebook.com/nakamichius...type=3&theater

From what I have read, dual subs is definitely the way to go, thoughts?
post #17 of 46 Old 09-19-2017, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

it's the only sound bar I know with two subs included.

You can get a Creative X Sonic Carrier with an optional second sub for $8000, or you can get a decent used car.
post #18 of 46 Old 09-20-2017, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicoled View Post
Been doing quite a bit of research, is the Nakamichi the only soundbar with two subwoofers?

https://www.facebook.com/nakamichius...type=3&theater

From what I have read, dual subs is definitely the way to go, thoughts?
The big advantage of two or more subs is getting better seat to seat consistency. With one sub the bass response can vary significantly between seats making EQ unlikely to work for all seats. The second sub can make the bass response very similar between the seats allowing EQ adjustments to work for all seats. The trick to two or more subs is placement and the subs need to be at opposite walls to be most effective. If you put two subs near each other you they act as one and you will not get the seat to seat consistency only an increase in output. I think it is awesome this sound bar comes with two subs, I wish all systems did!
epicoled likes this.
post #19 of 46 Old 09-20-2017, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 71
That looks awesome! The 9.2 version looks perfect for my new apartment.

Are the speakers wireless?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #20 of 46 Old 09-20-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It turns out that the side tweeter on the soundbar are angled out and slightly upwards...so they are moderately up-firing,
post #21 of 46 Old 09-20-2017, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can someone confirm, are the subs and surround speakers wireless ? Or is it just the subs?

Also any info as to when pre orders will ship?

Thanks!
post #22 of 46 Old 09-20-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes. Everything is wireless from what I've read, including this Audioholics Preview:

"...At what point has a soundbar system gone too far? Audio Company Nakamichi is definitely pushing the limits with their new 9.2 Channel Shockwafe Ultra wireless soundbar system which was just announced last week at CES in Las Vegas Nevada. Wait- What? Did you say 9.2 WIRELESS 9.2 system? That’s right, the 45” front soundbar comes with 8 internal speakers including two side firing sound effect speakers, four modular wireless side and rear speakers, and TWO wireless 10” subwoofers. The system has 18 speaker drivers and a multitude of setup options all for around $1000!"

http://www.audioholics.com/soundbar-...e-9.2-soundbar

The $1000 price is the early preorder price, with final price aroubd $1500. Note that the preorder price is related in a realistic way to the final price. This is fair pricing.
post #23 of 46 Old 09-20-2017, 08:41 PM

Hopefully this thing turns out to be everything they make it out to be.

If it's all wireless I'll probably need to get some speaker stands for the individual speakers and place them around my listening area.

post #24 of 46 Old 09-20-2017, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Based off of how the previous sound bar is set up, one of the subs will have the rear speakers connected to it. Via long cables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #25 of 46 Old 09-20-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
Based off of how the previous sound bar is set up, one of the subs will have the rear speakers connected to it. Via long cables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, that will be crappy. I don't want long cables running through my living room.
That being the case I'll probably put that subwoofer against my window side wall - I have an open living room connecting my kitchen. If the wires are coming off of both subs then that might not work for me. I included a floor plan of my new apartment- I'd like to know if people think this speaker system (because I don't even really consider this a soundbar) would be appropriate for my living room.

I'd put that $200 deposit on it right now but they don't say whether it's refundable or not (plus they're charging taxes on it). I'll give them a call tomorrow to try and find out more info- like release date, if it's truly wireless, and if the deposit is refundable, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg apartment pic.jpg (56.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by DaveFi; 09-20-2017 at 09:17 PM.
post #26 of 46 Old 09-20-2017, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cydewaze may be right. If the 9.2 follows the design pattern of the 7.1 Shockwave, then it would have wires running from the second sub to the satellites. But the rears on the 9.2 are basically two speakers each side joined together as dipole rears, or optionally as a left side left rear, and right side right rear. That would be a lot of wires, so I think someone needs to ask Nakamichi for clarification by email. I tried to find a phone number.
post #27 of 46 Old 09-21-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I did reach out to Nakamichi by email, but then I believe I found the answer on the website, in the description of the Ultra 7.2 Shockwave (as opposed to the earlier, Pro model). If the 9.2 and 7.2 models are the same in most respects (except the 9.2 doubles the satellites, and permits coupling them as dipoles), the rear speakers are wired to the rear subwoofer. If this is true… I'll know when I get an email from them… then it seems like an acceptable compromise in what looks to be a very powerful, and fairly priced sound bar.

Also, in their description, Nakamichi talks about object based sound that can place sound anywhere in the room, and so it's probable that the soundbar includes DTS Virtual X. As I mentioned before, the side firing tweeters in the bar itself are angled slightly upwards. This contrasts with the Creative bar's four up firing drivers in their bar. But the Nakamichi 9.2 also has true rear (and side if you prefer) for actual discrete channels. I'm really curious to see a review of this soundbar.
post #28 of 46 Old 09-21-2017, 10:08 AM

Since I have an open living room (no wall on one side), I can't have wires running all over the place, so if I do get this I might have to have rear speakers only- it will probably make a big difference going from 2 to 4 satellites. It's really too bad they decided to go this route. I'm eager to hear how the satellite speakers are wired to the subs.

Too bad, but for that fact it would have been perfect.

Last edited by DaveFi; 09-21-2017 at 10:11 AM.
post #29 of 46 Old 09-21-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, at this price point it's shaping up to being potentially a great device, even with a few wires. In the Creative thread one poster said the Creative was not really a soundbar, in part because it is a 1000 watt device. Well, if the Audioholics preview is correct, then the Nakamichi is between 800 and 1000 watts. Moreover, the satellite speakers utilize tweeters and 3 inch drivers. 3 inch drivers are great in a soundbar system, although I wonder why they weren't used in the bar itself, as opposed to 2 1/2 inch drivers. Still, it sounds like a pretty amazing device.
post #30 of 46 Old 09-21-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Well, at this price point it's shaping up to being potentially a great device, even with a few wires. In the Creative thread one poster said the Creative was not really a soundbar, in part because it is a 1000 watt device. Well, if the Audioholics preview is correct, then the Nakamichi is between 800 and 1000 watts. Moreover, the satellite speakers utilize tweeters and 3 inch drivers. 3 inch drivers are great in a soundbar system, although I wonder why they weren't used in the bar itself, as opposed to 2 1/2 inch drivers. Still, it sounds like a pretty amazing device.
It does sound great, but as I said- anyone with any kind of open space (no wall on either side) is going to have a problem with wires running on the floor through the middle of the room. This is a serious issue.

Last edited by DaveFi; 09-21-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page