How to use Vizio5451 to get DD 5.1? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-12-2017, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How to use Vizio5451 to get DD 5.1?

Trying this forum, as no luck with the Audio Theory one...

I have the Vizio5451 which supports only DD, not DD+ (seriously... a 2014 product?).

I have my LG 50 inch TV (2015ish) ARC HDMI plugged into the soundbar. Soundbar also supports optical of course.

I get 5.1 from my TV itself. Anything 5.1 watched from a USB stick does give me the correct sound. I've downloaded Dolby test videos and they sound awesome.
Over the air presumably would work.

However, anything off the Roku will not work because the Roku will not transcode the DD+ to DD and this is the highest priority.

So now they have this Roku Ultra which DOES dumb-down the signal and has an optical out. What would be the best way to use this capability if I found one on sale?

Option 1: Connect Roku Ultra optical out to soundbar. I guess I'd get 5.1 for Roku (netflix/amazon/etc), then use the SD card for any other random stuff to play? My TV is really good about taking any ole format and playing it. Hopefully the Ultra can do likewise? I'd basically lose Over the Air 5.1 which is not a big deal.

Option 2: Ive read about HDMI and optical splitters, but most of the conversations have gone over my head.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-13-2017, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can your TV transcode the signal? I have a Roku Ultra which can do that. Also, my display, a Vizio P-55 C1 can do the transcoding. I am no longer using it but I had the same soundbar setup for a year and it would get DD signal via HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page