In Wall or Soundbar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-22-2007, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I keep going back and forth between what I want, I'm hoping some good advice will follow this thread. I only have a budget of 1500.00 to work with so that is why I was thinking of the Yamaha YSP line. I want a nice clean install with no wires or speakers hanging off the walls standing on the floor etc. Here are the
Room Dimension = 13'8x9'5x13'5 (no back wall as the kitchen is behind the living room.) I would say I listen to HT 60% and Music 40%. I will be having my plasma (PRO-1140HD) installed on June 9th so I have a little time...just trying to make the right choice beforehand.

Also I have an older Kenwood HTB system which contains a VR-407 receiver. If I decide on In Walls could I go with this receiver and just buy new 5.1 speakers for the time being until I can afford a better receiver?

Pioneer PRO-1140HD
SVS PB10-NSD
Yamaha YSP-1100
Samsung 1080 upconvert DVD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-22-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sounds like you are close to my neck of the woods if you are in Arkansas?

The Yamaha YSP-1000 is by far the best speaker of this type out there. I carry both the Polk Audio and the Yamaha and 100% of the people choose the YSP Series over the Polk in sound quality. However, it's more expensive than the Polk, so that ends up being a factor for most. I have sold A LOT of these and it really can be a nice sounding and finished look (both brands).

Your HTB won't power in-wall or standalone speakers very well at all as it's made to power very efficient and often smallish types of speakers. It just won't do your new speakers justice.

I would do the Yamaha YSP-1000 or 800 and add a new Yamaha surround receiver. You can easily do this for $1500 if you went the YSP-800 plus a Yamaha receiver. The YSP-1000 would require some more $$$.

In-wall speakers can be quite good and sound better than on-wall speakers. Installation adds to the cost, but for sound quality a decent in-wall will better on-wall speakers.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #3 of 7 Old 05-22-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Raised in Arkansas now a Texas transplant. Anyway I love the sound of the YSP I'm just curious if the area this will support will be appropriate. I could always buy it and return it if doesn't fit the bill I guess.

Pioneer PRO-1140HD
SVS PB10-NSD
Yamaha YSP-1100
Samsung 1080 upconvert DVD
post #4 of 7 Old 05-22-2007, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The YSP will fit that size room nicely. It has it's limitations in larger spaces, though. Remember, it's mimicking surround sound and using early reflections off the side walls as well as the ceiling. So, the smaller the room the better in most cases.

Quote:

I could always buy it and return it if doesn't fit the bill I guess.

Possibly, but the YSP must be mounted and a dealer might not accept a return. A big box retailer probably would, though. Support the small guys, they will work hardest for your business and you'll have a relationship built for future upgrades.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #5 of 7 Old 05-30-2007, 11:04 PM

I have the YSP and I do love it - but it won't work for that room. If you have no rear wall, the sound can't bounce off the back to create your rear channels. You should check out the web site so you understand the physics of how it works, and where it bounces sound off, but it sounds to me as if your rear channels are going to bounce into the kitchen and you will never hear them...
post #6 of 7 Old 05-30-2007, 11:17 PM

I have a similar room with a kitchen at my back. Tried out the YSP-1000 and it had a pretty tough time producing surround sound. Likely made even more difficult as to its left instead of a wall it had to deal with a huge window covered by thick drapes. On the right hand side I had a fireplace. Behind me the closest wall was in the kitchen which was about 14 feet from my back. Not an ideal setup for the YSP and it really suffered with surround.

Music it did pretty well with, but you definitely need a sub to go with it.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-31-2007, 04:20 PM

My understanding is that the YSP does not need a receiver and does not have to be mounted as someone above claimed. This actually could make it cheaper than the polk as you do not have to upgrade or buy a receiver. The back wall issue is valid depending on the effect you are looking for (it won't give t you the full surround effect but you should still get some sound from the sides. I think 3 beam will help. It wont be a good as it can get though.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page