AVS Forum banner

Will the Yamaha Soundbar work here?

11K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  lalakersfan34 
#1 ·
The room has a wall on the right that is only about 5 feet then opens into a larger room. On the other side is a glass door then a wall about 3 more feet. Worried that the Yamaha won't have enough to bounce off of. Like the Phillips but dont want their DVD player. Can't use a real 5.1 system, no wires allowed says the boss. Ideas?

--------------------------l TV on wall l--------------------------

l 4 ft 4ft l

l l

l l

l 5ft l

l l

l l

-

Glass door

-

l SOFA

l

l

l

See less See more
#2 ·
Just a question...when you watch TV/movies, are you sitting on the sofa along the side wall of the room? If you do, it won't matter if you use the soundbar or a 7.1 HT setup, you won't be getting a good surround experience. Please let me know if I'm misinterpreting your diagram (which is quite possible!). Good luck.

Stephen

#3 ·
The sofa is in the middle of the room, about 10- 12 feet from the TV. There is a wall (with glass doors) on my left when sitting on the sofa facing the TV. The wall to my right is only about 5 feet long. The room opens into kitchen area. I was worried that that short wall would not allow the sound to bounce. Would I be better off with another soundbar that uses anothe system to create fake surround? We have a Phillips TV and it looks nice, I just don't really want their DVD player

#4 ·
Macondawg,

I'll start off by saying I really don't know too much about this 1 speaker surround stuff, though it does look like it might need more to bounce off of than your room allows. Still, check out Yamaha's website or better yet, contact Yamaha and explain the situation. See if they can give you advice. I'll have to admit, 1 speaker and a sub is as uncluttered as you can get for surround, and it sounds intriguing.

One other thought that I'm sure you've thought of already but I'll say it anyway...have you considered getting a good 2.1 setup instead? I don't know if "the boss" (wife?) is against having two good front speakers (wall mounted, bookshelf, even floorstanding) and a sub. With no long speaker wire runs, the front speakers can be wired pretty discreetly. IMO, this would sound much better for music than a Soundbar, and movies won't sound half bad either. Surrounds do enhance movie viewing, but if I had to have either a subwoofer OR surrounds (or course I'd rather have both if I could), I'd choose the sub. If you start off with two good speakers and a sub, you might be surprised how good it sounds. It also gives you a good foundation to build on if "the boss" decides to relax some of the restrictions
. Just my 2 cents. Hope things can work out well for you! Best of luck.

Stephen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.