The Masters in 3D on Comcast, Cox, Cablevision, TWC; Shaw Cable & Bell TV in Canada - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 121 Old 04-18-2010, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

For sports, it's not about pop out, so you may be disappointed.

The other day at NAB I was able to tour a 3D truck that was part of the Sony exhibit. They were running tapes of The Masters in 3D, and they were using live cameras on a set to show how 3D works in the truck. There is a new crew position in the truck for a person called a "Stereographer." That's the guy that decides at what point the convergence is set for each camera. They can dial in the convergence to where close objects do extrude from the screen, or they can have the entire image appear to be from the plane of the screen and further back. It was really interesting. The guy doing the demo was looking at a monitor combining the differential luminance levels from what both eyes would see. He had done it enough to where he could see the offset on the luminance signals and make adjustments without even wearing glasses. The live demo had two models playing golf on a miniature golf set. Here's my observation about what makes good 3D. They had a golf bag in the foreground with the models slightly further back. If they dialed the whole scene to extrude from the screen, it made the models seem really small looking---like tiny little people. If only the golf bag was extruding from the screen, it actually seemed more natural, since it was bigger in size and the girls further away looked normal. And of course they could put the golf bag on the plane with the TV screen and the whole scene was pushed further back--kind of like 2D, but with a whole lot of depth(like Avatar). Anyway, the bottom line is that all 3D sports won't be equal. Some will extrude from the screen and some won't, depending on how it's originated from the truck. I also played with the Panasonic pro-sumer camera and it also had a convergence adjustment dial. Again, what worked best for me was when the camera was set to a wide shot with an object close to the camera. They had a paint shop set with a guy behind a desk painting with cans of paint front of him, and behind him was a ladder, and behind the ladder were shelves of paint. You could set the convergence to put the whole scene in front of the screen, but again, it made the guy look unnaturally tiny. You could put just the closer cans of paint to appear in front of the screen, and it looked more natural with everything else falling deeper into the background. And just like the golf set, you could dial the whole scene to appear just deeper into the TV. It was a whole lot of fun to play with the Panasonic camera. If I had an extra $21,000, I would have put in a pre-order in for one in a heartbeat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page