Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I'm interested in how poorly BD catalog has sold and now how will BD 3D catalog sell ?

I guess there will be 2D on the disc ?

Art

3D BD catalog IMO will sell very well. The films to be offerred have never been available to consumers as 3D versions other than in Anaglyph if ever offered.

Not like the case of just adding resolution and HD audio versus the existing DVD version.

2D is already on the 3D BD with AVC-MVC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

3D BD catalog IMO will sell very well. The films to be offerred have never been available to consumers as 3D versions other than in Anaglyph if ever offered.

Not like the case of just adding resolution and HD audio versus the existing DVD version.

2D is already on the 3D BD with AVC-MVC

Quote:

What would be the reason to include a 2D BD version of a 3D BD movie? Not necessary - already on the 3D BD with the AVC-MVC codec.

Ah ok so you can watch the movie without having to wear the glasses?

Frank

post #63 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

3D BD catalog IMO will sell very well...

In fact, a 3D catalog title might sell even better than it would in 2D.
post #64 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Absolutely. What person who buys a 3D TV isn't going to want to watch those classic movies in high quality 3D? If they're smart, they're working feverishly on preparing those old 3D titles for release. Especially since there is such a dearth of 3D titles available now.

Joe Clark

post #65 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Sure - on a HDTV with a legacy BD player.
post #66 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sure. You see the left eye view of the 3D image - the right eye image is discarded during 2D playback. As I said, people will find themselves in this unenviable position when they don't have enough 3D glasses to go around.

Joe Clark

post #67 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

that's good to know. Thanks!

Frank

post #68 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Or a 3D HDTV with a 3D Blu-ray player, if you need to defeat the 3D, for whatever reason.

Joe Clark

post #69 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Or a 3D HDTV with a 3D Blu-ray player, if you need to defeat the 3D, for whatever reason.

I'm hoping my players will get the 3D update.

Frank

post #70 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm hoping my players will get the 3D update.

The PS3 will - but no other BD player, except the new Sony S470 and S570 as they are 3D ready players.
post #71 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Lee,
Might I suggest that the list of 3DBD titles in the first post be made into a separate sticky thread and updated as new information becomes available?
post #72 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post

Lee,
Might I suggest that the list of 3DBD titles in the first post be made into a separate sticky thread and updated as new information becomes available?

Until they start announcing other titles on a regular basis, I don't see the need.

This thread will be added to on at least a weekly basis so it won't fall off the front page of this forum.
post #73 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Until they start announcing other titles on a regular basis, I don't see the need.

This thread will be added to on at least a weekly basis so it won't fall off the front page of this forum.

Suit yourself.

The need, as I see it, would be to give folks an easy to locate target to check for 3DBD updates without having to remember that the information is buried at the very beginning of this thread and then try to find it.

It also seems to me that 3DBD updates will occur more frequently than "3D Myth" updates, which is a sticky.
post #74 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Suit yourself.

The need, as I see it, would be to give folks an easy to locate target to check for 3DBD updates without having to remember that the information is buried at the very beginning of this thread and then try to find it.

As of today, there have been no additional announcements on 3D BDs and none are availble for purchase to the general public. So what good is a sticky with the same old info?

Quote:

It also seems to me that 3DBD updates will occur more frequently than "3D Myth" updates, which is a sticky.

That thread is IMO, a unique thread. It offers informative info on 3D. It was created to help people seperate fact from fiction when it comes to "most things" 3D.

And yes, updates will be much slower now that I have covered most of the myths concerning 3D and 3D equipment. But that is not to say there won't be any additional ones added.

Working on one now BTW.
post #75 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Suit yourself.

I second this.

Even if you don't "sticky" it, a separate thread titled "3DBD releases" or something to that effect would be MUCH more convenient/helpful than having it as part of this thread.
post #76 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deArgila View Post

I second this.

Even if you don't "sticky" it, a separate thread titled "3DBD releases" or something to that effect would be MUCH more convenient/helpful than having it as part of this thread.

LOL - so what are you going to put in the thread?

Monsters vs. Aliens

That's it! That is the ONLY 3D BD that anyone has seen. And you can't just walk into a BB or go on Amazon and buy it.

IMO - too early to have a sticky on a non-existant product.
post #77 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

LOL - so what are you going to put in the thread?

Monsters vs. Aliens

That's it! That is the ONLY 3D BD that anyone has seen. And you can't just walk into a BB or go on Amazon and buy it.

IMO - too early to have a sticky on a non-existant product.

Using your logic, it's too early to have this thread - or even this section of the forum. Yet, here they are. And here we are talking about it.

A thread that clearly and conveniently outlines the 3DBD options and announcements (or lack thereof) would be beneficial for people like me who want to know this information - which is available, but buried in another thread (i.e., this one).

It's taken you more time and effort to ridicule our requests than it would have been to create said thread.
post #78 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The PS3 will - but no other BD player, except the new Sony S470 and S570 as they are 3D ready players.

Damn! I'm just going to have to wait awhile.

Frank

post #79 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Using your logic, it's too early to have this thread - or even this section of the forum. Yet, here they are. And here we are talking about it.

A thread that clearly and conveniently outlines the 3DBD options and announcements (or lack thereof) would be beneficial for people like me who want to know this information - which is available, but buried in another thread (i.e., this one).

It's taken you more time and effort to ridicule our requests than it would have been to create said thread.

There are NO 3D BD options. There is a single title that is not for sale. The other 7 announced titles - 6 are also not for sale.

What am I going to put in the thread?

"Here are 7 announced titles - you won't be able to buy 6 of them and the 7th is going to be released in Q4" ???
post #80 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

I started this thread because we are seeing something that is truly puzzling. The CEMs are releasing 3D BD players but the studios are not releasing 3D BD movies. That didn't happen when LD was launched, nor DVD, nor HD DVD nor BD.

What good is a 3D BD player if there is no content? And there is NO content.
post #81 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There are NO 3D BD options. There is a single title that is not for sale. The other 7 announced titles - 6 are also not for sale.

"Here are 7 announced titles - you won't be able to buy 6 of them and the 7th is going to be released in Q4" ???

Yes.

Actually, if you simply copied the information you have listed in the first post of this thread without the editorial commentary (which is, of course, appropriate for the purposes of this thread but not that one), that would suffice.

Since you obviously don't see the need for such a thing, allow me to try to make a case for you:

1. Bluray 3D players and 3D-HDTV's are available right now, and more are scheduled to be released shortly. There are TV ads and other marketing directed at promoting this technology, and there is an associated interest.

2. Since these items are being sold in electronic stores RIGHT NOW, there is an implication that movie titles are available - or at least soon will be.

3. However, as you have pointed out, there is (very) limited content to play on these new items and, furthermore, what content is available (or has been announced to be) appears to be exclusively tethered to these new hardware items.

4. This information IN AND OF ITSELF is worthy of a sticky, as it constitutes a very unusual situation, and should be conveniently accessible to anyone interested in 3D-HDTV and/or 3DBD technology (i.e., the people searching this forum).

5. Furthermore, since these titles are being tethered exclusively to certain hardware, it could influence purchasing decisions related to obtaining 3D technology in the home. For instance, I might be more likely to purchase a Samsung product (and maybe get MvA and Shrek 1-4) than a Panasonic (and get Ice Age and Coraline). Or, I might decide to wait on the Samsung until Shrek 1-4 is available as opposed to getting MvA now.

6. You're taking the time and effort to provide weekly "release updates" on this thread, when they would be more fitting on a thread dedicated to release updates (even if there are none).

7. So, since you thought it was worthwhile to make a thread that, among other things, (a) lists 3DBD titles that are available or have been annonced and (b) provides weekly updates, whether or not there are any - why not just have a thread dedicated to that purpose, particularly when a few people have specifically requested it?
post #82 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes.

Actually, if you simply copied the information you have listed in the first post of this thread without the editorial commentary (which is, of course, appropriate for the purposes of this thread but not that one), that would suffice.

Since you obviously don't see the need for such a thing, allow me to try to make a case for you:

1. Bluray 3D players and 3D-HDTV's are available right now, and more are scheduled to be released shortly. There are TV ads and other marketing directed at promoting this technology, and there is an associated interest.

2. Since these items are being sold in electronic stores RIGHT NOW, there is an implication that movie titles are available - or at least soon will be.

3. However, as you have pointed out, there is (very) limited content to play on these new items and, furthermore, what content is available (or has been announced to be) appears to be exclusively tethered to these new hardware items.

4. This information IN AND OF ITSELF is worthy of a sticky, as it constitutes a very unusual situation, and should be conveniently accessible to anyone interested in 3D-HDTV and/or 3DBD technology (i.e., the people searching this forum).

5. Furthermore, since these titles are being tethered exclusively to certain hardware, it could influence purchasing decisions related to obtaining 3D technology in the home. For instance, I might be more likely to purchase a Samsung product (and maybe get MvA and Shrek 1-4) than a Panasonic (and get Ice Age and Coraline). Or, I might decide to wait on the Samsung until Shrek 1-4 is available as opposed to getting MvA now.

6. You're taking the time and effort to provide weekly "release updates" on this thread, when they would be more fitting on a thread dedicated to release updates (even if there are none).

7. So, since you thought it was worthwhile to make a thread that, among other things, (a) lists 3DBD titles that are available or have been annonced and (b) provides weekly updates, whether or not there are any - why not just have a thread dedicated to that purpose, particularly when a few people have specifically requested it?

I believe I have shown a desire to start threads that have been requested by me (and others) to become sticky threads as their purpose is to provide informative infomation to help either understand 3D (my 3D Myths thread and the 3D Basic & FAQ thread - started by someone else and added to by me) and also to assist in buying decisions on equipment like 3DTVs and 3D BD players.

There is almost no information concerning 3D BDs at this time. We have a simple fact; Buy the 3D starter kit from Samsung and you get th 3D BD Monsters vs Aliens. No other way to acquire it and yes - I am not including those which are being sold on Ebay.

The Panasonic promotion is not throughly understood. It looks like just the NYC store that sold the first Panasonic 3DTV/3D BD bundle was offerring a mail in of Ice Age 3 3D BD. And we don't even know if Coraline was a new 3D BD pressing or the existing Anaglyph 3D BD.

I have recently heard a rumor that when the DMP-BDT350 is released this month, instead of including the 3D BD demo disc, which is included in the BDT300, it will include Ice Age 3, the 3D BD instead. But I can get no verification of this.

SHREK 4 isn't scheduled to be released in theaters until May 21st. So all we have is a statement that Samsung will get exclusive rights to the 2D to 3D re-rendered SHREK 1, 2 and 3 3D BD movies for one year but there is no release information.

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs is a Sony title. They have said (at CES) they will be using it to sell Sony 3DTV's which aren't supposed to arrive until June 10th.

And last is the Disney 3D BD mentioned at CES which will be A Christmas Carol but will not be released until Q4. No other info.

The thread would be nothing more than a rumor thread IMO.

I would hope that anyone who is curious about 3D BD, would look over the three different 3D forums to glean information about what is available. So here is what I am going to do . . .

I am going to add a Hyperlink to my BUYERS GUIDE: 3D BD Players which will link to this thread so anyone who is looking at 3D BD players can see . . .

What is going on with 3D BD?
post #83 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Would movies shot with digital cameras such as Star Wars Episode 2 and 3 better lend themselves to 2D-3D conversion. I am hoping that given the right amount of time, we can look forward to amazing 3D bluray experiences at home from existing catalog movies converted to 3D as well as newer movies shot with 3D cameras.

After seeing the Panasonic and Samsung displays, I am totally sold on getting a 3D tv for movies and gaming.

The Panasonic demo had a clip of a racing game, looks like Ridge Racer in 3D and it was unbelievable. I hear the Sony demo of Motorstorm and Wipeout also looked fantastic.

Monsters vs Aliens on the Samsung looked better than in the the theater, and looking at the grand canyon on the Panasonic felt like looking out of a window, at one point the water from the rapids even splashes into your glasses. Amazing.
post #84 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks76 View Post

Would movies shot with digital cameras such as Star Wars Episode 2 and 3 better lend themselves to 2D-3D conversion. I am hoping that given the right amount of time, we can look forward to amazing 3D bluray experiences at home from existing catalog movies converted to 3D as well as newer movies shot with 3D cameras.

Alice in Wonderland was shot with Digital Cameras (Panavision Genisis HD) while Clash Of The Titans was not - shot in Panavision 35mm film format (anamorphic).

There are a number of directors talking about re-releasing their 2D movies converted to 3D. Some are; Star Wars, 300, Titanic and Jurassic Park. They would play in 3D theaters first. Sony did mention/announce at CES that they were thinking of doing a few 2D to 3D conversions for 3D BD. Ghostbusters was mentioned (I think there were 3 titles)

Quote:

After seeing the Panasonic and Samsung displays, I am totally sold on getting a 3D tv for movies and gaming.

The Panasonic demo had a clip of a racing game, looks like Ridge Racer in 3D and it was unbelievable. I hear the Sony demo of Motorstorm and Wipeout also looked fantastic.

Monsters vs Aliens on the Samsung looked better than in the the theater, and looking at the grand canyon on the Panasonic felt like looking out of a window, at one point the water from the rapids even splashes into your glasses. Amazing.

Native 3D will always look better then 2D converted to 3D. Just like native HD always looks better than SD converted to HD.

Gaming may be like 100% CGI "cartoons." Easily re-rendered from 2D to S3D because there are no cameras involved, just computers.
post #85 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I agree with both comments. I'm really leaning toward getting a large plasma display for a secondary room. Long term, nothing beats a big screen, but the sharpness and contrast of the Panasonic plasma make it extremely appealing to me. I really want to see Avatar on a 3D plasma display. I'll have to get really close, but I think the experience will be amazing.

Joe Clark

post #86 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 06:05 PM

I saw both Alice in Wonderland in 3D and Clash of the Titans in 3D. IMO Alice looked 100 times better in 3D than Clash of the Titans did. I'm hoping we won't see many more 2D-3D conversion rush jobs, cause Alice proved to me that 2D-3D can look great if done the right way. I even thought it was shot in native 3D until after seeing the movie and reading the forums.
post #87 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I saw both Alice in Wonderland in 3D and Clash of the Titans in 3D. IMO Alice looked 100 times better in 3D than Clash of the Titans did. I'm hoping we won't see many more 2D-3D conversion rush jobs, cause Alice proved to me that 2D-3D can look great if done the right way. I even thought it was shot in native 3D until after seeing the movie and reading the forums.

It's my understanding that the live action stuff was shot in 2D. The CGI was rendered stereoscopic 3D.

Joe Clark

post #88 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

You know, its really sad that the CEMs/studios decided to go with this exclusive non-sense. As if it wasn't going hard enough to sell 3D to the public, now we have to go muddying the waters. I mean, as if we have content to spare. Its just outrageous. Hopefully there will be no more deals like this otherwise 3D BluRay will surely fail. Seriously, who wants to pay all that kind of money to watch one movie (especially if that one movie isn't even Avatar)?
post #89 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Upcoming titles with there release date. It's a start!

Frank

post #90 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Upcoming titles with there release date. It's a start!

There are NO release dates!
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Blu Ray , Monster House Blu Ray 3d Version , My Bloody Valentine 3d Blu Ray 3d , A Christmas Carol Blu Ray , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Clash Of The Titans Blu Ray , Toy Story 2 Two Disc Special Edition Blu Ray Dvd Combo W Blu Ray Packaging , Toy Story 3 Blu Ray , Toy Story Four Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page