Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

There are NO release dates!

I guess that depends on your definition of a "release date."

To me, Q4 (A Christmas Carol) is a release date, as is June 2010 (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs). In a way, even knowing Avatar 3D won't happen in 2010 is sort of a "release date."

At the very least, it's "release information."

Anyway, I did start a thread that has the information Lee has provided. It's titled "3D Bluray Release Information." I guess we'll see whether or not that proves to be useful - but it's there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 07:54 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

There are NO release dates!

Ok not too worry. I was under the impression there was with all the hype about 3D. I'm sure will see some soon.

Frank

post #93 of 1052 Old 04-07-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by deArgila View Post

I guess that depends on your definition of a "release date."

The same as it has always been - on Tuesday - such and such a date, a title is/will be released for sale to the general public.

I don't know what your definition is but it's been that way for YEARS.

Quote:
To me, Q4 (A Christmas Carol) is a release date, as is June 2010 (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs). In a way, even knowing Avatar 3D won't happen in 2010 is sort of a "release date."

At the very least, it's "release information."

Anyway, I did start a thread that has the information Lee has provided. It's titled "3D Bluray Release Information." I guess we'll see whether or not that proves to be useful - but it's there.

It isn't "release information" - it's PRODUCTION information. A 3D BD title has been/will be PRODUCED - but it is not available for sale to the general public.

And how many times has Sony given "release information" on the Blu-ray Lawrence Of Arabia? OK - where is it?

Other than the one Disney title, I don't see how you can consider any of the other titles being released on whatever date you copied from this thread. They aren't available for sale to the general public.

Saying the Avatar 3D BD will be released sometime in 2011 is about as vague as you can possibly get and IMO, is of no help to anyone.

You have your thread. I will continue to use mine for the Sunday Night Weekly Update and if any new info comes about on 3D BDs.

EDIT:

Case In Point - the new BD format BDXL - 100 to 125GB of data using 4 layers - STRICTLY a new BD-R/RE format designed for commerical use like Enterprise Systems and Medical Imaging - for archiving purposes.

The amount of misinformation that is going on in threads is mind blowing. People believe this is a new BD-ROM format for movies and TV shows and such. They don't understand what they are reading. And it becomes the game of "telephone" all over the forums. All they see is; "new BD = 100GB to 125GB."

THIS is AVScience. It has to be the one place that people can turn to, to get the facts and truth of the matter.
post #94 of 1052 Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks76 View Post

Would movies shot with digital cameras such as Star Wars Episode 2 and 3 better lend themselves to 2D-3D conversion. I am hoping that given the right amount of time, we can look forward to amazing 3D bluray experiences at home from existing catalog movies converted to 3D as well as newer movies shot with 3D cameras.

After seeing the Panasonic and Samsung displays, I am totally sold on getting a 3D tv for movies and gaming.

The Panasonic demo had a clip of a racing game, looks like Ridge Racer in 3D and it was unbelievable. I hear the Sony demo of Motorstorm and Wipeout also looked fantastic.

Monsters vs Aliens on the Samsung looked better than in the the theater, and looking at the grand canyon on the Panasonic felt like looking out of a window, at one point the water from the rapids even splashes into your glasses. Amazing.

For game demos, Sony's 3D game clip was much better than that one racing game Panasonic showed. It was more immersive, colorful and had a more 3D look and feel.
post #95 of 1052 Old 04-08-2010, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Updated the OP with additional info
post #96 of 1052 Old 04-09-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks76 View Post

Would movies shot with digital cameras such as Star Wars Episode 2 and 3 better lend themselves to 2D-3D conversion. I am hoping that given the right amount of time, we can look forward to amazing 3D bluray experiences at home from existing catalog movies converted to 3D as well as newer movies shot with 3D cameras.

After seeing the Panasonic and Samsung displays, I am totally sold on getting a 3D tv for movies and gaming.

The Panasonic demo had a clip of a racing game, looks like Ridge Racer in 3D and it was unbelievable. I hear the Sony demo of Motorstorm and Wipeout also looked fantastic.

Monsters vs Aliens on the Samsung looked better than in the the theater, and looking at the grand canyon on the Panasonic felt like looking out of a window, at one point the water from the rapids even splashes into your glasses. Amazing.

I've already watched "Star Wars" in 3D on my 2D to 3D converting 3D TV. It was great. This was from the DVD. I haven't checked out my HD recordings of them yet.
post #97 of 1052 Old 04-11-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

The Sunday Night Report on; "the state of 3D BD" . . .

1. Sony announced a "best of" highlights 3D BD for their World Cup FiFA broadcasts which start June 11th, sometime in 2010

2. Still no title(s) for sale

3. Stil no manuals (online PDFs) for Panasonic 3DTV or 3D BD player
post #98 of 1052 Old 04-14-2010, 04:39 AM

There are some chance to see the BD-3D of Aliens of the Deep, Ghosts of the Abyss and others documentaries?
post #99 of 1052 Old 04-14-2010, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Source.

Ordering info.
post #100 of 1052 Old 04-14-2010, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post

Source.

Ordering info.

On the amazon page, the description is not quite correct. It says "3D" in the amazon title, but the image of the cover has no mention of 3D, nor has it the 3D Blu-ray logo.
post #101 of 1052 Old 04-14-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 606
I'd wonder how long the 3-D sets we're seeing have been in R&D. They don't just crank out new tech overnight. Predicting what the public will want or might want pre-dates the success of Avatar. Thus, source material would seem to be a natural. However, perhaps the studios are reluctant to spend the money on the media in support of the new tech. Just a thought.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #102 of 1052 Old 04-14-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I bet its been a long time, in fact Panasonic has been showing 3D demos on its TVs for about a year and a half.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #103 of 1052 Old 04-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post

On the amazon page, the description is not quite correct. It says "3D" in the amazon title, but the image of the cover has no mention of 3D, nor has it the 3D Blu-ray logo.

It's the same cover art as the 2D version -- probably just an early prototype which may change. There are separate listings for the 2D and 3D versions.
post #104 of 1052 Old 04-14-2010, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As the GMT turns, Sony's divisions are revealing their 3D plans for the rest of the year and the latest is its UK branch. The HX803 3D-ready model is first out the door in June, with LX903 and HX903 models arriving shortly afterward packing specs identical to their US cousins,

Quote:

Movie heads get Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Deep Sea Blu-ray 3D discs bundled with unspecified "selected products," with the former going on sale by itself June 14. Check out all the details in the press release below or just refresh the Sony UK store until that preorder button shows up and we find out just how many pounds are needed to bring one home.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/14/s...get-early-ado/

Deep Sea - IMAX 3D doc

Runtime:41 min

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424942/
post #105 of 1052 Old 04-15-2010, 01:25 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Have to admit I was very suprised with this new 3D I finally got to see How to train your dragon in 3D. Not bad at all. I did find eithier side of the screen blurry at times. I can see what the hype is about and the wearing glasses issue is no issue at all. Mind a movie a night ( which I do in the Ht ) wouldn't hurt. Will I upgrade to 3 D? Not yet and if I did it will be definitley in the HT room.

Frank

post #106 of 1052 Old 04-16-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Alice in Wonderland to hit Blu-ray on June 1st, but not in 3D

Quote:

Okay now, this is just getting ridiculous -- we just can't figure out what the studios are doing, and if they do have a plan it is about time they share it, but just like when Blu-ray first came out, the latest new format isn't getting releases day and date with other formats.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/04/16/al...but-not-in-3d/
post #107 of 1052 Old 04-16-2010, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

NAB 2010: DreamWorks Announce the 3D Conversion of Shrek Franchise

Quote:

DreamWorks Animation CEO, Jeffrey Katzenberg, announced during this weeks NAB Show in Las Vegas that the studio plans to convert the first three installments of its Shrek franchise into a 3D Blu-ray release.

The CEO said that, "our movies exist in digital files to begin with. To go back and rebuild to a quality 3D experience is not inexpensive, but we are about to achieve a pretty high quality result.” According to reports, it could cost DreamWorks around $20 million per film to convert into 3D and will take around 18 months for the original trilogy to be fully converted and available in Blu-ray 3D.

http://www.hdguru3d.com/index.php?op...news&Itemid=59
post #108 of 1052 Old 04-16-2010, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Sony Announces 3D Games, but no 3D Blu-ray for PS3

Quote:

Sony recently revealed its initial line-up of 3D games that will be available to gamers on the Playstation 3 this June, when the games console receives its 3D firmware update. The confirmed 3D PS3 games are; Wipeout HD, PAIN, Super Stardust HD and Motorstorm Pacific Rift. The listed games are all reported to be released through the Playstation Network the same day that the Sony Bravia LED LCD HX803 range hits the consumer market.

According to reports, the firmware update which will bring 3D gaming to the popular games console will not update the technology enough to offer 3D Blu-ray support. However another firmware update can be expected later this year, that will bring 3D Blu-ray to the Playstation 3.

http://www.hdguru3d.com/index.php?op...news&Itemid=59
post #109 of 1052 Old 04-16-2010, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Sony Announces 3D Games, but no 3D Blu-ray for PS3

Sony said all along that the update for playing 3D BD would come after the one for 3D games. So that headline is a little difficult to parse.

Greg Lee
post #110 of 1052 Old 04-18-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

1. Sony announced their plans for Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs and Deep Sea as inclusions when you buy one of their 3DTV's in June. Cloudy may be the first 3D BD sold to the public though the details are vague at best.

2. Dreamworks Animation has announced it will take about 18 months to re-render the first three Shrek movies in S3D for 3D BD

3. Mitsubishiwill be selling a 3D Starter Kit that includes Disney's 3D Showcase 3D BD sometime over the summer

4. Still no title(s) for sale

5. Stil no manuals (online PDFs) for Panasonic 3DTV or 3D BD player
post #111 of 1052 Old 04-25-2010, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

1. No 3D BD titles for sale

2. No new announced 3D BD titles

3. We finally have the PDF manuals for Panasonic 3D products
post #112 of 1052 Old 04-26-2010, 06:33 AM

I believe what we're seeing here, specifically in reference to 3D Bluray releases, is a direct result of the movie studio/publishers not wanting to outlay cash that will, in all likelyhood, not be recooped in the next 12-24 months.

Per Lee's excerpt: "According to reports, it could cost DreamWorks around $20 million per film to convert into 3D and will take around 18 months for the original trilogy to be fully converted and available in Blu-ray 3D."

So, at 20 Mil per film, even if the movies are sold for 50 dollars each (which I wouldn't pay...), it would require 400,000 copies of the 3D bluray to be shifted to break even on the venture. This speaks nothing of the cost of stamping discs, packaging, distribution and advertising. How many 3D TVs will be in the homes of consumers this year? What do you think the attachment rate will be for 3D blurays? What decision would you make as a movie studio exec?

I would think that the studios would push to first release these films to theaters to recoop some of their costs. This would further delay a release of converted 3D films to bluray, beyond the stated 18 months time it takes to covert it in the first place.

I think we all need to keep in mind that the world is (hopefully) recovering from a MAJOR economic downturn. Movie studios and publishers are in business to make money and, like many other businesses right now, are probably more conservative than they've been in recent memory. That means that emerging markets like 3D bluray will be slow to receive funding. Specifically, SLOWER than what we saw with the adoption of HD, during the 2003-2007 timeframe, when banks weren't failing left and right and investment portfolios were at all-time highs.

I believe that we'll see more content during the Holiday season and into 2011, but even then it will come slower than we all hope for. Until then, expect your 3D television to be screening WAY more 2D content than 3D.

By the way, I TOTALLY want a Panny 65" VT25 and am excited about the technology and content as many of you are! I just thought I'd play contrarian to liven up the discussion.
post #113 of 1052 Old 04-26-2010, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinster View Post

I believe what we're seeing here, specifically in reference to 3D Bluray releases, is a direct result of the movie studio/publishers not wanting to outlay cash that will, in all likelyhood, not be recooped in the next 12-24 months.

Per Lee's excerpt: "According to reports, it could cost DreamWorks around $20 million per film to convert into 3D and will take around 18 months for the original trilogy to be fully converted and available in Blu-ray 3D."

So, at 20 Mil per film, even if the movies are sold for 50 dollars each (which I wouldn't pay...), it would require 400,000 copies of the 3D bluray to be shifted to break even on the venture. This speaks nothing of the cost of stamping discs, packaging, distribution and advertising. How many 3D TVs will be in the homes of consumers this year? What do you think the attachment rate will be for 3D blurays? What decision would you make as a movie studio exec?

I would think that the studios would push to first release these films to theaters to recoop some of their costs. This would further delay a release of converted 3D films to bluray, beyond the stated 18 months time it takes to covert it in the first place.

I think we all need to keep in mind that the world is (hopefully) recovering from a MAJOR economic downturn. Movie studios and publishers are in business to make money and, like many other businesses right now, are probably more conservative than they've been in recent memory. That means that emerging markets like 3D bluray will be slow to receive funding. Specifically, SLOWER than what we saw with the adoption of HD, during the 2003-2007 timeframe, when banks weren't failing left and right and investment portfolios were at all-time highs.

I believe that we'll see more content during the Holiday season and into 2011, but even then it will come slower than we all hope for. Until then, expect your 3D television to be screening WAY more 2D content than 3D.

By the way, I TOTALLY want a Panny 65" VT25 and am excited about the technology and content as many of you are! I just thought I'd play contrarian to liven up the discussion.

That $20M is to convert 2D CGI to 3D CGI per film. There are hundreds of 3D films that exist in Hollwood's film library that would cost less than 1/10 of that figure to release on 3D BD. The only real difference between a 3D film and a 2D film is the video encoding and the authoring. Everything else is the same.
post #114 of 1052 Old 04-26-2010, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

So someone told me (who said not to mention them by name) that the hold up is in authoring. Evidently there are only a few people and tools to author a 3D Blu-ray and there is simply a bottle neck. I'm told everyone is excited about 3D Blu-ray, but there isn't any way to make it to market as fast as they'd want to.

What was also interesting is that since digital cinema uses color space CIE XYZ and HD is ITU 709, the studios are re-rendering the animated features for 3D Blu-ray.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #115 of 1052 Old 04-26-2010, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

So someone told me (who said not to mention them by name) that the hold up is in authoring. Evidently there are only a few people and tools to author a 3D Blu-ray and there is simply a bottle neck. I'm told everyone is excited about 3D Blu-ray, but there isn't any way to make it to market as fast as they'd want to.

What was also interesting is that since digital cinema uses color space CIE XYZ and HD is ITU 709, the studios are re-rendering the animated features for 3D Blu-ray.

Technicolor is all set for 3D BD:

http://local.technicolor.com/GlobalE...s/default.aspx
post #116 of 1052 Old 04-26-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, and evidently they are the only ones.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #117 of 1052 Old 04-26-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

1. Sony announced their plans for Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs and Deep Sea as inclusions when you buy one of their 3DTV's in June. Cloudy may be the first 3D BD sold to the public though the details are vague at best.

2. Dreamworks Animation has announced it will take about 18 months to re-render the first three Shrek movies in S3D for 3D BD

3. Mitsubishiwill be selling a 3D Starter Kit that includes Disney's 3D Showcase 3D BD sometime over the summer

4. Still no title(s) for sale

5. Stil no manuals (online PDFs) for Panasonic 3DTV or 3D BD player

The manual was made available several days ago for the Panasonic 3D BD player - HERE. One small victory.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #118 of 1052 Old 04-29-2010, 06:35 PM

this behavior by the studios is perfect excuses for torrent and usenet rips of the hardware specific titles. ill trade my mva for your ice age 3.. i wonder if 3d BR will work once ripped to mkv/avi? I would much rather buy the titles but this is forcing peoples hands?! And if they have the capability to make them exclusively for the companies WTF wont they sell them individually even if it is a month after initial packaged deal is released?
post #119 of 1052 Old 05-02-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

post #120 of 1052 Old 05-09-2010, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Blu Ray , Monster House Blu Ray 3d Version , My Bloody Valentine 3d Blu Ray 3d , A Christmas Carol Blu Ray , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Clash Of The Titans Blu Ray , Toy Story 2 Two Disc Special Edition Blu Ray Dvd Combo W Blu Ray Packaging , Toy Story 3 Blu Ray , Toy Story Four Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy
Gear in this thread - Toy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page