post #181 of 1052 Old 06-10-2010, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post

I found this on Amazon. National Geographic: Sea Monsters - A Prehistoric Adventure (In 3-D) [Blu-ray]

My question is, Im sure that this is not "real 3D", but question... How does one know if it is "real full 1080p hd without those funny looking red and blue paper glassses?

Is there a certain thing to look for on the blu ray case, blu ray back...? Will there be a mandatory thing blu ray has to put on the front of the case to show its the real 3D instead of the red and blue glasses?

Sorry guys if this was asked already, but could not find it in this thread.

The Sea Monsters is the cardboard coloured glasses type.

I think to see if it's the new 3D you need to look for the "Blu-ray 3D" logo like is on the front of the "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" 3D Blu-ray (and also the "Monster House 3D Blu-ray at amazon uk) - though I don't know if that logo is mandatory for the 3D titles in the new format.

Also, any where the release date of the Blu-ray was before this year (like the Sea Monsters one) will all be cardboard glasses versions - not the new type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1052 Old 06-11-2010, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Here is the current list of 3D BDs that have been announced/available:

Monsters vs. Aliens - exclusive - unknown how long

Ice Age 3 - exclusive - offer ends in July

Coraline - exclusive - offer ends in July

Avatar - exclusive for Q4 (??) Available sometime in 2011 at retail

A Christmas Carol - 11/22/10 release date

Monster House - release date unknown but will be a retail title

Open Season - release date unknown but will be a retail title

Shrek 1 - 4 - exclusive for 1 year - unknown from when

Resident Evil - Afterlife - release date will be D/D with title

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs - 6/22/10 release date

Deep Sea - exclusive - unknown how long.
post #183 of 1052 Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
You can skip the Sea Monsters Blu-ray. I like 3D so much that I bought it some time ago, even though I knew it was anaglyph. It has to be worst 3D experience I've ever had. I couldn't watch it for more than a few minutes. Awful.

Joe Clark

post #184 of 1052 Old 06-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Monsters vs. Aliens
Ice Age 3
Coraline
A Christmas Carol
Monster House
Open Season
Shrek 1 - 4
Resident Evil - Afterlife
Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs
Deep Sea

Lee any chance of breaking out some additional info on the releases? Perhaps release dates or timeframe, if its exclusive, how long exclusive, etc...

The list is looking better, but obviously the cold reality is that if someone runs to Best Buy and wants to bring home a movie today they'll still be limited to one movie in a $349 glasses bundle.

Looking good Lee!
post #185 of 1052 Old 06-11-2010, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnerd View Post

Lee any chance of breaking out some additional info on the releases? Perhaps release dates or timeframe, if its exclusive, how long exclusive, etc...

The list is looking better, but obviously the cold reality is that if someone runs to Best Buy and wants to bring home a movie today they'll still be limited to one movie in a $349 glasses bundle.

Updated the list with the info I have.
post #186 of 1052 Old 06-11-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
There is also IMAX: Grand Canyon Adventure

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003...ef=oss_product
post #187 of 1052 Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 AM

Forgive my ignorance but with all the "exclusive bundling" such as Samsung+MonsterVsAlients, Panasonic+Avatar, or Sony+CloudyMeatBalls...

that just means the channel in which you can get the movie for now right? It does not limit us to the manufacturer hardware in order to watch it right? So if I buy the bundle for Samsung and my friend buys the bundle for Panasonic... we can switch movies and it will still work in both sets of hardware right?
post #188 of 1052 Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepijeff View Post

Forgive my ignorance but with all the "exclusive bundling" such as Samsung+MonsterVsAlients, Panasonic+Avatar, or Sony+CloudyMeatBalls...

that just means the channel in which you can get the movie for now right? It does not limit us to the manufacturer hardware in order to watch it right? So if I buy the bundle for Samsung and my friend buys the bundle for Panasonic... we can switch movies and it will still work in both sets of hardware right?

Yes

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #189 of 1052 Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

It looks like CLASH OF THE TITANS will be released on 3D BD October 6th in Japan:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%BF%E3...997005&sr=1-10
post #190 of 1052 Old 07-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It looks like CLASH OF THE TITANS will be released on 3D BD October 6th in Japan:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%BF%E3...997005&sr=1-10

post #191 of 1052 Old 07-05-2010, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Monsters vs. Aliens - exclusive - unknown how long

Ice Age 3 - exclusive - offer ends in July

Coraline - exclusive - offer ends in July

Avatar - exclusive for Q4 (??) Available sometime in 2011 at retail

A Christmas Carol - 11/22/10 release date

Monster House - release date unknown but will be a retail title

Open Season - release date unknown but will be a retail title

Shrek 1 - 4 - exclusive for 1 year - unknown from when

Resident Evil - Afterlife - release date will be D/D with title

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs - 6/22/10 release date

Deep Sea - exclusive - unknown how long.

This is great news. I cant wait for resident evil 3D. I know that they are actually using a 3D cameras, instead of 2D to 3D conversion. The studio that is involved with Transformers 3 is trying to convince Micheal Bay, the director, to do a 2D to 3D converion. But even Micheal Bay says, 2D to 3D is a generic knock off. Micheal Bay did say the "jury is still out", so I guess wait and see.
post #192 of 1052 Old 07-06-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

This is great news. I cant wait for resident evil 3D. I know that they are actually using a 3D cameras, instead of 2D to 3D conversion. The studio that is involved with Transformers 3 is trying to convince Micheal Bay, the director, to do a 2D to 3D converion. But even Micheal Bay says, 2D to 3D is a generic knock off. Micheal Bay did say the "jury is still out", so I guess wait and see.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...=18193&count=0

MarketSaw is reporting that "Transformers 3" will not only be in 3D, but is actually being shot with 3D cameras. This confirmation comes from Vince Pace, one of the camera's creators. He said: "Transformers has also signed on to shoot 3D throughout the film."

Read more: http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...#ixzz0suVuZARf
post #193 of 1052 Old 07-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...=18193&count=0

MarketSaw is reporting that "Transformers 3" will not only be in 3D, but is actually being shot with 3D cameras. This confirmation comes from Vince Pace, one of the camera's creators. He said: "Transformers has also signed on to shoot 3D throughout the film."

Read more: http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...#ixzz0suVuZARf

Thank you so very much whitetrash66. This is just great news. One of my favorite franchises is being shot in 3D.

One question though... If transformers does eventually come out in 3D blu ray, would I be able to switch from 3D to 2D, if I decided I wanted to watch 2D instead... Or would I have to get 2 blu rays instead - one 3D transformers blu ray and one 2D transformers blu ray
post #194 of 1052 Old 07-06-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Thank you so very much whitetrash66. This is just great news. One of my favorite franchises is being shot in 3D.

One question though... If transformers does eventually come out in 3D blu ray, would I be able to switch from 3D to 2D, if I decided I wanted to watch 2D instead... Or would I have to get 2 blu rays instead - one 3D transformers blu ray and one 2D transformers blu ray

3D blu ray discs are backward compatible with regular blu ray players. WHich is why I feel this 3D launch has been royally screwed up by these silly bundles. The studios should be releasing ONE BD version to cover everything. Specifically, to illustrate my idea, is that in the case of AVATAR, Fox should have released one 3D blu ray package and make it widely available. Since it would be playable on regular players, it won't cause any issues NOT to release a regular 2D version. If the studios did this, the only thing really to do is to educate the consumer that the 3D discs work on older equipment via 2D playback.

post #195 of 1052 Old 07-07-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
FOX very delibertly released a 2D only blue-ray and a 2D DVD version this spring to maximize the revenue they get from the Movie. They plan on a second 3D theatre run before the holidays and plan to release the 3D blu-ray version early next year.
post #196 of 1052 Old 07-07-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

FOX very delibertly released a 2D only blue-ray and a 2D DVD version this spring to maximize the revenue they get from the Movie. They plan on a second 3D theatre run before the holidays and plan to release the 3D blu-ray version early next year.

Interesting, I did not know about another theatrical run. I avoid releases that will have an obvious double dip, so I have held off on buying (or even renting) Avatar on blu.

post #197 of 1052 Old 07-07-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez View Post

Interesting, I did not know about another theatrical run. I avoid releases that will have an obvious double dip, so I have held off on buying (or even renting) Avatar on blu.

"Avatar" To Head Back To Theaters With Extended Version, Sequels

Quote:

Los Angeles, CA, United States (AHN) - While plenty will be sure to pick up their copy of Avatar on DVD and Blu-ray when it hits stores this week, it won't be the last fans will see of Avatar in the theater. Director James Cameron has not only confirmed a theatrical re-release, but also gave a little insight on the sequels.

Cameron told the Los Angeles Times that the film is being extended by six minutes and heading back to theaters in 3-D. We're working on finishing an additional six minutes of the film which includes a lot of Weta work for a theatrical re-release in August. A DVD and Blu-ray edition of the extended version is likely to hit stores in time for Christmas.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7018464880
post #198 of 1052 Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I'm not going back to the theater for just an extra 6 minutes.
post #199 of 1052 Old 07-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez View Post

George Lucas ha been doing that crap for years with Star Wars and has pulled money every time.
post #200 of 1052 Old 07-07-2010, 02:08 PM

Avatar being released on BR and DVD is a good example of what has been going on for a long, long, LONG time. I cant even begin to name how many Special, Edition, Extended Edition, Unrated Edition, Super-Duper Snazzy Edition movies come out!

I can bet that nearly every single popular movie has atleast 1-3 versions out. Avatar is one of the most notable ones since everyone is name-dropping the title.

They will going be re-releasing Avatar in 3D again later this year with addtional footage to make an "extended edition". They will then release that extended edition on DVD/BR. NOW...heres the fun part.....

Lord Of The Rings (LOTR) was the same marketing scam. You have a regular, theatrical version, then the extended edition. People get duped into buying one, then buy the other when its finally released. You can end up buying 6+ versions if you are impateint enough or a poor shopper.

So, now...mix in 3D version and you have:

-Theatrical DVD
-Extended Edition DVD
-Theatrical Blu-Ray
-Extended Edition Blu-Ray
-Theatrical 3D Blu-Ray
-Extended Edition 3D Blu-Ray

OH, lets not mention box sets, collectors edition, platinum edition, DVD + BR combos......the list goes on and on and on and on! Its all about making $$$$$$$
post #201 of 1052 Old 07-09-2010, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckoInLasVegas View Post

Avatar being released on BR and DVD is a good example of what has been going on for a long, long, LONG time. I cant even begin to name how many Special, Edition, Extended Edition, Unrated Edition, Super-Duper Snazzy Edition movies come out!

I can bet that nearly every single popular movie has atleast 1-3 versions out. Avatar is one of the most notable ones since everyone is name-dropping the title.

They will going be re-releasing Avatar in 3D again later this year with addtional footage to make an "extended edition". They will then release that extended edition on DVD/BR. NOW...heres the fun part.....

Lord Of The Rings (LOTR) was the same marketing scam. You have a regular, theatrical version, then the extended edition. People get duped into buying one, then buy the other when its finally released. You can end up buying 6+ versions if you are impateint enough or a poor shopper.

So, now...mix in 3D version and you have:

-Theatrical DVD
-Extended Edition DVD
-Theatrical Blu-Ray
-Extended Edition Blu-Ray
-Theatrical 3D Blu-Ray
-Extended Edition 3D Blu-Ray

OH, lets not mention box sets, collectors edition, platinum edition, DVD + BR combos......the list goes on and on and on and on! Its all about making $$$$$$$

LOTR was not exactly the same thing. New Line announced well before the DVDs were first released, that the EE versions would be released not too long afterward. With the blu ray release, we already knew the EEs would be coming eventually. Another obvious double dip that I avoided on blu.

post #202 of 1052 Old 07-23-2010, 11:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Topic title edited. Topic stuck.

Looking for a volunteer to maintain a master BD 3D topic. PM me if interested.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #203 of 1052 Old 07-26-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

I have changed the OP to reflect the new topic of the thread - future 3D BD releases with an announced release date and current exclusive titles for CEM giveaways.
post #204 of 1052 Old 07-27-2010, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update Lee, was looking for a master list. Hopefully studios really support 3d, but I doubt it'll happen until 2012 the earliest.

EDIT: Can you someone designate which movies were shot in 3d from the ones who did 2d/3d conversion?
post #205 of 1052 Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post

Thanks for the update Lee, was looking for a master list. Hopefully studios really support 3d, but I doubt it'll happen until 2012 the earliest.

I am thinking 2011 will see many more titles released than 2010

Quote:

EDIT: Can you someone designate which movies were shot in 3d from the ones who did 2d/3d conversion?

Done!
post #206 of 1052 Old 07-30-2010, 03:15 PM

Is the new release of friday the 13th 3-d on blu ray a stereoscopic 3d or the other. I emailed a dealer on ebay who told me that it was made for shutterglasses and 3d blu ray players, but I've also seen that the movie comes with glasses, which means that its probably anaglyph. Any one know?

post #207 of 1052 Old 07-30-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin6541 View Post

Is the new release of friday the 13th 3-d on blu ray a stereoscopic 3d or the other. I emailed a dealer on ebay who told me that it was made for shutterglasses and 3d blu ray players, but I've also seen that the movie comes with glasses, which means that its probably anaglyph. Any one know?

The Anaglyph 3D Bluray was released on June 16, 2009.

Other Anaglyph 3D Bluray releases are:
  • My Bloody Valentine - May 19, 2009
  • MILEY CIRUS - THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS - Aug. 19, 2008
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth - Oct. 28, 2008
  • Coraline - July 21, 2009
  • Polar Express - October 30, 2007
  • National Geographic: Sea Monsters - A Prehistoric Adventure - August 11, 2009
post #208 of 1052 Old 08-01-2010, 10:50 AM

Has there been any official word on whether or not Panny will renew their exclusive deal on Ice age and Coraline?
post #209 of 1052 Old 08-01-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss2d View Post

Has there been any official word on whether or not Panny will renew their exclusive deal on Ice age and Coraline?

It has been extended to September 4th
post #210 of 1052 Old 08-01-2010, 04:14 PM

Crap...and I guess we won't know if that's the end of it or not until that time comes.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Blu Ray , Monster House Blu Ray 3d Version , My Bloody Valentine 3d Blu Ray 3d , A Christmas Carol Blu Ray , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Clash Of The Titans Blu Ray , Toy Story 2 Two Disc Special Edition Blu Ray Dvd Combo W Blu Ray Packaging , Toy Story 3 Blu Ray , Toy Story Four Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page