The Official AVS 3D Blu-ray Release Schedule - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 1052 Old 03-16-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
3D Blu-ray Release Schedule

Same key as the current 3D movies thread:

S3D = True Stereoscopic 3D source

S3DR = Rendered Stereoscopic 3D source

2D-3D = 3D conversion

 

2D-S3DR = 3D conversion of a 2D CGI movie



2010

June 22 - CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS [S3DR]

September 14 - MONSTER HOUSE [S3DR]

October 5 - MY BLOODY VALENTINE  [S3D] Best Buy Exclusive

November 2:

IMAX: DINOSAURS ALIVE! [S3D]

IMAX: WILD OCEAN [S3D]

IMAX: GRAND CANYON ADVENTURE  [S3D]

November 16:

A CHRISTMAS CAROL [S3DR]

CATS & DOGS: THE REVENGE OF KITTY GALORE [2D-3D]

CLASH OF THE TITANS [2D-3D]

THE POLAR EXPRESS [S3DR]

IMAX: DEEP SEA [S3D]

IMAX: UNDER THE SEA [S3D]

IMAX: SPACE STATION [S3D]

OPEN SEASON [S3DR]

THE LAST AIRBENDER [2D-3D] Best Buy Exclusive

Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Film in 3D [S3D] NOTE: ONLY plays in 3D

December 7

ALICE IN WONDERLAND - [2D-3D]

UNIVERSE: 7 WONDERS OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM [??]

December 14 - DESPICABLE ME - [S3DR]

December 17 - LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS - [S3DR]

December 21 - STEP UP 3D - [S3D]

December 28 - RESIDENT EVIL: AFTERLIFE [S3D]


2011

January 4 - CORALINE [S3DR]

January 11: - PIRANHA 3D [2D-3D]

January 25 - SAW: THE FINAL CHAPTER [S3D]

February 22:

Grizzly Adams - Friends for Life (2D - 3D)

Grizzly Adams - The Fabric of Time (2D - 3D)

March 1

IMAX: DINOSAURS - GIANTS OF THE PATAGONIA [S3D]

IMAX: THE ULTIMATE WAVE - TAHITI [S3D]

March 22 - YOGI BEAR [S3DR]

March 29

IMAX: MUMMIES - SECRETS OF THE PHARAOHS [2D-3D]

IMAX: ULTIMATE G'S: ZAC’S FLYING MACHINE [S3D]

TANGLED - [S3DR]

KENNY CHESNEY: SUMMER IN 3D [S3D]

IMAX: Hubble 3D Best Buy Exclusive [IMAX 3D]

April 5 - TRON: Legacy [S3D]

April 19 - GULLIVER'S TRAVELS 3D [2D-3D]

May 3 - THE GREEN HORNET [2D-3D]

May 24 - GNOMEO & JULIET [S3DR]

May 31 - DRIVE ANGRY [S3D]

June 7:

IMAX: LEGENDS OF FLIGHT [IMAX 3D]

SANCTUM [S3D]

IMAX: OCEAN WONDERLAND 3D [IMAX 3D]

IMAX: SHARKS 3D [IMAX 3D]

IMAX: DOLPHINS AND WHALES 3D [IMAX 3D]

CIRQUE DU SOLEIL: JOURNEY OF A MAN - 3D [S3D]

Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2011: The 3D Experience

June 28 - DEEP OCEAN EXPERIENCE 3D [Unknown]

August 2:

ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS 3D - [S3DR]

RIO - [S3DR]

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER - [2D-3D]

August 9 - MARS NEEDS MOMS [S3DR]

August 16:

THE FINAL DESTINATION [S3D]

HOODWINKED TOO! HOOD vs. EVIL [S3DR]

PRIEST [2D-3D]

August 23 - A HAUNTING IN SALEM 3D [S3D]

August 30

THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS [2D-3D]

September 11:

MONSTERS vs. ALIENS - [S3DR] BB Exclusive

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - [S3DR] BB Exclusive

MEGAMIND - [S3DR] BB Exclusive

September 13 - THOR - [2D-3D]

September 20 - 3D SAFARI AFRICA [S3D]

October 4

THE LION KING 3D - [2D-S3DR]

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 3D - [2D-S3DR]

October 14 - GREEN LANTERN [2D-3D]

October 18 - PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES [S3D]

October 25:

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER [2D-3D]

Peter Gabriel's New Blood 3D [S3D]

October 30: SHREK: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION 3D [S3DR] Best Buy Exclusive

November 1:

TOY STORY [S3DR]

TOY STORY 2 [S3DR]

TOY STORY 3 [S3DR]

SHREK 1, 2 & 3 [3DR]

November 8

CARS 2 - [S3DR]

BOLT - [S3DR]

CHICKEN LITTLE - [S3DR]

G-FORCE -

MEET THE ROBINSONS - [S3DR]

November 11:

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 1 & PART 2 [2D-3D] Best Buy exclusives

November 15:

IMAX: SEA REX: JOURNEY TO A HISTORIC WORLD - [IMAX3D]

CARMEN IN 3D [S3D]

November 22: CONAN THE BARBARIAN [2D-3D]

November 29:

CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS - [S3D]

December 2: THE SMURFS 3D [2D-3D]

December 6:

IMAX: ARABIA [IMAX3D]

KUNG FU PANDA [S3DR] Best Buy Exclusive

December 13:

FRIGHT NIGHT 3D [S3D]

KUNG FU PANDA 2 [S3DR]

December 20:

Glee: The 3D Concert Movie [S3D]

DOLPHIN TALE 3D - S3D

RELEASE DATE UNKNOWN: IMAX 3D Triple Feature: Galapagos, Into the Deep, Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs

2012

January 3 - Shark Night 3D [S3D]

January 17 - JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH [S3D]

January 24 - WWII in 3D

January 31 - TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON [S3D]

February 7:

DAY OF THE DEAD 3D [2D-3D]
A VERY HAROLD & KUMAR CHRISTMAS 3D [S3D]

February 24: - PUSS IN BOOTS [S3DR]

February 28 - HUGO [S3D]

March 6: - THE IMMORTALS [2D-3D]

March 13

THE THREE MUSKETEERS 3D [S3D]
THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN [S3DR]

March 27 - THE LION OF JUDAH [S3DR]

April 10 - THE DARKEST HOUR [S3D]

April 17

IMAX: BORN TO BE WILD [IMAX 3D]
James Cameron’s Ghost of the Abyss [IMAX 3D]

May 1 - UP [S3DR]

May 15 - A&E HV's TITANIC - 3D [UKN]

May 31 - EARTH 3D [UKN]

June 5:

JOURNEY 2: THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND [S3D]
JOHN CARTER [2D-3D]

 

June 12 - GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE [2D-3D] 

June 19 - FLYING MONSTERS 3D [S3DR]

June 26 - WRATH OF THE TITANS [2D-3D]

 

July 18 - LOSER 3D [?]

 

August 7 -  DR. SEUSS' THE LORAX 3D [S3DR]

 

August 28 - THE PIRATES! BAND OF MISFITS  [S3DR]

 

August 31 - GO FOR IT! [?]

 

September 1 - JCVD: Bloodsport [2D-3D]


September 10 - TITANIC [2D-3D]

 

September 17 - AMAZING NATURE 3D [S3D]

 

September 18 - BAIT (III) 3D [S3D]

 

September 25 - THE AVENGERS [2D-3D]

 

October 1 - CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (B&W) [S3D] Amazon UK - Region Free

 

October 2 - CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (B&W) [S3D] NOTE: Part of a 8 movie box set.

 

October 9:

DIAL M FOR MURDER [S3D]

PROMETHEUS [S3D]

 

October 16 - AVATAR [S3D]

 

October 23:

I ROBOT [2D-3D]

ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER [2D-3D]

TINKER BELL: SECRET OF THE WINGS [S3DR]

 

October 25 - Adventure Coral Reef 3D - Under the Sea of Egypt [IMAX 3D]

 

November 6:

 

RESCUE 3D [IMAX 3D]

A&E HISTORY IN 3D [???]

A&E THE UNIVERSE 3D [???]

ARTHUR CHRISTMAS 3D [S3DR]

 

November 9 - THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN [S3D]

 

November 13 - BRAVE [S3DR]

 

November 20 - NITRO CIRCUS: THE MOVIE [S3D]


November 27 - PARANORMAN [S3DR]

 

December 4:

UP [S3DR]
FINDING NEMO [2D-S3DR]

 

December 11 - ICE AGE: CONTINENTIAL DRIFT [S3DR]

 

 

2013

 

January 22 - PINA-3D [S3D]

Lee Stewart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 1052 Old 03-16-2010, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
taz291819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 5,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This is exactly why I started the discussion on 3D Media. There are plenty of films ready to go on 3D BD, but they are holding back. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
taz291819 is offline  
post #3 of 1052 Old 03-16-2010, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I guess this is what you would call a "soft" launch. You don't really get any "softer" than this, lol. I mean, it's almost like they are deliberately trying to fail or something. The thing is, we know this isn't the case, because Sony, Samsung and Panasonic are behind this 3D push in a major way. They all want to see the 3D thing succeed. (Mits, Toshiba and Vizio as well I'm guessing...)

But what I can't understand is why anyone would want to buy a 3D Blu Ray player right now. There isn't anything to watch. It doesn't make much sense. I can't see anyone spending $400 or more on a Blu Ray player to watch 1 freaking movie!

On the plus side, at least gamers can be relatively entertained. Sony does have their 3D firmware coming in the summer which should allow a bunch of PS3 games to work in 3D. There is likely to be way more 3D gaming content, than movie or TV content in 3D. If you have no interest in games, then yeah, it sucks major. The only case I can make for the industry, is that they are basically looking at 2011 as the "real" launch of 3D, and they aren't going to make any serious efforts until then. Who knows... maybe their strategy is 4th quarter 2010. It's going to be a slow burn thru most of 2010 though.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #4 of 1052 Old 03-16-2010, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GregLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waimanalo HI
Posts: 3,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Maybe they think people will hate 3D once they see it, and they need the chance to sell all the sets they can before we wise up.

Greg Lee
GregLee is online now  
post #5 of 1052 Old 03-16-2010, 10:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I suppose if one were in the market for an HDTV, it would be a good time to buy a 3D HDTV instead of a normal one. That way, you'd be ready for next year. Otherwise, there's little incentive to jump in. Still, it's one of the oddest things I've ever seen. Tons of hype, lots of press, important industry types making all kinds of noise about 3D - and nothing to watch. Get everyone hot and bothered - and make them wait. I do expect several titles by the holiday buying season, but if that doesn't happen, I'm at a complete loss to understand why 3D has unfolded the way it has.

And despite what's been said, I'd be surprised if Avatar in 3D doesn't hit just in time to spur on sales of 3D HDTVs for Christmas. Even if it's in theaters for a second run, I'll be shocked if it's not released for the 2010 holidays.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is online now  
post #6 of 1052 Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Senior Member
 
monstosity12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
theres some others that are going to be released in 3d as well.

For instance, the clash of the titans (new one in theaters) and Harry potter and the deathly hallows are going to be in 3D. As the directors has said so, at least I read I did on some site. Not sure if they'll stick to their word or not.
monstosity12 is offline  
post #7 of 1052 Old 03-17-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taz291819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 5,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post

theres some others that are going to be released in 3d as well.

For instance, the clash of the titans (new one in theaters) and Harry potter and the deathly hallows are going to be in 3D. As the directors has said so, at least I read I did on some site. Not sure if they'll stick to their word or not.

There are quite a few movies in 3D coming out in theaters this year, but we're talking about in the home. That's kind of the point of this whole thing.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
taz291819 is offline  
post #8 of 1052 Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

There are quite a few movies in 3D coming out in theaters this year, but we're talking about in the home. That's kind of the point of this whole thing.


All fake as far as i'm aware.



Avatar was so good because it was filmed in stereo, all these other movies are being converted.


To me they look like an old popup book, just depth of field for random 2d images. Looks stupid, and it's definitely a FAD.
Verge2 is offline  
post #9 of 1052 Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This article sums up my sentiment nicely.

http://gizmodo.com/5493832/the-movie...os-big-3d-scam
Verge2 is offline  
post #10 of 1052 Old 03-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Steve P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
While there are some conversions in the pipe, the majority of the upcoming 3-D movies are native stereo, even SAW 7!
Steve P. is offline  
post #11 of 1052 Old 03-17-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

While there are some conversions in the pipe, the majority of the upcoming 3-D movies are native stereo, even SAW 7!

LOL - but the question is . . .

Will they be released on 3D BD?
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #12 of 1052 Old 03-17-2010, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GregLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waimanalo HI
Posts: 3,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

This article sums up my sentiment nicely.

http://gizmodo.com/5493832/the-movie...os-big-3d-scam

The article says: "It [using two cameras] also doubles much of the visual effects work as you have to render everything twice." I don't believe this. Also, the article is apparently about the theater experience, rather than 3D at home.

Greg Lee
GregLee is online now  
post #13 of 1052 Old 03-17-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
walford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 16,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Lee,
Good idea starting this thread. I think that as a result the handfull of us that are now regulars on thiese forums have alll learned a lot more about HDTVs, BR players and BR recordings that meet and/or support the new Blu-Ray FullHD specification requirements and also about those that do not.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1. The TV and player vendors(especialy Sony) are trying too hard to identify their new products as FullHD 3D products instead of as new top of the line TV and BR player products which now support the new BR 3D spec in adddition to having features not avialble in their lower level models in their product line. As an example of such features the HD Guru's testing link clearly pointed out that the 3D panasonic also had better PQ with 2D content then any 2D panasonic plasma he had previosly tested.

2 The Blu-Ray group is doing nothing to point out why their new 3D disks are any better then any other Blu-ray disks that identify on the package that they have 3D content. The simple logo with differnt font for the term "3D" certainly does nothing to estabish a distinctive brand. Nor has the Blu-Ray group AFASIK stated how they want to have their disks referred to. For exampe you use the abreviation "3D BR" and I prefer to use the abreviation "FullHD 3D BR disk". Hopefully those of us in this forum can agree on a set of names/abreviations that are not ambiguios and can then list them in a sticky for our own use and as glossary for those visiting these forums to refer to in order to understand the available SS3Dor should se say S3D products better.

3. The CEA should get involved and should say what names vendors of any SS3D/S3D products can use. The CEA certainly did not do this for HDTV and what a mess it caused when they allowed any digital display which contained 720 or more pixels per row as a 720p HDTV. What a mess this caused when Plasma 16:9 screen aspect ratio TV decided to release 1024x768 native resolution models with rectangular pixels in order to reduce their manufacturing costs. Another example is that the CEA did not establish how amnorphic DVDs should be labeles so each studio decided on it's own unique name.

4. As mentioned by other's I think the studio and player vendors are making a hudge mistake by not making new FullHD 3D BR disks avaialble at retail without any player restirtions even for a limited time. This IMHO will significasntly reduce the number of FullHD 3D BR disk compatible HDTVs and Players sold by the end of this calendar year since so list only about 5-8 lablels will be available by November.

Hopefully others will also respond to your request for thoughts on the "Current state of 3D HD" and a discussion of them can result in reducing the confusion that is now present.
walford is offline  
post #14 of 1052 Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
^^^^

All good points Walford.

I was hoping we would have a unified effort on launching 3D BD, which due to the format war with HD DVD didn't happen with BD. We haven't heard from the BDA on 3D BD since they announed the specs were completed for 3D BD 3 months ago.

The studios themselves are another puzzling part of the state of 3D BD today. It appears from first glance that Dreamworks Animation is giving support to 3D BD, just from the fact that they have 5 annouced titles.

What about these titles and these studios?

Coraline - Universal

My Bloody Valentine 3D - LionsGate

Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D - New Line/WB

Final Destination: Death Trip 3D - New line WB

Does every title have to be a CGI cartoon? There are three live action 3D titles right there.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #15 of 1052 Old 03-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Senior Member
 
monstosity12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

There are quite a few movies in 3D coming out in theaters this year, but we're talking about in the home. That's kind of the point of this whole thing.

Sorry Taz. I read the article really fast and didnt correlate 3d movie vs 3d blu ray. I should of read the article more slowly that I had read.

Just dont go tazmanian devil on me (sorry couldnt resist)
monstosity12 is offline  
post #16 of 1052 Old 03-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Member
 
DualEdge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

^^^^

All good points Walford.

I was hoping we would have a unified effort on launching 3D BD, which due to the format war with HD DVD didn't happen with BD. We haven't heard from the BDA on 3D BD since they announed the specs were completed for 3D BD 3 months ago.

The studios themselves are another puzzling part of the state of 3D BD today. It appears from first glance that Dreamworks Animation is giving support to 3D BD, just from the fact that they have 5 annouced titles.

What about these titles and these studios?

Coraline - Universal

My Bloody Valentine 3D - LionsGate

Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D - New Line/WB

Final Destination: Death Trip 3D - New line WB

Does every title have to be a CGI cartoon? There are three live action 3D titles right there.

I remember reading something around CES (I think from CNET) that Warner Bros had a 3D reel running at Panasonic's booth that showcased Journey to the Center of the Earth and The Polar Express on Bluray 3D. When the clips ended, it said that both titles were planned for release sometime this year. I have yet to see a press release confirming that though. I'm especially interested in Journey because it currently lacks a lossless audio track here in the States, plus I thought the movie was a lot of fun in 3D (yeah it's gimmicky with stuff popping out at you, but I don't care).

My HT Gear:
Receiver - YAMAHA RX-A2010 AMP: Emotiva XPA-5
Fronts: Klipsch RF-7 ii Center: Klipsch RC-64 ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-62 ii Surround Backs: RB-81 ii
Front Presence: Klipsch RSX-4
Sub: SVS PC13-Ultra
DualEdge is offline  
post #17 of 1052 Old 03-17-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
taz291819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 5,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post

Sorry Taz. I read the article really fast and didnt correlate 3d movie vs 3d blu ray. I should of read the article more slowly that I had read.

Just dont go tazmanian devil on me (sorry couldnt resist)

No worries, I do it also, on a daily basis on this forum!

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
taz291819 is offline  
post #18 of 1052 Old 03-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Newbie
 
bleehart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Back in the late 90's as HDTV was making it's debut I remember seeing a similar trend as we see today with 3D. All of the manufacturers were jumping on the HD bandwagon and content providers, primarily TV stations, were making announcements with little, or no, content to back it up. Back then it seems like Discovery was one of maybe two HD stations and, even then, most of the programming was still filmed in SD and simply up-converted.

Today, with 3D, we have a similar trend where all of the main manufacturers are investing millions to back up a technology whose content, frankly, is extremely limited right now. Having seen the 3D at CES personally I believe that the technology is good enough now that people will be willing to invest in it but, like HD, it will take some time before it is adopted on a large scale. We should have a pretty good idea, come December, as to whether or not HD3D is going to take off but it's content, not technology that is going to sell it.
bleehart is offline  
post #19 of 1052 Old 03-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Joel802's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah all this really makes 3d less compelling. Thus is the peril of early adoption. You get the newest, hottest tech and very limited content. Comes with the territory. However the amount of content appears to be limited further more by attaching exclusivity of titles with which manufacturer you purchase your set with. Wow..... However upon reading the handout they gave me at Best Buy, it indicates that the Samsung displays has its own 3d processor built in which would allow 3d rendering of 2d content. I wonder how effective that is? I suppose that could tide some one over until content is more widespread.

Cheers
Joel802 is offline  
post #20 of 1052 Old 03-18-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

The article says: "It [using two cameras] also doubles much of the visual effects work as you have to render everything twice." I don't believe this. Also, the article is apparently about the theater experience, rather than 3D at home.


When he references "render" he is talking about the actual rendering of the 3d scene. With how complex these scenes are, it takes a very long time to render them. In stereo, you have to render each frame 2x, one for each camera.


Treebeard alone in LOTR took 28 hours to render a single frame. In stereo, each "frame" would have to be rendered twice, so you are looking at 56 hours PER frame.
Verge2 is offline  
post #21 of 1052 Old 03-18-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tampa FL 33629
Posts: 2,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think this concern is a little premature. I don't think anyone expected 3D to be out before this Summer and Samsung and Panasonic both shocked us by shipping in March.

I believe we'll see 3D Blu-ray Discs on the shelf for sale either this Summer or the Fall. By then all the manufacturers should have their 3DTVs on the market and the studios will feel better about producing all those discs.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
bdraw is offline  
post #22 of 1052 Old 03-18-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joe Bloggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

When he references "render" he is talking about the actual rendering of the 3d scene. With how complex these scenes are, it takes a very long time to render them. In stereo, you have to render each frame 2x, one for each camera.

But it's still not "double the visual effects work". Rendering another viewpoint later may take a lot of time, but it will be mostly automated. The time consuming part for the visual effects people will be the animating etc., and the effects people won't need to do double the amount of animating or 3d modelling.
Quote:
Treebeard alone in LOTR took 28 hours to render a single frame. In stereo, each "frame" would have to be rendered twice, so you are looking at 56 hours PER frame.

You could use double the amount of computers to halve the time, and/or use more/faster processors - and computers will have got faster than when they made those films.
Joe Bloggs is offline  
post #23 of 1052 Old 03-18-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel802 View Post

Yeah all this really makes 3d less compelling. Thus is the peril of early adoption. You get the newest, hottest tech and very limited content. Comes with the territory. However the amount of content appears to be limited further more by attaching exclusivity of titles with which manufacturer you purchase your set with. Wow..... However upon reading the handout they gave me at Best Buy, it indicates that the Samsung displays has its own 3d processor built in which would allow 3d rendering of 2d content. I wonder how effective that is? I suppose that could tide some one over until content is more widespread.

Cheers

One poster in some thread around here said PS3 games (2D to 3D) looked great on the Samsung sets.
jbug is offline  
post #24 of 1052 Old 03-18-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

But it's still not "double the visual effects work". Rendering another viewpoint later may take a lot of time, but it will be mostly automated. The time consuming part for the visual effects people will be the animating etc., and the effects people won't need to do double the amount of animating or 3d modelling.

Correct, but if you have 3 months of dedicated rendering time, you now have 6 months.

Quote:
You could use double the amount of computers to halve the time, and/or use more/faster processors - and computers will have got faster than when they made those films.

Yes it is an old example, but it puts things into perspective. They had several thousand computers, doubling them wouldn't have been cheap... that would have cost in the millions.

Computers have gotten faster, but so have rendering processes and complexity. As the computers get faster, the scenes have just gotten more complex... neither is really gaining ground right now.
Verge2 is offline  
post #25 of 1052 Old 03-18-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
georule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's an inevitable effect of marketing and retail sales that the price of your product will go down over time, and bricks and mortar stores will give new releases promotional and placement advantages over old product. There aren't enough 3D sets out there yet to make it worthwhile to launch your entire catalog now, and then suffer the price and placement erosion while waiting for the installed base to increase.

We saw the same phenomenon with Blu-ray releases initially. Yes, the content providers have to provide enough content to give the early adopters something to watch. . . but they are going to hold back on their major assets until there are more people out there who will be excited to buy and watch them *on the day of release*, and not 6 months or a year later.
georule is offline  
post #26 of 1052 Old 03-18-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by georule View Post

It's an inevitable effect of marketing and retail sales that the price of your product will go down over time, and bricks and mortar stores will give new releases promotional and placement advantages over old product. There aren't enough 3D sets out there yet to make it worthwhile to launch your entire catalog now, and then suffer the price and placement erosion while waiting for the installed base to increase.

We saw the same phenomenon with Blu-ray releases initially. Yes, the content providers have to provide enough content to give the early adopters something to watch. . . but they are going to hold back on their major assets until there are more people out there who will be excited to buy and watch them *on the day of release*, and not 6 months or a year later.

Agreed - but there are NO 3D BD's being sold to the general public. No tech reason for this. They would play fine in 2D in legacy BD players.

They are releasing a new format with new equipment and no content

How well would BD have done if all they did was release players and no movies? What? Use it as a upconveting player for DVD until there was a healthy population of BD players?
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #27 of 1052 Old 03-18-2010, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
R Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Business Plan?
It takes time to get past the Chicken/Egg question.
Anxious early adopters will buy anything that says 3D.
Then every year or so, they'll buy the new and improved model.
Maybe at some point the bugs will have been worked out and enough content will be available to entice the semi-early adopters.
Maybe we can make a few bucks before 3D is a commodity.

Blu-ray followed this pattern.

In the meantime, cold showers are advised.
R Johnson is online now  
post #28 of 1052 Old 03-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
AJSJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Sonoma County, CA, US
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

All fake as far as i'm aware.



Avatar was so good because it was filmed in stereo, all these other movies are being converted.


To me they look like an old popup book, just depth of field for random 2d images. Looks stupid, and it's definitely a FAD.

We need to start popularizing a term like "Full 3D" or "True 3D" for those shot with 3D cameras not containing any 2D conversions. So totally rendered (for 2 camera positions) 3D CGI would qualify, but Alice and Clash wouldn't. Harry Potter and hallows would be "some scenes in Full 3D"
AJSJones is offline  
post #29 of 1052 Old 03-18-2010, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSJones View Post

We need to start popularizing a term like "Full 3D" or "True 3D" for those shot with 3D cameras not containing any 2D conversions. So totally rendered (for 2 camera positions) 3D CGI would qualify, but Alice and Clash wouldn't. Harry Potter and hallows would be "some scenes in Full 3D"

FHD3D = Full HD (1920x1080) per eye

HHD3D = Half HD (1920x540 or 960x1080) per eye

2D3D = 2D converted to 3D

S3D = Stereoscopic 3D - stereo camera rig used.

So . . .

Avatar on 3D BD would be S3D FHD3D

Alice In Wonderland on 3D BD would be 2D3D FHD3D

The Masters on CBL would be S3D HHD3D

Lee Stewart is offline  
post #30 of 1052 Old 03-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Quetzalcoatl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grants Pass, OR
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

FHD3D = Full HD (1920x1080) per eye

HHD3D = Half HD (1920x540 or 960x1080) per eye

2D3D = 2D converted to 3D

S3D = Stereoscopic 3D - stereo camera rig used.

So . . .

Avatar on 3D BD would be S3D FHD3D

Alice In Wonderland on 3D BD would be 2D3D FHD3D

The Masters on CBL would be S3D HHD3D


Are we trying to turn 3D blu into the federal gov with the alphabet soup of acronyms.

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for theirs.
General George Patton
Quetzalcoatl is offline  
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Blu Ray , Monster House Blu Ray 3d Version , My Bloody Valentine 3d Blu Ray 3d , A Christmas Carol Blu Ray , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Clash Of The Titans Blu Ray , Toy Story 2 Two Disc Special Edition Blu Ray Dvd Combo W Blu Ray Packaging , Toy Story 3 Blu Ray , Toy Story Four Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy
Gear in this thread - Toy by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off