ESPN 3D Channel - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Member
 
EVERRET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

The sales for 3D Blu-ray titles has been and remains very low and it's getting to the point that more and more current movies that had theatrical releases in 3D aren't getting home video 3D releases. .

What 3D theatrical release has not got a home 3D video release lately ?

What I see ....... past 2D movies getting a 3D makeover with both theatrical & home video releases.

Also : sales

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/3d-starts-popping-up-us-380198
http://www.3dfocus.co.uk/3d-news-2/spend-on-3d-blu-ray-nearly-doubled-in-2012/11518


Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

just read this article about ESPN dropping the 3D channel because of poor ratings. Interesting figures in the article pertaining to 3D movies: " the Motion Picture Association said box office revenue for 3-D showings in the U.S. and Canada was flat in 2012 from a year earlier at $1.8 billion. The number of 3-D films released in the period dropped by 20 percent". Not enough viewers to make it profitable.. mad.gif

Avengers & Titanic 3D came out in April & May of last year ..... so if the revenue is even close to last year at this point, it would be amazing.
If indeed the number of 3D movies dropped by 20% from last year? ..... it would be even more amazing.


The main reasons ESPN 3D has failed is because of.......... no new content , just reruns all day....... low resolution video.......... and $10 dollar surcharge just to get it .
EVERRET is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Steve P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
+1

ESPN3D was way too premature of an idea. They should have just partnered with cable and satellite companies for the occasional special event, and not expected huge audiences for reruns of 2010 Little League Championships, especially when the broadcasts have been half 2-D and low resolution anyway.

As for theatrical 3-D releases not getting 3-D blu-ray releases, that is plain incorrect information. The fact is that 3-D blu-ray releases are increasing.

So what if theatrical releases dropped by 20%? Is that necessarily a bad thing? Do we really need every movie slapped with a conversion? I'd rather they concentrate on properly shooting fewer films in native 3-D, with full depth (no flat looking dialog scenes, LOL) throughout. Now that the projection and distribution is in place on thousands and thoudands of screens worldwide, the genie is out of the bottle. It's a part of the mix, it may ebb and flow, but it isn't going to go dormant. Same with 3-D TV; virtually all new models have the feature, so the content will be there for those who wish the enjoy it.

The biggest thing the industry and the media did wrong was to predict that it would overtake 2-D. That was unrealistic. So what if 3-D sales are lower than 2-D. That doesn't mean it isn't making money. If more people buy vanilla ice cream than strawberry, does that mean strawberry ice cream is doomed?
Steve P. is offline  
Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERRET View Post

What 3D theatrical release has not got a home 3D video release lately ?

What I see ....... past 2D movies getting a 3D makeover with both theatrical & home video releases.

Yeah, I love when stuff like this gets posted. How about Partyslammer just naming one example.

Matt
turls is offline  
Old 06-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Member
 
huskerbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

You guys aren't trying very hard to find deals on 3D BluRay. Its not hard to catch a sale at $15 for a 3D BD. I'm not sure where the proof is that movies being released in the theaters aren't getting a 3D release, I can guarantee that list is very short. Unless someone has a source that proves otherwise and I am just missing things.

I enjoyed ESPN 3D, but I was wondering if the writing was on the wall when they aren't even showing the NBA Finals in 3D (I think the last time was 2011).


I agree!
huskerbear is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
 
SFMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERRET View Post

The main reasons ESPN 3D has failed is because of.......... no new content , just reruns all day....... low resolution video.......... and $10 dollar surcharge just to get it .

And let’s not forget a total lack of marketing. The same can be said for the other 3D channels carried by DirecTV. They have had some great content but it is few and very far between. They are still heavily rotating the shows that were there from day one. After awhile you stop checking out the channel as there is nothing new. And again, there is a real lack of promotion of these stations.

The lack of promotion and programming shown by the "ESPN 3D Channel" which is owned by Disney, is another example of a corporation setting up a project to fail. It's not surprising when it does. I would like to have seen what went on during the ESPN 3D board meetings. How many people were involved in running this operation? One...any?
I bet at the start there was some financial backing by the TV makers that has now run out. So we have corporate mismanagement of 3D TV content and of 3D TV sales promotion by the TV makers, as well as incompetent 3d TV sales promotion at stores (i.e. Best Buy) it all adds up to failure with a lot of blame to spread around.

Also we can not forget the constant barrage of negativity from the always loud 3D haters community. "It's the glasses! It's a gimmick! It makes me sick!" I find it interesting the lack of promotion of new 3D bluray content when it is released. Like "OZ" it's treated almost as an embarrassment rather than a cool feature. And it's overpriced. Just as 3D content has become better and better you see less promotion. We got all the promotion when there was very little in the way of content. When you are set up something up to fail it usually does and it’s never the corporations fault.
SFMike is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dfergie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: South of First Contact Site
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post

And let’s not forget a total lack of marketing. The same can be said for the other 3D channels carried by DirecTV. They have had some great content but it is few and very far between. They are still heavily rotating the shows that were there from day one. After awhile you stop checking out the channel as there is nothing new. And again, there is a real lack of promotion of these stations.

The lack of promotion and programming shown by the "ESPN 3D Channel" which is owned by Disney, is another example of a corporation setting up a project to fail. It's not surprising when it does. I would like to have seen what went on during the ESPN 3D board meetings. How many people were involved in running this operation? One...any?
I bet at the start there was some financial backing by the TV makers that has now run out. So we have corporate mismanagement of 3D TV content and of 3D TV sales promotion by the TV makers, as well as incompetent 3d TV sales promotion at stores (i.e. Best Buy) it all adds up to failure with a lot of blame to spread around.

Also we can not forget the constant barrage of negativity from the always loud 3D haters community. "It's the glasses! It's a gimmick! It makes me sick!" I find it interesting the lack of promotion of new 3D bluray content when it is released. Like "OZ" it's treated almost as an embarrassment rather than a cool feature. And it's overpriced. Just as 3D content has become better and better you see less promotion. We got all the promotion when there was very little in the way of content. When you are set up something up to fail it usually does and it’s never the corporations fault.
Actually if you check 3net it has a few new shows, usually shown on Sundays and don't forget the 3D ppv channel offered up by DIRECTV...
dfergie is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
SFMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post

Actually if you check 3net it has a few new shows, usually shown on Sundays and don't forget the 3D ppv channel offered up by DIRECTV...

Right, and there have been some good ones lately. Bullproof was great! But overall the majority of the programing is recycled content. I really hope 3Net sticks around. The PPV channel is nice but tends to be the current bluray release. I've enjoyed a couple of these.
SFMike is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dfergie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: South of First Contact Site
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Bullproof and the PBR Finals from a couple years ago rocked for sure...
dfergie is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Well, my guess is Wimbledon may be one of the very last live events we see on ESPN 3D. They didn't even bother mentioning it in the ESPN 3D Twitter feed. Too bad.

Matt
turls is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dfergie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: South of First Contact Site
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

Well, my guess is Wimbledon may be one of the very last live events we see on ESPN 3D. They didn't even bother mentioning it in the ESPN 3D Twitter feed. Too bad.
And that's why this channel hasn't taken off, very poor support & programming which is frustrating as it could be much better with some MLB, NHRA, Softball etc shown...
dfergie is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
joed32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I wonder how they thought they could run old sporting events 24/7 and attract a loyal audience. To look for live events you had to go to their website and they were few and far between.
joed32 is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Senior Member
 
johnny905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

I wonder how they thought they could run old sporting events 24/7 and attract a loyal audience. To look for live events you had to go to their website and they were few and far between.

Exactly. Yet another example of providing a poor product, with poor promotion, and blaming it on lack of 3D interest.
johnny905 is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 222
The problem isn't as simple as any specific provider delivering a poor product. The problem is the lack of financial backing to allow providing that quality product. It cost more for 3D cameras and production studios and sets and if you're not willing to spend the $$$ to walk the walk then you will never succeed beyond talking the talk. At first it was a multi fronted venture including Disney, ABC, ESPN, Panasonic, HDNET, Sony and a few other players behind the scenes. They all wanted instant financial gratification without a serious financial support. When one by one they started backing out the programing well went dry and never had a chance to survive. It's a shame they were so short sighted because you have a lot of 3D TV's out there existing on 3D blu-ray movies, and that's just not gonna cut it. 3D will survive but it will not flourish without serious $$$$ backing.
andy sullivan is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Senior Member
 
SFMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

The problem isn't as simple as any specific provider delivering a poor product. The problem is the lack of financial backing to allow providing that quality product. It cost more for 3D cameras and production studios and sets and if you're not willing to spend the $$$ to walk the walk then you will never succeed beyond talking the talk. At first it was a multi fronted venture including Disney, ABC, ESPN, Panasonic, HDNET, Sony and a few other players behind the scenes. They all wanted instant financial gratification without a serious financial support. When one by one they started backing out the programing well went dry and never had a chance to survive. It's a shame they were so short sighted because you have a lot of 3D TV's out there existing on 3D blu-ray movies, and that's just not gonna cut it. 3D will survive but it will not flourish without serious $$$$ backing.

You are right on about everything. Another problem is that the viewer/consumer of 3D entertainment have no voice in the matter. The few of us here at AVS are a raindrop in an ocean of negative comments about 3DTV and movies in the general media. The late Roger Ebert a good example. 3DNet has some great programing but maybe a new show once a week while the rest are repeated programs 24/7. And there is no promotion at all to the general public and they wonder why viewership is low. I suspect Disney, the owner of ESPN, will be pulling out of 3D soon. They had one of the best recent 3D features in "Oz The Great And Powerful" and totally blew off the bluray release of the film. 3D lovers are heading for slim times in content.
SFMike is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I find it impossible to believe that anything close to a majority dislike 3D. I've seen posts on these forums from people saying they've never seen 3D but they know they would hate it. I have not personally spoken to one single person that doesn't like 3D once they've seen a quality sample on a good TV. I have had people over to my house every weekend for the past 7 weeks to watch a 3D movie for the first time. That's probably about 22 people. Most over the age of 60. 100% impression rate.
andy sullivan is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jedi2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
And there's always some Negative Nancys that will stand on the rooftops and shout about the death of 3D whenever someone's profits drops by three dollars. As you said, Andy, these are most likely people who have either never seen 3D, or at least have never seen good 3D.. felt they got tricked into seeing The Last Airbender in 3D and have sworn off the feature ever since.

I think what's probably happening is that the general public is starting to be a bit more picky about it, choosing only titles that actually make use of 3D rather than seeing or buying the 3D version for no other reason than it's in 3D. 3D is no longer a sales point in and of itself. It has to be put on something that the audience will say "Man, that looks awesome, I wanna see that one in 3D!!" (for me, the latest example would be Pacific Rim).

I don't blame anyone but ESPN for the failure of this channel. I don't have cable in any event, so I could never have watched it, but by all accounts, it was niche sports on a niche channel. They likely intentionally buried it to prevent themselves from being forced by their customers into shooting ALL of their sports titles in 3D, which would be quite expensive to change over to. Had they broadcasted the major sports leagues (NFL, NBA, MLB) in 3D, on their normal channels, the adoption would probably have been a hell of a lot higher.

The technology is almost there. This is going to happen eventually, no matter what.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Jedi2016 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 09:54 AM
 
alk3997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
It's not that most of us dislike 3D. It's just (I'll speak for myself) we're lazy. I don't want to go get the 3D glasses from the shelf unless I'm planning to watch a 3D show. When we show a 3D movie, I go get the glasses for ourselves and our guests, clean them, start the projector 1/2 hour ahead of time (to reduce ghosting), setup the discs, etc. Dial M for Murder in 3D and Hubble 3D were fun as was a lot of other 3D movies we've watched.

When I'm watching TV, to change the channel to 3D would require me to get off my "chair" and go get the glasses and then remember where ESPN 3D was located in DirecTV (around channel 107, if I remember). Lazyness...

Now had there been more major league baseball shown in 3D, that would have made the effort worthwhile. I think, in the end, there was only 1 3D major league game ever shown (Yankees versus Mariners, in Seattle). Maybe even an NFL 3D game would have helped (maybe).

I predict (or fear) the same thing will happen again with UltraHD but at least I won't need to get up to get the glasses this time.
alk3997 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

It's not that most of us dislike 3D. It's just (I'll speak for myself) we're lazy. I don't want to go get the 3D glasses from the shelf unless I'm planning to watch a 3D show. When we show a 3D movie, I go get the glasses for ourselves and our guests, clean them, start the projector 1/2 hour ahead of time (to reduce ghosting), setup the discs, etc. Dial M for Murder in 3D and Hubble 3D were fun as was a lot of other 3D movies we've watched.

When I'm watching TV, to change the channel to 3D would require me to get off my "chair" and go get the glasses and then remember where ESPN 3D was located in DirecTV (around channel 107, if I remember). Lazyness...

Now had there been more major league baseball shown in 3D, that would have made the effort worthwhile. I think, in the end, there was only 1 3D major league game ever shown (Yankees versus Mariners, in Seattle). Maybe even an NFL 3D game would have helped (maybe).

I predict (or fear) the same thing will happen again with UltraHD but at least I won't need to get up to get the glasses this time.
It all goes back to a lack of quality content. If there was enough you would just keep your glasses next to your chair. As far as 3D blu-ray movies, when we are going to watch one it's more of an event. Why an event? Because you almost can't rent them, you have to buy the damm things and they are expensive. Blockbuster doesn't carry them and their web site has a few but they don't have a category for them, stupid! You seldom see them advertised on sale. I watch the Friday ad from Fry's Electronics every week and they always have a bunch of blu-ray movies advertised. The last time and only time I've ever seen them advertise 3D blu-ray movies was during their anniversary sale where they also had the Sony 70R550A for one day at $1599. I bought the TV and 5 movies @ $14.99ea, including Avatar, Life of Pi, Prometheus, and Ice Age:Continental Drift.
andy sullivan is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
Steve P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Fry's has 3D blu-rays on sale regularly - the Las Vegas ads have them listed frequently.
Steve P. is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I scan the ad every Friday. No 3D's today.
andy sullivan is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Steve P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Saw a few in store at Fry's today on sale. Dino King was $9,99 LOL smile.gif
Steve P. is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Lots of ESPN bashing, but I fail to understand why they show the NBA finals one year in 3D, and the next 2 years they don't, when you compare to Wimbledon which they did show in 3D every year lately I think. I understand the Wimbledon cameras may not be theirs, but I think it is either a rights issue, where the sports leagues were charging extra for the rights to broadcast 3D, or else a sponsorship issue, where no one would sponsor it. Could even be something as goofy as the NBA giving them a free pass one year and not the next on the 3D rights.

In any case, I don't blame Disney/ESPN for all of it, until I hear conclusively that rights/sponsorship had nothing to do with it.

Matt
turls is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Plenty more than the NCAA and the NBA at work here. ESPN blamed the viewers siting a lack of subscriber interest as the reason for ESPN 3D shutting down. It's a two way street. No product = no interest. It's not rocket science. The old adage "build it and they will come" is true in this case. Spend the money on cameras. Spend the money on production. Spend the money on advertising. That recipe has always been the way to success when introducing a new product in this country.
andy sullivan is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I think you are missing my point. They obviously had the cameras, production dollars, and advertising in 2011 to do the NBA Finals. Is really all that happened in 2012 was that they gave up? About a year before they officially pulled the plug? That's just one specific example, there are many other examples of programming they never offered, even when the channel was new. Because they didn't want to do it or didn't want to spend the money when they had the investment in the equipment, especially off the bat? I doubt that was all of it.

Matt
turls is offline  
Old 09-02-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rudy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 3,237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 119
ESPN 3D will no longer be available effective September 30th, according to my Comcast statement. I thought we at least had until the end of the year before the channel went dark. Guess they couldn't wait to get all that equipment listed on eBay. rolleyes.gif
Rudy1 is online now  
Old 09-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
 
dclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
ESPN 3d sucked! The only thing that sounded remotely interesting was the college national chanpionship earlier this year( which sucked, no fault to espn). It seems like whenever I looked at the program guide, they only had reruns of old crap. A college football or basketball game that happened months in the past. I (and I think most people) don't want to watch sports reruns, we want to see it live.
If they had pro sports (wasn't nfl once promised?) like NFL , NBA or MLB, it would be a great channel.
Lack of programming made it suck.
dclark is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off