ESPN 3D Channel - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Right, but the first ESPN produced 3D broadcast is of the Home Run Derby on July 12th. So it'll be 1080i until then.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

Right, but the first ESPN produced 3D broadcast is of the Home Run Derby on July 12th. So it'll be 1080i until then.

This will be a good trivia answer, in the near future.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #243 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, ESPN has already produced a few other 3D events like The Globetrotters on Feb 25th, USC vs Ohio State on Sept 12th 2009 and the X-Games 3D movie. And ESPN participated in The Masters 3D production. So the Home Run Derby will be the first live national 3D broadcast on ESPN 3D that they produced. But yeah, a good trivia question.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/03/04/es...ball-producti/
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/aug...sp-usc-3d-tv24

Ben
Engadget HD
post #244 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, ESPN has already produced a few other 3D events like The Globetrotters on Feb 25th, USC vs Ohio State on Sept 12th 2009 and the X-Games 3D movie. And ESPN participated in The Masters 3D production. So the Home Run Derby will be the first live national 3D broadcast on ESPN 3D that they produced. But yeah, a good trivia question.

I meant the 1080i part.

post #245 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

AFAIK ESPN-3D has no plans to broadcast all progams in the same resolution.
I expect that events such as Golf would be in 1080i SbS to maximixe the resolution detail. And I expect that small court events such as Hockey or Basketball would be in 720p TnB. Apparently they have selected 720p SbS for soccer and they will probably use it for football also since they have large playing fields and both resolution detail and a fast frame rate are important.
post #246 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime19 View Post

Your TV requires checkerboard input, Directv is Side by side so yours won't work unless you get some adapters to go stereoscopic. See the posts in this thread.

People were saying their Samsung DLPs were displaying a sbs image. Posts in this very thread said that, which is why I tried to replicate those results. I'm well aware to see actual 3D images I need checkerboard.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #247 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

AFAIK ESPN-3D has no plans to broadcast all progams in the same resolution.

They'll settle on 720p once the World Cup is over.

post #248 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

People were saying their Samsung DLPs were displaying a sbs image. Posts in this very thread said that, ...

I must have missed those posts. On the off chance you are referring to one of my posts, I didn't say such a thing, because I do not have a DLP. I do see a sbs image, but not on a DLP.

Greg Lee
post #249 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

They'll settle on 720p once the World Cup is over.

That is correct, at the event they expressed their love for 720p. In fact I believe the only reason they used 1080i this time was because the company who produced the events did it in 1080i50 and ESPN couldn't get it to convert to 720p60 3D with desirable results.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #250 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That is correct, at the event they expressed their love for 720p. In fact I believe the only reason they used 1080i this time was because the company who produced the events did it in 1080i50 and ESPN couldn't get it to convert to 720p60 3D with desirable results.

Exactly.

After The Masters, I thought there may have been the chance for 3D they would have gone with 1080i for the greater horizontal resolution, but it does not surprise me in the least 720p is the choice.

Anyone I've ever met from ESPN or ABC has 720p running in their veins.

post #251 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Although the EPSN 3D channel is not a stream, it's a broadcast, saying Comcast is not that knowledgeable about 3D is an understatement. Same can be said for DirecTV.

What amazes me is that it seems that nobody from ESPN, Comcast, DirecTV, AT&T U-Verse or anyone else bringing this broadcast to customers even thought about reaching out to either AVSForum or Satelliteguys weeks in advance when these decisions had been made. For 3D television buyers, many of them on on this forum as it is the singular discussion place for early adopters in HDTV technology. If any of them are looking to make the World Cup 3D broadcast as seamless as possible to the viewers and they knew that the equipment demands may change from the Masters broadcast, wouldn't you want to get the word out in advance?

The fact that this forum had to reach out to any of these media companies for clarification and a technical explanation speaks volumes on their overall customer service issues. And at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Tivo is just finding all about this now since probably nobody made a phone call to them either.

Inexcusable.

Rick
post #252 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 05:45 PM

Liked: 10
requirements:

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...7-d5f14b49c44a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckywang View Post

Chicagoland here ... I see no listing for ESPN 3D for Comcast. If anybody in my area does, please post.

post #253 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Although the EPSN 3D channel is not a stream, it's a broadcast, saying Comcast is not that knowledgeable about 3D is an understatement. Same can be said for DirecTV.

Thanks for the correction!
post #254 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 06:17 PM

I'd like to know if many of you got screwed by Comcast when they said ESPN3D was not available yet in their areas (me included )
post #255 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

I'd like to know if many of you got screwed by Comcast when they said ESPN3D was not available yet in their areas (me included )

I think it just started today. It's good in my area, but the selection is a bit skimpy. Only one game tomorrow around 9AM, and another on Sunday. I'm still waiting for my 3D TV so I've got it scheduled to record the games. At least when my TV comes I'll have something to watch in 3D.

Clark
post #256 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowvex View Post

Yes! Just checked again, it is the DCH3200.

Unfortunately, I was not able to confirm this on my DCH3200. Had the Rep turn on the billing code for ESPN3D, but the only result on the DCH and on my TiVo was that the old "Masters" 3DTV channel moved from 897 to 896. The DCH does not show channel 898 in the guide, or lets me tune to it.

On the Tivo it shows up as "!!!!!ESPN 3D" in the channel list and I can tune to it, but there is no signal. I'll try that again tomorrow morning when the next game is on. What I'll also try, if it lets me record that channel, is to transfer it to my mac and play the file with an MPEG4 player app.

My guess is you got "lucky" and your comcast headend is re-encoding the ESPN3D channel in MPEG2 when they apply more compression.
post #257 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 10:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post

Unfortunately, I was not able to confirm this on my DCH3200. Had the Rep turn on the billing code for ESPN3D, but the only result on the DCH and on my TiVo was that the old "Masters" 3DTV channel moved from 897 to 896. The DCH does not show channel 898 in the guide, or lets me tune to it.

Unless ESPN 3D on the air, it does not show up in the iGuide, at least on a DCT in Detroit.

Quote:

On the Tivo it shows up as "!!!!!ESPN 3D" in the channel list and I can tune to it, but there is no signal. I'll try that again tomorrow morning when the next game is on. What I'll also try, if it lets me record that channel, is to transfer it to my mac and play the file with an MPEG4 player app.

Let us know how that goes.

Quote:

My guess is you got "lucky" and your comcast headend is re-encoding the ESPN3D channel in MPEG2 when they apply more compression.

Since the DCH series is not MPEG4 compatible, if what we've heard about the channel being MPEG4 is correct, somewhere it was transcoded to MPEG2. Or, it was MPEG2 all along.

post #258 of 476 Old 06-11-2010, 11:14 PM

Twice I've called Comcast to activate ESPN 3D and twice they said they've done it. However, the channel still does not show up. I called the 3D help line and the analyst I talked to said it's something on their end that they are working to fix. There is no time frame for when ESPN 3D will be up and running.

Anybody else get this?
post #259 of 476 Old 06-12-2010, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post

If it doesn't work on the TiVo HD then I'd expect it is TiVo's problem to resolve. I know for a fact that the HD chip supports MPEG4 but who knows if it is supported in the software. It'll be interesting to hear if TiVo To Go works. I know that The Masters wasn't marked Copy Once, not sure about the FIFA matches.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #260 of 476 Old 06-12-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:

If it doesn't work on the TiVo HD then I'd expect it is TiVo's problem to resolve. I know for a fact that the HD chip supports MPEG4 but who knows if it is supported in the software. It'll be interesting to hear if TiVo To Go works. I know that The Masters wasn't marked Copy Once, not sure about the FIFA matches.

OK, here are my results so far:

The TiVo records some data, but can neiter play the recording nor the live video. Recordings are about 4.25 Gig per hour.

After the recording is done, the TiVo immediately discards the recording, I suppose because it can not determine any valid video data in the file.

I was not able to get the files onto my mac with Tivo Transfer, since it does not let me transfer files that are still recording, and that's the only time they show up in the transfer list.

Time for TiVo to add MPEG4 support. Let's see if they can make it happen before the final on July 11th.

And the DCH3200 still does not show anything in the guide, or lets me tune to channel 898.
post #261 of 476 Old 06-12-2010, 06:54 AM

I am watching espn in 3d now amazing!!!! I got rid of comcrap and got the new hr24 receiver from direct tv. The quality is so much better.

1 question I have is does it only output stereo sound thru hdmi into the stereo?? The installer said I would have to use the optical out for surround
post #262 of 476 Old 06-12-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay35 View Post

I am watching espn in 3d now amazing!!!! I got rid of comcrap and got the new hr24 receiver from direct tv. The quality is so much better.

1 question I have is does it only output stereo sound thru hdmi into the stereo?? The installer said I would have to use the optical out for surround

I am currently getting audio via optical and a Comcast box....
post #263 of 476 Old 06-12-2010, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

World Cup 3D from Comcast is working here in central Maryland on Ch. 980. Thing is, I searched all day yesterday for the channel and it doesn't show up as ESPN 3D, just ESPN. When you go to the channel, it is in 3D. You may have to actually go to your ESPN channels in your area to find it, or have someone on here tell you where it is at.
post #264 of 476 Old 06-12-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay35 View Post

I am a recently 13 year ex-Directv customer and I can tell everyone that my Comcast is as clear and sharp as what Directv was/is. I think Comcast must have done something right in the last year because it didn't use to be this good. Even the SD stuff looks HD.

Don't know about the sound on HDMI as I always ran optical out of my DTV box. I did like the control that I had with the audio options with the DTV box. Can't do anything with it on the Comcast box and audio switches back and forth from Dolby to much.
post #265 of 476 Old 06-12-2010, 07:27 AM

Well, nothing is showing up, either on the guide or by direct tuning to channels in the 800's and 900's. Since I'm using a Tivo HD with cable card on Comcast Montgomery County, it looks like I may have a problem getting 3D. I'll keep researching the issue.
post #266 of 476 Old 06-12-2010, 07:28 AM

Thought I would add a quick screenshot of one of the matches being shown in 3D on SBS in Australia. Props to them for getting all games live and most in HD as well as 15 of them in 3D. I don't have a 3DTV so cannot comment on how it looks but it is interesting to show.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
post #267 of 476 Old 06-12-2010, 07:57 AM

I am watching the broadcast now and I used the settings posted recently. IMO it is just OK. The full field wide angle shots are the least impressive. Some of the other angles (behind the goal) are pretty cool, but overall there is a lot of noise in the picture. I can't watch it for more than 15 minutes or so. That being said, I don't think the regular HD ESPN broadcast is very good so since the 3D is building on that, I guess I can't expect that great of a PQ.
post #268 of 476 Old 06-12-2010, 08:01 AM

offline, neither do I, but from the screen shot you posted, you can get a 3D effect using cross-eyed stereo. Not too bad, you get some depth-of-field from the side of the field closer and further away from the camera.
post #269 of 476 Old 06-12-2010, 08:13 AM

Did you call Comcast and have the activate the channel? fyi, for me it is channel 898.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conversr View Post

Well, nothing is showing up, either on the guide or by direct tuning to channels in the 800's and 900's. Since I'm using a Tivo HD with cable card on Comcast Montgomery County, it looks like I may have a problem getting 3D. I'll keep researching the issue.

post #270 of 476 Old 06-12-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan_1 View Post

I am watching the broadcast now and I used the settings posted recently. IMO it is just OK. The full field wide angle shots are the least impressive. Some of the other angles (behind the goal) are pretty cool, but overall there is a lot of noise in the picture. I can't watch it for more than 15 minutes or so. That being said, I don't think the regular HD ESPN broadcast is very good so since the 3D is building on that, I guess I can't expect that great of a PQ.

Yes, representatives from ESPN pointed out that they would've chosen different camera placement if they were producing the event in 3D. The full filed wide angle shots make it impossible to get an impression of depth. Which is to be expected since we can't perceive much depth at great distances.

Ben
Engadget HD
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page