ESPN 3D Channel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 476 Old 12-07-2009, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Looks like up to 25 matches will be covered in 3D to be shown in FanFest areas around the globe and in cinemas after a deal between Sony and FIFA.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/techno...008787.article

Doesn't look like there are Fan Fest areas in the USA or Canada? (They're here : Berlin, London, Mexico City, Paris, Rio De Janeiro, Rome, and Sydney)

I assume this will be HD, or close-to HD, coverage (some 3D 1080i systems used 960x1080 for each eye, sending both feeds anamorphically compressed in a single 1920x1080 stream)

From what I've seen and read Football (aka soccer) and other pitch-based team sports are very "camera 1" based (i.e. traditionally covered from a fixed camera on the centre line, panning and zooming to cover the action) which doesn't offer as much '3D-ness' as some other sporting events. Touchline radio steadicams will be more impressive as you get more depth differences, and have relative movement between subjects and camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 476 Old 03-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know ESPN is launching their new 3D channel in June 11. As you can see from my name im interested for their 3D channel because i would be watching the World cup in 3D hopefully. However, i see no sources regarding who will carry this channel, so far i know DirectTV will be carrying this channel, but what about Dish Network and Comcast? Anyone know if they will carry them on time for World cup?

It's bit strange that ESPN announced their news about their 3D channel but yet it's rather unclear who will carry it on time and we are getting close to 2 months mark for the event.
post #3 of 476 Old 03-18-2010, 01:37 PM

Latest news AFAIK:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2360847,00.asp

Doesn't reveal who will carry ESPN 3D.
post #4 of 476 Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Latest news AFAIK:

Doesn't reveal who will carry ESPN 3D.

Ok thanks, I will have to wait and see. We all should hear something very soon
post #5 of 476 Old 03-19-2010, 09:46 AM

State Farm Home Run Derby Added To ESPN3D Lineup

Quote:

The State Farm Home Run Derby has been added to ESPN3D's roster. The derby, held each year the day before Major League Baseball's All Star Game, is slated for July 12 at 8 p.m., and will be played at Angel Stadium of Anaheim.

Fox and DirecTV already announced that they would be producing and televising the All Star Game itself in 3D.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...N3D_Lineup.php
post #6 of 476 Old 03-19-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The following quote from the PCMAG link does state that initially that the ESPN 3D Channel will only be availble to cable companies.
"
ESPN will launch its 3D coverage on June 11, with a broadcast from the Fifa World Cup in South Africa. This will originally be delivered to the cable systems via fiber, with 720p, 60-fps content. Satellite delivery and 1080p might happen in the future. ESPN has committed to 60 3D broadcasts in the first year.
"
I have read that DirectTV will be launching its own separate 3D channel but when and withwhat content has AFAIK has not been announced.

I beleive that ESPN will offeri their 3D channel initaily for little or not extra cost to the cable companies and that all of the major cable companies will make it avaialble for the the June launch of the World Cup broadcasts.
post #7 of 476 Old 03-19-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

The following quote from the PCMAG link does state that initially that the ESPN 3D Channel will only be availble to cable companies.
"
ESPN will launch its 3D coverage on June 11, with a broadcast from the Fifa World Cup in South Africa. This will originally be delivered to the cable systems via fiber, with 720p, 60-fps content. Satellite delivery and 1080p might happen in the future. ESPN has committed to 60 3D broadcasts in the first year.
"
I have read that DirectTV will be launching its own separate 3D channel but when and withwhat content has AFAIK has not been announced.

I beleive that ESPN will offeri their 3D channel initaily for little or not extra cost to the cable companies and that all of the major cable companies will make it avaialble for the the June launch of the World Cup broadcasts.

Can you provide a link for that quote please. It differs from their original presser that said 85 3D broadcasts in the first year.
post #8 of 476 Old 03-19-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:

"
"

Ok well, If that's the case then I should assume Comcast will probably carry it.
post #9 of 476 Old 03-19-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I worked on a show with them the other day. ESPN shot the Globetrotters event that aired a couple weeks ago in HD as a test. It was pretty cool to watch. The cameras were pretty cobbled together, but it looked great. The handhelds looked incredible. When they went behind a bench and had good foreground it looked amazing, The long lens cameras didn't really do much. But if you imagine yourself sitting up high, there really isn't that much 3D to be had in real life either.

So it will be interesting to actually see how the soccer turns out. I guess if they have a lot of cameras down low it will look cool.
post #10 of 476 Old 03-19-2010, 02:02 PM

OK - here's the PC Mag link and this was in it:

Quote:

Challenges also include the set-top box. DirectTV and the cable companies say they can upgrade most of their boxes, but Burns said that's not a sure thing. Local TV is not likely to broadcast in 3D anytime soon, but he said DirectTV was going to lead the charge, and this would lead the perception and the push for cable systems to move to 3D.

The original announcement on ESPN 3D:

Quote:

ESPN 3D will showcase a minimum of 85 live sporting events during its first year, beginning June 11 with the first 2010 FIFA World Cup match, featuring South Africa versus Mexico, ESPN and ABC Sports president George Bodenheimer announced.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4796555

So they went from 85 to 60 broadcasts?:
post #11 of 476 Old 03-19-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:

OK - here's the PC Mag link and this was in it:

The original announcement on ESPN 3D:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4796555

So they went from 85 to 60 broadcasts?:

That's what i mean. These information's are somewhat vague... I remember reading this and some more articles as well. You can get the idea that DirectTV might carry the channel, but absolutely no word from Dish Network the direct competitor to them and same could be said for Comcast/FIOS and Charter.

As you can tell from my username, I am waiting to see the World cup matches on June 11. I am hoping Dish network or Comcast carry the channel in order for me to see the 3D broadcast for matches... (I just recently canceled my contract with DirectTV)
post #12 of 476 Old 03-19-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCup2010ESPN View Post

That's what i mean. These information's are somewhat vague... I remember reading this and some more articles as well. You can get the idea that DirectTV might carry the channel, but absolutely no word from Dish Network the direct competitor to them and same could be said for Comcast/FIOS and Charter.

As you can tell from my username, I am waiting to see the World cup matches on June 11. I am hoping Dish network or Comcast carry the channel in order for me to see the 3D broadcast for matches... (I just recently canceled my contract with DirectTV)

SPECULATION:

From the announcement on the Masters in 3D

Quote:

The 3D coverage will be delivered separately from conventional 2D broadcasts from Masters rightsholders CBS and ESPN,

Quote:

The 3D Masters coverage will be produced by ESPN using the NEP SS 3D truck. Comcast will ingest the feed at Comcast Media Center in Denver and then transmit it to customers using the 1080i, "side-by- side" frame-compatible 3D HD format.

I have no access to DirecTV or Dish, and do have Comcast, so I too have my fingers crossed that ESPN 3D becomes available on Comcast.
post #13 of 476 Old 03-19-2010, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoholic View Post

I worked on a show with them the other day. ESPN shot the Globetrotters event that aired a couple weeks ago in HD as a test. It was pretty cool to watch. The cameras were pretty cobbled together, but it looked great. The handhelds looked incredible. When they went behind a bench and had good foreground it looked amazing, The long lens cameras didn't really do much. But if you imagine yourself sitting up high, there really isn't that much 3D to be had in real life either.

So it will be interesting to actually see how the soccer turns out. I guess if they have a lot of cameras down low it will look cool.

I have a sample of a basketball game, and agree, long lens shots don't really do 3D any justice. Floor shots look good though.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #14 of 476 Old 03-19-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

WorldCup,
Have you decided which make/model 3D HDTV you will be using yet?
post #15 of 476 Old 03-19-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:

WorldCup,
Have you decided which make/model 3D HDTV you will be using yet?

I really like Samsung C-7000 model, However i am waiting for couples things, mainly for the 3D ESPN channel whether it will be carried by Dish Network or Comcast, to me this will be important factor... At least it will get me started to watch some 3D content while i wait for some 3D blu ray movies to be released later. Also im waiting for the Samsung bundle, which sounds like a good deal to me. Earlier, I didn't notice about the bundle and therefore i didn't like the fact that i need to pay 150 dollars for a pair of glasses but with Blu ray player it sounds good (I mean you can always use the blu ray player on another TV).

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to wait for the prices to come down, C7000 dropped in price which is good. Not sure if im able to wait for the C-8000 model. I like the look of it but not sure if it will outperform C7000, if it comes around very soon, who knows i might be able to pick it up instead of the c7000.
post #16 of 476 Old 03-19-2010, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If I understand you correctly then you will not buy a 3D TV this summer unless the world cup HD 3D broadcasts are avaiable to you in June, makes sense to me.
post #17 of 476 Old 03-19-2010, 07:38 PM

I am a Dish subscriber and I've emailed the 3D question to them for the last Charlie Chat and Tech chat and gotten no response. I'm afraid they're only answer will be, if they can be pinned down, "yes, we're looking at it, but no firm dates yet." As I plan on jumping into 3D late this year or early next year, I don't really need an answer right now, but I intend to keep asking in the hopes that I'm just one voice among many spurring them on to develop the 3D firmware and to bring 3D online.
post #18 of 476 Old 03-20-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:

If I understand you correctly then you will not buy a 3D TV this summer unless the world cup HD 3D broadcasts are avaiable to you in June, makes sense to me.

haha, well. The bundle will be limited for certain time it seems, so i guess if I skipped it and got the TV at later date when i find out ESPN is coming then i will be stuck paying for the glasses alone and indeed I wouldn't like that

I am still considering all my options, I might probably get the TV with the bundle and enjoy TV in 2D mode of course while 3D will be viewable later at least i will be ready for it. I would have hoped that Samsung have at least one pair of glasses with the TV included, this would have make my decision clear but oh well
post #19 of 476 Old 03-20-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

SPECULATION:
I have no access to DirecTV or Dish, and do have Comcast, so I too have my fingers crossed that ESPN 3D becomes available on Comcast.

Excerpted From Broadcasting & Cable

Quote:

The 3D Masters coverage is the first live stereoscopic 3D broadcast to be carried by a U.S. cable operator. It will be delivered across Comcast's national footprint and will also be available through video-on-demand after the tournament. Comcast has no deals to carry any other 3D content in the near future, said Comcast spokeswoman Jenni Moyer, though the operator has had preliminary discussions with ESPN about carrying its 3D channel when it launches in June. DirecTV is the only U.S. pay-TV operator which has committed to deliver a full-time 3D service, with its planned launch of three 3D channels by June.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #20 of 476 Old 03-20-2010, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I have a sample of a basketball game, and agree, long lens shots don't really do 3D any justice. Floor shots look good though.

The technology works just like real life. The further you are from an object, the less depth it appears to have.

post #21 of 476 Old 03-20-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Excerpted From Broadcasting & Cable

Yeah, i guess that sounds that DirectTV could very well be the only one to carry it right on time for the World cup
post #22 of 476 Old 03-20-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

DirecTV has not announced that ESPN-3D will be one of the two 3D channels that they plan on launching this year in addition to at leaset one of their own and I have not seen any indication of ESPN-3D being tested over DirectTV in addition to the testing they have been doing with cable chanels such as Comcast. Depending on the license fees required by ESPN-3D I certainly would expect both D* and Dish to carry it.
post #23 of 476 Old 03-20-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Asking a provider when they'll carry ESPN 3D is like asking when they will add any channel, neither wants to answer until a contract is in place. Carriage agreements are negotiations and neither side wants to give the other any additional leverage.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #24 of 476 Old 03-20-2010, 09:53 AM

An inside look at ESPN's Innovation Lab

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/03/20/an...inovation-lab/

Lots of pictures - see link
post #25 of 476 Old 03-20-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:

DirecTV has not announced that ESPN-3D will be one of the two 3D channels that they plan on launching this year in addition to at leaset one of their own and I have not seen any indication of ESPN-3D being tested over DirectTV in addition to the testing they have been doing with cable chanels such as Comcast. Depending on the license fees required by ESPN-3D I certainly would expect both D* and Dish to carry it.

Oh ok. If Dish carry it that would be good then haha. I can understand your point about license fees. I will continue to wait, to hear something new. It would have been nice if we already know which provider will carry the channel so people go get their TVs on time. Speaking about TV, I read Sony will release their 3D TVs right on June 10 that is 24 hrs before the World cup or the launch of ESPN 3D.
post #26 of 476 Old 03-20-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

Asking a provider when they'll carry ESPN 3D is like asking when they will add any channel, neither wants to answer until a contract is in place. Carriage agreements are negotiations and neither side wants to give the other any additional leverage.

Well, We all know that ESPN already made their announcement about Broadcasting their first event in 2010 which will be the World Cup beginning from June 11 to July 11 and they did mention they will have an opening game match in 3D and will broadcast around a total of 25 matches in 3D.

The main question is obviously who will carry this channel (?). It will launch on June 11 so at least 1 provider must have it broadcasting for the people, not many people have cable/satellite, some do and some don't, the some that have Satellite... They might have DirectTV or Dish Network and with cable it depends on your state/area whether it is VIOS/Comcast etc... The way im thinking, i need to know in time before June to make sure im using the right provider that happens to carry the 3D channel and you know how Satellite force you to be with certain contract and the high fees just to get them, knowing ahead of time will also makes me go get the TV on time and the glasses otherwise i may as well hold my purchase to c7000 and wait for prices to go down for both TV and Glasses.
post #27 of 476 Old 03-20-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCup2010ESPN View Post

It will launch on June 11 so at least 1 provider must have it broadcasting for the people...

Not necessarily.

There were a number of HD channels that went live with zero carriage at that point.

Having said that, I don't think that will be the case for ESPN 3D.

If your local cableco is Comcast, I'd say you are in decent shape.

post #28 of 476 Old 03-21-2010, 11:57 AM

Some additional info via Engadet on ESPN 3D scheduled programming:

Quote:

Other events officially on deck (the plan for the first year is still about 85) include several college basketball tournaments and the ACC Championship football game in December.

post #29 of 476 Old 03-29-2010, 07:50 AM

DIRECTV to Launch ESPN 3D in June

Quote:
Washington, D.C. (March 29, 2010) -- DIRECTV announced today that it will launch the new ESPN 3D HD channel in June.

The sports channel will give the satcaster four different 3D channels in June. DIRECTV earlier said it would launch three dedicated channels for 3D programming in June.

The three channels will include a 24-hour 3-D channel which will feature movies and documentaries. Another 3-D channel will provide Video on Demand programming while a third 3-D channel will be a "sampler demo channel" that will feature a variety of content. The sampler channel will be free.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/d3d032910.htm

There's no additional charge for ESPN 3D, at least for now.
post #30 of 476 Old 03-29-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 74
See also:
Quote:
EL SEGUNDO, Calif., and BRISTOL, Conn., Mar 29, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Continuing to lead the 3D revolution by offering customers new dimensions in sports programming, DIRECTV will add ESPN 3D, the industry's first 3D sports television network, to its upcoming 3D lineup that will offer three dedicated 3D channels, including DIRECTV's newly named linear 3D channel, N3D(TM) powered by Panasonic. Launching in June, millions of DIRECTV HD customers will have access to ESPN's entire 3D programming lineup, including up to 25 2010 FIFA World Cup matches. ...
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/201...nationwide.php

Greg Lee
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page