Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 644 Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Stretch Armstrong is dated for 4/11/2014.

And I think we need a 2014 section now or at least pretty soon.

I'll just add them to 3D Movies in Preproduction as I have been with noted dates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 644 Old 04-25-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 32
47 Ronin's been changed to 2/8/2013

http://collider.com/47-ronin-release-date/161950/
post #543 of 644 Old 04-28-2012, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Oz: The Great and Powerful is S3D, shot with Red Epics.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1623205/technical
post #544 of 644 Old 04-29-2012, 06:05 AM

Liked: 10
post #545 of 644 Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Pixar's THE GOOD DINOSAUR (May 30, 2014) will likely be added to this list soon but it needs to be confirmed 3D.
post #546 of 644 Old 05-15-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

edit: I see you already caught it...

But Gravity is TBA 2013 now.

http://collider.com/gravity-release-date-2013/166228/

Boo!
post #547 of 644 Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

October 2013 - THE YOUNG AND PRODIGIOUS SPIVET - S3D likely, due to stereographer

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...pivet-20120516
Quote:

Given that he directed one of the most successful French films of all time, in the shape of 2001's still-delightful "Amelie," it's surprising that director Jean-Pierre Jeunet hasn't worked in Hollywood more. But then again, given that his only English-language picture to date was the woeful "Alien: Resurrection," perhaps it's not so surprising after all. Hollywood has come calling, of course: the director was courted to make films including "Life of Pi," "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" and "Mirror Mirror," but he's generally preferred to march to the beat of his own drum, with two French-language pictures in the last decade, the underrated "A Very Long Engagement," and the slight, but enjoyable, "MicMacs."

But finally, Jeunet is about to cross the Atlantic again: since last year, he's been working on a second-English language feature, a 3D adaptation of Reif Larsen's cult 2009 novel "The Selected Works Of T.S. Spivet." The film's now gearing up to get before cameras at the end of next month, with a new title, "The Young and Prodigious Spivet" (watch that change again, "Hugo"-style), and it looks like he's locked down his principal cast, with Variety reporting that Helena Bonham-Carter, Kathy Bates and Canadian character actor Callum Keith Rennie ("Memento") have all signed on to the project.

The plot seems like a good fit for the director: it revolves around a 12-year-old cartography enthusiast in an eccentric family, who travels across country hidden on board a freight train after being invited to the Smithsonian Institute. Young actor Kyle Catlett has been cast in the title role, while Rennie will play his father; there's no word at the moment as to who Bonham-Carter or Bates might be playing. Are there any fans of the novel out there who might take a guess?

Jeunet's bringing along many of his key collaborators from "Amelie" and beyond, including screenwriter Guillaume Laurant, while Demetri Portelli, who was behind the 3D for "Hugo," will act as stereographer. It might sound like a piece of whimsy, but Jeunet say it's actually fairly grounded, telling the trade that "it's a very touching story," albeit one with heavy VFX elements. Filming gets underway in Alberta, Canada, on June 30th, and an October 2013 delivery date is currently being targeted.

post #548 of 644 Old 05-17-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Release Date Announced for SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR; Jessica Alba to Return; Film Will Be in 3D

http://collider.com/sin-city-2-relea...a-alba/166990/
post #549 of 644 Old 05-18-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thought Dark Shadows would be out in 3D, but in my city it is not. I see it listed in other cities, though. Anybody know the story?
post #550 of 644 Old 05-18-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Updated graph with Wrath and Avengers:

If anyone knows the shares for Pirates Band of Misfits or Titanic I'll update it.
post #551 of 644 Old 05-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

Thought Dark Shadows would be out in 3D, but in my city it is not. I see it listed in other cities, though. Anybody know the story?

It is not a 3D movie and I would not trust a theater that says they have it in 3D.
post #552 of 644 Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/...el-to-300-2013

They have 300: Battle of Artemisia listed as 3D. (found it by googling 300 3D)

Makes sense. The cinematographer according to imdb is shooting Great Gatsby. The producer did the Piranha 3D movies and Immortals.
post #553 of 644 Old 05-21-2012, 07:11 PM

post #554 of 644 Old 05-23-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Paramount is moving G.I Joe: Retalliation from June 29 to next year, setting a date of March 29, 2013. At the same time, it’s converting the movie to 3D.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...liation-328758
post #555 of 644 Old 05-23-2012, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

That is really interesting. If it's worth their while to delay that long and convert, after spending all the money thusfar marketing, then it says something about the lucrativeness of 3D.

I first approached this news with cynicism, thinking it would never work in 3D, but then I saw a trailer- a lot of the shots look like they'd benefit from 3D.

Sadly, it's not native, and doubly sad is that it's just a GI Joe movie, so I'm not interested.
post #556 of 644 Old 05-24-2012, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

That is really interesting. If it's worth their while to delay that long and convert, after spending all the money thusfar marketing, then it says something about the lucrativeness of 3D.

I first approached this news with cynicism, thinking it would never work in 3D, but then I saw a trailer- a lot of the shots look like they'd benefit from 3D.

Sadly, it's not native, and doubly sad is that it's just a GI Joe movie, so I'm not interested.

IMO, after watching JOHN CARTER & BATTLESHIP bomb at the BO, Paramount has little faith their G.I. JOE will do much better, so why not invest the $5 million for a 2D - 3D conversion and release it in March 2013 when few big action movies get released.
post #557 of 644 Old 05-24-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=60339

Quote:
There's a lot of speculation out there right now as to why G.I.Joe: Retaliation was pushed back nearly a year. While Paramount execs are touting the financial boost of 3D, some film critics are insinuating that the move may have ulterior motives. Regardless, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has confirmed that they will actually be shooting new scenes for 3D rather than opting for a simple post film, 3D conversion. Also, there are reports that Paramount is using the additional time to actively pursue Joseph Gordon-Levitt to return as Cobra Commander. With The Dark Knight Rises and Looper set to release later this year, JGL's profile will surely be front and center to the movie-going populace.

Twitter: Dwayne Johnson ‏@TheRock
Quote:
It will be. Designing new scenes to enhance 3D. RT: @JimmyinGA: Was looking forward to GI Joe next month. Hope the 3D is worth the wait.

post #558 of 644 Old 05-25-2012, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Brave comes out on the 22nd. I was about to purchase tickets to the 15th showing, and it wasn't there
post #559 of 644 Old 05-27-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Life of Pi was moved up to 11/21
post #560 of 644 Old 05-29-2012, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

August 10 - NITRO CIRCUS: THE MOVIE 3D - S3D

http://nitrocircus.com/go/the-nitro-circus-3d-movie/
post #561 of 644 Old 05-29-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Awesome!
post #562 of 644 Old 06-01-2012, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

For those who aren't aware, ID4's getting a 3D release July 3 2013.
post #563 of 644 Old 06-08-2012, 06:01 AM

Not 100% sure if it will be 3D or not (though I assume it will be) - Pixar will be releasing "Planes" next summer. It is done by the same guys who made "Cars". I saw a teaser trailer for it on the 3DBR of "Toy Story 1" - the teaser trailer was in 3D hence the reason I'm assuming the whole movie will be in 3D. What I saw looked pretty cool - it was set on a navy aircraft carrier.
post #564 of 644 Old 06-13-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Collider went on set and can confirm that Abe Lincoln is a conversion.

http://collider.com/abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter-set-visit/172661/
post #565 of 644 Old 06-14-2012, 12:06 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Collider went on set and can confirm that Abe Lincoln is a conversion.
http://collider.com/abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter-set-visit/172661/
This really surprised me. The movie is being shot with arri alexa cameras, so I figured they were shooting in 3D. The YouTube 3D trailer looks pretty good too and uses lots of negative parallax. It had me fooled until I watched it in slomo after reading Collider's article.
post #566 of 644 Old 06-14-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, looked pretty good to me too. Proof that sometimes I can be overly negative on conversions in the pre-release stages. Although with Gravity, that is an exception for some reason. Cuaron and Lubezki's visual chemistry for Children of Men seems very well suited for trailblazing the 3D drama genre. Most conversions however are done in the style of "We won't change our very flat 2D cinematographic style for 3D, we won't allow it to compromise our direction! But we WILL convert it in post and give you gimmick popout moments and make $3 more per ticket!."

Anyway, I forgot that since that was just a summary article of their set visit, the actual interview is on another page:

http://collider.com/timur-bekmambetov-abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter-interview-2/172598/
Quote:
Is the film being shot in 3D or is it post converted?

Bekmambetov: We are shooting in 2D with—we made a lot of experiments and we understood how to do it. If you plan ahead, if you know what you’re doing then it even helps you to create the convergency. We’re using convergency not as a technical—not as a technique just to create 3D movies, but as a film language element because with the—when you are doing it in post you can change the world. You can use it as a tool to break the rules of the world.

Lemley: It’s not an afterthought. It’s not.

Bekmambetov: Like this can be in 3D. It can be far behind and be huge. You can change the perspective like in an ancient—icons. It’s a reverse perspective. Everything was closer. It was smaller, further away. It’s big. You can play with the reality and the 3D is a tool to play with it.

I’ve seen a lot of close convergence recently where the studio spent a lot of money on the action sequences and they’re all beautiful in 3D, but all the dialogue scenes are in 2D. You can take your glasses off. Will this have 3D dialogue scenes through the whole movie or you guys post converting specific stuff?

Bekmambetov: It will be converted. Everything will be 3D, but you understand right because there is no reason to—there is no reason to do 3D convergency for dialogue scenes because when you are fighting the distance means a lot. When you are in dialogue you have to think about it because if we’re talking, and I’m closer, it’s one—you have to use it as a film language element, the space. Then it has a sense. If it’s just because you have the 3D cameras and you have to shoot 3D and there is no—and you’re using still the same composition then it’s meaningless and then you can reduce. You can—my answer is simple. Nobody knows the language here. This language is still in development, the film language, 3D movie and the dialogue is the biggest—the traditional dialogues is the biggest problem because nobody knows yet how to interpret it in 3D world and we are in the process too. We’ll see.

Sounds like he wanted more editorial control over the blocking, as is the case with most pro-convert people. My problem with current conversions is that while it gives them precise control of the entire depth budget from near to far elements, I feel not enough time is spent on the believability and roundness of just the primary layer of focus, the foreground.
post #567 of 644 Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the links. I agree. Sometimes it's tough for me to overcome the bad-conversion stereotype and just enjoy the 3D and the movie instead of searching for depth errors and wondering if this or that should have been dimensionalized more.

Also agree that most 2D-3D directors aren't willing to learn how to shoot good-looking 3D. With 3D cameras and live 3D playback on set, they could at least see how the shot looks in 3D before moving on to the next scene. 2D-3D does allow them to change parallax levels whenever they want, but they could easily make those decisions ahead of time. Usually, it's not worth having to convert everything as making 2.99D for an entire film seems to be feasibly impossible.

Something interesting I saw along this topic, was that S3D movies can change their convergence in post if they shoot at a very high resolution like 5K with Red Epics, so that can't really be considered a 2D-3D advantage. Apparently, Underworld: Awakening did this a lot.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtmVWLBf_Eo

Also, with Gravity, I read that they are going to use mostly green-screened 3D CGI backgrounds, so that should help a little bit in terms of reducing conversion errors.
post #568 of 644 Old 06-15-2012, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I dispair when I read the interview frankly. Any Director or DOP who thinks dialogue scenes don't need to be in 3D are talking absolute tosh in my opinion. These intimate moments work every bit as well in 3D as action scenes do and their abject failure to understand that just goes to show how little they understand what good 3D is really all about. Not to mention the lack of consistency this switching from 2D dialogue to 3D action imposes on the viewer and the distraction that causes. To me this is a bit like grabbing the viewer by the scruff of the neck and pulling him or her into and out of the movie, depending upon the scene. I HATE this sort of 2.5D thinking where 3D is concerned! mad.gif
post #569 of 644 Old 06-15-2012, 09:14 AM

Yeah, it's rare to see a live-action movie with good 3D dialogue scenes, even among movies filmed with 3D cameras. I think the majority of directors are just so used to shooting in 2D that they employ 2D techniques. They fail to understand that over-the-shoulder cams of a zoomed-in face entirely in positive parallax with reduced image separation look bad in 3D. There are better ways to frame dialogue scenes--see Hugo. They've been discovered already. These scenes need strong depth too so the emotions look real on the actors' faces and the audience feels like they are in the room with the characters and connects with what they are saying.
post #570 of 644 Old 06-15-2012, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post

These scenes need strong depth too so the emotions look real on the actors' faces and the audience feels like they are in the room with the characters and connects with what they are saying.

Absolutely. In fact I would argue that when watching characters in dialogue scenes in 3D, the tinyest nuances are picked up, small facial movements etc that 2D cannot hope to emphasise in anything like as much detail. This is something some filmakers who venture into 3D need to understand!
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Finding Nemo Three Disc Collectors Edition Blu Ray Dvd In Blu Ray Packaging , Silent House Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Alice In Wonderland Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , Clash Of The Titans Blu Ray , Shrek Forever After Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Toy Story 3 Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy
Gear in this thread - Monsters by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page