The Official AVS 3D Film (First Run In Theaters) Topic! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 644 Old 07-23-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Are You Ready for 3D “Monsterpocalypse” ? (Tim Burton’s Latest Film)

Quote:

Tim Burton’s last 3D venture, Alice in Wonderland, did alright in the box office but people were upset by its lackluster 3D presentation. Burton is going to try to make up for that with Monsterpocalypse.

Unlike Alice in Wonderland, Mosterpocalypse will be produced for a 3D theater audience from day one. “Alice” was only transferred to 3D after filming had already been completed, in 2D. Monsterpocalypse Roy Lee quoted the film’s visual effects supervisor as saying that the movie was ideal for 3D “because seeing major cities destroyed and monsters fighting with robots would naturally lend itself to a 3-D movie.”

As its title would lead people to imagine, Monsterpocalypse will be about monsters invading Earth and creating havoc (or shall we say, an apocalypse). To further bring Tim Burton into the world of respectable 3D movies, the animated flick is going to be a Dreamworks production. Dreamworks is arguably the biggest proponent of 3D and its movies like Monsters vs Aliens have had some of the best, most authentic 3D presentation.

Monsterpocalypse is scheduled for release some time in 2012.

http://3dguy.tv/are-you-ready-for-3d...s-latest-film/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 644 Old 07-23-2010, 11:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Topic title edited.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #93 of 644 Old 07-24-2010, 06:23 AM

Liked: 10
I saw the first 40 minutes of the Last Airbender yesterday. I couldn't take anymore. It's kind of sad the Hollywood is taking mediocre movies and trying to get more milage at the box office by doing a 2D to 3D conversion. A bad movie is a bad movie. Making it 3D does not make it better.
post #94 of 644 Old 07-25-2010, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Marvel's THE AVENGERS: May 4, 2012!! Mark Ruffalo Is THE HULK!

Quote:

YES! This is the news we have been waiting for (other than official confirmation that THE AVENGERS will be shot in native 3D)! Today at Comic-Con, director Joss Whedon walked on stage at the tail end of the CAPTAIN AMERICA and THOR panel with the entire top line cast for THE AVENGERS armed with a release date - May 4, 2012!!

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...2012-mark.html
post #95 of 644 Old 07-29-2010, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Guillermo Del Toro And James Cameron Ready To Climb 'Mountains Of Madness'

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Since he left The Hobbit, Guillermo del Toro's next film has been a hot topic of conversation. I'm hearing he will next direct At The Mountains Of Madness, an adaptation of the HP Lovecraft tale that will be shot as a 3D film for Universal Pictures. The big surprise is that Avatar director James Cameron will come aboard as a producer.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/guil...-at-universal/
post #96 of 644 Old 08-08-2010, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

EXCLUSIVE: James Cameron Interview! Talks AVATAR Re-release, Sequels, 3D Conversions & Working With Del Toro!

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...iew-talks.html
post #97 of 644 Old 08-10-2010, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Disney Confirms JOHN CARTER OF MARS And FRANKENWEENIE Will Be 3D

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...-mars-and.html
post #98 of 644 Old 08-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Disney Confirms JOHN CARTER OF MARS And FRANKENWEENIE Will Be 3D

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...-mars-and.html

lol @Frankenweenie being filmed in stop motion BLACK & WHITE!

I'm sure as hell not seeing a black and white film in 2010 (or ever!).
post #99 of 644 Old 08-10-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

lol @Frankenweenie being filmed in stop motion BLACK & WHITE!

I'm sure as hell not seeing a black and white film in 2010 (or ever!).

Why? What's wrong with B&W? If used correctly it can be extremely effective.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #100 of 644 Old 08-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

Why? What's wrong with B&W? If used correctly it can be extremely effective.

I like color and I especially wouldn't pay the normal admission price for B&W.

I mean B&W isn't even using the ability of the three-chip DLP projectors so why would I pay for them?

I might see it if it were discounted a few dollars.
post #101 of 644 Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee stewart View Post

guillermo del toro and james cameron ready to climb 'mountains of madness'

http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/guil...-at-universal/

gasp!!
post #102 of 644 Old 08-13-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

New Trailer For AVATAR: SPECIAL EDITION!!

Quote:

Here's the new official trailer for AVATAR: SPECIAL EDITION coming out in 3D theaters August 27 (only 2 weeks away)!

Remember this re-release includes NINE extra minutes of pure CG action! More Pandora creatures too - like the Sturmbeast and the Stingbat. Hear more about it in my recent conversation with James Cameron.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...l-edition.html
post #103 of 644 Old 08-15-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
What I find interesting is that there are no comments here about double and triple dipping! The willingness by 3D advocates to be exploited is amazing. If its 3D we just give them the combination to the safe. Hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil!

Most of the 3D movies being released just don't appeal to me and I'm not going to see them just because they're in 3D! Final Destination No. Fifteen just isn't going to do it for me. Maybe the critics are right and 3D at best will be a small niche and at worst just a short lived fad - I hope not, but I don't think Cameron can do it all by himself with his double, triple and so on dip then dip some more methodology. I hope this is just growing pains and it'll get ironed out over the next couple of years.
post #104 of 644 Old 08-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

What I find interesting is that there are no comments here about double and triple dipping! The willingness by 3D advocates to be exploited is amazing. If its 3D we just give them the combination to the safe. Hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil!

Most of the 3D movies being released just don't appeal to me and I'm not going to see them just because they're in 3D! Final Destination No. Fifteen just isn't going to do it for me. Maybe the critics are right and 3D at best will be a small niche and at worst just a short lived fad - I hope not, but I don't think Cameron can do it all by himself with his double, triple and so on dip then dip some more methodology. I hope this is just growing pains and it'll get ironed out over the next couple of years.

I loved FD4 3D and can't wait for it to be released on BD3D.

I hated Avatar and will not be seeing the special edition that's only playing in 700 theaters btw.
post #105 of 644 Old 08-15-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

James Cameron, Piranha 3D actor Eli Roth speak up in support of 3D conversions

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/08/13/ja...in-support-of/
post #106 of 644 Old 08-15-2010, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hannover House and Red Bear to Develop "Terminator 3000"

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/han...k=MW_news_stmp

OOPS! . . . .

Pacificor LLC, the holder of the Terminator franchise rights, has halted production on Terminator 3000 – the recently announced 3D animated movie.

http://screenrant.com/terminator-300...r-niall-73588/
post #107 of 644 Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

The Avengers to start filming in February in 3D

Quote:

EARTH'S mightiest heroes will gather before the cameras early next year.

Superhero Hype is reporting that The Avengers starts filming in February 2011.

And Showbiz 411 says it has learned "definitively" that The Avengers will be shot in 3D by director Joss Whedon.

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/t...t-filming.html
post #108 of 644 Old 08-17-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

I loved FD4 3D and can't wait for it to be released on BD3D.

I hated Avatar and will not be seeing the special edition that's only playing in 700 theaters btw.

I feel the same way about both movies. Avatar to me was not a good movie by any stretch of my imagination. It was very, very typical. I went to see it 2x but my opinion did not change.
post #109 of 644 Old 08-23-2010, 08:21 AM

I went to see Hubble 3D in our local theater which has a 'fake' IMAX setup (IMAX-Lite I guess), and I loved it, definitely looking forward to getting that in BluRay. What was more interesting is that they showed a preview of Legend of the Guardians, which is a 3D movie about... owls. Yes, owls. In armor... What struck me is that that was some of the best 3D footage I have ever seen, not sure whether to be happy about that or be sad that they put such greatness in a movie about owls...
post #110 of 644 Old 08-23-2010, 06:39 PM

Saw Piranha today. It was fun and campy with lots of blood and boobies. Exactly what I expected. It was great seeing Christopher Lloyd playing a crazy scientist again and I hope Richard Dreyfuss didn't get paid by the line...
post #111 of 644 Old 08-29-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Warner Bros Buys Into THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY - Will Make It A $200M 3D Epic!

Quote:

An interesting rumor (out of usually reliable Deadline) has it that Warner Bros is buying a pitch from Bruce C. McKenna (THE PACIFIC) for a World War II Pacific theater epic THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY. Apparently it is being fast tracked and McKenna will deliver a script to the studio within 8 weeks.

$200 million is the likely price tag for the war movie that focuses on the turning point of WWII where Japan lost 4 of its extremely important aircraft carriers.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...of-midway.html
post #112 of 644 Old 08-29-2010, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladan View Post

I went to see Hubble 3D in our local theater which has a 'fake' IMAX setup (IMAX-Lite I guess), and I loved it, definitely looking forward to getting that in BluRay. What was more interesting is that they showed a preview of Legend of the Guardians, which is a 3D movie about... owls. Yes, owls. In armor... What struck me is that that was some of the best 3D footage I have ever seen, not sure whether to be happy about that or be sad that they put such greatness in a movie about owls...

I saw Hubble 3D on a full Imax screen when it was first released and agree that it was a great show. If you ever get a chance, make sure to check out Magnificent Desolation as that was another solid Imax presentation.

I saw Avatar 3D today on an Imax Experience screen (I'm one of the 23 people in the country who actually hadn't yet seen it in any format) and I must confess to being a little disappointed. There were a few scenes where the 3D effect really pulled me in (mainly the foliage on Pandora and the military briefing where the theater audience felt like an extension of the briefing room) but for the most part the 3D effect was so subtle as to often be negligible. The story itself was about what I expected; moderately interesting but incredibly derivative with a message that was practically beaten over your head.

Even the 3D trailers were disappointing; Tron and Megamind had virtually no 3D pop or depth at all; Legend of the Guardians looked better but all the extreme close-ups were giving me some eyestrain.

I'm now curious to see Avater on my 3D TV as even the few clips I downloaded and viewed in side by side seemed to give me more depth than what I saw at the theater.
post #113 of 644 Old 08-29-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I saw Hubble 3D on a full Imax screen when it was first released and agree that it was a great show. If you ever get a chance, make sure to check out Magnificent Desolation as that was another solid Imax presentation.

I saw Avatar 3D today on an Imax Experience screen (I'm one of the 23 people in the country who actually hadn't yet seen it in any format) and I must confess to being a little disappointed. There were a few scenes where the 3D effect really pulled me in (mainly the foliage on Pandora and the military briefing where the theater audience felt like an extension of the briefing room) but for the most part the 3D effect was so subtle as to often be negligible. The story itself was about what I expected; moderately interesting but incredibly derivative with a message that was practically beaten over your head.

Even the 3D trailers were disappointing; Tron and Megamind had virtually no 3D pop or depth at all; Legend of the Guardians looked better but all the extreme close-ups were giving me some eyestrain.

I'm now curious to see Avater on my 3D TV as even the few clips I downloaded and viewed in side by side seemed to give me more depth than what I saw at the theater.

It sounds like you may have the same problem I do and notice 3-D better at home on a smaller screen. Avatar didn;t really work for me, but everything I've seen at home has been fantastic. Go figure.
post #114 of 644 Old 08-29-2010, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss2d View Post

It sounds like you may have the same problem I do and notice 3-D better at home on a smaller screen. Avatar didn;t really work for me, but everything I've seen at home has been fantastic. Go figure.

Its possible as I also find the home 3D experience to be better with native 3D content; but it could also be the Imax Experience presentation (ie: Imax Lite) just isn't what its cracked up to be. I've seen plenty of true Imax shows and my fair share of Real-D 3D presentations and if my memory isn't playing tricks on me the sense of depth was superior to what I got today with Avatar 3D.
post #115 of 644 Old 08-30-2010, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

World’s First Demo of DLP® in 4K

Quote:

Christie®, the leader in digital cinema projection, will present a pre-launch demo of its new Solaria™ Series 4K DLP Cinema® projector line for digital cinema at IBC2010 in Amsterdam, September 10-14. Taking the lead with the world’s first demo of a DLP Cinema solution in 4K, the new Christie CP4230 features the enhanced 4K DLP Cinema chip from Texas Instruments (TI) (NYSE: TXN) and is designed to be compliant with the Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI) specification. It is the most robust and cost-effective 4K solution available today, based on time-tested, highly reliable DLP Cinema technology.

Built on extensive experience with over 14,000 digital cinema installations worldwide, Christie’s 4K solution incorporates the proven design concepts of the world’s best selling digital cinema projector line, the Christie CP2000. The projectors are the only DLP Cinema solution with the Christie 4K+4 advantage, which includes: Christie Brilliant3D™ technology for high performance 3D, Christie Pixel Track™ technology for perfect image quality, simple maintenance procedures, and the lowest cost of operation in the industry. For those looking to upgrade their existing systems, Christie also offers more options than any other manufacturer for fast conversion including the “15 minutes to 4K” upgrade process.

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/pr.aspx?newsID=2010
post #116 of 644 Old 08-31-2010, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

World's First Demo of DLP® in 4K

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/pr.aspx?newsID=2010

Awesome! Christie DLP is my favorite 2D and 3D projectors.

I doubt my Rave will be switching to these anytime soon since they were built like 3 years ago and have all 16 Christie 2K+5 RealD XL systems.
post #117 of 644 Old 08-31-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Awesome! Christie DLP is my favorite 2D and 3D projectors.

I doubt my Rave will be switching to these anytime soon since they were built like 3 years ago and have all 16 Christie 2K+5 RealD XL systems.

Would be a great upgrade for all those LieMAX theaters. They all use Christie projectors - 2 at each location.
post #118 of 644 Old 09-04-2010, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ridley Scott Talks ALIEN Prequel: What To Expect!!

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...quel-what.html
post #119 of 644 Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 PM

Hi all;

Counting my trip to Cinemark RealD 3D XD theater last week to watch the Special Edition on opening night, I have now seen Avatar 7 times in RealD 3D XD. I also have it in Blu-Ray and have watched it once on my smallish 32" Samsung 720p TV, with a very good traditional Yamaha/ Bang and Olufsen sound system. I'll comment on the 3D experience in a moment, first allow me to rave about the movie.

The Avatar Review:

The ONLY thing I did not like about it was the over-the-top evil capitalist theme. This coming from Cameron, who is the ultimate uber-capitalist!

That having been said, after seven trips and hundreds of dollars for tickets and munchies , I still consider it the best movie ever made. Not just the best sci-fi flick, the best movie. I don't lightly give it that rating.

It's a love story, an epic war movie, a sci-fi extravaganza. It has nearly perfect dialog, the pacing is flawless, each scene flows into the next. It makes me cry, it makes me laugh, it makes me smile ear-to-ear until my face hurts. I *never* fail to get continuous tingles during the "tame the Ikran and fly!" scenes. When Jake and Neytiri fly together I'm am literally moved to tears - *each* time I go. Perhaps my love of flying has something to do with it (I am a private pilot), or my love of mountaineering and rock-climbing.

When Grace dies, the flow into the "lets kick ass" speech to the Navi is perfect. Quarrich is the *perfect* tough, hard-to-kill, sociopathic military bastard, the role is flawlessly acted. Only Papa Dragon would have the courage to not give up when his ship in crashing in flames, get into a suit and jump free, land and get back to the business of hunting Jake - PISSED off and looking for blood.

The film is filled with great little touches like the way Proxima Centauri shows up in one beautiful shot of the cobalt morning sky - small, red and distant. The shadows of the moons on the gas giant line up correctly. The red-glow of the heat-exchangers on the Venture Star. The way 3D is everywhere in the movie - the pictures on the 'fridge, the computer displays, all are 3D. (Anyone who only sees the movie on 2D Blu-Ray would never notice that.) I could go on and on. I bet that anyone like I who is a total sci-fi nut with thousands of volumes of books will see the depth of the research that went into the flick.

The new footage, for the most part, makes the movie better. The Tsu'tey death scene also made me tear-up, and the new "hunt from the air" shots were great and made some of the original flying scenes make more sense. I also liked the quick shots of the results of the Navi attacks on the 'dozers - that pointed up how worried the earthers had a right to be. I only wish the new version had shown Jake hooking up again with his original Ikran after Toruk is set free. I told a friend who is also an Avatar fan that the new version made the love scene X-rated - he scornfully exclaimed "they did not!", but I told him I was not lying, it was X-rated if you were a Navi watching, but not if you are human!

And the music! By itself, it is not super-great. but when coupled with the movie, the resulting art is very, very powerful.

The Theater Experience:

As I mentioned, I've only seen it in Cinemark RealD 3D on the huge XD screen, with the Christie DLP system.

The surround-sound in the XD theaters is fabulous. The volume is literally deafening, but I use my Etymotics Research Er-20 Hi Fidelity earplugs http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx and the result is a comfortable experience for my ears, allowing me to enjoy the chest-pounding bass of the explosions sans pain. Sounds come from all directions in the theater, perfectly coordinated with the action.

As an amateur astronomer, I am a total nut when it comes to focus and clarity. back in the days of film projectors, I would be constantly banging on the door of the projection booth, demanding a re-focus. For Avatar in XD, the focus and clarity was flawless. I always sat in the precise center spot in the theater, with my head positioned along a line normal to the exact center of the screen. There was zero motion blur, no artifacts of any kind. I have to wear the 3D-glasses over my eyeglasses ( I am slightly nearsighted and only wear the eyeglasses at movies, which gives you an idea of how obsessed I am about movie focus.) Yes, the glasses make things seem a bit dim, but by the time the trailers for the other 3D movies were over and Avatar started, I was fully adjusted. Color depth was excellent, and I never saw any pixelation. No headaches or eyestrain.

In addition to the "depth" effect of looking into the screen, there is also plenty of "things between the screen and my face" - falling ash, insects, the heads of the troops and the Navi when they are gathered in groups.

I was going to go again tonight, but to my horror "Machete" had bumped Avatar from the XD screen! NOOOOOO!

Now, all that is available is RealD 3D on the smallest screen in the Cinemark theater, projected from a Barco DP2K-32B. I fumed for a while. I googled around looking, but the closest IMAX 3D theater is in Phoenix, 500 miles away. Too Far. Then I found some threads on AVS, and decided that I could do a service by going tomorrow and watching it on the Barco DP2K-32B and then posting my critique. After all, it still has to be at least a little better than Blu-Ray at home.

I do have one question. In the XD theater and on my Blu-Ray disc, the screen ratio is 16:9. But, I was watching a NetFlix trailer that seemed to be in Scope 2.35:1 . Any comments on this most welcome!

Steve
post #120 of 644 Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raargh View Post

I do have one question. In the XD theater and on my Blu-Ray disc, the screen ratio is 16:9. But, I was watching a NetFlix trailer that seemed to be in Scope 2.35:1 . Any comments on this most welcome!

Steve

Avatar 3D was framed and edited in 16:9. The 2D version was created in 2.35:1.

I disagree with everything you said about Avatar lol I hated that movie.

I'm happy that you are a person who actually cares about flawless projection at the movies. I only go to Rave Motion Pictures now after having been to Regal and a couple AMC theaters and finding everything there to be basically crap.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Finding Nemo Three Disc Collectors Edition Blu Ray Dvd In Blu Ray Packaging , Silent House Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Alice In Wonderland Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , Clash Of The Titans Blu Ray , Shrek Forever After Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Toy Story 3 Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page