The Official AVS 3D Film (First Run In Theaters) Topic! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 644 Old 09-04-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Sucker Punch needs to be removed. Zack Snyder has stuck his foot down - "Guys, there's no way that we can do something that's remotely close to Guardians, let's not every try."

Nice endorsement for Guardians though. That movie should look spectacular.

Also, add Transformers 3 for July 1st 2011 (native 3D)

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 644 Old 09-05-2010, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Sucker Punch needs to be removed. Zack Snyder has stuck his foot down - "Guys, there's no way that we can do something that's remotely close to Guardians, let's not every try."

Nice endorsement for Guardians though. That movie should look spectacular.

Also, add Transformers 3 for July 1st 2011 (native 3D)

Thanks
post #123 of 644 Old 09-05-2010, 07:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

Avatar 3D was framed and edited in 16:9. The 2D version was created in 2.35:1.

I disagree with everything you said about Avatar lol I hated that movie.

I'm happy that you are a person who actually cares about flawless projection at the movies. I only go to Rave Motion Pictures now after having been to Regal and a couple AMC theaters and finding everything there to be basically crap.

Heh - well, movie preference is subjective, si? Just curious, what is your favorite of all time?

I'm also glad you care about image quality! So many people just put up with worthless fuzz. Have you been to an XD theater?

One of my life-changing moments was a trip to see "2001" at Miami Beach in a huge Cinemascope theater when I was 7 years old. That pretty much started my love for science. I recall the movie looked sharper than real life!

Thanks for the hint about aspect ratio. I found this in another forum post, attributed to Cameron:
Quote:
For Avatar we're shooting in a 16:9 ratio, we're extracting a cinemascope ratio from that for 2D theatrical exhibition, and for 3D theatrical exhibition we will do, in the theaters that can, we'll be in the 16:9 format and the theaters that can't we'll be in the scope format. Because I actually think that the extra screen height really works well in 3D. It really pulls you through the screen. So I'm actually going back on years of kind of eschewing the kind of 1.85 format, now saying 1.85 - or actually, it's 1.78:1 - actually works really well in 3D. But only in 3D. I still like the scope ratio compositionally for flat projection.

BTW, I just got back from seeing Avatar for the 8th time. This was the first time I watched it non-XD (not counting at home) It was on one of the small screens at the local Tinseltown, seats 110. There was a disappointingly high level of motion blur compared to my previous 7 viewings in the XD theater, the most recent last week on opening night. The blur really bugged me! It was very noticeable compared to the XD showing, and the motion blur took away a lot of the pleasure of the movie. It was there even if I covered one eye. For example, it made it nearly impossible to see facial expressions of the characters when they were moving fast across the screen. Even so, I still teared-up when Tsu-tey died, and got plenty of leg-thrills during the flying scenes.

The theater had a flat screen with AR 16:9, silver. At first I sat in the left-right center, but below the vertical center, because I wanted to simulate the same apparent width of the screen compared to the XD theater. My reference for apparent angle is to sit at the spot where the left and right edges of the screen are just barely within the overlapping view of both of my eyes looking through my eyeglasses. However, for the first time ever at a RealD 3D showing, I experienced eyestrain and mild headache. I realized it was the result of my eyes being unable to focus on moving images, because of the motion blur.

About halfway through the flick I got up and moved back, to the spot on a line normal to the exact center of the screen. The motion blur did not go away, of course, but my eyes were not having to move through as great an angle while they tried in vain to focus on something that could not be focused on. My mild headache went away after 20 minutes.

After the movie I spoke to the projectionist, and he reported that the XD theater still has a Barco DP-3000 with 2K resolution (my previous post was wrong - he said they foolishly show the Christie add prior to the movies, all screens at this Tinseltown use Barco). The small theater I went to today has a brand-new Barco DP2K-20c, less than a month old. (My previous post was wrong). The XD theater will be upgraded this month to the new flagship Barco DP2K-32B, with the 4K DMD module. He said the Barco rep was there on Friday talking about the upgrade. Should be nice!

So, can anyone explain why there was virtually no motion blur in the XD theater with the DP-3000, but horrible blur with the DP2K-20c? The projectionist said that in both theaters, they use a single project0r, 144Hz overflash with a RealD "splitter" feed to the input of the Barco. The movie was bright, and sharp, just not quite as crisp as the XD. I use things like ear-fuzz as a reference standard. Is the old DP-3000 just better than the newer Dp2K-20c? Why would one be sharper (not just lacking motion-blur) than the other?

Again, all comments welcome - including derision of my love for a movie that spouts an anti-capitalist philosophy that I disagree with!

Steve
post #124 of 644 Old 09-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raargh View Post

Heh - well, movie preference is subjective, si? Just curious, what is your favorite of all time?

I'm also glad you care about image quality! So many people just put up with worthless fuzz. Have you been to an XD theater?

One of my life-changing moments was a trip to see "2001" at Miami Beach in a huge Cinemascope theater when I was 7 years old. That pretty much started my love for science. I recall the movie looked sharper than real life!

I don't really have a favorite movie of all time. There hasn't been a movie that is all around good enough to merit that title IMO. I have a few favorites in various categories but other than that no #1 movie.

My "most fun" 3D movie is Piranha 3D lol.

I haven't been to an XD theater. I go to Rave Motion Pictures Promenade 16 in Center Valley, PA. Cinemark and Rave are both Texas based but it seems like Cinemark caters more to the west coast for high-end high density locations? Rave is mostly mid-eastern US. They are 100% DLP and use Christie projectors but a bunch of new installs are going to be Barco.

The nearest Cinemark XD is 2 hours away so going there isn't really an option lol.

What is XD compared to normal DLP at Cinemark? At Rave their 3D screens here are 45-60feet wide when in 2:45:1 mode (smaller for 1.85:1 due to the masking of course). My Rave has 5 of these theaters.
post #125 of 644 Old 09-07-2010, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Thanks

Indeed, we should all thank any director who puts his foot down on conversions, lol.
post #126 of 644 Old 09-11-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I saw the new Resident Evil 3D movie today on a Real-D screen. To my eyes the movie and trailers had much more visible depth with Real-D than on the Imax Experience screen (on which I saw Avatar a couple of weeks ago).

As to the film itself, its a pretty pedestrian movie with the thinnest of plots. Not having really seen the prior Resident Evil films I was still able to follow the story though some things didn't make too much sense.

As to the 3D effect, the sense of depth is very good but anything coming out of the screen doesn't work particularly well and the illusion of ninja stars and other objects popping out at you doesn't really work.

The film also has a softness to it. I don't know if its a limitation of the projection technology or simply a case of the projection not being properly calibrated but my PN63C8000 yields a far more appealing picture and comparing 3D trailers such as Megamind between the cinema and the home, the home wins out easily with a much sharper picture and better overall 3D effect.

There was also a trailer to the comic-book inspired 3D movie Priest which looked quite promising and had the best 3D effects of what was shown; far better than the Tron 3D trailer which, even in Real-D, didn't have much depth to it at all.
post #127 of 644 Old 09-11-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I saw the new Resident Evil 3D movie today on a Real-D screen. To my eyes the movie and trailers had much more visible depth with Real-D than on the Imax Experience screen (on which I saw Avatar a couple of weeks ago).

As to the film itself, its a pretty pedestrian movie with the thinnest of plots. Not having really seen the prior Resident Evil films I was still able to follow the story though some things didn't make too much sense.

As to the 3D effect, the sense of depth is very good but anything coming out of the screen doesn't work particularly well and the illusion of ninja stars and other objects popping out at you doesn't really work.

The film also has a softness to it. I don't know if its a limitation of the projection technology or simply a case of the projection not being properly calibrated but my PN63C8000 yields a far more appealing picture and comparing 3D trailers such as Megamind between the cinema and the home, the home wins out easily with a much sharper picture and better overall 3D effect.

There was also a trailer to the comic-book inspired 3D movie Priest which looked quite promising and had the best 3D effects of what was shown; far better than the Tron 3D trailer which, even in Real-D, didn't have much depth to it at all.

Going to see the movie next week. Looking forward to it.

The resolution of Digital Cinema (2D or 3D) is 2048x1080. The images are being projected on screen sizes measured in meters.

You have a display that shows 1920x1080 that is measured in inches so you are always going to get a sharper image. But that will change when DC moves to 4K which will begin next year.

Quote:

Linear Polarization ? Dual Polarizer

If light is polarized in a single direction (north/south, east/west, or even oriented diagonally), it is defined as linear polarization. When one changes the orientation of linear-polarized glasses by tilting his or her head, so that the resulting orientation of polarization does not match that of the polarization filter mounted on a projector, there will be a loss of stereo information as perceived by the viewer. Nevertheless, linear polarization is a cost-effective technology that can produce excellent image separation between the left and right eye, for stereoscopic applications whereby head tilting is limited. Linear-polarized glasses offer an excellent quality-to-price value for stereo viewing with large audiences.

Circular Polarization ? Zscreen or Dual Polarizer

With circular polarization, the viewer can tilt his head and change his viewing angle relative to the stereoscopic projection display, because the light is not polarized in a single direction. As this high-end technology demands greater precision and requires a tighter match between the polarizing filters in the light path of the projectors and those in the glasses, the use of Barco high-quality circular eyewear is recommended. Easy to use and comfortable to wear, polarized passive stereo eyewear have no active components and are thus very affordable for large audiences.

http://www.tru3d.com/technology/3d_d...ection%20Works
post #128 of 644 Old 09-11-2010, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw Resident Evil 3D at the Imax in Simi Valley. It's a digital Imax, but by far it's better than the film Imax at Universal City walk. The screen is smaller, but they use two projectors that really light it up, so 3D movies even with the glasses look brighter(and sharper of course) than normal 2D movies in any other theater in the LA area. Parts of Resident Evil looked like they were a bit soft on purpose--perhaps Milla's aging a bit. The movie was enjoyable if you like the others.
post #129 of 644 Old 09-13-2010, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

James Cameron To Dive The Mariana Trench To Film AVATAR 2: Only Second Team To EVER Do It; Last Time Was 1960!

Quote:
"...(Cameron) is commissioning engineers to build a special vessel to travel 10,972m to the bottom of the Mariana Trench in the western Pacific. The two-seater submersible will be fitted with a heating system and 3D cameras to capture pictures of the depths for the movie, expected to hit theatres in 2014. Cameron, who has long had a passion for diving, is hoping to begin preparing for his mission later this year. He says, "We are building a vehicle to do the dive. It's about half-completed in Australia." If he is successful, Cameron's team will be only the second to ever visit the Mariana Trench. In 1960, it took a scientist and a navy lieutenant five hours to descend to the floor, where they spent just 20 minutes before re-emerging."

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...trench-to.html
post #130 of 644 Old 09-14-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Milla Jovovich: RESIDENT EVIL 5 Is Definitely Happening!

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...evil-5-is.html
post #131 of 644 Old 09-14-2010, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Reviews Of Werner Herzog’s CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS Starting To Come In...

Quote:

Cave of Forgotten Dreams” takes a fascinating 3-D journey into the inner sanctum of heretofore undocumented cave paintings in the south of France.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...s-cave-of.html
post #132 of 644 Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

2011 Indy 500 to be shot in 3D - IMAX 3D

Quote:

In the latest announcement about capturing sporting events in 3D, the next Indianapolis 500 will be filmed in full 3D. And not just any 3D - IMAX 3D.

Film-maker Stephen Low sees it as the perfect way to document the race for an upcoming independent movie about the Indy 500. It just so happens this year is the 100th anniversary of the event.

It will most likely be broadcast live in 3D as well. Previous Nascar events have been, and were watchable via live online streaming to users with 3D computers.

The entire documentary will be presented in 3D for the giant giant screen. It's the first time a major sporting event will be presented in the ultimate theatrical format. Although, it obviously will only be bits and pieces of the full event, but it's still something for racing fans to be excited about.

http://www.hdguru3d.com/index.php?op...news&Itemid=59
post #133 of 644 Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Watch: New Trailer For THE NUTCRACKER 3D

Quote:

Apparently this movie was released last year in the UK around Christmas? If one of you Brits could confirm that in the comments that would be great!

Andrei Konchalovsky's THE NUTCRACKER 3D has a trailer now (via FirstShowing) and a North American release date slated as November 24, but I have nothing absolutely official on it.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...racker-3d.html
post #134 of 644 Old 09-20-2010, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
3D Entertainment Distribution and sister company 3D Entertainment Films announced their current slate of films in production and in development, marking their long-term commitment to providing innovative and breathtaking 3D films to IMAX theatres around the world. On the heels of this year's successful launch of "Sea Rex 3D: Journey to a Prehistoric World," the Company is scheduled to release at least two titles per year beginning in 2011.

Included in the lineup are "Air Racers 3D: Forces of Flight" (summer 2011), "Patagonia Wilderness 3D" (Working Title) (fall 2011), "Time, the 4th Dimension" (wt) (spring 2012), "Kenya: The Big Five" (wt) (fall 2012) and "Turtles: The Last Dinosaurs" (wt) (spring 2013).

http://www.stereoscopy.com/news/index.html
post #135 of 644 Old 09-21-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Analyst: 3D Movies are ‘Not Hype’

Quote:

Despite flat year-over-year theatrical attendance, which some observers contend is due to rising ticket prices, one analyst said the percentage of total 3D box office revenue is estimated to rise to 20% this year, up from 10.7% last year.

Eric Wold, with Merriman Curhan Ford in New York, said ongoing nationwide proliferation of 3D screens would result in 50% more unit screens in 2011, which he said will generate increased revenue from higher-margin 3D ticket sales.

“Maybe not every movie will flourish in 3D, but the aggregate 3D releases will be an incremental benefit to exhibitors for minimal incremental cost,” Wold wrote in a Sept. 20 note.

Quote:

Indeed, the analyst said 3D represented nearly 85% of box office revenue for recent releases Resident Evil: Afterlife; 95% for Piranha 3D; 82% for Step Up 3D; 60% for Toy Story 3; and about 55% for The Last Airbender and Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore, among others.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/3-d...not-hype-20651
post #136 of 644 Old 09-21-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Promo Posters For SPIDER-MAN IN 3D, MEN IN BLACK 3 And ARTHUR CHRISTMAS!

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...in-3d-men.html
post #137 of 644 Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

IMAX investing in Laser Light Engines for Brighter 3D future

Quote:
Laser Light Engines, which develops super-bright laser-driven light sources for projection devices,announced today that it raised $13 million for development of a 3D-movie light source. Imax, a strategic partner, joined existing investors in the round.

The funding will help produce a custom light source for Imax theaters that is two to five times brighter than a typical xenon bulb used in projection devices — which would be particularly useful in 3D film screenings. Splitting a video into two separate feeds (one for each eye) usually cuts the brightness of the picture by 80 percent, according to Laser Light Engines.

post #138 of 644 Old 09-26-2010, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

CONFIRMATION! Mark Ruffalo: THE AVENGERS Will Be In 3D And Use AVATAR's Tech!!!

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...gers-will.html
post #139 of 644 Old 09-26-2010, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

THE 3D EXPERIENCE Report: Early Looks At TRON: LEGACY, TANGLED And MEGAMIND And What Happened On The Filmmakers Panel!

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...-looks-at.html
post #140 of 644 Old 09-28-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Christopher Lloyd Will Explain Time Travel In 3D

Quote:

Christopher Lloyd is set to play a time traveling scientist for a new 3D IMAX documentary. It’s not exactly more Back to the Future, but with or without a Flux Capacitor, this is as close as we’re going to get.

The movie is called Time, the Fourth Dimensionand it aims to use a mix of scripted silliness and real science to educate audiences on the dimensional complexities of our existence. The former Doc Brown will play an eccentric professor who, with help an assistant, explores and explains the dimensions of our world and the ones that aren’t exactly part of our world, like the 4th dimension and space-time. Pretty nerdy stuff.

post #141 of 644 Old 09-28-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
http://hollywoodinhidef.com/2010/09/...nception-next/

Quote:

Prevailing opinions at Warner are that Nolan will not enjoy the luxury of taking a pass on 3D for the new Batman movie, which will surely be set up for 3D from the beginning.

Also mentions Inception possibly getting a conversion for HBO's on-demand 3D movie channel.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #142 of 644 Old 10-01-2010, 02:19 PM

The October issue of Sight and Sound has a review of The Hole
(directed by Joe Dante) that is rather complimentary. This means that The
Hole
is currently playing in Britain. The director's use of 3d is mentioned and
lauded.

Sticks
post #143 of 644 Old 10-02-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

TOLD YA! New York Times Backs MarketSaw's Exclusive That THE HOBBIT Will Be in 3D and Jackson Is Directing!

Quote:
Looks like the time has come for vindication as the New York Times is reporting (thank you Michael Cieply!) that the trip there and back again will be in 3D. After literally YEARS of some folks lambasting me for suggesting that THE HOBBIT will be in 3D and that Peter Jackson will eventually direct the movies we have come full circle!

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/1...arketsaws.html
post #144 of 644 Old 10-05-2010, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Tim Burton Going 3D With ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER!!

Quote:

Pre-production starts immediately on the $69 million movie with a 2012 release slated.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/1...h-abraham.html
post #145 of 644 Old 10-08-2010, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Oz: The Great and Powerful in 3D

Quote:
An origins story titled Oz: The Great and Powerful, this film will tell how the Wizard came to be,from a circus wrangler to when a tornado landed him in Oz. Robert Downey Jr. is expected to portray the Wizard per entertainment website Deadline Hollywood.David Lindsay-Abaire is rewriting the screenplay. He also wrote the Pulitzer Prize-winning play Rabbit Hole, which he adapted for the upcoming film starring Nicole Kidman.Raimi, who created the Evil Dead horror franchise, is also set to direct an adaptation of the computer game World of Warcraft and the graphic novel Earp: Saints for Sinners, a sci-fi western mash-up.Considering the type of action films Raimi directs, Oz may not be in Kansas anymore. Similar to Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, it may take on a darker theme than the Judy Garland romp for kids.Production is set to begin next year on the 3D film, according to movie news site Collider.

post #146 of 644 Old 10-08-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/10/08/...-in-3d-huzzah/

Warner Bros. Kills Plans to Release ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I’ in 3D

In other words: “with the time we’ve got to make this happen, it will look like Clash of the Titans, and that was sh*t.” Or, if you want the kind version, director David Yates says “This decision, which we completely support, underscores the fact that Warner Bros. has always put quality first.” You have chosen well, Warner Bros.
post #147 of 644 Old 10-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Best news ever for 3-D fans, as a crappy conversion on POTTER would not generate any goodwill.

They do say that Part 2 will be in 3-D as planned though, and it's likely that the 3-D version of Part 1 will be released later on as a lead up. It will almost certainly be on Blu-ray 3D.

I'm glad Warner woke up.
post #148 of 644 Old 10-08-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

Best news ever for 3-D fans, as a crappy conversion on POTTER would not generate any goodwill.

They do say that Part 2 will be in 3-D as planned though, and it's likely that the 3-D version of Part 1 will be released later on as a lead up. It will almost certainly be on Blu-ray 3D.

I'm glad Warner woke up.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/1...-their-3d.html
post #149 of 644 Old 10-09-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

TRON UPDATE: TRON Night Announced AND ElecTRONica Opens!!

Quote:

First up is TRON Night (ala AVATAR Day). Disney and IMAX are teaming up on October 28 to screen 20 minutes plus from the movie!

I suspect it is the same footage I saw at THE 3D EXPERIENCE - and let me tell you, it is spectacular!! The geometric environments of the TRON universe and the astounding action sequences are going to leave us spellbound. The 3D rivals if not bests AVATAR!

You have to register at TronNight2010.com to get tickets and do so at 1pm (Eastern) on Tuesday, October 12. Not all IMAX theaters will be screening it - check the website's listings.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/1...unced-and.html
post #150 of 644 Old 10-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

meh I'd rather not have 20 minutes of the movie shown 2 months before release...
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Finding Nemo Three Disc Collectors Edition Blu Ray Dvd In Blu Ray Packaging , Silent House Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Alice In Wonderland Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , Clash Of The Titans Blu Ray , Shrek Forever After Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Toy Story 3 Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy
Gear in this thread - Monsters by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page