AVS Exclusive: How to watch The 2010 Masters in 3D online! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 109 Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Gae

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well they must have sorted something out since Wednesday beacuse with my 2.2Mb broadband I've managed to download 125 Mb of raw data in one stream and it's still going strong. On Wednesday, the stream kept cutting off and I ended up with several short clips of sbout 15Mbs and a few seconds duration.
Looking forward to watching this stream on my 3D system once I've downloaded some more.

Gae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 109 Old 04-09-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
I used nVidia's 3D Vision setup in their control panel to set up my PC with anaglyph glasses (yes I know it sucks) I had that came with Caroline Blu and it works just fine.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #93 of 109 Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 145
What native resolution is this webcast? I have to have Stereoscopic Player scale it to 1360 x 768 because that is the only resolution that my Samsung plasma will accept for the 3D functionality to work, but it seems like the resolution is 480p or something. It definitely doesn't seem HD to me. Also it seems quite blurry, and it seems that a number of the 3D cameras needed to have their lenses cleaned off, because they had water droplets on them. (talking about Thursdays stream).
post #94 of 109 Old 04-10-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
^^^^^^I agree. Looks very low res to me. I was about to be really down on live/sports 3D, until I downloaded this soccer clip, which is night and day difference from the Masters. Feels like you are there almost! http://3dvision-blog.com/stereoscopi...football-game/
post #95 of 109 Old 04-10-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I am not sure if the the webcast was MPEG2 encoded 1080i SBS or 720p SBS. However I am quite sure that in order to keep the live coverage bit rate down that the quality level of the encoding was not set very high.
The quality level of the live 1080i SBS content over my HD cable connection appeared to be a lot higher but I could not really watch it on my 2D HDTV.
post #96 of 109 Old 04-10-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

1280x720p, ~4Mbps.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #97 of 109 Old 04-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Gae

Personally I would have preferred a lower res with a higher bit rate. That way, the PQ overall would have looked better and more people would have been able to stream it with success. After all, most computers do a pretty good job of upscaling and 3D still looks great even at a lower resolution. I'm a bit peeved TBH because I downloaded 300Mb (30 mins) of the 3D stuff and all I could see was a break-dancing Camille Villegas.

I must admit though, the few seconds of smooth video that I did see really made you feel like you were out on the course. I play quite a bit of Golf myself and both the spaciousness and undulating quality of the course really came through. A few times though, the seperation between left and right image was humongous. At one point, while watching Rory Mcilroy walk up the fairway, the large seperation nearly made my eyeballs pop out of their sockets. Admittedly, the 3D does look impressive like that, but it's a bit too much and makes distances look very unreal....like through the eyes of an agoraphobic on acid.

Let's hope that the Masters website puts up some 3D video highlights online at some point. That way we can just download them at our own leisure without having the bandwidth issues.
Gae
post #98 of 109 Old 04-10-2010, 12:58 PM

It seems that (thus far) masters.com is providing us with two streams, both encoded using WMV3, the main profile of VC-1. Both are streaming 1280x720 video at 30fps. The 34369 stream (no longer posted on the masters website but still streaming if you alter the url) is the 4mbps stream (I'm averaging about 3900kbps), and the 42423 stream is the 2mbps one (I'm averaging 2100kbps). I had read somewhere that they were planning on hosting an H.264 stream as well, but I haven't seen it.

And I'm with Gae, hoping they make available for download some highlights at a higher resolution with fewer artifacts. Their primary (2D) streams look beautiful, and I would love to see that detail in the 3D videos.
post #99 of 109 Old 04-10-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 145
They should make a highlight video that can be downloaded, that shows off all the best action at the various holes that had 3D coverage. From what I understand, only like 6 or 7 holes had 3D camera coverage. Still, it would be awesome if they could do a highlight clip of all the best moments that were captured in 3D.

It would be good demo material.
post #100 of 109 Old 04-10-2010, 11:35 PM

The last two days of the Masters in 3D have been excellent! My displays are a Mitsubishi WD-65735 DLP & a Viewsonic PJD 6211 DLP projector with a 100' Dalite Hi Power screen. Computers are HP Pavilions with Geoforce 9600GT graphic cards and using Stereoscopic Player and Nvidia 3D Vision 3D Player. I use a 18mbps AT-
T DSL connection. 3D picture is bright and clear with no breakup. Resolution is more than acceptable. CBS has their act together in regards to 3D picture composition. I could not be more pleased. Location is Campbell, Calif. near San Francisco.
post #101 of 109 Old 04-11-2010, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6DTX2 View Post

CBS has their act together in regards to 3D picture composition.

I don't believe CBS is involved in the 3D broadcast; it's The Masters, ESPN, Comcast, Sony.

post #102 of 109 Old 04-11-2010, 09:21 AM

Thank you for the correction Ken. If I had to nitpick I would have to say that sometimes the picture looks a little soft. I would like to see this broadcast at a higher resolution for comparison.
post #103 of 109 Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

I don't believe CBS is involved in the 3D broadcast; it's The Masters, ESPN, Comcast, Sony.

Correct

Quote:

The 3D coverage will be delivered separately from conventional 2D broadcasts from Masters rightsholders CBS and ESPN, and may include branding from Sony and IBM, the Masters' longtime technology partner. Comcast and IBM will also work together to provide the same 3D feed over the Web via www.masters.com, which can be viewed by 3D-capable PCs with special 3D monitors and companion glasses.

post #104 of 109 Old 04-11-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6DTX2 View Post

Thank you for the correction Ken. If I had to nitpick I would have to say that sometimes the picture looks a little soft. I would like to see this broadcast at a higher resolution for comparison.

I agree the images are soft, and I also agree with others the composition could be improved at times.

The important thing to remember is this is the first national 3D broadcast, and as one would expect, it's not perfect.

post #105 of 109 Old 04-11-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Final round coverage is up.

post #106 of 109 Old 04-11-2010, 03:25 PM

Liked: 11
All I have to say is that this is spectacular.

I was at Sears earlier today and watched some of Monsters vs. Aliens on the Samsung 3D demo set up... It was cool.

But I just got over to my buddy's place who has the Nvidia set up on his Mitsubishi 60" and man this is really cool.

I am a golf fan and watch a lot of golf on TV but have never seen it like this. My only coplaints are the compression artifact and I do get some of the 'carboard cutout' effect.

I need to look at getting maybe the Acer H5360 but having a PS3 I may wait until all the Sony HDMI 1.4 stuff happens this summer...

I am mentally challenging you...so consider yourself mentally challenged

XboxLive Gamertag: SteelDr JJ

My Theater Build
post #107 of 109 Old 04-11-2010, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Please, any of the several persons reporting it looked good on the Sammy or Mitz DLP sets you saw it on.....you're like the first people reporting on these DLP displays for something 3D other than CGI Gaming.

For those for whom the images were really clean and clicking for, how did these sets do compared to the images on LCD and plasma you may have seen in Best Buy or elsewhere by now from Monsters vs. Aliens? Did the fast response time with the mirrors seem to keep crosstalk mostly at bay?

How was the overall resolution, PQ and brightness compared to what you/they were used to seeing in 2D? Did the owner of the set have to bump up his base illumination to the max to compensate?

Really exciting to hear from you about live 3D on the DLPs!!
post #108 of 109 Old 04-22-2010, 07:06 AM

worked great for me
post #109 of 109 Old 04-22-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I watched downloaded clips and I must say I prefer my Samsung's conversion of OTA. Full resolution as well as better 3D IMO. Hope they can make it a lot better.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page