Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 960 Old 10-28-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Kotaku is reporting that a forthcoming DLC add-on for Enslaved with include a patch to play the game in stereoscopic 3D. The DLC will be a standalone adventure featuring Pigsy, will sell for $10 (800 points) and be available "later this year".

Full article here: http://kotaku.com/5675564/enslaved-g...+player-add+on
post #273 of 960 Old 10-29-2010, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm on the fence about getting Black Ops for the 360 or PS3. I believe someone said the Top/Bottom is BETTER for 3D (which the PS3 will be using). The 360 uses side/by/side. I generally buy multiplatform games for the 360, but maybe not this year....maybe I should wait for reviews?!?
post #274 of 960 Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown88 View Post

I'm on the fence about getting Black Ops for the 360 or PS3. I believe someone said the Top/Bottom is BETTER for 3D (which the PS3 will be using). The 360 uses side/by/side. I generally buy multiplatform games for the 360, but maybe not this year....maybe I should wait for reviews?!?

I have the same dilemma as you; I tend to prefer the 360 for multiplatform games but in my experience T/B 3D does tend to look a little better than SBS (especially with 720p content, which would give 1280 horizontal pixels per frame in top/bottom but only 640 pixels in side by side). Unless the 360 version supports a higher native resolution I'll probably go with the PS3 version.

I'm doubtful the "pro" reviews will be of much help on this game as they tend to discount 3D outright. I'd be surprised if most of them even knew about the different 3D formats or had actual 3D TVs to test the feature. Hopefully some AVS members will post their impressions.

It would also be great if Activision released demos with 3D support of both platforms prior to release, though I'm not holding my breath.
post #275 of 960 Old 10-29-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown88 View Post

Yea I'm in the exact same boat but u can't wait for reviews the game is going to be to good to wait
post #276 of 960 Old 10-29-2010, 12:35 PM

HA HA!!! I have a DLP, so either system looks the same to me because I have to convert the signal to checkerboard anyway lol.

Can you really tell the difference? Even if you think you do, your comparing apples and oranges when using two different systems that use different formats.

Base it on your ability to play. I would suck on 360 having never picked up a controller for one lol. PS3!!!!
post #277 of 960 Old 10-29-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illogical_Mind View Post

Can you really tell the difference? Even if you think you do, your comparing apples and oranges when using two different systems that use different

Different folks have different tolerances for this stuff but for me, depending on the resolution of the content and the size of TV, I can see a difference.

For example, I have a 63" TV and the Avatar game, which on the 360 is 720p and runs in side by side mode. When in 3D, I can easily see more occurrences of jaggies and stair-stepping than when in 2D. Also, oddly, I find myself more prone to eyestrain when playing Avatar in 3D than I do with other 3D content, especially when I'm looking at an object that's popping out of the screen.

Invincible Tiger on the other hand supports both side by side and top/bottom and when playing the game in top/bottom the picture does look visibly smoother to me and I don't feel any eyestrain.

If the content runs at a high enough resolution then side by side isn't bad. I've got some 1080p side by side videos and even at half resolution each frame is 960x1080 before the TV stretches it so it still looks good. Maybe the design of Black Ops will be such that it will look good even with a drop in resolution but as a general rule of thumb, when it comes to most 720p content in side by side, the drop in PQ is visible to me.
post #278 of 960 Old 10-29-2010, 06:17 PM

I think the controller preference is more important than the difference in 3D formats, at least for me. I much prefer the 360 controller, so that's the version I'll get (plus it's the one my friends will be playing it). The only multiplatform game I've gotten for the PS3 is Batman, because of the Joker and exclusive levels. I imagine if your preferred controller is the dual shock that's the version you'd get.
post #279 of 960 Old 10-30-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmanias View Post

I think the controller preference is more important than the difference in 3D formats, at least for me. I much prefer the 360 controller, so that's the version I'll get (plus it's the one my friends will be playing it). The only multiplatform game I've gotten for the PS3 is Batman, because of the Joker and exclusive levels. I imagine if your preferred controller is the dual shock that's the version you'd get.

This is always my deciding factor too. I love that 360 controller. Even moreso for fps and driving games. I pretty much only buy exclusives for the PS3 because of this.
post #280 of 960 Old 10-30-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanite View Post

Ridge Racer 7 3D patch update available at PSN

http://www.gamepur.com/news/2051-rid...lable-psn.html

Unfortunately, this patch is currently not available in North America. I got the game today and after doing some digging I was disappointed to discover that it is only available in Europe and Asia.

I downloaded it from the European PSN store but it doesn't seem to work with the US version of the game as no matter what I did, I could not find any way to activate 3D.

No word yet on whether Namco/Bandai will offer the patch in the USA. If anyone has additional info on this I'd love to hear it.
post #281 of 960 Old 11-01-2010, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just heard the other day from Gamestop that Grand Turismo has once again been delayed until 1/1/11. Claim that Sony is adding some copy protection that will render the game unplayable if you try to make a copy.
post #282 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I'm pretty sure that the Call of Duty engine that Black Ops will be running on isn't even a true 720p. You know how Halo 3 was like 620p or whatever ? If I remember correctly, the Modern Warfare engine that IW made runs at a sub 720p resolution. I'm not sure if it ever got improved to run at a true 720p, but I'm guessing it hasn't. Alot of developers would rather layer a bunch of special effects on top of the visuals that require more horsepower, which requires the game to run at a slightly lower resolution.

This would hurt the 360 version more, considering the SbS half-resolution issue.

Still, multiplayer is likely better on the 360, so it's a tough choice. With redbox, you could rent both versions for $4, and get a good idea of the differences. You might want to wait and make sure that the 3D works from the beginning, and isn't something that needs to be patched in later.
post #283 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 01:23 AM

tried black ops earlier in 3d, and it was disappointing. Resolution looks really bad, and it's available right of the bat.
post #284 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipfit View Post

tried black ops earlier in 3d, and it was disappointing. Resolution looks really bad, and it's available right of the bat.

Which version did you try? PS3 or 360?
post #285 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Well if this is true then I will have to get the PC version.

Would you say the console version that you played had a higher resolution than the 3D version of Pacific Rift from the Sony website which was disappointing from a resolution stand point but a very enjoyable 3D game?
post #286 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I call here..Game isnt released til 11-9....Nice try
post #287 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:

I also have Black Ops for 360 and I have to disagree that it looks bad. It looks like....Call of Duty, for better or worse.

First, the bad....the resolution is definitely sub 720P, but it doesn't look terrible. If you found Modern Warfare and MW2 in 2D on the 360 to be acceptable graphically you will probably have no issue with COD:BO. I personally found the decrease in brightness when wearing shutter glasses to be far more annoying as you tend to miss things in low light areas of the game.....of which there are many. This bothered me enough that I jacked up the brightness in game as well as in the menus of my 63" Sammy C7000, with only marginally satisfying results.

Probably the worst thing I have come across so far is that when playing in 3D the xbox guide button is essentially useless. The game is in 3d, but the blade menu is not and is a doubled up, blurry mess. Don't think for a second that you are going to browse your friend list or send messages/invites without inducing a horrendous migraine.

And then the good....I was worried that framerates were going to suffer pretty badly since the game engine has to basically render everything twice, but am pleasantly surprised that I can't detect any performance hit, and I'm fairly sensitive to such things. Also....despite what Treyarch and Microsoft and the game menus themselves say....I can proof positive guarantee that BO does NOT require that you have an HDMI equipped 360 in order to enable 3D in the game. It works perfectly fine with component video on older 360 consoles.

Overall I'm fairly satisfied with the 3D aspect, but I'm reserving final judgement until I can spend some more time with it to see where it excels and what is subpar. I played it in 3D for about 2 hours before switching to my projector. 3D is pretty cool, but I'm much more used to gaming on a substantially larger screen. Once I have finished the campaign on my big screen and have a baseline for comparison's sake I'll play through the game again in 3D and be able to give a more informed opinion.
post #288 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 12:25 PM

Funny how various people are playing a game that isn't out yet....
post #289 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post

Funny how various people are playing a game that isn't out yet....

Marco and Icerat,

Some of us do indeed have the game already. As for my brief synopsis of the game...take it or leave it, as you choose. I don't post very often, but when I do it's usually for a reason and for the benefit of my fellow AVS'ers.

Regards,
Nillaz
post #290 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
There are official legit versions out there if you are in the loop but the game has also been leaked on the net for a while now so yes many people are already playing it (most illegally and will probably be banned from LIVE in the near future if they are playing MP).

Jason
post #291 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

There are official legit versions out there if you are in the loop but the game has also been leaked on the net for a while now so yes many people are already playing it (most illegally and will probably be banned from LIVE in the near future if they are playing MP).

Jason

Agreed there will probably be mass bannings coming the way of XBL in the very near future. The best part of that is that my understanding is the people who download it early and try to play online are doomed to frustration as all multiplayer servers are currently offline until closer to release date.
post #292 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the feedback Nillaz. The problem you're having with blade menus seems to be a common issue with side by side 3D as I have the same thing happen with the Avatar game. Likewise, whenever an Achievement message pops up, it too is distorted so you'll probably encounter that as well.
post #293 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Thanks for the feedback Nillaz. The problem you're having with blade menus seems to be a common issue with side by side 3D as I have the same thing happen with the Avatar game. Likewise, whenever an Achievement message pops up, it too is distorted so you'll probably encounter that as well.

My pleasure. I've already come across the achievement issue as well. I find it to be annoying, but not necessarily deal breaking. OTOH the friends list issue may make it impossible to play in 3d during matchmaking. I regularly access the blades while playing and not being able to do so comfortably or in a reasonable amount of time is a pretty bitter pill to swallow. C'est la vie.
post #294 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just read on another forum that the 3D (COD:BO) does not work via Component on Samsung 3D displays, HDMI only. Maybe there is a variance based upon which firmware is in use?

Jason
post #295 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:

I just read on another forum that the 3D (COD:BO) does not work via Component on Samsung 3D displays, HDMI only. Maybe there is a variance based upon which firmware is in use?

Jason

Am I wrong to assume 3d only works with HDMI period?
post #296 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well in Nillaz post above he stated this...

"Also....despite what Treyarch and Microsoft and the game menus themselves say....I can proof positive guarantee that BO does NOT require that you have an HDMI equipped 360 in order to enable 3D in the game. It works perfectly fine with component video on older 360 consoles."

but others are reporting that it does not...?

People are saying you can enable the sbs mode via component but that the Samsung tv's do not recognize the signal and will not process the 3D, only the 2D->3D option is available.

I have not yet tried any of the other 3D stuff that is currently available on the 360 (via component) as of yet, so I cannot say for sure one way or the other if HDMI is required for gaming.

Jason
post #297 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Well in Nillaz post above he stated this...

"Also....despite what Treyarch and Microsoft and the game menus themselves say....I can proof positive guarantee that BO does NOT require that you have an HDMI equipped 360 in order to enable 3D in the game. It works perfectly fine with component video on older 360 consoles."

but others are reporting that it does not...?

People are saying you can enable the sbs mode via component but that the Samsung tv's do not recognize the signal and will not process the 3D, only the 2D->3D option is available.

I have not yet tried any of the other 3D stuff that is currently available on the 360 (via component) as of yet, so I cannot say for sure one way or the other if HDMI is required for gaming.

Jason

Well we need to figure this out!! I had planned on getting BO for the PS3 because I do have the older 360 which does not have hdmi. I prefer to play on the 360 however.
post #298 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Website says HDMI is required for 360.

7. DOES MY XBOX 360 HAVE TO BE EQUIPPED WITH AN HDMI OUTPUT IN ORDER TO PLAY IN 3D?
Yes. Displaying the game in 3D is only supported via HDMI (this is a requirement of your television). Note, for 3D functionality on the Xbox 360, you must set your console to operate in the 720p mode.

http://www.callofduty.com/3D

Jason
post #299 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Kind of odd that they also expect you to explicitly set your 360 to output at 720p. Avatar for the 360 has no such requirement and SBS 3D works fine for me in that game even with my 360 set to 1080p.
post #300 of 960 Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Is anybody playing the PS3 version already? How are things looking on that one?
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Playstation 3 160gb System , Microsoft Xbox , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page