The Official AVS 3D Console Games Topic! - Page 13 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 972 Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrizzy View Post
Anyone read up on gt5 3d? Resolution, fps etc.
I think it's going to run in 720p. FPS nobody knows really. Reports I've read is that it looks good but the 3D effect is not all that pronounced. To me that's a good thing because a game like GT5 needs to look real rather than have stuff fly out of the screen and show extreme depth of field etc.

I can't wait to try it. 7 days to go.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 972 Old 11-17-2010, 12:38 AM

Yeah that is really annoying about 2k11. I would have just waited till now to buy the game had I known the patch would a minimum month and a half later. Can't wait to check out gt5 in 2d and 3d mode, hopefully the graphics live up to the hype.
post #363 of 972 Old 11-17-2010, 02:37 PM

I'm psyched about GT5 too! I've played Call of Duty in 3D mode, but I just rented that game because few games can keep my attention for very long. I wish they'd release a 3D patch for Borderlands... I've been hooked on that for a year lol.

But GT5 is going to be amazing. I've downloaded Super Stardust, Motor Storm, and Wipeout. Super Stardust I think is a great example of how cool 3D effects can show depth, like whenever the ship explodes it's amazing how it make it feel like it's exploding forever into space. And when one quarter of the big UFOs explode and the 3D effect makes it look perfectly like it's just that one side.

Motorstorm is fantastic too. I noted this in another forum, but I like that people are designing these 3D games with smaller screens in mind, because some of the 3D effects of IMAX movies (like any of the "chase" scenes") don't have the same impact on smaller screens and the 3D doesn't look as immersive as on a giant screen. However the 3D effects used in games do amazing jobs or recreating depth. I haven't played all the way through, but in Motorstorm when you get dirtbikes, the 3D effect is so cool. And the taunts where he turns around looks like his hand is coming out of the screen lol.

In Wipeout, the 3D effect is good, but not as good as I was hoping. some of the parts of it do look awesome, like when you launch missles and they explode, or when a ship in front of you drops the mines. One other 3D effect that I've really started to love is in that game too (and used well in Bloody Valentine), that's like the HUD. The HUG looks like it's outside, framing the actual image. In My Bloody Valentine, when the camcorder was dropped and a naked Jaime King was running away lol, the information like battery, time, etc again looked like it framed the main image. Cool effects

I'm going to look through this whole long forum, but what are people's thoughts on PAIN? I think the 3D would look cool but I'm not sure how much that game would keep my attention. And Hustle Kings, 3D pool sounds cool but I can see it getting real boring real fast.
post #364 of 972 Old 11-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

I just bought NBA 2K11 from Best Buy for PS3. The 3D is awesome on my 82" DLP. Just finished CofD so this is my next game. I normally don't play basketball video games but with 3D I will. I am a Lakers fan.

Going to get mine today..Sucks the people who already bought it .Have to wait for a patch...Move 3d ready this will be good.Me thinks
post #365 of 972 Old 11-17-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time in HD with 3D support is now available on the PSN store for $14.99. This is a remastered version of the original PS2 game which has been gussied up with hi-res textures and stereoscopic 3D. I'm downloading it right now (nearly 3GB) and will post some impressions once I've had a chance to try it out.
post #366 of 972 Old 11-18-2010, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Prince of Persia finally finished downloading and installing after 3 1/2 hours; since it was so late I could only play it briefly but I liked what I saw. Graphically, the game seems to have gotten a nice upgrade as the in-game textures appeared clearer and there were no visible seams that I could make out.

As far as 3D goes, the pre-rendered cinemas do not appear to be in 3D and appear softer than the actual game (much like the pre-rendered cinemas in the God of War Collection) but the game itself looks quite nice and exhibits a very nice sense of depth. There was also no visible ghosting that I could make out and I didn't notice any drop in resolution or framerate in going from 2D to 3D. Also, to enable 3D you only need to select it from the options menu and turn on your glasses; no need to fiddle with the TV's 3D controls.

While I would have preferred that Ubisoft simply release a compilation BluRay (as they are doing in Europe) I am happy with what I've seen so far and if the rest of the game holds up I'll definitely be springing for Warrior Within and Two Thrones when they are released as well.
post #367 of 972 Old 11-23-2010, 02:29 PM

Has anyone here played Gran Turismo 5 in 3D yet?

Unfortunately I preordered at GameStop who are release-day nazis so I won't be getting my copy till tomorrow morning. But... I'll be posting about my experiences. If anyone else has already tried it I can't wait to hear about it!
post #368 of 972 Old 11-23-2010, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The new DLC package for Enslaved: Odyssey to the West came out today. In addition to a standalone adventure featuring Pigsy, the DLC also includes 3D support for the game via side by side, top/bottom and TriOviz (which I believe is an anaglyph style of 3D featuring colored glasses). You can also choose the degree of depth. As with other games that implement 3D on the Xbox 360, you have to manually select the 3D mode from the TV's menu.

The 3D effect is something of a mixed bag. The sense of depth within the game and in cinemas that use the in-game engine is very good but the graphics, especially in the first level on the slave ship, can appear coarse at times as there appears to be a fairly significant drop in resolution (there's some really ugly stair-stepping on the floor grates). There is also an odd shimmering effect around parts of the characters, especially their hair. This isn't ghosting (which I really never experienced while sampling the levels) but more of a graphical glitch that could be related to the lower resolution. I'll be curious to see if Namco Bandai releases a patch to address it. The pre-rendered Cinemas do not appear to be in 3D.

I haven't tried the Pigsy mission yet as I was really more interested in the 3D but based on what I experienced, anyone who's thinking of plunking down the 800 points / $10 solely for the 3D may be a little disappointed.
post #369 of 972 Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit7319
I'm going to look through this whole long forum, but what are people's thoughts on PAIN? I think the 3D would look cool but I'm not sure how much that game would keep my attention. And Hustle Kings, 3D pool sounds cool but I can see it getting real boring real fast.
Do yourself a favor and ignore PAIN. Only certain "events" are 3d and the game just sucks. Hustle Kings is fun, even better if you have Move. I don't play it much but don't regret buying it.
post #370 of 972 Old 11-24-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post

Unfortunately I preordered at GameStop who are release-day nazis so I won't be getting my copy till tomorrow morning.

FYI, GameStop Corporate and employees can face HUGE federal fines and lawsuits for breaking the street-release date, so I wouldn't say its fair to call them Nazis.

I'm just waiting to get off of work so I can go pick up my copy. Hands down the most photorealistic video game ever, and 3D should only add to it. I'll post my experiences with it as well.

FYI, I just found an article saying that the PS3 has over 50 stereoscopic games on the way. It doesn't really say much more than that, but it is certainly good news. Perhaps game developers & publishers are finally starting to figure out that 3D isn't a rewrite of the game, its mostly just a post-process effect. And they've been over-doing the post-process effects for years (bloom lighting). Here's the link.
post #371 of 972 Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post

Unfortunately I preordered at GameStop who are release-day nazis so I won't be getting my copy till tomorrow morning. But... I'll be posting about my experiences. If anyone else has already tried it I can't wait to hear about it!

I think the default setting for the game is the best. If you try to increase the 3D effect you get some nasty ghosting, especially on the driving line if you use that.

Overall though, it's very well integrated. Menus pop out, and there's a nice, subtle, immersive sense of depth when racing. Not too in-your-face, but enough to really feel in the game, especially with the cockpit view.

Blu-ray = 775
post #372 of 972 Old 12-07-2010, 01:00 PM

I know someone has done this. I just hooked up my PS3 to my 3D TV. Initially I ran HDMI from the PS3 to the TV, which has an optical back to my (non 3D capable) receiver. All I got was 2.1 sound. Then when I ran HDMI through my receiver, I got 5.1 sound, as expected, but upon starting one of the 3D demos, the picture turned black and my receiver threw up some error code.
Now, I understand that since the receiver isn't 3D capable, I won't get Full 3D with sources being sent through that (my BDT300 is connected to the TV directly for video, and to the receiver for sound), but I somehow thought the PS3 does 720 3D, not full, so was hoping that would work.
Am I just out of luck and will I have to live with 2.1 sound by connecting the PS3 directly to the TV and have optical back to the receiver or is there some setting I should use for the PS3. I am pretty sure I'm out of optical ports on my receiver or I'd try to hook the PS3 up to that for sound.
post #373 of 972 Old 12-08-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladan View Post

I know someone has done this. I just hooked up my PS3 to my 3D TV. Initially I ran HDMI from the PS3 to the TV, which has an optical back to my (non 3D capable) receiver. All I got was 2.1 sound. Then when I ran HDMI through my receiver, I got 5.1 sound, as expected, but upon starting one of the 3D demos, the picture turned black and my receiver threw up some error code.
Now, I understand that since the receiver isn't 3D capable, I won't get Full 3D with sources being sent through that (my BDT300 is connected to the TV directly for video, and to the receiver for sound), but I somehow thought the PS3 does 720 3D, not full, so was hoping that would work.
Am I just out of luck and will I have to live with 2.1 sound by connecting the PS3 directly to the TV and have optical back to the receiver or is there some setting I should use for the PS3. I am pretty sure I'm out of optical ports on my receiver or I'd try to hook the PS3 up to that for sound.

You might want to search for a HDMI splitter device where you have ONE 1.4a HDMI input and TWO 1.4a HDMI outputs. I don't know if such a device exists.

Nothing in this posting/signature really means anything in the long run.
post #374 of 972 Old 12-08-2010, 02:05 PM

Did find an available optical port on my receiver so for now, this is the way I'm getting what I'm looking for (5.1 sound, 3D picture).
post #375 of 972 Old 12-11-2010, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Uncharted3: Drake's Deception announced by Sony and it will be in 3D.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/58...iler-Screenies
post #376 of 972 Old 12-13-2010, 08:25 AM

Any more on this game? How does the 3d compare to Motorstorm and Stardust? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Prince of Persia finally finished downloading and installing after 3 1/2 hours; since it was so late I could only play it briefly but I liked what I saw. Graphically, the game seems to have gotten a nice upgrade as the in-game textures appeared clearer and there were no visible seams that I could make out.

As far as 3D goes, the pre-rendered cinemas do not appear to be in 3D and appear softer than the actual game (much like the pre-rendered cinemas in the God of War Collection) but the game itself looks quite nice and exhibits a very nice sense of depth. There was also no visible ghosting that I could make out and I didn't notice any drop in resolution or framerate in going from 2D to 3D. Also, to enable 3D you only need to select it from the options menu and turn on your glasses; no need to fiddle with the TV's 3D controls.

While I would have preferred that Ubisoft simply release a compilation BluRay (as they are doing in Europe) I am happy with what I've seen so far and if the rest of the game holds up I'll definitely be springing for Warrior Within and Two Thrones when they are released as well.

post #377 of 972 Old 12-13-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWMAN5373 View Post

Any more on this game? How does the 3d compare to Motorstorm and Stardust? Thanks

I played a few more levels since my original post and my initial observations still hold. The 3D is all about depth as nothing pops out of the screen; there is no visible drop in resolution to my eyes between 2D and 3D modes; there is no visible control lag when in 3D mode; ghosting really doesn't seem to be an issue with the title; the pre-rendered cinemas are 2D but everything else is 3D.
post #378 of 972 Old 12-13-2010, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

I played a few more levels since my original post and my initial observations still hold. The 3D is all about depth as nothing pops out of the screen; there is no visible drop in resolution to my eyes between 2D and 3D modes; there is no visible control lag when in 3D mode; ghosting really doesn't seem to be an issue with the title; the pre-rendered cinemas are 2D but everything else is 3D.

Did you ever play Sands of Time on the original Xbox? If I remember correctly, it was a bit better than the PS2 version, so I'm wondering if this one uprezzed really looks any better than the old Xbox 1 version. Certainly, the 3D is a cool touch, so that does add some value, but if it looks only a tiny bit better than the original Xbox version, I'm not sure I'd want to replay that whole game in 2010, 3D or no.

Not that it's a bad game or anything, it's just there are only so many hours to play games, and I've got a ton of other games much higher on my "need to play asap" list.
post #379 of 972 Old 12-13-2010, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Did you ever play Sands of Time on the original Xbox? If I remember correctly, it was a bit better than the PS2 version, so I'm wondering if this one uprezzed really looks any better than the old Xbox 1 version. Certainly, the 3D is a cool touch, so that does add some value, but if it looks only a tiny bit better than the original Xbox version, I'm not sure I'd want to replay that whole game in 2010, 3D or no.

Not that it's a bad game or anything, it's just there are only so many hours to play games, and I've got a ton of other games much higher on my "need to play asap" list.

I did own the Xbox version of Sands of Time and going strictly on memory (it's been years since I had it) I'd say this looks a little better than that but not dramatically so as the Xbox always had a graphical advantage over the PS2. However, this new version does natively support widescreen while the original was only 4:3 so that's another advantage in its favor.
post #380 of 972 Old 12-14-2010, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

this new version does natively support widescreen while the original was only 4:3 so that's another advantage in its favor.

That is cool, if it's a "legit" 16:9. I'd definitely like to pick this up... when I can get it for $9.99. Or maybe they include it with Playstation plus, and I'd try out Playstation Plus for awhile.
post #381 of 972 Old 12-14-2010, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

That is cool, if it's a "legit" 16:9. I'd definitely like to pick this up... when I can get it for $9.99. Or maybe they include it with Playstation plus, and I'd try out Playstation Plus for awhile.

Right now its only available thru the Playstation Store in North America for $14.99; don't know if there's a discount for Playstation Plus subscribers.

Other regions include it as part of a Prince of Persia Trilogy HD 3D collection (all three original PoP games get 3D) which typically sells for the equivalent of $40.

Ubisoft decided not to sell the trilogy set in North America, probably owing to disappointing sales of Forgotten Sands, though you may be able to find a copy on eBay. My understanding is that it's region free and should play on any PS3.
post #382 of 972 Old 12-14-2010, 10:43 AM

PS3 Enslaved: Odyssey to the West : In 3D the resolution is really low and poorly implemented. Environment looks messy, characters has artifacts around their body contours. There is depth control but no convergence control whatsoever so the game has depth but no popout (ie for me popout also means solidity of objects which makes the 3D effects much more satisfying when used properly, some also call it "toy-ification effect").

By contrast, GT5 has both parallax and convergence controls and the result is a beautiful 3D game. Developers should implement both Parallax and Convergence controls to make 3D games not appearing as gimmicks to consumers, really.

I'm already not buying any PC games that has convergence locked and now not going to get any PS3 games that don't have convergence control.
post #383 of 972 Old 12-14-2010, 10:22 PM

any suggestions on how i can get my ps3 slim to recognize that its hooked up to my samsung pn58c8000 ? when I try to play super stardust HD it doest ask to put it in 3D which is a big bummer since ive eard this game is amazing in 3d
post #384 of 972 Old 12-15-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegun23 View Post
any suggestions on how i can get my ps3 slim to recognize that its hooked up to my samsung pn58c8000 ? when I try to play super stardust HD it doest ask to put it in 3D which is a big bummer since ive eard this game is amazing in 3d
If you haven't already, try redoing the video output settings on the PS3. Also, make sure that you have a recent firmware update installed on the PS3. I don't remember what version added 3D support, but it was several months ago now. I'm still new at this 3D stuff myself, but hopefully these suggestions will help. Once you get it working, try out the Motorstorm 3D game found in the PS store. I think there is a demo for it. The graphics aren't the sharpest, but the 3D effect is great.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #385 of 972 Old 12-15-2010, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

I just got my 3D TV and have been looking some games to play. Right now I do not have my PS3 hooked up to the net (never have).

So I guess this is a must in order to get some good games? Is there a game that is a must DL for 3D?

Thanks,

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #386 of 972 Old 12-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Motostorm Pacific Rift is the most fun downloadable game from PS store for me. Try out the demo, also in 3D.
post #387 of 972 Old 12-15-2010, 11:15 AM

So just to confirm.

Walmart has MotorStorm Pacific Rift but this isn't 3D?

In order to get the 3D one you must download from the PS3 store?

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #388 of 972 Old 12-15-2010, 11:40 AM
y2j

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankfoot View Post
So just to confirm.

Correct. And the downloadable version only has some of the tracks and vehicles. It is not the full game you get when you buy the disc

post #389 of 972 Old 12-15-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2j View Post
Correct. And the downloadable version only has some of the tracks and vehicles. It is not the full game you get when you buy the disc
Ok Thanks,

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #390 of 972 Old 12-15-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankfoot View Post
So just to confirm.
"MotorStorm Pacific Rift" is the older 2D game.

"MotorStorm 3D Rift" is the new 3D MotorStorm game (also has less tracks than the 'Pacific')
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Playstation 3 160gb System , Microsoft Xbox , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page