The Official AVS 3D Console Games Topic! - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 955 Old 06-25-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
FYI to anyone interested: the Sonic Generations demo on the 360 (and I assume the PS3 as well) has a side-by-side 3D mode that can be turned on via the options screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 955 Old 06-25-2011, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

FYI to anyone interested: the Sonic Generations demo on the 360 (and I assume the PS3 as well) has a side-by-side 3D mode that can be turned on via the options screen.

I got the Sonic demo on the ps3. 3D was done very well. Thx Tony. Also got the Virtua Tennis 3d move demo and that also was great. I swear these 3d games are getting better with every new batch that comes out.
post #543 of 955 Old 06-26-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern View Post

I got the Sonic demo on the ps3. 3D was done very well. Thx Tony. Also got the Virtua Tennis 3d move demo and that also was great. I swear these 3d games are getting better with every new batch that comes out.

With the virtual tennis do you have to have the Move or is that just optional? Sounds like I will have to download those demos...
post #544 of 955 Old 06-26-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decrypticshadow View Post

With the virtual tennis do you have to have the Move or is that just optional? Sounds like I will have to download those demos...

The demo only works with Move; but I believe the full game will work with a standard controller.

Developers are definitely getting better at 3D; this latest batch (Green Lantern, Sonic and Virtua Tennis) all exhibit minimal drops in resolution when going 3D and if the E3 trailer is anything to go by, Uncharted 3 also looks to be another solid 3D experience. It would be nice if Sony/Guerilla could up the 3D resolution on some of their older games like Killzone 3 as the drop in that one is pretty severe.
post #545 of 955 Old 06-26-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:

The demo only works with Move; but I believe the full game will work with a standard controller.

Developers are definitely getting better at 3D; this latest batch (Green Lantern, Sonic and Virtua Tennis) all exhibit minimal drops in resolution when going 3D and if the E3 trailer is anything to go by, Uncharted 3 also looks to be another solid 3D experience. It would be nice if Sony/Guerilla could up the 3D resolution on some of their older games like Killzone 3 as the drop in that one is pretty severe.

Yes UC3 is definitely on my must have list. I don't know if Guerilla would release a increased 3d graphics update, it would be a big job, but it would be nice. BTW move controls work great with Virtua Tennis 4 & TRU gots it on sale for $24.99 and F/S http://www.toysrus.com/search/index....rtual-Tennis-4
post #546 of 955 Old 07-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Anyone know if Arkham City will have true stereoscopic 3D? If so, it will most likely be on PS3 and if so, that's the version I will get.
post #547 of 955 Old 07-04-2011, 09:30 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

i dlded both demos for the 360 and ps3 and to me the ps3 version is at a higher resolution when ran in 3d mode. They are both sbs but the ps3 has a a huge edge over the 360 in the looks department. I've enjoyed the demo on both systems but probally will wait for a major price drop if this ends up being a disc title. I know its a wip but both demos had terrible framerates regardless of the dimension hopefully they can cure that without losing too much resolution while playing in 3d.
post #548 of 955 Old 07-04-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyDetrakD View Post

i dlded both demos for the 360 and ps3 and to me the ps3 version is at a higher resolution when ran in 3d mode. They are both sbs but the ps3 has a a huge edge over the 360 in the looks department. I've enjoyed the demo on both systems but probally will wait for a major price drop if this ends up being a disc title. I know its a wip but both demos had terrible framerates regardless of the dimension hopefully they can cure that without losing too much resolution while playing in 3d.

Thx CyDetrak, that is good to know. Most cross-platform games the Xbox gets the better graphics & frame-rate in both 2d & 3d, blackOps and Crysis 2 are prime examples. But the PS3 exclusives in 3d blow all the 360 3d tittles away!
post #549 of 955 Old 07-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Is there any consensus on which 3D game is the best for showcasing 3D?

I want to show a 3D game on a 92" TV. I am open to using any console.

I was thinking Crysis2 (being a PC gamer I know the game is awesome) but wasnt sure how the 3D looked.
post #550 of 955 Old 07-05-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threatmatrix

I was thinking Crysis2 (being a PC gamer I know the game is awesome) but wasnt sure how the 3D looked.
Motorstorm 3D Rift and Apocolypse, and Super Stardust HD are my favorites.Avatar the game looks excellent in 3D as well, but its not that great of a game.
post #551 of 955 Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threatmatrix View Post

To me the best showcase overall for console 3d gaming at the moment has to be Killzone 3 even with the little bit of ghosting in the beginning and some of the cutscenes. It was designed for 3d from the ground up and there are some truly amazing sections that will make you proud to own a 3dtv.

Crysis 2 looks good and doesn't lower the resolution as much as kz3 but the manner they implement 3d is almost like a conversion i read. The best game on the 360 to me that shows 3d is an indie title others have mentioned in this thread called "3d Infinity".

I own all the 3d capable titles for ps3 even though i read Avatar and Enslaved preform better on the 360 but both of those titles were buy one get one free Amz sale last year. Blackops i got for ps3 cause all my friends got it for ps3 instead but to me the 3d on that is about as good as Sly Cooper Collection in 3d which isn't very good.
post #552 of 955 Old 07-05-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't mean to sound like a negative nancy but if Killzone 3 was designed from the ground up to be in 3D then it shouldn't have suffered from those horrible ghosting problems and such a visibly drastic reduction in resolution. It had some neat 3D effects but on my 63" plasma the game looked far too coarse and visibly low-res, so much so that I ended up playing it using my TV's 2D>3D mode which, while not quite as good, erased all of the ghosting and maintained the 720p level visuals.

For me, CoD: Black Ops, Avatar, SOCOM 4, Tron: Evolution and even the recent Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters all had far better looking native 3D implementations. Looking forward, Uncharted 3 will hopefully raise the 3D bar further.
post #553 of 955 Old 07-05-2011, 03:07 PM

it appears there is no clear cut winner, as several people mentioned different titles.
Based on reading the last several pages alot of people rated the SOCOM4 highly. I will probably go with that one.
post #554 of 955 Old 07-05-2011, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it appears there is no clear cut winner, as several people mentioned different titles.
Based on reading the last several pages alot of people rated the SOCOM4 highly. I will probably go with that one.

Just be aware that SOCOM4 is a very strategic shooter that requires you to manage multiple team members (ala Ghost Recon or Rainbox Six) in many of its missions. It really isn't a pick up and play game and if you go into it with a first person shooter, run and gun mentality you'll get ripped apart quickly.

In terms of pure eye candy, my vote would go to Avatar for the Xbox 360. The gameplay is your standard 3rd person fare but there are areas in the game where your character walks thru foliage and the amount of depth and pop is really amazing.

Gran Tourismo 5 has a very good 3D mode that runs in 720p; you have to tweak the convergence and parallax settings to your TV but once you dial it in it also provides lots of eye candy.

Finally, 3D Infinity is an XBLA Indie game that only costs $5; it features a side by side mode that also looks great. Definitely a low cost way to sample 3D gaming.
post #555 of 955 Old 07-06-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threatmatrix
Motorstorm Apocalypse 3d for eye candy. Socom4 looks great in 3d but the 3d doesn't add much to the gameplay which the gameplay by itself is great.

BTW u can try Motorstorm Rift 3d from PSN for I think $5 or $10 and it is absolutely beautiful, even higher resolution than Apocalypse, Apocalypse just has more environmental chaos going on, buildings collapsing and bodies and debris flying toward you, all great for 3d. All my friends are the most impressed by the 2 Motorstorms.
post #556 of 955 Old 07-11-2011, 03:11 PM

Played the uncharted 3 beta in 3d. Looks pretty dang sweet can't wait to play the single player.
post #557 of 955 Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegun23 View Post

Played the uncharted 3 beta in 3d. Looks pretty dang sweet can't wait to play the single player.

Agreed, it seems the devs are getting better at producing 3d games with every new game released.

It does look great but I'm still waiting for an innovative way to use 3d in gaming. But I think that it would need a game developed to be playable only in 3d, and to use the aspects of 3d in the gameplay itself and not just visuals.
post #558 of 955 Old 07-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I don't mean to sound like a negative nancy but if Killzone 3 was designed from the ground up to be in 3D then it shouldn't have suffered from those horrible ghosting problems and such a visibly drastic reduction in resolution.

Whether or not it was designed around 3D, you always get GPU power vs 3D resolution balance you have to keep. 3D takes a large gouge out of the GPU, especially that old nVidia on the PS3. To retain any nice effects, shading and lighting effects, the resolution is going to suffer drastically on that GPU. As for the ghosting, I have no comments
post #559 of 955 Old 07-14-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaz View Post

Whether or not it was designed around 3D, you always get GPU power vs 3D resolution balance you have to keep. 3D takes a large gouge out of the GPU, especially that old nVidia on the PS3. To retain any nice effects, shading and lighting effects, the resolution is going to suffer drastically on that GPU. As for the ghosting, I have no comments

It all comes down to personal preference of course, but I'd rather have a higher resolution even at the cost of some video effect. A smooth image is far less distracting to me than jaggy visuals.
post #560 of 955 Old 07-14-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I don't mean to sound like a negative nancy but if Killzone 3 was designed from the ground up to be in 3D then it shouldn't have suffered from those horrible ghosting problems and such a visibly drastic reduction in resolution.

Crosstalk is usually inevitable particularly on high contrast games. If your TV or the game had a convergence menu option you could adjust the focus to the middleground to reduce crosstalk on distant objects at the cost of depth and scale.

About the resolution hit: it's what usually happens when a game is already pushing the system's limits in 2D.

They both boil down to limitations of hardware- be it the display or the game console, not the game designers. You're not going to achieve HD-res 3D unless you lower the bar on your 2D version, or use conversion trickery (which looked PRETTY convincing most of the time in Socom).

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #561 of 955 Old 07-20-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:

I don't mean to sound like a negative nancy but if Killzone 3 was designed from the ground up to be in 3D then it shouldn't have suffered from those horrible ghosting problems and such a visibly drastic reduction in resolution. It had some neat 3D effects but on my 63" plasma the game looked far too coarse and visibly low-res, so much so that I ended up playing it using my TV's 2D>3D mode which, while not quite as good, erased all of the ghosting and maintained the 720p level visuals.

For me, CoD: Black Ops, Avatar, SOCOM 4, Tron: Evolution and even the recent Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters all had far better looking native 3D implementations. Looking forward, Uncharted 3 will hopefully raise the 3D bar further.

I gotta say I was thinking the same thing in regards to killzone 3 yesterday. I just had my 3d set installed yesterday and tried killzone 3 in 3D online. The resolution hit it took is horrible. Also I don't know if it was because of how bad it looks compared to the 2d version but I was having a hard time playing the game at all. Like when I lined up a target it took me at least 2 seconds to pull the trigger because I wasn't sure if I had him lined up right even tho the reticule was red. That game is just plain wonky in 3d!

1080p to each eye half of the time...
540p to each eye all of the time...
I didn't notice any drop in quality....
post #562 of 955 Old 07-25-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Can we get a new sticky for 3D games where someone takes on the responsibility to update a list of current 3D games and their platform? This current topic remaining a sticky is pretty much worthless.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #563 of 955 Old 07-30-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I looked for this demo and couldn't find it on live. Any idea where this is hiding on the 360. I looked around quite a bit I must be missing something?
post #564 of 955 Old 07-30-2011, 07:09 AM

The Sonic game was a timed demo on both PS3 and 360. They took it down after 30 days or so.
post #565 of 955 Old 08-07-2011, 05:25 AM

3D Infinity via Indie games is one of the best examples of 3D as is Avatar.
post #566 of 955 Old 08-07-2011, 05:31 AM

To add - if anyone is after a complete list of Xbox 360 3D game reviews then check the link. I think they have all games covered bar one or two.
post #567 of 955 Old 08-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the thread. That is the only site I know that specifically reviews 3D
post #568 of 955 Old 08-09-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post

Can we get a new sticky for 3D games where someone takes on the responsibility to update a list of current 3D games and their platform? This current topic remaining a sticky is pretty much worthless.

Are you volunteering? I'm confident if you start it, it will get stickied.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #569 of 955 Old 08-10-2011, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Overall, I am dissatisfied with Crysis 2 in the 3D mode. The resolution is good but too much ghosting IMHO and this is on a 2011 Panasonic VT model.

Maybe less on a passive system.

The game on the PC is fantastic, especially with direct 11 patch installed.

Can't get the 3D to work; may need the Nvidia system to work.

Wanted to download the high rez texture patch but you need a 64 bit system to make it work.

Once I finish the game I will convert the system to 64 bit since both are available on my windows vista disc.
post #570 of 955 Old 08-10-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager

Overall, I am dissatisfied with Crysis 2 in the 3D mode. The resolution is good but too much ghosting IMHO and this is on a 2011 Panasonic VT model.

Maybe less on a passive system.

The game on the PC is fantastic, especially with direct 11 patch installed.

Can't get the 3D to work; may need the Nvidia system to work.

Wanted to download the high rez texture patch but you need a 64 bit system to make it work.

Once I finish the game I will convert the system to 64 bit since both are available on my windows vista disc.
I just got Crysis 2 for PC with high Res and Direct x11 and holy crap what a visual feast. I have it for ps3 also but stopped playing it b/c just built my new gaming PC. Graphics are so good it looks stereoscopic 3d even when it's in 2d 1080p.

If you are using ATI cards I read you can Get 3D options working by adding r_StereoSupportAMD=1 to my system.cfg file. If using 3dtv like me you just need to use side by side mode.

But like I said the graphics are so advanced that you get the 3d window effect while using a higher def 2d. But my PC is playing at all graphics settings maxed to ultra, high Res, direct x11, & vsync on, all playing at 60-90 FPS 1920x1080.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Playstation 3 160gb System , Microsoft Xbox , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page