AVS Forum banner
123K views 979 replies 202 participants last post by  TonyDP 
#1 ·
I just thought since we have a Blu Ray 3D release date page (and only a few of those) and since there is a lot of PS3 3D update stuff that we should have a 3D console games thread (XBOX 360 included). Not a lot out there yet but I think it's as good of time as any to start this.

Well since I own a XBOX 360 so I'll start with those.

1. Avatar the game - supports a few different 3D formats including checkerboard, Already available

PS3 and XBOX 360

2. Invincible Tiger - supports a few different 3D formats including checkerboard, Already available

PS3 and XBOX 360 - can be downloaded from there networks

3. 3D infinity - supports anaglyph and side by side, Already available

XBOX 360 indie game - can be downloaded from network (not sure if this available from PS3)

Anyway these are the ones I know of if anyone has any others please post and let us know what we got to game with in 3D. Also any release dates of any up and coming 3D games would be appreciated also.

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18723598

I know because there are currently only 2 stereoscopic games on the Xbox 360, and I've played both of them, and I'm always checking for any new announcements regarding stereoscopic games on consoles. I've never heard anything about Tecmo Bowl Throwback being S3D. I listen to a ton of gaming podcasts, and check up on a ton of gaming websites, as well as 3D specific websites, and have never heard anything about Tecmo Bowl Throwback and S3D.

There's is also 3D Infinity for the 360 which is an Indie game and is in 3D. Looks pretty good for a simple shooter.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvargason16 /forum/post/18723937

I don't think Tecmo Bowl is in stereoscopic 3D. Nowhere have I read that it is. When it says 3D mode it means rendered 3D polygons not stereoscopic 3D. This is something that is going to be really confusing because for a long time videogames have called themselves 3D but were/are obviously not stereoscopic 3D.

That's what I said in my post above. IGN's review discusses the 3D aspect of the game. In particular, that it is 3D graphics, not S3D.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle /forum/post/18723720

You missed the point. Not hearing about something does not mean it doesn't exist. I never said you were wrong, just that I wanted factual information, not a litany of "because I say so" responses. This is a science forum, after all, not some opinionated blog

As I stated in my previous post, I found the facts myself at IGN.com http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/108/1084622p1.html which proves your point for you.

Well, after posting what I did, I could see how it could come off as a know-it-all type of statement, but I didn't really mean for it it to come out like that. I'm more of a gamer than home-theater guy, and I follow the 3D games on console situation extremely closely. It's certainly possible that there could be a S3D game out there on the consoles that I don't know about, but since I'm scouring the net every day for any tidbit of information about this stuff, and I also listen to gaming podcasts all day long, where they actually discuss 3D gaming on a regular basis, it would just seem like a longshot for me not to have heard about it.

For example, take the indy 3D Infinity game. I've heard somebody else mentioning that as a S3D game, but I was under the impression that it was anaglyph like the retail copy of G-Force and the xbox live game Scrap Metal. If 3D Infinity really supports legit digital stereoscopic 3D, then that is one game that I don't really know about, but being an indy game, they don't get much coverage on all the websites I read and the podcasts I listen to.

Basically, I definitely don't know everything about S3D gaming on console, but I do follow it extremely closely. I'm also a long-time fan of the original Tecmo Bowl, and have heard a number of conversations about Throwback on various podcasts, and S3D support was never mentioned.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18726812

Well, after posting what I did, I could see how it could come off as a know-it-all type of statement, but I didn't really mean for it it to come out like that. I'm more of a gamer than home-theater guy, and I follow the 3D games on console situation extremely closely. It's certainly possible that there could be a S3D game out there on the consoles that I don't know about, but since I'm scouring the net every day for any tidbit of information about this stuff, and I also listen to gaming podcasts all day long, where they actually discuss 3D gaming on a regular basis, it would just seem like a longshot for me not to have heard about it.

For example, take the indy 3D Infinity game. I've heard somebody else mentioning that as a S3D game, but I was under the impression that it was anaglyph like the retail copy of G-Force and the xbox live game Scrap Metal. If 3D Infinity really supports legit digital stereoscopic 3D, then that is one game that I don't really know about, but being an indy game, they don't get much coverage on all the websites I read and the podcasts I listen to.

Basically, I definitely don't know everything about S3D gaming on console, but I do follow it extremely closely. I'm also a long-time fan of the original Tecmo Bowl, and have heard a number of conversations about Throwback on various podcasts, and S3D support was never mentioned.

Don't sweat it
It's hard to figure out who knows what on these forums. And I guess I should have done more research myself, before posting.

I think we are all eager to see more content, and frustrated by the lack of real information. I find myself grasping at straws most of the time. It's a shame it takes so much research and so many posts to ferret out if something is really S3D or not.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmanias /forum/post/18723112

Can the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter games be played in 3d?

These games have splitscreen coop (side by side). When one player dies, the second player can choose to see what the other player is playing on the other side of the screen, (if there are no respawns), so both sides of the screen would show the same image. Can a 3d tv interpret this scenario as 3d, since they accept the side by side format?

To do this, you would need:

Xbox 360 and GRAW, GRAW 2 or PS3 with GRAW 2

2 controllers

(don't know if a 360 without hdmi would work but it might, since the splitscreen coop can be shown on a tv with component cables.

Settings:

coop (any mode)

Extra lives to 0

start the game

shoot the 2nd player

on 2nd player, hit a trigger button so player 1 is shown on left side

push the right stick so the view switches to first person

turn on side by side 3d on tv or glasses

Probably won't work, but it might be worth to give it a try. I'm still saving for my tv (hopefully will have the $ saved by black friday) so I can't try it.

That would only work if the second player could view the game from slightly over to the right. If it's the exact same image delivered to each eye, it might as well be 2D.

I like your thinking though.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod0802 /forum/post/18745033

That would only work if the second player could view the game from slightly over to the right. If it's the exact same image delivered to each eye, it might as well be 2D.

I like your thinking though.

I read that if a game can do split screen, it is ahead of the curve, and already has the capability to do 3D, with some software tweaking.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod0802 /forum/post/18745033

I think the 2nd player is not displaced and sees the same image. I played the game again this weekend but don't think it will work; the image is not exactly the same. On the left screen it shows the aiming reticule, while on the right it shows "watching player one". I was hoping this would work since these games have some really great maps that I'd love to walk around in 3d.

Hopefully the next GR will be in 3d.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/18727155

3D Infinity is S3D. It gives you and option for SxS or anaglyph. Looks better than Avatar but its a way simpler game.

Has anyone played 3D Infinity in stereoscopic 3D (using side-by-side) on a 3D TV? I wasn't sure if a 3D TV would accept the signal since the Xbox 360 uses HDMI 1.2.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/18749421

yes, I have.

Cool. What TV did you use? How was the game? I played it in 2D (I haven't purchased a 3D TV yet), and based on the camera angle, it seemed like it would benefit a lot from 3D.

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/18751141

63PNC8000. It looks a lot better than Avatar in 3D but that's more because there is a lot less to render on the screen. Its a fun quick demo type of game.

Thanks for the response. It's good to know that the Xbox 360 really does support 3D SbS without a firmware update. I was worried that I wouldn't see modern (as outlined in HDMI 1.4 standard) 3D from the Xbox 360.

I'm sure we'll be learning a lot more about 3D console games and release dates at E3 next week.

#41 ·
the xbox does not support 3d- the games (avatar) nativity output 3d from the game engine. its up to the game designers.

i have been playing split sceen left for dead and unreal tournament 3 in 3d on a HTPC- Mit. DLP 3d tv- and it works perfectly. For those interested in split screen 3d.

#43 ·
The PS3 is getting stereoscopic games tomorrow:

WipeOut HD

SuperStarDust HD

PAIN

Motorstom: Pacific Rift (demo)

I may get PAIN if the 3D turns out to be real good.

#45 ·
#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 /forum/post/18752748

WipeOut HD

SuperStarDust HD

PAIN

I just (12:20 a.m.) tried to purchase WipEout HD at the Playstation Store. when I select it, I get a blank screen that says "No content was found"

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/18752357

With the iZ3D driver?

no- those drivers do not work well enough on my system: two gtx 480's in sli. nvidia 3d vision for now.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 /forum/post/18752748

WipeOut HD

SuperStarDust HD

PAIN

I have all these games (in 2D)

WipeOut HD is a pretty cool fast-paced futuristic racing game, but it gets REALLY hard. You need the reflexes of a 15 year old to navigate at those speeds.

SuperStarDust HD is like Asteroids with power-ups. It's fun, and the "board" is already the sphere of a planet (you can go right around it) so it's probably the best suited for 3D.

PAIN is a fun party game. you launch your guy into targets and walls and stuff from a giant slingshot. it's a physics based game, so you try to break stuff or bounce off things to do the most damage. they have group game modes like bowling or HORSE. you'll get bored of it as a single player game, but you can always break it out if you want to play with friends for a laugh.

Motorstom: Pacific Rift (Demo) should be free, so it's worth a try. I liked the first Motorstom better than Pacific Rift, but it's still a cool arcade/off-road racer.

* i have a samsung "3D ready" DLP (hl-t5689s) and no glasses or transmitter, so i'm not sure if the PS3 outputs a checkerboard signal yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.