The Official AVS 3D Console Games Topic! - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #661 of 955 Old 10-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
nickoakdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamphear View Post


It's the same image, just altered. I would do a very poor job of explaining it, so just google "trioviz reprojection".

Trioviz is 3D for 2D TVs. This game does actual stereoscopic 3D for 3D HDTVs.
nickoakdl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #662 of 955 Old 10-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Member
 
Miths's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trioviz is a company isn't it? And possibly also the name they've chosen for the method they use to create their reprojection 3D - and obviously there's nothing stopping that 3D output to be sent to a 3D TV instead of or in addition to an anaglyph output for 2D screens.

Stereoscopic 3D means that left and right eye views are rendered separately slightly apart - on a basic level similar to shooting a movie in "native 3D" using two cameras.

Simplified versions of 3D for games - such as "reprojection 3D", which was also used in Crysis 2, Arkham Asylum GOTY edition (though only with anaglyph output on consoles) and if I'm not mistaken also Gears of War 3? - don't render two completely separate views, but instead uses z-depth and object info from the scene to build, "reproject", a second image from the original.
Or again in simplified terms, similar to a converted 3D movie (though not similar to the 2D-3D conversion feature built into 3D TVs, as that feature can only take advantage of direct image analysis and use what the conversion algorithms can see in the picture, while a game will also have things like the exact values for depth, object locations, sizes etc. to aid in reprojecting the second image).
Miths is offline  
post #663 of 955 Old 10-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Senior Member
 
obveron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Trioviz inficolor is their anaglyph stereo technique that works on 2Dtvs.

Trioviz also provides the stereo render technology used in the Unreal games like B:AC. Trioviz is responsible for generating the stereoscopic information in both inficolor and 3DTV modes. Anaglyph(inficolor) vs 3DTV is just the final display format, but the guts of both is Trioviz.

Its true that Trioviz is not "true stereo" it is not done by using two unique cameras (perspectives). "true stereo" truly would need to be done in the game code from scratch. It would take twice the rendering power to do it this, but it yields the best results.

Trioviz works by using the z buffer to calculate depth of objects. It then builds a stereo pair with parralax to objects according to calculated depth. This parralax will convince your senses that the objects are at different depths.

It's effective and doesn't require that much extra rendering power.
The Trioviz concept can be actually provided by the video drivers to any non-stereo game that uses a game engine with a zbuffer being sent to the GPU.
Stereo drivers on PC work in the same way and allow old games to be played in somewhat realistic stereo. The stranglehold Nvidia 3D vision has on stereo game developers is preventing them from using anything but the zbuffer trick. The game developer can just make their game without much thought to stereo. The drivers provide the stereo afterwards. There is no PC game that doesn't do it this way, thanks to Nvidias closed approach. Basically Nvidia won't allow game developers have control of how the stereo is rendered. Nvidia has a lock down how stereo is delivered to the monitor, so developers are left with little choice.

Which is a shame, because native dual-perspective stereo is superiror.
The difference is that dual perspective allows your eyes to see around the edges of object. Each eye gains a little bit of extra information about the hidden edges of curved objects, this can be seen in real life by closing each eye back and forth while looking at close objects. Each eye is able to see a tiny bit extra and unique information about the edge of the object and whats behind it.
The z-buffer technique lacks that tiny bit of extra information. Objects are merely doubled at the apropriate parralax, to give the sense of accurate depth. The lack of information around the edges gives everything a pop-out-book kinda feel. Things appear convincingly at different distances from your eyes, with a sense of unrealistic flat and sharp edges. I still enjoy the effect but it's not as good as it could be.

Edit: Miths, good post. It wasn't there when I started this monster
obveron is offline  
post #664 of 955 Old 10-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
nickoakdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post

Trioviz inficolor is their anaglyph stereo technique that works on 2Dtvs.

Yes, but they also have a stereoscopic 3D version included as well. That's all that I was trying to say.
nickoakdl is offline  
post #665 of 955 Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Member
 
Miths's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We finally got Arkham City in Europe today. I've been playing the PS3 version for an hour and the 3D does look very good, with depth much more impressive than I had expected from reprojection 3D (and compared to Crysis 2, which I think is the only other game I've played using a similar 3D technique).
It's also so far completely free of crosstalk at the highest depth setting on my Samsung D550 plasma, despite the many dark areas (typically the most likely places to cause crosstalk in my experience).

Naturally the reprojection 3D also has the great advantage of having very little impact on visual quality and performance, which is unfortunately more than can be said for too many of the most visually impressive games in "proper" stereoscopic 3D.
Miths is offline  
post #666 of 955 Old 10-22-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TonyDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I picked up Ratchet and Clank: All for One today. The game supports 3D but there is a visible drop in resolution and the sense of depth is mild at best, even at the max setting. The colors also appear washed out and you actually have to reduce the brightness to bring some color back into the game.

In terms of gameplay, the classic Ratchet & Clank humor is still there be there have been some disappointing changes made to how you actually play the game. You now buy weapon upgrades rather than having them automatically upgrade as they are used; there is an auto-lock-on system that chooses the closest target and the game employs a fixed camera system that usually gives a zoomed out view of Ratchet and his friends, further highlighting the drop in resolution.

I've been a longtime Ratchet & Clank fan so it was a foregone conclusion that I'd have to pick this up but based on my initial impressions I'd say this is one of the weaker games in the series.
TonyDP is offline  
post #667 of 955 Old 10-25-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TonyDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
There's a demo for Sonic Generations up on the PSN and Xbox Live and it has a 3D mode (the 360 version also appears to be frame sequential as it went into 3D as soon as I selected it from the menu - no need to turn on side-by-side mode on the TV as with other games).

Graphically, there's a nice sense of depth when Sonic is standing still or moving slowly but as soon as he starts to speed up, the backgrounds start to blur and all depth is lost.

The game also has some annoyingly bright static HUD elements which cannot be turned off so 3D plasma owners beware, I got some pretty visible IR after only about 5 minutes of racing though it quickly faded away.

When oh when will developers wake up to the fact that not all TVs are created equal when it comes to static images.
TonyDP is offline  
post #668 of 955 Old 10-31-2011, 03:42 PM
Senior Member
 
xamphear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just had a chance to play the full Sonic Generations game in 3D... In 2D, once you get moving, all depth is pretty much lost, but in some of the 3D stuff, like when you're running into the screen, it's pretty awesome, like a roller coaster ride.

The framerate takes a HUGE hit, though. Shame about that, because it damages some otherwise really cool 3D effects.
xamphear is offline  
post #669 of 955 Old 11-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Member
 
Greg S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just played a couple hours of Uncharted 3. Stunning. Not a fast-paced game so whatever frame-rate hit it takes is not noticeable. Better than Black Ops and KZ3 imo.
Greg S is offline  
post #670 of 955 Old 11-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Member
 
Miths's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post

Just played a couple hours of Uncharted 3. Stunning. Not a fast-paced game so whatever frame-rate hit it takes is not noticeable. Better than Black Ops and KZ3 imo.

No matter how slow paced a game is, just about any framerate hits larger than 1-2 fps for a 30 fps game is going to be noticeable, unless you're standing still and with little other movement on screen .

From what I've been reading - and based on my fairly brief multiplayer beta impressions (I'll be picking up the game in around ten hours) - UC3 simply happens to be among the 3D games that don't seem to take a framerate hit, or if it does it's probably within those couple of frames at worst.
If it's a matter of visual trade-offs vs. performance trade-offs, I'll definitely take the former for a 30 fps game. Once games begin to dip into the mid 20s fps on a regular basis - whether in 3D or 2D - I start feeling nauseated and possibly developing a splitting headache as well pretty quickly.
It seems like UC3 impresses all around though, unlike for instance Killzone 3 which frankly looked rather terrible in 3D because of the severe resolution hit (and also had some performance hiccups if I recall correctly, but I never got around to try out more than a couple of KZ3 levels in 3D).
Miths is offline  
post #671 of 955 Old 11-18-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TonyDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Just got Assassin's Creed: Revelations for the 360 and as an FYI for anyone interested it implements a true stereoscopic 3D mode. The sense of depth is quite nice and the drop in resolution is very minor. About the only caveat is that plasma owners may want to disable all the HUD elements as they are bright white and can quickly cause IR on some panels.
TonyDP is offline  
post #672 of 955 Old 11-19-2011, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cakefoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1373951

..says it's a conversion (PS3 version but I doubt the 360 version is different)

Considering there's no big drop in IQ or performance, I'd agree without even having to see it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

cakefoo is offline  
post #673 of 955 Old 11-20-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Guys - what are your favorite 3D games for the XBOX or PS3? Just got a new display and am interested in checking out 3D gaming, so looking for the best titles to show it off. Thanks!
lovingdvd is offline  
post #674 of 955 Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TonyDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Guys - what are your favorite 3D games for the XBOX or PS3? Just got a new display and am interested in checking out 3D gaming, so looking for the best titles to show it off. Thanks!

For the 360, I've enjoyed these:

Gears of War 3 - Excellent side-by-side 3D implementation with negligible ghosting and very minor drop in resolution if you set your 360 to 1080p. Played thru the entire campaign in 3D and had a lot of fun.

Halo: Anniversary - I'm playing thru this right now and the 3D implementation is very good. Again, there is a minor but visible drop in resolution but the visuals more than make up for it.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations - This uses the so-called "re-projection" method to achieve 3D with a minimal hit on resolution. To my eyes the sense of depth is still very nice.

Avatar - Another side-by-side 3D game; the campaign isn't the best but the 3D imagery is quite nice. Just be aware that this game has some very bright persistent HUD elements that cannot be turned off and if you have a plasma TV beware of the potential for image retention.


PS3

Uncharted 3 - Probably the benchmark for 3D on the PS3 right now with a very minor drop in resolution and hardly any ghosting on any type of panel once you tweak the the TV's 3D convergence settings.

Resistance 3 - Another very good 3D adventure with nice visuals and minimal ghosting.

Tron: Evolution - This one is all about depth but the 3D visuals really co-exist well with the game's virtual world setting. This one displays a little more ghosting than other games so you may have to tweak the game's 3D settings to get the best effect.

Gran Tourismo 5 - 3D racing at 720p; again, you need to calibrate the game's 3D settings for parallax and convergence to get the most pleasing image for your display but once you dial it in, its another nice 3D showcase.

Child of Eden - This recent 3D shooter has a very nice stereoscopic 3D mode though the game itself can be fairly challenging.


Call of Duty: Black Ops also supports 3D on both platforms; it is the only CoD game to support 3D and has a very nice presentation on either console.
TonyDP is offline  
post #675 of 955 Old 11-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Senior Member
 
BleedOrange11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For PS3:

1. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
2. Gran Turismo 5
3. MotorStrom Apocalypse
4. God of War: Origins Collection
5. Child of Eden
6. Super StarDust HD
7. WipEout HD Fury
8. Cars 2: The Video Game
9. The Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection
10. Resistance 3


P.S. The Xbox 360 versions are better for Avatar and Call of Duty: Black Ops because they have better frame-rates in 3D mode.
BleedOrange11 is offline  
post #676 of 955 Old 11-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Senior Member
 
obveron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm not impressed with the 3D in sonic generations. All they've done is move the WHOLE environment to the same depth behind the screen.

Sonic is at the same depth as the background and the foreground, there is no variety in the depth from the screen.
Sonic should be at screen distance so he is clear and crisp with no threat of crosstalk, the background behind him should be at a decent distance behind the screen.

Right now there is no depth between the enviromental elements. Everything is at the same depth, enabling 3D just puts the all elements at the same depth behind the screen. Changing the "3d intensity" just moves the environment to different distances behind the screen, but as i said all elements remain at that same distance. What a waste of time. If I want the screen farther away I can sit further from the TV, lol, this is not 3d.
obveron is offline  
post #677 of 955 Old 12-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Senior Member
 
perfectdark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just got rid of the xbox360 for a PS3 and looking for good 3D games
i have Resistance 3, pretty good in 3D, aside from teh graphics which look dated (but they look dated in the 2D version as well, its just not a visualy stunning game)
Played Kilzone 3 demo 3D and the jaggies are terrible, gamelooks poor and controls blow
Motorsotrm 3D demo, looked good except fro some flashing whith images
God of War Spartan something... seemed ok, nothing special

anything paticular i should try or buy? I am leaning towards the motostrom but i dunno if the game is a 1 day play ... does it have replay value? online community? etc
perfectdark is offline  
post #678 of 955 Old 12-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Senior Member
 
xamphear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post

just got rid of the xbox360 for a PS3 and looking for good 3D games

Uncharted 3.
xamphear is offline  
post #679 of 955 Old 12-05-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TonyDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post

just got rid of the xbox360 for a PS3 and looking for good 3D games
i have Resistance 3, pretty good in 3D, aside from teh graphics which look dated (but they look dated in the 2D version as well, its just not a visualy stunning game)
Played Kilzone 3 demo 3D and the jaggies are terrible, gamelooks poor and controls blow
Motorsotrm 3D demo, looked good except fro some flashing whith images
God of War Spartan something... seemed ok, nothing special

anything paticular i should try or buy? I am leaning towards the motostrom but i dunno if the game is a 1 day play ... does it have replay value? online community? etc

You should definitely try Uncharted 3, probably the best 3D game on the PS3 right now.

Tron: Evolution is another good 3D showcase though the gameplay is a bit uneven. It can be had for short money these days.

Gran Tourismo 5 is another 3D showcase with very nice 720p graphics in 3D though the actual gameplay can be a bit dry.

Super Stardust HD is a good downloadable 3D game with a very nice sense of depth.

Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters was another surprisingly fun game with a very nice sense of 3D; this one uses side-by-side to render so there is a slight drop in resolution but not really noticeable most of the time.

Call of Duty: Black Ops has a good 3D mode, especially when looking down the scope of a weapon.
TonyDP is offline  
post #680 of 955 Old 12-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Airion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Definitely Uncharted 3. I would also recommend Shadow of the Colossus. Those are my two favorite 3D games on PS3. I also enjoyed the Prince of Persia 3D HD games, they're cheap and readily available on the PSN.

If you're new to the PS3, don't forget to tinker with the system's screen size setting if you want more depth in your games. I have mine set to about half of my actual screen size.
Airion is offline  
post #681 of 955 Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Senior Member
 
perfectdark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

D
If you're new to the PS3, don't forget to tinker with the system's screen size setting if you want more depth in your games. I have mine set to about half of my actual screen size.

sorry what? This is the first time i have heard this.... i have my screen size set to 106" which is my correct projector screen size ... are you saying i should cut that in half? why is this making a difference

i did a quick bluray.com search and this thread people are saying it doesn't make any difference
http://forum.blu-ray.com/3d-technolo...reen-size.html
perfectdark is offline  
post #682 of 955 Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 
barb1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miths View Post

We finally got Arkham City in Europe today. I've been playing the PS3 version for an hour and the 3D does look very good, with depth much more impressive than I had expected from reprojection 3D (and compared to Crysis 2, which I think is the only other game I've played using a similar 3D technique).
It's also so far completely free of crosstalk at the highest depth setting on my Samsung D550 plasma, despite the many dark areas (typically the most likely places to cause crosstalk in my experience).

Naturally the reprojection 3D also has the great advantage of having very little impact on visual quality and performance, which is unfortunately more than can be said for too many of the most visually impressive games in "proper" stereoscopic 3D.

The active-shutter 3D in Arkham City is the best I've seen in any 3D game. It has absolutely no ghosting. And it adds such depth to the city. Arkham City's the first 3D game I didn't turn off due to ghosting since Motorstorm.
barb1978 is offline  
post #683 of 955 Old 12-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Airion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post

sorry what? This is the first time i have heard this.... i have my screen size set to 106" which is my correct projector screen size ... are you saying i should cut that in half? why is this making a difference

i did a quick bluray.com search and this thread people are saying it doesn't make any difference
http://forum.blu-ray.com/3d-technolo...reen-size.html

It's true that it doesn't (and no way it could) make any difference with Blu-rays. With games however, usually setting the PS3 to a smaller screen size will increase the depth. In many games, even setting the in game depth slider to the maximum doesn't provide fully realistic 3D. The screen size setting is a backdoor way to increase it. Ideally the farthest objects would be separated on the screen equal to the distance between your eyes.
Airion is offline  
post #684 of 955 Old 12-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Newbie
 
theizzardking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: N.WASHINGTON
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just wanted to say thanks for the lists on the last few pages, as you can guess it's that time of year when you get a influx of newbie geeks wanting to know about their new fangled toys!

i just pulled the trigger on a 60st30 and a ps3 uncharted 3 package,my first blu ray device of any kind, i have a 60 inch tv and i play from about 10 ft away, that's about 2-3 feet further out then the "zone" the room is 100% light controlled ,bedroom like it dark when i sleep! is this ok?
my reference is here
w w w.best-3dtvs.com/guides/best-screen-size-viewing-distance


if you guys have any other suggestion of games that will blow my mind that would be great, any chance skyrim is 3d? i'm most likely going to go down to BB and pick up a few games and movies to enjoy my new setup tomorrow.... any advice for getting the best 3d gaming experience would be great! like do i need to calibrate for each game depending on how it was made? any more great games, fps and rpg's? top 5 3d games of the year?
thanks!
theizzardking is offline  
post #685 of 955 Old 12-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Senior Member
 
perfectdark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theizzardking View Post

just wanted to say thanks for the lists on the last few pages, as you can guess it's that time of year when you get a influx of newbie geeks wanting to know about their new fangled toys!

i just pulled the trigger on a 60st30 and a ps3 uncharted 3 package,my first blu ray device of any kind, i have a 60 inch tv and i play from about 10 ft away, that's about 2-3 feet further out then the "zone" the room is 100% light controlled ,bedroom like it dark when i sleep! is this ok?
my reference is here
w w w.best-3dtvs.com/guides/best-screen-size-viewing-distance


if you guys have any other suggestion of games that will blow my mind that would be great, any chance skyrim is 3d? i'm most likely going to go down to BB and pick up a few games and movies to enjoy my new setup tomorrow.... any advice for getting the best 3d gaming experience would be great! like do i need to calibrate for each game depending on how it was made? any more great games, fps and rpg's? top 5 3d games of the year?
thanks!


Since i'm new to the PS3, i havent tried allot yet. But i did buy Motorstorm Apocalypse, Resistance 3 and Killzone 3
I havent played Killzone 3 yet, just the demo
Motorstorm Apocolypse is fantastic in 3D, Dirt, water etc is in your face and the depth is great, really fun.
Right now i am stuck playing Resistance 3 constantly in campaign mode. The 3D is great and adds so much to the game level. For shooting the depth is fantastic. Also, when the hoppers are sniping at you, you see the red lazer scope and these beams are out of your screen and right at your eyes, i feel the need to duck everytime great game just made better by 3D
perfectdark is offline  
post #686 of 955 Old 12-18-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post

Since i'm new to the PS3, i havent tried allot yet. But i did buy Motorstorm Apocalypse, Resistance 3 and Killzone 3
I havent played Killzone 3 yet, just the demo
Motorstorm Apocolypse is fantastic in 3D, Dirt, water etc is in your face and the depth is great, really fun.
Right now i am stuck playing Resistance 3 constantly in campaign mode. The 3D is great and adds so much to the game level. For shooting the depth is fantastic. Also, when the hoppers are sniping at you, you see the red lazer scope and these beams are out of your screen and right at your eyes, i feel the need to duck everytime great game just made better by 3D

Thanks for the tip on Resistance 3 and its cool 3D effects. Will have to check it out. Is there a 3D option in the demo?
lovingdvd is offline  
post #687 of 955 Old 12-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Member
 
UKStory135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

For the 360, I've enjoyed these:

Gears of War 3 - Excellent side-by-side 3D implementation with negligible ghosting and very minor drop in resolution if you set your 360 to 1080p. Played thru the entire campaign in 3D and had a lot of fun.

Halo: Anniversary - I'm playing thru this right now and the 3D implementation is very good. Again, there is a minor but visible drop in resolution but the visuals more than make up for it.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations - This uses the so-called "re-projection" method to achieve 3D with a minimal hit on resolution. To my eyes the sense of depth is still very nice.

Avatar - Another side-by-side 3D game; the campaign isn't the best but the 3D imagery is quite nice. Just be aware that this game has some very bright persistent HUD elements that cannot be turned off and if you have a plasma TV beware of the potential for image retention.


PS3

Uncharted 3 - Probably the benchmark for 3D on the PS3 right now with a very minor drop in resolution and hardly any ghosting on any type of panel once you tweak the the TV's 3D convergence settings.

Resistance 3 - Another very good 3D adventure with nice visuals and minimal ghosting.

Tron: Evolution - This one is all about depth but the 3D visuals really co-exist well with the game's virtual world setting. This one displays a little more ghosting than other games so you may have to tweak the game's 3D settings to get the best effect.

Gran Tourismo 5 - 3D racing at 720p; again, you need to calibrate the game's 3D settings for parallax and convergence to get the most pleasing image for your display but once you dial it in, its another nice 3D showcase.

Child of Eden - This recent 3D shooter has a very nice stereoscopic 3D mode though the game itself can be fairly challenging.


Call of Duty: Black Ops also supports 3D on both platforms; it is the only CoD game to support 3D and has a very nice presentation on either console.

Personally, I didn't like Halo CE Anniversary's 3D mode because I felt that the resolution drop was too severe.

The only other game I have played in 3D is Uncharted 3, and it is very well done. I will be playing Arkham City in 3D mode on the XBox 360 soon and I will give an update then. Supposedly, Arkham City is the first XBox 3D game without a big resolution drop.
UKStory135 is offline  
post #688 of 955 Old 12-27-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TonyDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKStory135 View Post

Personally, I didn't like Halo CE Anniversary's 3D mode because I felt that the resolution drop was too severe.

The only other game I have played in 3D is Uncharted 3, and it is very well done. I will be playing Arkham City in 3D mode on the XBox 360 soon and I will give an update then. Supposedly, Arkham City is the first XBox 3D game without a big resolution drop.

Just curious, did you have your 360 set to 720p or 1080p when trying Halo Anniversary in 3D? I ask because I have read that setting the console to 1080p can lead to a sharper 3D picture with less drop in resolution.

Arkham City does look nice in 3D but it uses the so-called reprojection method which isn't a true stereoscopic mode. It yields a nice effect in Batman (and Assassin's Creed: Revelations as well) but I find it just doesn't give me as good of an effect as true stereoscopic, especially when it comes to stuff popping out of the screen.

Just my observations.
TonyDP is offline  
post #689 of 955 Old 12-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Member
 
lunaluagua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
been too busy to extensively test (or even play) many 3d games but lowering the "screen size" setting is a back door way to increase 3d effects in SOME games. in other games, it is detrimental to the 3d effect, and in even in some others it has no effect at all.

for example, uncharted 3 and child of eden for my 135" 3d projector, the ideal setting is 11" (maybe 10" for uc3 story mode, heh). however for gran turismo 5 and super stardust, the most accurate to life setting is the correct screen size setting of 135". at 135", gt5 has the the road close to you extend out of the screen, but if set to 10", everything is in-screen depth only. they have also corrected the replay shots in a recent update so that they are comfortable to watch a the correct setting for such a large display

another example is with sega games such as sonic generations and house of the dead overkill. sega seems to have very extreme 3d settings, but at the correct screen size setting of 135" they are not 1:1:1 depth accurate, even at maxed in-game 3d intensity. if i change the setting to the minimum size of 10", the l/r views are so extreme they are unviewable. after messing with the settings, the ideal 1:1:1 depth ratio is achieved at the screen size set to 10", but the in-game 3d intensity set to about 34 out of 100.

god of war origins collection also works in a similar way, i set it to 10" (if i remember correctly), but the in-game intensity about 80% or so....don't remember exactly but somewhere around there is correct. you just have to adjust the slider until the side of a block appears to be a right angle for accurate 1:1:1 depth....though i must say it looks better even with a little more extreme depth than that haha, and it also goes with the style of the game. but all in all, you MUST test each individual game to see how the 3d works with the different settings and what is preferable for your screen size for ideal effect.
lunaluagua is offline  
post #690 of 955 Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Member
 
UKStory135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Just curious, did you have your 360 set to 720p or 1080p when trying Halo Anniversary in 3D? I ask because I have read that setting the console to 1080p can lead to a sharper 3D picture with less drop in resolution.

Arkham City does look nice in 3D but it uses the so-called reprojection method which isn't a true stereoscopic mode. It yields a nice effect in Batman (and Assassin's Creed: Revelations as well) but I find it just doesn't give me as good of an effect as true stereoscopic, especially when it comes to stuff popping out of the screen.

Just my observations.

I have it set on 1080p. The pixel drop isn't major in Halo, but the reason I bought Halo is for the beautiful backdrops and landscapes, so I had a really high bar set for it. I was under the impression that the 3D TV version of AC was stereoscopic and the anaglyph version was reprojection.
UKStory135 is offline  
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Playstation 3 160gb System , Microsoft Xbox , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off