The Official AVS 3D Console Games Topic! - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 955 Old 03-05-2012, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
the 3d in child of eden is by no means so-so....but at the default settings it might be. reset your display settings and select a screen size of 11" and try it again. it goes deeper than any other game i've seen, though uncharted 3 comes close at the same setting.

one thing i would like to report here is that i now have an nvidia 3d vision setup that runs in 1080p @ 60fps, and i have to say that arkham city in true stereo 3d does NOT look that much better than the reprojection versions on console. the depth perception was much better during combat, and looked like the expected fighting "3d action figures" but flying around the city (with maxed out 3d settings) looked nearly identical to the 3d mode on ps3. i suspect this is because of the shortcuts and "behind the scenes" magic used to create the city (since it very much is the best use of unreal engine 3 so far), and the scaling is a bit illusory. but again the fighting camera angles did look better (and true 3d), and obviously better than the 3d console version, which do a decent-to-ok job themselves, but flying around is a LOT closer than you might expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 955 Old 03-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

From an interview in April 2011 it looks like they originally planned to support 3D, but I guess those plans got scraped along the way:

In addition to being disappointed there was no 3D, I was even more disappointed to learn there was no split screen. Not sure if this was scraped due to frame rate / processing concerns or what. Either way I got to vote by not purchasing the game as a result of these let downs.

The lack of splitscreen has kept me from buying it. 3D probably would have pushed it back into the buy category. No big loss, I don't have time to play the games I do have. Perhaps I'll pick it up in the fall to get psyched for the upcoming snow season. It'll be cheap then too.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #783 of 955 Old 03-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaluagua View Post

the 3d in child of eden is by no means so-so....but at the default settings it might be. reset your display settings and select a screen size of 11" and try it again. it goes deeper than any other game i've seen, though uncharted 3 comes close at the same setting.

one thing i would like to report here is that i now have an nvidia 3d vision setup that runs in 1080p @ 60fps, and i have to say that arkham city in true stereo 3d does NOT look that much better than the reprojection versions on console. the depth perception was much better during combat, and looked like the expected fighting "3d action figures" but flying around the city (with maxed out 3d settings) looked nearly identical to the 3d mode on ps3. i suspect this is because of the shortcuts and "behind the scenes" magic used to create the city (since it very much is the best use of unreal engine 3 so far), and the scaling is a bit illusory. but again the fighting camera angles did look better (and true 3d), and obviously better than the 3d console version, which do a decent-to-ok job themselves, but flying around is a LOT closer than you might expect.

Re: COE: The 3D is good, it's the gameplay and music that are so-so.

post #784 of 955 Old 03-05-2012, 04:40 PM

as for the COE gameplay i have to say that a move controller is a MUST, and you have to either use the alternate control scheme (which no arm flicking), or the 3rd hidden-ish type that iwaggle3d talks about in his brilliant video here. he also explains how the calibration actually works and it's incredibly helpful--the in-game explanations are totally wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-hy8IbOTQ

i have very high regard for this game, but maybe that's partially because i play it on an 135" 3d screen with ps move from 10 feet away haha
post #785 of 955 Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

as for the COE gameplay i have to say that a move controller is a MUST, and you have to either use the alternate control scheme (which no arm flicking), or the 3rd hidden-ish type that iwaggle3d talks about in his brilliant video here. he also explains how the calibration actually works and it's incredibly helpful--the in-game explanations are totally wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-hy8IbOTQ

i have very high regard for this game, but maybe that's partially because i play it on an 135" 3d screen with ps move from 10 feet away haha

Anything that's gets rid of the arm flicking will be appreciated. I'll try it. Thanks!

post #786 of 955 Old 03-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

I got CoE yesterday in the mail and was able to complete the first two levels. I also have this on the 360 and have played with the Kinect. I think the 3D is so well done it makes it much more of an experience than the Kinect. Pretty cool considering I am just playing it with the standard controller. The 110" screen helps though.
post #787 of 955 Old 03-10-2012, 03:00 PM

Liked: 10
Jimmie Johnson's Anything with an Engine demo on psn supports stereoscopic 3D. You have to enable it in the demo's options menu. (also has a anaglyph option.) Has some nice pop out effects.
post #788 of 955 Old 03-10-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I tried the demo to Motorstorm: RC today; overall a little disappointing in terms of visuals and gameplay. Since the game involves radio-controlled cars you play from a top-down isometric view and that tends to limit the 3D effect. The is no pop-out to speak of and also a pretty visible drop in resolution in going from 2D to 3D.

In terms of gameplay, the default control scheme made the game literally unplayable for me; switching to the alternate control scheme (after suffering thru the demo track) made the game controllable but not particularly fun. It seemed to me the computer controlled RC cars were always faster than mine (even on straightaways) and the tracks, though inspired by prior Motorstorm games, weren't particularly long or interesting. The control may realistically ape what a real RC car feels like but within a videogame I just thought it didn't work as well and it should have included more options for tweaking the control. Overall a pass for me.
post #789 of 955 Old 03-17-2012, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was just checking out the PS3 Store and can't even find a section for 3D gaming anymore. How many 3D games are expected in 2012 vs. 2011?
post #790 of 955 Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 PM

TBH the only ones i know about is bioshock infinite, sly cooper 4, and ratchet and clank collection...i assume assassin's creed 3 will be 3d as well as whatever else unreal engine 3 games there are (but in reprojection). 2012 doesn't seem to be a big year as far as ps3 exclusives go :/
post #791 of 955 Old 03-17-2012, 09:27 PM

Also:
Datura
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
LittleBigPlanet Karting
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Unconfirmed but hopeful:
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us
Overstrike
post #792 of 955 Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 AM

Liked: 18
MLB The Show 12 also support 3D stereoscopic but it really doesn't add anything to the game really.
post #793 of 955 Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 PM

Disney Epic Mickey: The Power of Two will be in 3D. I'm not a big Disney fan, but I bet this will be a really beautiful experience with Move + 3D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qimmbzp794

http://www.iwaggle3d.com/2012/03/dis...-features.html
post #794 of 955 Old 03-29-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symtex View Post

MLB The Show 12 also support 3D stereoscopic but it really doesn't add anything to the game really.

How well done is the 3D effect though?
post #795 of 955 Old 03-29-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symtex View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbreen76 View Post

How well done is the 3D effect though?

I doubt it's much different than the Show 11's 3D support. While it doesn't seem like it adds much to the game if you just give it a quick look, I personally hit the ball significantly better when playing in 3d (I found it easier to time each pitch correctly as well as pick the right location when going to swing).

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #796 of 955 Old 03-30-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
The Show 12's 3D is really poorly designed. The ability to distinguish batter, pitcher and outfield is weak by default, but as you increase the strength, the batter and pitcher become so far distanced from the surface of the screen and therefore their doubles are spaced apart a great deal (screen parallax), which in turn causes the eyes to diverge (uncomfortable) and the display to more likely exhibit crosstalk. It would look much better like the bottom image, which has the same amount of depth between the batter and pitcher, but not so much between the hud (screen surface) and batter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #797 of 955 Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

The Adventures of Tin Tin for the PS3 was selling for $19 on Amazon so I decided to give it a try as I liked the movie and the game supports 3D.

The game itself is pretty easy, consisting of simple platforming and action with the occasional easily solved puzzle.

The 3D is well implemented with a very nice sense of depth. The platforming sections make especially nice use of foreground and background objects. There was no ghosting to speak of on my LG LM7600 LCD.

Given the price its definitely worth a look.
post #798 of 955 Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Don't know if anyone has seen this but the new Kinect Star Wars game is indeed 3D doesn't say anything about it on the front of the game box but it is stereoscopic 3D. I just bought the limited edition Kinect Star Wars bundle (I love this by the way looks amazing) and modded a extra controller to look like R2D2 to go along with the C3PO one that comes with it.
LL
LL
post #799 of 955 Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 AM

Wow. Nice job on that mod. How's the 3D in Kinect Star Wars?
post #800 of 955 Old 04-08-2012, 08:53 AM

Anyone try this yet? I don't see a review in this thread, or did I miss it?
post #801 of 955 Old 04-08-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan M View Post

Don't know if anyone has seen this but the new Kinect Star Wars game is indeed 3D doesn't say anything about it on the front of the game box but it is stereoscopic 3D. I just bought the limited edition Kinect Star Wars bundle (I love this by the way looks amazing) and modded a extra controller to look like R2D2 to go along with the C3PO one that comes with it.

I felt the 3D was very weak. The game is very fun though.
post #802 of 955 Old 04-08-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post

Anyone try this yet? I don't see a review in this thread, or did I miss it?

I got All for One when it was first released. The 3D was average at best in my opinion. The drop in resolution was pretty severe, the colors seemed washed out at the default settings and the camera system tended to pull back a lot since it was a 4 player co-op game; those factors combined to make a pretty underwhelming visual experience in 2D and 3D.

As to the game itself, I've played pretty much all the Ratchet & Clank games and found this to be the weakest and the only one that I did not keep after playing it. The gameplay was pretty repetitive and the auto-lock-on system both dumbed down the game and sometimes locked onto the wrong target. Unlike prior games, you had to buy upgrades to your weapons rather than have them upgrade automatically the more you used them so instead of encouraging experimentation you had to pick two or three weapons and focus on those for a playthru since there weren't enough bolts to upgrade everything. The whole game seemed skewed toward a younger audience and even the humor lacked the edge of prior games. Even Dr. Nefarious and Captain Qwark's one liners were disappointing to me.

Personally, I'd suggest passing on this and waiting for the Ratchet & Clank Collection coming in September which gives us updated versions of the first three games in hi-def and 3D.

http://www.amazon.com/Ratchet-Clank-...=18S05L3HTNFEA
post #803 of 955 Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:

Nvidia 3d vision adds 3D to games in the same way as the Unreal engine's built-in reprojection.
That is, Nvida 3d vision, adds parralax to the scene via z-buffer depth calculations.
"True 3d" would be acheived by rendering two distinct camera angles from scratch. That is not how Nvidia 3d works.
That type of 3d would need to be provided by the game engine. As far as I know, no games for PC do this "true 3d" in-game method as they pretty much need to use the 3D provided by the nvidia drivers in order to retain compatibility with nvidia vision hardware/monitor.

The only game I've tried that uses the two native camera angles for 3D is COD:BO for console only. The PC version of COD:BO is bound to the Nvidia driver's z-buffer technique.

It's unfortunate, but Nvidia's 3d vision has essentially tied the hands of PC game developers when it comes to delivering stereoscopic images.
post #804 of 955 Old 04-09-2012, 08:27 AM

Hi all,

I have the very first generation of 360 (component out only, no HDMI out). I am looking to dust it off and plug it into my new setup of 115" screen with 3D projector. I would like to experience this 3D gaming thing you kids enjoy nowadays

Uncharted 3, Black Ops, Modern Warfare, Red Dead Redemption are the types of games I would enjoy. I know Uncharted is only PS3.

What is the best 3D currently out there with either a lot of popouts or wonderful depth?

I read the COE comments and I can give that a try. No kinect here.

edit: I forgot the most important question. Do I have to have HDMI out on the Xbox to do 3D?
post #805 of 955 Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat68 View Post

Yes the XBox has to have a HDMI output built in for the 3D to work.

Edit: after reading a little more, I found this answer to my question.
post #806 of 955 Old 04-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post

Nvidia 3d vision adds 3D to games in the same way as the Unreal engine's built-in reprojection.
That is, Nvida 3d vision, adds parralax to the scene via z-buffer depth calculations.
"True 3d" would be acheived by rendering two distinct camera angles from scratch. That is not how Nvidia 3d works.

Perhaps you're confusing Nvidia 3D with Tridef's Virtual 3D reprojection method. When working properly, Nvidia does in fact produce two distinct camera views.
post #807 of 955 Old 04-09-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

Perhaps you're confusing Nvidia 3D with Tridef's Virtual 3D reprojection method. When working properly, Nvidia does in fact produce two distinct camera views.

totally agree with you here, there's no mistaking 3d vision with any reprojection method console games might use, and i've seen virtually all of them. not sure where the other guy is getting his info...3d vision seems to use a kind of "brute force" double rendering, that to be honest, doesn't limit developers, it just makes their games not entirely compatible with 3d vision. that's why out of the hundreds of games that "work" with 3d vision, only a handful are considered by nvidia to be "3d-vision ready" (and many of those have been made in partnership with nvidia). the rest of the games work to some degree, while many others are totally unplayable. they just don't work with the method. but new games can be developed specifically with 3d vision in mind and nvidia gives developers the power to do what they want with it. check out this article about 3d vision:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...r-pc-3d-gaming

"3D is a combination of GPU hardware and software. Native inside our driver we have a system that creates two virtual cameras from any DirectX-based application. We analyse every frame and create a distinct left eye and right eye view"

"Our GPU then renders each scene twice and creates the 3D world. We are not trying to patch vertices or do edge-detection for 3D, which results in sub-optimal 3D quality, usually causing the world to look flat. On a high level, we can automatically convert any application into 3D. Beyond that, we offer game developer access to APIs which let them control convergence, depth, camera position, and more, and it works very much like the PS3 system."
post #808 of 955 Old 04-10-2012, 05:14 AM

That article is misleading. Nvidia drivers use all sorts of techniques to DERIVE a second image with accurate paralax for objects at different depths. In that article nvidia calls it 2 virtual cameras, but it is not the equivalent of two camera angles being rendered from scratch in the game engine (without nvidias help).

Yes NVAPI allows developers to have a bit of control on the delivery of the stereo pairs, but it's 100% done in-driver and Nvidia aims to keep it that way.

http://developer.download.nvidia.com...ices_Guide.pdf

I'm not saying nvidia techniques are bad, they are very good, and allow for decent performance with decent 3d. but better 3D could be acheived by two native camera angles delivered by the game engine (not the driver). This would come at a big cost of performance, and at the cost of a ton of extra work by the developers.
post #809 of 955 Old 04-10-2012, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post

I'm not saying nvidia techniques are bad, they are very good, and allow for decent performance with decent 3d. but better 3D could be acheived by two native camera angles delivered by the game engine (not the driver). This would come at a big cost of performance, and at the cost of a ton of extra work by the developers.

You make some interesting accusations, and I wonder if Nvidia's technique isn't at the heart of why all PC games don't have flawless 3D. It should be simple, right? Just render a second camera view.

But, I'm a little thrown when you say it offers "decent 3D." What do you mean exactly? Do you mean it offers decent compatibility? If so, I agree. Do you mean it offers a decent 3D effect? If so, I have to disagree. The 3D effect in 3D-ready games is flawless. I can't imagine a better 3D effect. I say this as a console 3D gamer who only recently got a gaming PC. With the proper user settings, it is identical to reality, and identical to having two unique cameras. As a user, I'm not really interested in the programming process. If it produces identical results to rendering two camera views in engine, how is my 3D experience reduced to decent?

For a more pointed question, do you have an Nvidia 3D capable PC and do you use it regularly?
post #810 of 955 Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 PM

i also agree here, the 3d modeling in nvidia 3d vision (with compatible-enough games) is perfect. as in the 3d is true 1:1:1 xyz depth ratio with the correct settings (unless there are other behind-the-scenes visual tricks being implemented that are unnoticeable when rendered in 2d). however i will agree with you that they are placing their own "artistic stamp" which is separate from the developers in terms of how the cameras and depth should look. i have seen virtually every ps3 3d game (and they use varying techniques), and many nvidia 3d vision games (with a variety of compatibility ratings) and am very susceptive of artifacting of any kind and there's nothing in 3d vision that shows to me that it not true 3d...even if it is tacked on. i have no complaints with it (though i have no experience with how their api is limiting or what not to letting developer execute their vision). and in reference to performance, 3d vision does take the expected ~50% hit on the framerate due to being rendered in stereoscopic, but with powerful enough hardware, going from 100+ fps to 60 won't be that perceptible.

anyway in reference to what i was originally saying, flying around in arkham city on pc doesn't look A LOT better or like it has much more depth than it has on ps3 (which uses reprojection 3d)...but flying around in harry potter and the half blood prince does look accurate, so it's not as if every game is limited in the way arkham city is. but close-up fighting in arkham is accurate in 3d vision, and ps3 is not (but is still ok looking).
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Playstation 3 160gb System , Microsoft Xbox , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page