The Official AVS 3D Console Games Topic! - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 967 Old 12-24-2014, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It depends on the game. Some of the older games that used SbS 3d (Crysis Warhead, Gears Of War 3, Black Ops 1 etc) the screen size setting would have no effect. For the "newer" framepacked 3D games, (Black Ops 2, Halo CE Anniversary) it should have an effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 967 Old 12-24-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post
It depends on the game. Some of the older games that used SbS 3d (Crysis Warhead, Gears Of War 3, Black Ops 1 etc) the screen size setting would have no effect. For the "newer" framepacked 3D games, (Black Ops 2, Halo CE Anniversary) it should have an effect.
and it's best to set it really low like the minimum (10 ") to get the best 3d effect, correct?
post #963 of 967 Old 12-24-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post
and it's best to set it really low like the minimum (10 ") to get the best 3d effect, correct?
Best is subjective but I believe the effect of this setting is just to increase the horizontal offset as the screen size gets set smaller.

While this may make the 3D more pronounced, whether that is necessarily better is up for debate.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #964 of 967 Old 12-24-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 51
In an ideal world, the system will automatically set the 3D to its maximum setting based on screen size. What this boils down to is setting maximum separation between left and right channels to the average interpupillary distance, usually around 60mm. Most genuine 3D software can do this automatically. This means that decreasing the screen size would be detrimental because it would spread the left/right images much farther apart than your eyes, causing your eyes to diverge to focus on it, resulting in an almost immediate splitting headache.

Take the Trine games, for example. Objects in the far distance are exactly where they need to be, at maximum separation based on screen size. It's like viewing something at infinite distance, like an actual mountain range fifty miles away, or things like the moon or stars. Why would you want to change that to anything other than perfect?

Now, this doesn't refer to games that "fake" the effect using cheap-ass reprojection techniques. Those are ****, and they deserve to be shat upon. I won't even play them, the experience is so far below native 3D that it's far better to just play them 2D. Gaming is not the same as movies... it's either native or nothing.
obveron likes this.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #965 of 967 Old Today, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post
In an ideal world, the system will automatically set the 3D to its maximum setting based on screen size. What this boils down to is setting maximum separation between left and right channels to the average interpupillary distance, usually around 60mm. ...

it would spread the left/right images much farther apart than your eyes, causing your eyes to diverge to focus on it, resulting in an almost immediate splitting headache.
So here's the thing... doesn't that only apply if the screen is right up in your face?

Because the further you sit from the display, the relatively smaller the divergence gets to your eyes. So even if your interpupillary distance was exactly 60mm and I displayed something with a 70mm divergence on a display 10' away from you, wouldn't that be totally fine and simply cause the item to appear to be closer than the display?

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #966 of 967 Old Today, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
So here's the thing... doesn't that only apply if the screen is right up in your face?

Because the further you sit from the display, the relatively smaller the divergence gets to your eyes. So even if your interpupillary distance was exactly 60mm and I displayed something with a 70mm divergence on a display 10' away from you, wouldn't that be totally fine and simply cause the item to appear to be closer than the display?

Convergence greater than IPD is fine I believe. Divergence is not.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #967 of 967 Old Today, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 51
If your IPD is 60mm, than 3D objects separated by 60mm will appear at "infinite" depth, so far away that you lose depth perception. You'd only want that for things in the very far distance.

Distance does factor into the discomfort, that's how they're able to get away with much higher divergences in the theaters, because the screen is thirty or forty feet away (or longer, depending on what size your theater is). But, since the eye can only determine depth up to a point, i.e. IPD = both eyes staring directly ahead (not converged at all), divergence of any degree is unnatural. Just because your eyes can do it doesn't mean they should. That's where the headaches can come in. Bottom line is that you never want to push depth beyond your IPD.

Now, as bd2003 said, that's for depth. For pop-out, you can do whatever you want. That's the way our eyes work, they can converge damn near far enough to focus on your own nose. Practically any amount of negative parallax (anything in front of the screen, i.e. "pop-out") is acceptable. But, since we are talking about games here... games tend to render almost everything at positive parallax, for distance and depth, the "window" analogy. That's where you don't want to push too far.

Trine 2 is the only one of the current generation (PC notwithstanding) that I've played, but not lately (I enjoy the look of the game, but I'm rubbish at actually playing it). I seem to recall it had amazing depth but not much pop-out. But on the flip side, I think the effect is adjustable. My recommendation would be to leave your screen settings alone, set the game's 3D effect to put the player characters at screen depth, and just let the game do its thing. The folks that designed the 3D effect in games like that actually know what they're doing.. it's best to just let them do it, rather than think that you can do it "better" (as noted above, this is referring to native 3D and not reprojected 3D).

I learned the most about 3D projection, various techniques of depth and pop-out and so on not by reading, but doing. And the more 3D content I created, the more I learned what works and what doesn't. I've also learned that most people who want to fiddle with 3D to make it "better" tend to not have a clue what they're talking about, and are, simply, doing it all wrong.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Playstation 3 160gb System , Microsoft Xbox , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com