The Official AVS 3D Console Games Topic! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 955 Old 06-18-2010, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm a PC gamer with the nVidia set up....so I love 3d gaming. I also have a 360 and a PS3 (connected to a Samsung 3D set). I played the Motorstorm and Wipeout demos last night and thought they both looked good....much better than I was expecting. Bring on the content.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 955 Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post

I'm a PC gamer with the nVidia set up....so I love 3d gaming. I also have a 360 and a PS3 (connected to a Samsung 3D set). I played the Motorstorm and Wipeout demos last night and thought they both looked good....much better than I was expecting. Bring on the content.......

I downloaded the 3D demos for MLB 2010, Super Stardust and Pain. Super Stardust is a blast and the 3D is a huge part of the game experience. I haven't tried Pain yet as it took a long time to set up (I went to bed while it was setting up). I was already sold on 3D movies and now I'm sold on 3D gaming. I'm ready for more of both.
post #93 of 955 Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't wait to get the MLB demo. Sure would like to see an actual MLB game too. I'm a fan of good pitching more than good hitting (though who doesn't like a beast home run), and 3D could radically change your perception of late breaking movement on curveballs and sinkers. Would love to see a special behind the plate 3D mode.
post #94 of 955 Old 06-18-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

So I never use my PS3 (I use a standalone BD player and a 360 for gaming), it's just sitting in my equipment closet, but I'm going to pull it out this weekend to try out some of the 3D games.

I believe there are 4 games and the MLB demo? Are all of these games downloadable? What game is the best to get (take in account gameplay and 3d effects)?

If you go to the Playstation Store, and then click on demos, then click on 3D demos, I think there are actually 4 different demos you can try. Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Super Stardust HD, Wipeout HD and MLB 10' The Show. So, you can try 4 of the 5 3D games.

3 of the 5 games work in 3D for their "full" versions. Wipeout HD, Super Stardust and Pain. 2 of the 5 games work in 3D for the demo versions of the game only (Motorstorm: Pacific Rift and MLB '10: The Show). I'm still wondering why I can play the full version of Motorstorm or MLB in 3D. The demo is cool and all, but both of those games are available now, so why can't I just play the full game in 3D?
post #95 of 955 Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 PM

I downloaded Wipeout and Super Stardust.

Wipeout had very cool 3d effects, but the ghosting was rather severe on my Samsung Plasma. I gave up on it.

Super Stardust on the other hand works flawlessly on my tv. My friend and I played it in 3d for about 2 hours. We became so used to the 3d affects in that game that we were sorely dissapointed when we started playing UFC '10 in 2d. We both commented on how flat and lame the non 3d game looked.

BTW i installed the new firmware on my TV today, but havent had a chance to try out Wipeout again since doing so. I'll try both games again on the new firmware and see if there is any improvement/degredation in performance for either game.
post #96 of 955 Old 06-23-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm hooked on Super Star Dust. It plays just as cool as it looks in 3D. No way 3D is a fad as some keep saying. The games are much better in 3D.
post #97 of 955 Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I'm hooked on Super Star Dust. It plays just as cool as it looks in 3D. No way 3D is a fad as some keep saying. The games are much better in 3D.

I completely agree...I just played Super Star Dust for the first time on my Panny and it was incredible. Didn't see the MLB demo but will look for that tonight.

I'm more sold on the 3D for gaming than I am for movies at this point.
post #98 of 955 Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

You know an amazing thing about Super Stardust HD, is that I've been playing that game for years now, and it's always been one of my favorites for the PS3. My highest score has been just under 6 million (which I know is lame), but after playing it in 3D, I got my best score ever. I was barely under 10 million. It was a new high score for me, and I have the highest score among people on my friends list. Of course, not too many people on my friends list plays Super Stardust.

But yeah, the 3D effect was more than just eye candy. It helped me play the game better.
post #99 of 955 Old 06-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

anyone disappointed with the mlb demo? i was hoping for more....the graphics seem to be too downgraded for the 3d impact (unlike MS where the gfxs are def worse but the 3d is worth it).
post #100 of 955 Old 06-24-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delt31 View Post

anyone disappointed with the mlb demo? i was hoping for more....the graphics seem to be too downgraded for the 3d impact (unlike MS where the gfxs are def worse but the 3d is worth it).

It's funny, because MLB 10 was the first game that I tried in 3D on the PS3, and I was blown away by it..... at first. Little did I know, that the 3D on the PS3 could be much more impressive. Then I played Wipeout HD, and was much more impressed. Then I played Super Stardust HD and was even more impressed. Then I played Motorstorm, and my mind was blown by the fact that I could practically see a country mile "into" the TV screen while playing that game.

Yes, yes, I know the resolution is sub 720p on Motorstorm, but I still think it's the single most impressive 3D game on the PS3, simply because of the distance that you can see "into" the screen. You can literally see WAY down the track. It's hard to explain without playing it yourself.

As for MLB 10, yeah, the 3D effect is a bit more subtle in this game, and it isn't exactly jaw dropping. There is this one camera view however, that they show on replays that is pretty jaw dropping. It's when they show a side view of your batter fouling a pitch back into the stands. Looks absolutely amazing, and the baseball appears to be floating in space as it flies towards the stands. Unfortunately, that viewpoint is only available during replays.

MLB 10 doesn't suck in 3D, but it's certainly the least impressive of the ones I tried, imo.
post #101 of 955 Old 06-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

It's funny, because MLB 10 was the first game that I tried in 3D on the PS3, and I was blown away by it..... at first. Little did I know, that the 3D on the PS3 could be much more impressive. Then I played Wipeout HD, and was much more impressed. Then I played Super Stardust HD and was even more impressed. Then I played Motorstorm, and my mind was blown by the fact that I could practically see a country mile "into" the TV screen while playing that game.

Yes, yes, I know the resolution is sub 720p on Motorstorm, but I still think it's the single most impressive 3D game on the PS3, simply because of the distance that you can see "into" the screen. You can literally see WAY down the track. It's hard to explain without playing it yourself.

As for MLB 10, yeah, the 3D effect is a bit more subtle in this game, and it isn't exactly jaw dropping. There is this one camera view however, that they show on replays that is pretty jaw dropping. It's when they show a side view of your batter fouling a pitch back into the stands. Looks absolutely amazing, and the baseball appears to be floating in space as it flies towards the stands. Unfortunately, that viewpoint is only available during replays.

MLB 10 doesn't suck in 3D, but it's certainly the least impressive of the ones I tried, imo.

Couldn't agree with you more - MS is by far the most impressive and simply will sell 3d on its own. It transforms the way you play racing games. The 3d impact is over the top where you feel like the dirt is hitting you in the face. If they ever had that running for 1080p - which I'm sure will happen, good lord!
post #102 of 955 Old 07-13-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

I can't remember what sites i saw these on but it looks like a few upcoming games have 3d

Ghost recon future soldier - will be available on 360 and ps3
Tron evolution - looks like at this point 3d on ps3
mortal kombat - as well on ps3
de blob - on 360 not sure about ps3
crysis 2 - on 360 and ps3

Just thought I would add the few I remembered.

here is a link to some I mentioned as well as a few more

http://www.videogamer.com/features/a...2010-1150.html

Hope I helped here
post #103 of 955 Old 07-13-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan M View Post

I can't remember what sites i saw these on but it looks like a few upcoming games have 3d

Hope I helped here

Killzone 3 - PS3
Gran Turismo 5 - PS3
post #104 of 955 Old 07-13-2010, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

I don't see why not. The XBOX has no such firmware capability and it works the same with the checkerboard signal.

To simplify, the signal is a normal frame as far as the PS3 is concerned. Just that every other pixel is coded by the game for a particular eye. The PS3 wouldn't know what it was showing, other than a full 1080P frame. The TV doesn't either. The TV separates the pixels in the checkerboard to present them to each eye, but only after one manually switches the 3D mode on in the Samsung and Mits 3D-Ready TVs.

One of the main reasons for the firmware upgrade is so the PS3 can decode the new HDMI 1.4(+) 3D formats, and communicate with the new TVs as to what to present to them. It's an automatic system.

We still maintain hope that after the firmware upgrades, the PS3 will also convert the HDMI 1.4 Blu-ray signal to checkerboard. That is, that Sony implements it.

As it can't communicate that with the DLPs, it will have to be a manual selection in the PS3 menu itself, along with the existing selection in the TV menu. Not to worry, because we will have Mitsubishi 3D adapter to fall back on, if Sony fails us.

I have a 3d ready Samsung LED DLP and have played the Avatar game in 3d months ago with Samsung SSG1000 3d active shutter glasses.

no update to the 360 or anything. its built into the content (software). this is why i dont understand why we need 3d bluray players. it seems like marketing ploy. they could put the 3d option on the bluray disc to turn it on or off just like the games do. the player shouldn't matter. just need 3d content and 3d display and glasses.
post #105 of 955 Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
The decoder chip in existing BD players can't decode the MVC codec. It requires new silicon.
post #106 of 955 Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

The decoder chip in existing BD players can't decode the MVC codec. It requires new silicon.

hm well the games didn't require anything new and Samsung plays their 3d demos off of a usb stick so i'm sure a rip of a 3d bluray would work palyed off a pc or media tank on a 3d tv.
post #107 of 955 Old 07-16-2010, 05:47 AM

Sony has successfully pulled me into their PS3 world. I've been an X360 gamer for years. Only bought the PS3 recently because of its promised 3D capability. I've tried out the Wipeout, Super StarDust, and MotorStorm Pacific Rift demos. All of them look terrific. I ended up buying the full version of Super StartDust and can't wait to get MotorStorm PR when the full version is 3D. Oh yeah, if Motorstorm Apocalypse is anything like Pacific Rift, I'll get my hands on that, too.

I've played Avatar in 3D on the X360. It's just as amazing looking.

In my experience, racing games benefit the most with 3D.
post #108 of 955 Old 07-16-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

hm well the games didn't require anything new and Samsung plays their 3d demos off of a usb stick so i'm sure a rip of a 3d bluray would work palyed off a pc or media tank on a 3d tv.

Those 3D demos are 720P SxS.
post #109 of 955 Old 07-16-2010, 12:01 PM

Quick question about the games. I don't see how you actually play the games in 3D. Motorstorm is the only one I saw the "play in 3D" option, but it wouldn't let me select it. I (obviously) was able to use my samsung c7000's 2D->3D conversion, but I'm thinking that is not what they meant by "3D games" since I can do that with any of my games (which by the way, some look incredible that way; ie. god of war, just cause 2, fifa10, etc.)

Anyone have any input on what I'm doing wrong and why I can't seem to figure this out?
post #110 of 955 Old 07-16-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Go through the video setup on your PS3 and make sure it says 3D TV detected.
post #111 of 955 Old 07-16-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Go through the video setup on your PS3 and make sure it says 3D TV detected.

Are you talking about the Video output settings under "Settings->Display Settings"?

I looked everywhere I could think of and didn't see it, so just want to make sure I'm not just missing it. (btw, I do have the most current firmware).

Thanks.
post #112 of 955 Old 07-17-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Its somewhere in there. It will say 3D TV detected and enable the 3D mode.
post #113 of 955 Old 07-17-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Its somewhere in there. It will say 3D TV detected and enable the 3D mode.

Thanks. I'll take another look through. If someone gets a chance and doesn't mind doing a quick breakdown of where it should be it would be much appreciated.
post #114 of 955 Old 07-17-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthscrapE View Post

Thanks. I'll take another look through. If someone gets a chance and doesn't mind doing a quick breakdown of where it should be it would be much appreciated.

It should be listed as one of the modes under HDMI. If it isn't listed, it means the system does not see your TV as a 3D capable TV.

ASUS Formula III Rampage MB
Intel I7 960 CPU ATI 5850
12GB RAM 58TB Storage
Windows 7 Ultra 64 Bit
Arcsoft TMT5, Ceton Infinity4
Onkyo 5008 to Samsung HL67A750
post #115 of 955 Old 07-17-2010, 03:02 PM

you have to auto 3d enabled on the tv settings
post #116 of 955 Old 07-17-2010, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Turns out my receiver won't support the 3D signal running through it. I thought it did at first, but turns out it didn't. Now I just have to figure out how I need to run everything to get optimal picture and sound...
post #117 of 955 Old 07-17-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

If you go to the Playstation Store, and then click on demos, then click on 3D demos, I think there are actually 4 different demos you can try. Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Super Stardust HD, Wipeout HD and MLB 10' The Show. So, you can try 4 of the 5 3D games.

3 of the 5 games work in 3D for their "full" versions. Wipeout HD, Super Stardust and Pain. 2 of the 5 games work in 3D for the demo versions of the game only (Motorstorm: Pacific Rift and MLB '10: The Show). I'm still wondering why I can play the full version of Motorstorm or MLB in 3D. The demo is cool and all, but both of those games are available now, so why can't I just play the full game in 3D?

anthony question for you. iam not much in to gaming but you mention that both of these games are available now? i have a ps3 updated and waiting for the up date for 3d movies. i dont fallow games much but i think i might try out a game in 3d. so these games you mention are true 3d your what explain please thanks have a nice day.
post #118 of 955 Old 07-18-2010, 06:10 PM

Liked: 13
all 5 games that he mentioned are stereoscopic 3D... i've played them all and enjoy motorstorm the most...
post #119 of 955 Old 07-18-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan M View Post

Just thought I would add the few I remembered.

here is a link to some I mentioned as well as a few more

http://www.videogamer.com/features/a...2010-1150.html

Hope I helped here

By reading the link I think Crysis 2 will be the only 360 3d game from the list
post #120 of 955 Old 07-18-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthscrapE View Post

I read somewhere here on the forums of at least one person who was able to fool the PS3.

Connect directly to the TV from the PS3 and run the PS3 setup, then change connections (PS3=>AVR=>3DTV) and the PS3 may still be able to output 3D through the AVR.

To setup 3D on the PS3: Settings> Display Settings> Video Output Settings> HDMI> Automatic

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Playstation 3 160gb System , Microsoft Xbox , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page