AVS Forum banner
123K views 979 replies 202 participants last post by  TonyDP 
#1 ·
I just thought since we have a Blu Ray 3D release date page (and only a few of those) and since there is a lot of PS3 3D update stuff that we should have a 3D console games thread (XBOX 360 included). Not a lot out there yet but I think it's as good of time as any to start this.

Well since I own a XBOX 360 so I'll start with those.

1. Avatar the game - supports a few different 3D formats including checkerboard, Already available

PS3 and XBOX 360

2. Invincible Tiger - supports a few different 3D formats including checkerboard, Already available

PS3 and XBOX 360 - can be downloaded from there networks

3. 3D infinity - supports anaglyph and side by side, Already available

XBOX 360 indie game - can be downloaded from network (not sure if this available from PS3)

Anyway these are the ones I know of if anyone has any others please post and let us know what we got to game with in 3D. Also any release dates of any up and coming 3D games would be appreciated also.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey darth did you read the topic. I didn't ask which had more available in 3D consoles or pc . I have a pc as well but it takes a high end pc to play those games well and maybe some people already have a PS3 or XBOX 360 and don't want to invest in a high end gaming pc or they are just a casual gamer. This topic has nothing to do with console vs. pc war and wasn't intended to. There is a lack of 3D media out there. The more that we know is available and post about it the more people that might buy into 3D in there living room, in the end getting more content made available for everyone. Some of the content isn't even labeled that it is S3D on the packaging (avatar the game).

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan M /forum/post/18571996

Hey darth did you read the topic. I didn't ask which had more available in 3D consoles or pc . I have a pc as well but it takes a high end pc to play those games well and maybe some people already have a PS3 or XBOX 360 and don't want to invest in a high end gaming pc or they are just a casual gamer. This topic has nothing to do with console vs. pc war and wasn't intended to. There is a lack of 3D media out there. The more that we know is available and post about it the more people that might buy into 3D in there living room, in the end getting more content made available for everyone. Some of the content isn't even labeled that it is S3D on the packaging (avatar the game).

point is content does not need to be made in 3d with PC . . .entry point is 140 GPU (Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT). Nvidia software renders over 425 titles in 3d on the fly . . .trust me, I am well-versed on this topic

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan M /forum/post/18571996

Some of the content isn't even labeled that it is S3D on the packaging (avatar the game).

I just spent hours trying to find this same information online through search engines.

Does anyone know why there's a dearth of information about current S3D games such as these?

Are there more to be discovered?

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF /forum/post/18575052

Can Avatar the game be played from the PS3 in checkerboard 3D, according to above, before the firmware updates that are coming including 3.3??

I don't see why not. The XBOX has no such firmware capability and it works the same with the checkerboard signal.

To simplify, the signal is a normal frame as far as the PS3 is concerned. Just that every other pixel is coded by the game for a particular eye. The PS3 wouldn't know what it was showing, other than a full 1080P frame. The TV doesn't either. The TV separates the pixels in the checkerboard to present them to each eye, but only after one manually switches the 3D mode on in the Samsung and Mits 3D-Ready TVs.

One of the main reasons for the firmware upgrade is so the PS3 can decode the new HDMI 1.4(+) 3D formats, and communicate with the new TVs as to what to present to them. It's an automatic system.

We still maintain hope that after the firmware upgrades, the PS3 will also convert the HDMI 1.4 Blu-ray signal to checkerboard. That is, that Sony implements it.

As it can't communicate that with the DLPs, it will have to be a manual selection in the PS3 menu itself, along with the existing selection in the TV menu. Not to worry, because we will have Mitsubishi 3D adapter to fall back on, if Sony fails us.

#9 ·
I heard somewhere that Disney's racing game, "Split/Second", from the makers of Pure, will have Stereoscopic 3D support, similar to Avatar and Invincible Tiger. But I've done a ton of google searches on this, and haven't found any other sources. I can't really remember where I heard it, I think it was a gaming podcast. Anyways, I guess the game will be out in a week or two, so we'll find out.

#13 ·
 Sony Japan has announced that three 3D games for the PS3 will come out in Japan on June 11. Also Eurogamer has reported that Wipeout HD will support full resolution 3D video (rendered at 720p30 per eye with the video sent using 720p60 Frame Packing) which might make it the first console game to support full resolution 3D video. The other two 3D PS3 games might support full resolution 3D video as well but Eurogamer doesn't specifically state that in the article.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul /forum/post/18713998

Eurogamer has reported[/url] that Wipeout HD will support full resolution 3D video (rendered at 720p30 per eye with the video sent using 720p60 Frame Packing) which might make it the first console game to support full resolution 3D video. The other two 3D PS3 games might support full resolution 3D video as well but Eurogamer doesn't specifically state that in the article.

Full Resolution? If Wipeout HD was full resolution , it would be 1080p at 60 frames to each eye. The PS3 is unable to do this as far as I'm aware, due to limitations with it's hdmi chipset, and the hdmi chipset of current 3DTV's.

Wipeout HD's native resolution is 1080p, and it's 60fps. When being converted to 3D it takes a hit in the resolution and frame rate. Dropping from 1080p to 720p, and frames being chopped in half. I'm more worried about the frame rate then the resolution issue.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18714451

Full Resolution? If Wipeout HD was full resolution , it would be 1080p at 60 frames to each eye.

I was referring to the use of full resolution Frame Packing to transport the 3D video instead of a half resolution 3D method. I believe this will be the first time Frame Packing output has been possible with a game console.

#16 ·
Looks like we can add Tecmo Bowl® Throwback, downloadable from the Playstation® Store

From The Playstation® Store:

Quote:
The legend is back! Tecmo Bowl® Throwback is a remake of the classic Tecmo Super Bowl, with the same rules and fast-paced gameplay as the original, but with the option to play it in brand new high definition 3D graphics.

Could someone please comment on the 3D implementation and options, if you download and play this game?

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohvaperuna /forum/post/18592418

Since most of the games are 3D, so I would assume that it would not be _that_ big thing to make it "real 3D". (?)

Do you think it would be possible that already existing games would get a patch to make them "real 3D"?

The Avatar game on the 360 runs at about 25fps when 3D is enabled. I haven't tried it w/o 3D enabled but its aliased to all h*ll. The PC version looks lightyears better. nVidia needs to hurry up with their 3D software for TV's.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle /forum/post/18719127

Looks like we can add Tecmo Bowl® Throwback, downloadable from the Playstation® Store

From The Playstation® Store:

Could someone please comment on the 3D implementation and options, if you download and play this game?

When they are talking about 3D for Tecmo Bowl, they aren't talking about the kind of 3D you're thinking. For a very long time, video games were simply 2 dimensional. Then, starting around 1993 or 1994, we started to see 3D video games. Not 3D where you use glasses, but 3D in the fact that everything wasn't flat. The original Tecmo Bowl was a 2D game, so when they are talking about High Resolution 3D graphics, they aren't talking about stereoscopic at all.

There almost needs to be a totally new term for 3D in relation to video games, because I could see alot of people being confused by this.

#19 ·
Can the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter games be played in 3d?

These games have splitscreen coop (side by side). When one player dies, the second player can choose to see what the other player is playing on the other side of the screen, (if there are no respawns), so both sides of the screen would show the same image. Can a 3d tv interpret this scenario as 3d, since they accept the side by side format?

To do this, you would need:

Xbox 360 and GRAW, GRAW 2 or PS3 with GRAW 2

2 controllers

(don't know if a 360 without hdmi would work but it might, since the splitscreen coop can be shown on a tv with component cables.

Settings:

coop (any mode)

Extra lives to 0

start the game

shoot the 2nd player

on 2nd player, hit a trigger button so player 1 is shown on left side

push the right stick so the view switches to first person

turn on side by side 3d on tv or glasses

Probably won't work, but it might be worth to give it a try. I'm still saving for my tv (hopefully will have the $ saved by black friday) so I can't try it.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18722562

(snip) ...starting around 1993 or 1994, we started to see 3D video games. Not 3D where you use glasses, but 3D in the fact that everything wasn't flat. The original Tecmo Bowl was a 2D game, so when they are talking about High Resolution 3D graphics, they aren't talking about stereoscopic at all...

Can you substantiate this? The game was just released this week, not in 1994. It is not the old version. I may be wrong, but I didn't read what you are describing in the release below from Playstation. If what you state is correct, why would the 3D be an "option"?

Quote:
The legend is back! Tecmo Bowl® Throwback is a remake of the classic Tecmo Super Bowl, with the same rules and fast-paced gameplay as the original, but with the option to play it in brand new high definition 3D graphics.

Have you played it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18722562

(cont.)...needs to be a totally new term for 3D in relation to video games...(snip)

I agree. That's why in my post, I asked for someone who has played it to confirm the 3D.

#21 ·
There are millions of games that are 3D. There are hundreds of games that are Stereoscopic 3D. Most of those are on the PC. Currently, there are only two console games that I know of that are in digital stereoscopic 3D, Invincible Tiger and Avatar. Starting around the beginning of e3, Sony will drop a new firmware update that will increase that total by about 4 games. And then more games will follow.

The bottom line is that almost every single game in the last two generations of gaming were 3D, (PS3 and PS2's generations), and in the generation before that (PS1), probably 60 percent of the games were 3D. But again, I'm not talking about Stereoscopic 3D, or S3D. Gaming companies need to start using the term S3D, to avoid confusion.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18723454

There are millions of games that are 3D. There are hundreds of games that are Stereoscopic 3D. Most of those are on the PC. Currently, there are only two console games that I know of that are in digital stereoscopic 3D, Invincible Tiger and Avatar. Starting around the beginning of e3, Sony will drop a new firmware update that will increase that total by about 4 games. And then more games will follow.

The bottom line is that almost every single game in the last two generations of gaming were 3D, (PS3 and PS2's generations), and in the generation before that (PS1), probably 60 percent of the games were 3D. But again, I'm not talking about Stereoscopic 3D, or S3D. Gaming companies need to start using the term S3D, to avoid confusion.

Again, how do you know that Tecmo Bowl® Throwback (a Brand New game) is NOT stereoscopic 3D?

#23 ·
#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle /forum/post/18723510

Again, how do you know that Tecmo Bowl® Throwback (a Brand New game) is NOT stereoscopic 3D?

I know because there are currently only 2 stereoscopic games on the Xbox 360, and I've played both of them, and I'm always checking for any new announcements regarding stereoscopic games on consoles. I've never heard anything about Tecmo Bowl Throwback being S3D. I listen to a ton of gaming podcasts, and check up on a ton of gaming websites, as well as 3D specific websites, and have never heard anything about Tecmo Bowl Throwback and S3D.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18723598

I know because there are currently only 2 stereoscopic games on the Xbox 360, and I've played both of them, and I'm always checking for any new announcements regarding stereoscopic games on consoles. I've never heard anything about Tecmo Bowl Throwback being S3D. I listen to a ton of gaming podcasts, and check up on a ton of gaming websites, as well as 3D specific websites, and have never heard anything about Tecmo Bowl Throwback and S3D.

You missed the point. Not hearing about something does not mean it doesn't exist. I never said you were wrong, just that I wanted factual information, not a litany of "because I say so" responses. This is a science forum, after all, not some opinionated blog

As I stated in my previous post, I found the facts myself at IGN.com http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/108/1084622p1.html which proves your point for you.

#26 ·
I don't think Tecmo Bowl is in stereoscopic 3D. Nowhere have I read that it is. When it says 3D mode it means rendered 3D polygons not stereoscopic 3D. This is something that is going to be really confusing because for a long time videogames have called themselves 3D but were/are obviously not stereoscopic 3D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.