Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 58 Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just signed up Comcast.

They have the fastest internet of my choices (ATT Uverse and DirecTV) because they are true fibre based. Verizon FIOS wasn't available for my place, or I might have chosen that.

Will put DishNetwork on "account hold" for a few months to see if anything changes - but it's likely I'll just close it down.

A shame, as I had R5000 HD setup on Dish for anything special I wanted to tape. Luckily I can fix up a Comcast receiver with R5000 also and even capture 3D.

Had a terrible experience with DishNetwork's customer service "authorisation/security Nazi department" last year, to be honest, which 100% affected my decision - before that everything was fine for over 14 years.

The nice thing with Comcast is that I'm getting rid of ATT also - their telephone and internet service was HORRIBLE. Now I'll have everything under one umbrella, and I'm getting 10 times the bandwidth that I did with ATT.

Oh yah - and will have 3D channels now... Dish, you were boneheaded not to address this sooner...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 02-01-2011, 05:19 PM

Liked: 10
Ditto here. They promised 3d content by 2010 4th quarter and ppv for an expensive ird upgrade doesn't cut it. Think I will even pay out the fees to get off this sinking ship. Espn and Disney hd plus no 3d, direct tv here I come.
post #33 of 58 Old 03-16-2011, 12:21 PM

I have talked to 3 different "chat" operators and 1 phone operator, they have all 4 stated that 3D is coming to DISH but have no exact dates as to when this will be.

Of course they all have said to me "DISH does have 3D but you must have active internet connection and is only available via VOD through DISH" but if you do not have "fast dedicated internet" you can throw that out the window (which is me). I have urged everyone i know (whether they have 3D tech or not) to contact DISH and tell them they would like to see 3D content available (like their competitors).

Everytime i have mentioned that their competition has dedicated 3D channels they change their conversation and state that they DO have 3D, but IMO its not the same . . . so if you have DISH do your part!! Contact them and complain . . trust me it works ! especially in big numbers !!
post #34 of 58 Old 03-16-2011, 05:04 PM

I get 3D PPV on my 922, and I've never connected it to the internet.
post #35 of 58 Old 03-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Fashion TV broadcasts 3D every once in a while. They had a broadcast on Tuesday so I DVR'd it but it looked normal on my 722k VIP. That sucks if the only way to view 3D is on the 922.
post #36 of 58 Old 03-18-2011, 10:56 AM

I have been a dish customer for many years now, I had a vip 722 and a 622 witch i purchased a year ago and me being a dish customer they would not give me a vip922 witch is the only receiver that would do 3D if they ever get 3D,and wanted me to sign a 2 year contract, and give them 300.00 to rent the receiver, I am now a Direct tv customer and could not be happier, seen, basketball, boxing, and great shows on 3d net. Really happy with my decision .
post #37 of 58 Old 03-29-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlluna View Post

I have been a dish customer for many years now, I had a vip 722 and a 622 witch i purchased a year ago and me being a dish customer they would not give me a vip922 witch is the only receiver that would do 3D if they ever get 3D,and wanted me to sign a 2 year contract, and give them 300.00 to rent the receiver, I am now a Direct tv customer and could not be happier, seen, basketball, boxing, and great shows on 3d net. Really happy with my decision .

Me too, just recently ditched the dish and joined directv. Glad I did. Have fun catching up mr ergen
post #38 of 58 Old 03-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlluna View Post

It may be possible to work around this limitation of the 3D via the 922 box. Long story short, my wife was watching something on Dish that looked like stereoscopic images (side-by-side). It was the Fashion channel doing beta testing for their new 24 hour 3D station that's launching this summer. After noticing this, I went to my HTPC and using my 3D capture card I put the software in 3D mode and voila! 3D TV from Dish Network on my ViP722. I also recorded a few minutes of the broadcast using component cables (it only recorded SBS, not the actual 3D signal/image). Yes, models in 3D I hope it'll be part of the Dish Platinum package. The 3D look really good. Much better than 2D to 3D converted via software. Hopefully Dish will have more channels broadcasting in SBS by next year.

I can only speak on my experience with a HTPC and a 3D projector, but I would think If the signal is broadcast in SBS, you should be able to put the 3D device in 3D mode and it would work - like my capture card in my HTPC. Don't 3D TV's have a 3D menu option or a button on the remote that would turn the signal (in this case, SBS) into...3D? Well, I hope it wasn't a fluke that they were broadcasting in SBS. Maybe the signal on any box but the ViP922 will always be in SBS? It's just that the ViP922 would convert it to the "blurry" display needed for shutter glasses? I hope this is true, because this is exactly what I would need for my 3D HTPC setup, a SBS video feed.
post #39 of 58 Old 03-30-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Bishoplord- Thanks for your report. It is encouraging for us VIP722 owners.

When I was at CES, none of their reps I spoke with could tell me what you observed. All they would say was I had to upgrade to 922 as if that was a talking point for the show.

Here is what I know about 3D and it might add some clarity to your suspicions.

I have a 3D system using a Sony VW90ES projector. I also have one BluRay from another country that is in SBS and that is all I can experiment with. I'll have to check out the Fashion Channel on Dish to see what I can see.
Anyway, the The Sony projector needs to be manually put in 3D mode for SBS in order to achieve 3D. It then WORKS with the active shutter glasses to get a single low resolution 3D image on the screen. PQ on my program is not great but it works for 3D.

The disk I have is kind of strange in that when you select 3D as opposed to 2D (default) the submenu appears and the movie offers over under and SBS as well as two different anaglyph presentations. There is no option for frame compacting which is what is necessary for the projector to work in auto 3D mode.
post #40 of 58 Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the explanation Don.

Here's the app on my HTPC. Instead of "TV", mine has "capture" and shows a Camcorder device, and I select HDMI from the drop down menu and I'm able to stream Dish Network this way. Looks great. There's a slight delay, but it's not too bad. When I'm streaming an SBS video (Fashion TV or Xbox 360), I press the 3D button (at the bottom of this app) and then the Nvidia 3D Vision driver kicks in and I put on the 3D glasses. You have to have 3D vision and configure the setting in the app first, otherwise by default it's anaglyph red/cyan. It sounds like you would be able to view Dish Network 3D (Fashion TV 3D for example) simply by manually setting your projector to SBS 3D mode.

Quote:
The disk I have is kind of strange in that when you select 3D as opposed to 2D (default) the submenu appears and the movie offers over under and SBS as well as two different anaglyph presentations. There is no option for frame compacting which is what is necessary for the projector to work in auto 3D mode.
Like this?
post #41 of 58 Old 03-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

I've read that Sky TV in the UK broadcasts in SBS. I'm hoping this is how Dish Network will broadcast their 3D.

http://www.3d-forums.com/split-scree...nnel-t171.html

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/3d/
post #42 of 58 Old 03-31-2011, 12:17 AM

I wasn't about to wait for 2012 or later for Dish to get some full time 3d channels(non PPV) and jumped ship to Directv two weeks ago. Couldn't be happier. Not only do I get 3d channels, but a helluva lot more On-demand than what Dish had -- which was next to nothing.

I'll be honest, I miss being able able to record 3 shows at once off the 722, but I upgraded to two dvrs from directv to allow me to record 4 at once. It's just a little more difficult to keep track of recordings on two boxes instead of the one.
post #43 of 58 Old 03-31-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Dish will broadcast in one or more of the HDMI 1.4a broadcasts in the followiing link:
http://www.hdmi.org/press/press_release.aspx?prid=120
Note: these are the same as the General Options shown at the top of the 3D Setting dialog box shown in Link #40 above.
Note: D* broadcasts almost all of their 3D programs in 1080i@60 SbS
post #44 of 58 Old 04-01-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord View Post

I can only speak on my experience with a HTPC and a 3D projector, but I would think If the signal is broadcast in SBS, you should be able to put the 3D device in 3D mode and it would work - like my capture card in my HTPC. Don't 3D TV's have a 3D menu option or a button on the remote that would turn the signal (in this case, SBS) into...3D? Well, I hope it wasn't a fluke that they were broadcasting in SBS. Maybe the signal on any box but the ViP922 will always be in SBS? It's just that the ViP922 would convert it to the "blurry" display needed for shutter glasses? I hope this is true, because this is exactly what I would need for my 3D HTPC setup, a SBS video feed.

from what i understand, if you read the hdmi requirement for broadcasting 3d posted above, you will see that any 3d display that is hdmi 1.4a compliant will be able to decode a 1080i SBS signal.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/3d/3d-programming.html
according to this, dish network has chosen to broadcast in SBS format. what i dont understand is the "3d ready" vip 922 requirement. as you have noted, a 1080i SBS signal, for all intents and purposes, is EXACTLY the same as a 1080i60Hz signal.

having to upgrade your receiver is an artifical requirement imposed by dish network. i dont even see why a firmware upgrade for any existing boxes would be necessary to display SBS content, except maybe to keep the average joe from complaing about seeing squished double images on his regular tv.

personally, i am a budget consumer with a single 211k EHD because i refuse to pay extra fees for dvrs or extra receivers. people like me are the ones who chose dish network because they were the best bang for the buck and advertised as such to a large extent last year. if they continue to treat us poorly, like they did earlier this year by jacking up prices without warning, then they surely will lose my support. i know i wont be making a huge impact on their bottom line, but im sure i am not the only one feeling this way.
post #45 of 58 Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

FYI -

If you go to the on demand section and search for 3D, they're showing My Bloody Valentine for Free. I "rented" it last night, but it didn't look '3D', so I stopped it. It'll be good for 30 days in my rental section.
post #46 of 58 Old 04-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgnome View Post

from what i understand, if you read the hdmi requirement for broadcasting 3d posted above, you will see that any 3d display that is hdmi 1.4a compliant will be able to decode a 1080i SBS signal.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/3d/3d-programming.html
according to this, dish network has chosen to broadcast in SBS format. what i dont understand is the "3d ready" vip 922 requirement. as you have noted, a 1080i SBS signal, for all intents and purposes, is EXACTLY the same as a 1080i60Hz signal.

having to upgrade your receiver is an artifical requirement imposed by dish network. i dont even see why a firmware upgrade for any existing boxes would be necessary to display SBS content, except maybe to keep the average joe from complaing about seeing squished double images on his regular tv.

personally, i am a budget consumer with a single 211k EHD because i refuse to pay extra fees for dvrs or extra receivers. people like me are the ones who chose dish network because they were the best bang for the buck and advertised as such to a large extent last year. if they continue to treat us poorly, like they did earlier this year by jacking up prices without warning, then they surely will lose my support. i know i wont be making a huge impact on their bottom line, but im sure i am not the only one feeling this way.

I made a mistake. I have the ViP722k in my livingroom and a 211k in the theater room. The 211k is connected to my HTPC and this was how I viewed the SBS in 3D. I just realized this as I'm looking at my account seeing what I can add and what I can remove.

Is there a significant amount of 3D content on DirecTV or is it the same stuff recycled over and over?
post #47 of 58 Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord View Post

I made a mistake. I have the ViP722k in my livingroom and a 211k in the theater room. The 211k is connected to my HTPC and this was how I viewed the SBS in 3D. I just realized this as I'm looking at my account seeing what I can add and what I can remove.

Is there a significant amount of 3D content on DirecTV or is it the same stuff recycled over and over?

alot of it is recycled , but they do keep adding new stuff... and there seems to be a new PPV 3D moive pretty often. they have Tron 3d on yesterday. everyday they swicth the PPV moives..i have only been watching the 3D for less then a month now tho..
post #48 of 58 Old 04-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime50 View Post

alot of it is recycled , but they do keep adding new stuff... and there seems to be a new PPV 3D moive pretty often. they have Tron 3d on yesterday. everyday they swicth the PPV moives..i have only been watching the 3D for less then a month now tho..

Yeah Tron 3D come out on Dish PPV the day it was released in BD.

By the way, I heard Dish Network bought Blockbuster. I've been meaning to read up on it as I heard about it this.morning on the radio.
post #49 of 58 Old 04-16-2011, 03:50 PM

I wish they'd bring back Tron. All they have now is Despicable Me, Shrek and Yogi Bear.
post #50 of 58 Old 04-26-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have done a few searchs here and everywhere else and cant seem to find any "current" updated info on when or if Dish Network will start offering 3D channels, even a call to Dish yielded no information to speak of.

DTV has two or three 3D channels now,,,, whats taking Dish so long ????

Cheers
Davyo
post #51 of 58 Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
They have a ppv channel available only to the 922 owners...
post #52 of 58 Old 04-26-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Topics merged.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #53 of 58 Old 04-26-2011, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I have done a few searchs here and everywhere else and cant seem to find any "current" updated info on when or if Dish Network will start offering 3D channels, even a call to Dish yielded no information to speak of.

DTV has two or three 3D channels now,,,, whats taking Dish so long ????

Cheers
Davyo

Good question!!!

Ed
post #54 of 58 Old 08-31-2011, 04:38 PM

Reviving an old, but unfortunately still relevent, thread.

I've been a Dish customer for ever. Is it worthwhile to switch to Directv just for the 3 channels (actually less, since I don't watch much sports) ?

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #55 of 58 Old 08-31-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow View Post

Reviving an old, but unfortunately still relevent, thread.

I've been a Dish customer for ever. Is it worthwhile to switch to Directv just for the 3 channels (actually less, since I don't watch much sports) ?

It was for me. I dont watch much 3D, but there is enough available to keep you busy. And saving a few hundred bucks over the next two years isn't too shabby either.
post #56 of 58 Old 08-31-2011, 10:17 PM

why does it feel like direct tv is trying to make most of the 3d channels eclusive i want 3net
post #57 of 58 Old 09-01-2011, 06:48 AM

I was a dish network customer for 10 years until may of this year. Switched to directv and love it once you get use to the remote and how to navigate the menu you will never look back! I switched for the 3d content that direct offered but I got so much more!
post #58 of 58 Old 01-10-2012, 06:38 AM

The reason Dishnet has been mum recently on possible 3D rollout dates is they have already passed their initial "possible" season for the rollout, they have been burned and, really due to no fault of their own, really upset a lot of people way back when HDTV first arrived by constantly pushing back the rollout date for HDTV.

To be honest, I was surprised they even mentioned 3D availability before they were absolutely certain about the initial broadcast date. I suppose they had to do something with "official statements" since Directv already started 3D broadcasts.

If the past is any indication, I doubt we will hear even a whisper of the 3D rollout until one day, like magic, we'll see several 3D channels available. My assumption is compatibility, software issues and the rest all will have few bugs as they will have done their homework to provide a smooth transition.

It has been my experience that Dishnet's customer service has been superior to Directv's. That's just my experience. I like their receivers better, I like their programming better and the way they keep bringing in new channels, I just like Dishnet better and expect their 3D programming to be superior to Directv's when it arrives.

My Dishnet installer told me he has been expecting the 3D channels to be up and running any day now but has thought so for the last few months.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page