post #391 of 734 Old 12-17-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

OK, was home yesterday afternoon and tried again. THIS time I checked for On Demand availability on one of my other boxes first....no problems.

STILL wouldn't come up on the RNG box. Got online to chat with CS. They were able to get the On Demand menu to come up but I couldn't select any movies. Well, I could SELECT, but they wouldn't play. So I got BACK online with CS and they tried again. Then I was able to select and play but couldn't get my TV (Mits 65737) to select 3D. So I played around with the box settings (1080p = no, AGAIN as I'd done it once already) and finally got it to work.

Watched 3d Sun and Siegfried and Roy foJr free. The sad thing for Comcast is that I wanted to watch one of the PAY movies but wasn't going to risk ordering until I knew it would work.

The REAL test will be if I can get it to work the next time I want to watch.

For me I had to disable 1080p 24fps to get on demand 3D to work properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 734 Old 12-20-2010, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a current Comcast subscriber with a DCH3416. My understanding is I will need a new box for 3D. I will be using it with a Samsung 3D ready DLP TV (EDID modded) via the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 adapter. From the web site, it looks like for DVR the Motorola DCX3400 or DCX3416 (HD/DVR set-top box) and Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) RNG200 (HD/DVR set-top box) are the only choices, at least in my area. Is there a consensus on which DVR-capable 3D STB I should shoot for with a 3DA-1 setup? I figure the Motorola is probably what I will be provided...

What is the best/easiest way to get the new STB? Call the 3D hotline mentioned above? Go to my local office (shudder) and hope they actually have one and know what they are doing?

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #393 of 734 Old 12-20-2010, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.m. View Post
I am a current Comcast subscriber with a DCH3416. My understanding is I will need a new box for 3D. I will be using it with a Samsung 3D ready DLP TV (EDID modded) via the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 adapter. From the web site, it looks like for DVR the Motorola DCX3400 or DCX3416 (HD/DVR set-top box) and Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) RNG200 (HD/DVR set-top box) are the only choices, at least in my area. Is there a consensus on which DVR-capable 3D STB I should shoot for with a 3DA-1 setup? I figure the Motorola is probably what I will be provided...

What is the best/easiest way to get the new STB? Call the 3D hotline mentioned above? Go to my local office (shudder) and hope they actually have one and know what they are doing?
As a quick aside, the 3D may work with your DCH3416. It did for me. I think it depends on whether they use MPEG2 vs. MPEG4 in your area. Even so though, the 3416 is old and I swapped mine for a DCX3400 which I like a lot better. Plus it has a native mode which is useful if you want 1080p/24 from some of the On Demand content. I am not familiar at all with the other STBs you mention so I cannot comment.
post #394 of 734 Old 12-20-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
As a quick aside, the 3D may work with your DCH3416. It did for me. I think it depends on whether they use MPEG2 vs. MPEG4 in your area. Even so though, the 3416 is old and I swapped mine for a DCX3400 which I like a lot better. Plus it has a native mode which is useful if you want 1080p/24 from some of the On Demand content. I am not familiar at all with the other STBs you mention so I cannot comment.
Thanks. I think I will just try to get a newer STB also. Did you just take your old one into the local office and exhange it? Did you call first to verify they had the new one? I just have this bad feeling that I am going to pull my DCH3416 out of my setup, take it all the way over there, and they will either a) not have a DCX3400 or b) won't have a clue.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
post #395 of 734 Old 12-21-2010, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

My experience with the exchange (3416 to DCX 3400 500g);

1) Could not call in, I had to go to the site.
2) Did NOT take in 3416 & good thing I did that, they didn't have one available & told me to check back next week.
3) Went back next week & they had them in, got a brand new one
4) That same day took it home & swaped the box myself.
5) Took back the old one the same day & was not charged for having two.
6) On demand did not work.
7) Paid $30 service call to find out a signal booster Comcast installed years ago was causing communication problems. Booster removed (no problem with signal strength througout the house, made me wonder why it was there in the first place).
8) Everything is fine & 500g DVR makes me a happy camper, $30, a tank of gas, & two one hour wait periods later!

Carl Jones
post #396 of 734 Old 12-21-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I think I will just try to get a newer STB also. Did you just take your old one into the local office and exhange it? Did you call first to verify they had the new one? I just have this bad feeling that I am going to pull my DCH3416 out of my setup, take it all the way over there, and they will either a) not have a DCX3400 or b) won't have a clue.

As Carl mentioned one option is to just go there and see if they have the box you want without taking in your old box. If they do, you can take it home, set it up, confirm it works and then take the new box back. I think they prorate it so if you want to give it a few days before returning the old one the charges would be tiny for those few days.

You just need to weigh whether the extra trip to Comcast is worth it. It has the benefit of not having to unnecessarily pull out your equipment and the benefit of making sure the new one works before giving up your working box (although I personally wouldn't be concerned about that) in exchange for a second trip to Comcast and a few dollars (or not I guess if you make the 2nd trip the same day).
post #397 of 734 Old 12-21-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the advice. I went by the Comcast office today without my DCH3416 in an attempt to get a DCX3400. Turns out that, according to the employee that helped me, the only 3D-capable STB they are currently offering in my area is the DCH3416 I already have. No DCX3400. This contradicts the Comcast web site and is a bit hard to believe. In any case, he did go ahead and activate 3D on my DCH3416, so I now have access to the only 2 3D channels currently offered in my lineup: ESPN 3D and Xfinity 3D. I can't tell how well it is going to work, as I will not have the 3DA-1 until Christmas.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
post #398 of 734 Old 12-21-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. I went by the Comcast office today without my DCH3416 in an attempt to get a DCX3400. Turns out that, according to the employee that helped me, the only 3D-capable STB they are currently offering in my area is the DCH3416 I already have. No DCX3400. This contradicts the Comcast web site and is a bit hard to believe. In any case, he did go ahead and activate 3D on my DCH3416, so I now have access to the only 2 3D channels currently offered in my lineup: ESPN 3D and Xfinity 3D. I can't tell how well it is going to work, as I will not have the 3DA-1 until Christmas.

The little bit of 3D viewing I did on the 3416 looked great (before switching to a DCX3400). So if its supported in your area you should be fine with it. Have you tried any of the On Demand 3D content?
post #399 of 734 Old 12-23-2010, 10:25 AM

Does anyone have a Comcast 3D box in the Chicago area? I called Comcast and they said they have not yet rolled out 3D boxes and are not going to do so until January or February. That doesn't seem right. Should I just drive down to the Comcast office and ask someone directly instead of dealing with the CSRs?
post #400 of 734 Old 12-23-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you guys seen the Haunted House 3D that's available On Demand? I'm not sure when it was added, but I think it was pretty recent.

Anyway, this has some of the best, most detailed 3D I have seen yet, and rivals (and surpasses) some of my 3D blu-ray movies in terms of 3D-coolness.

Really a fun way to experience and show off your 3D. Let me know if you guys like it.
post #401 of 734 Old 12-23-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I had the older DCT6412 box. It worked great with all of the 3D and I really had no problems with it. I also read that sometime in the future we would need to upgrade to one of the newer mpeg 4 boxes. I had no idea where my area fell in this. I saw on here where the DCX3400 had the capability to pass through 1080p /24 on a native setting, they were smaller and ran considerably cooler. I wanted all of that. Instead of wasting my time with the local office, knowing they wouldn't have a clue, I called the 800-comcast number and selected the "add services" option. I told the agent that I have a new 3D TV and according to their website, I needed a DCX3400 STB. I did not tell her what box I did have. She advised that a tech could deliver a new box the next day. I said good. The next day the tech called and advised me that my area did not use or have any of the newer DVR boxes such as the 3400. All I said was, "but I have a 3D TV". He then said he would try to find one for me. he called me back later and said he arranged to have a DCX 3400 shipped directly to my house. The next day he called again and said he was bringing one within the hour. As far as I know I am the first in my area to have this box. How can you ever guess what kind of service you will get from Comcast. Sometimes you just luck out.
post #402 of 734 Old 12-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

I had the older DCT6412 box. It worked great with all of the 3D and I really had no problems with it. I also read that sometime in the future we would need to upgrade to one of the newer mpeg 4 boxes. I had no idea where my area fell in this. I saw on here where the DCX3400 had the capability to pass through 1080p /24 on a native setting, they were smaller and ran considerably cooler. I wanted all of that. Instead of wasting my time with the local office, knowing they wouldn't have a clue, I called the 800-comcast number and selected the "add services" option. I told the agent that I have a new 3D TV and according to their website, I needed a DCX3400 STB. I did not tell her what box I did have. She advised that a tech could deliver a new box the next day. I said good. The next day the tech called and advised me that my area did not use or have any of the newer DVR boxes such as the 3400. All I said was, "but I have a 3D TV". He then said he would try to find one for me. he called me back later and said he arranged to have a DCX 3400 shipped directly to my house. The next day he called again and said he was bringing one within the hour. As far as I know I am the first in my area to have this box. How can you ever guess what kind of service you will get from Comcast. Sometimes you just luck out.

I always talk to peggy she is awesome
post #403 of 734 Old 12-23-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerat4 View Post

I always talk to peggy she is awesome

Or Sammy, either one.
post #404 of 734 Old 12-25-2010, 03:31 PM

I am in the Chicago area and just picked up a DCX3400-M box. From browsing this forum and other areas online, it seems that this box should be able to transmit 3D. But, when trying to connect this to my Mitsubishi adapter, the adapter seems to think that the signal is not 3D. In fact, the TV really struggles to get a picture at all and it occasionally flashes a green screen and then goes back to black. I have 3D working fine through my PS3 and through my Pioneer VSX-1120-k receiver, but no luck with the cable box. I have also tried hooking the DCX3400 directly to the adapter in case the receiver is causing issues, but that didn't work either. Any ideas? I have searched and gone through several pages of this thread and haven't seen anyone else reporting this. Am I overlooking a simple step to enable 3D on the box or something?
post #405 of 734 Old 12-25-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozcruz33 View Post

I am in the Chicago area and just picked up a DCX3400-M box. From browsing this forum and other areas online, it seems that this box should be able to transmit 3D. But, when trying to connect this to my Mitsubishi adapter, the adapter seems to think that the signal is not 3D. In fact, the TV really struggles to get a picture at all and it occasionally flashes a green screen and then goes back to black. I have 3D working fine through my PS3 and through my Pioneer VSX-1120-k receiver, but no luck with the cable box. I have also tried hooking the DCX3400 directly to the adapter in case the receiver is causing issues, but that didn't work either. Any ideas? I have searched and gone through several pages of this thread and haven't seen anyone else reporting this. Am I overlooking a simple step to enable 3D on the box or something?

OK, so I now have it working, but not through my receiver. The receiver definitely supports HDMI 1.4a because my PS3 plays 3D movies through it without any problems. When I hook it up directly I still need to manually change the picture format on the DCX3400to 1080i and then it starts working. Any ideas why this is happening? I read elsewhere in the thread that some people disabled some of the 1080p modes on the cable box, but I thought that was just related to OnDemand issues. Any ideas what is going on? Manually moving around cables whenever I want to watch something in 3D is a real pain. It seems like this should be a very basic setup, so I am not sure what is going on.
post #406 of 734 Old 12-26-2010, 03:50 AM

The adapter box does not like 1080-p24. Turn the cable box off and then press setup. One of the choices is supported formats. Disable 1080p24 and you should be good to go.
post #407 of 734 Old 12-26-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBSengineer View Post
The adapter box does not like 1080-p24. Turn the cable box off and then press setup. One of the choices is supported formats. Disable 1080p24 and you should be good to go.
I just tried that without much luck. Here is what I did:

1. Moved the cable box HDMI cable to a new input on the TV so I could actually see the menu

2. Powered off the box and entered the menu

3. Changed format to Native and disabled 1080p/24. Every option was selected besides 1080p/24 and 480i

4. Pressed Menu to exit the menu

5. Moved the cable box HDMI cable from the TV back to the receiver, switched the TV back to the adapter input and powered on the cable box

The same problem still exists. As soon as I turned on the cable box, it seems it immediately goes right back to 480p format and I get a green or black screen and no picture. If I then switch everything back and go back into the cable box menu, I see that 1080p/24 is enabled again. Is there a way to force this mode to stay off? Is there something else that might be causing the problem?

Thanks,
Shane
post #408 of 734 Old 12-26-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Your direct TV STB does not recofinize your receiver as 3D capable since it does not provide HDMI 1.4a 3D EDID data to the direct TV STB.
The STB should recognize the Mits adapter without problem and should be sending 1080i SbS or 720p TnB 3D content to it. Native mode most likely will not work.
post #409 of 734 Old 12-26-2010, 05:10 PM

I have run into a problem with upgrading my comcast to 3D.

I have a Sony XBR-60LX900 3d television. I just had comcast install a DCX 3400 cable box. I upgraded my HDMI cables to be compliant with the needs for 3D. Using my 3D Blu Ray player (Samsung) I have watched 3D movies with no problem.

So, my problem arises with the attempted viewing of Comcast 3D content. I tried to watch the 3D on Demand movies and all I get are a split screen (top/bottom) and no 3D.

I have checked in my TV settings and I dont see anything in there to correct the issue.

I am not sure how to proceed at this point and I am hoping that someone here has the knowledge to point me to the steps I need to take in order to enjoy the comcast 3D content. The tech who was present was completely confused and intimidated by my system.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.
post #410 of 734 Old 12-26-2010, 08:45 PM

Panther, from my understanding some of the content is top/bottom where the dvds seem to be usually side-by-side. Are you able to change the orientation? Even if the television is set to auto I don't think they get it since the boxes are not hdmi 1.4 so that info is not sent.

For everyone, I heard a rumor that HBO 3D will start in January with a small number of movies (3-4). Not much but a start in the right direction.

While I have not taken the plunge yet for 3D, I was able to help a friend with their On Demand and RNG110 to work right thanks to everyone here. You all educated me well.
post #411 of 734 Old 12-27-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorn2374 View Post

Panther, from my understanding some of the content is top/bottom where the dvds seem to be usually side-by-side. Are you able to change the orientation? Even if the television is set to auto I don't think they get it since the boxes are not hdmi 1.4 so that info is not sent.

For everyone, I heard a rumor that HBO 3D will start in January with a small number of movies (3-4). Not much but a start in the right direction.

While I have not taken the plunge yet for 3D, I was able to help a friend with their On Demand and RNG110 to work right thanks to everyone here. You all educated me well.

What I have found out from Sony is that you cannot adjust the settings in their normal settings menu. Instead you have to do it on the fly using the options control during the playback. During that, you force 3d on and then scroll down to select the type, top/botom. I marvel at the lack of clarity provided by the manufactures. I am thankful that internet searches can and will turn up useful information eventually. I just hope some folks can learn from my issue and not go through the hassle as I did.
post #412 of 734 Old 12-27-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Your direct TV STB does not recofinize your receiver as 3D capable since it does not provide HDMI 1.4a 3D EDID data to the direct TV STB.
The STB should recognize the Mits adapter without problem and should be sending 1080i SbS or 720p TnB 3D content to it. Native mode most likely will not work.

That is unfortunate. One of the reasons I bought this new receiver was to get 3D support and to be able to run everything through it without setting up multiple adapters. Are other people using this DCX3400 box successfully with their receiver? I could potentially return the Pioneer and exchange it for a different model, but I would want to make sure that one worked before going that route. Any suggestions for a compatible receiver in the $400-800 price range? The only real requirement I have (besides the basics) is that it must have pre-outs for my external amp.
post #413 of 734 Old 12-27-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Contact Pioneer support they may be able to help.
You could probably use a Gefen HDMI detective to spoof the cable box.
However, the best solution would be an HDMI1.4 receiver that will pass downstream the adapters EDID data to the cable box.
post #414 of 734 Old 12-28-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post
Contact Pioneer support they may be able to help.
You could probably use a Gefen HDMI detective to spoof the cable box.
However, the best solution would be an HDMI1.4 receiver that will pass downstream the adapters EDID data to the cable box.
Does anyone know of a HDMI receiver that does successfully pass down the EDID data from the connected HDMI output monitor? I still am within the return window for the VSX-1120-k and I would prefer to replace the receiver instead of having to spend over $100 on an HDMI Detective to spoof the EDID to the cable box.
post #415 of 734 Old 12-30-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozcruz33 View Post

Does anyone know of a HDMI receiver that does successfully pass down the EDID data from the connected HDMI output monitor? I still am within the return window for the VSX-1120-k and I would prefer to replace the receiver instead of having to spend over $100 on an HDMI Detective to spoof the EDID to the cable box.

So, I picked up an HDMI Detective to try to "trick" the adapter into working and I still am having no luck. Even if I record the EDID of the 3D adapter and then connect the Gefen to the cable box, I still can't get it to work. I guess it isn't just an EDID problem, but it is really strange that it works directly from the adapter to the cable box. I guess I either need to buy another adapter or keep switching the cables back and forth manually when I want 3D. This is probably not a problem now, but it will be really annoying when more 3D programming is released. Does anyone know if the DCT-6412 or another box might not have the same problem?
post #416 of 734 Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm amazed at how much trouble people are having w/the Comcast box to get 3D working. I have an HDTivo and Comcast is my provider and have no issues running HDMI from my Tivo to my 1.3 Reciever to my 4 x 2 HDMI splitter/swith to my 3D Mitsy adapter to my 73" TV. No problems at all. I would suggest for those that don't have a 1.4 AVR to look into the same switch/splitter I purchased for $80 from Monoprice. Allows me to get lossless audio from my PS3 for 3D BD since it has 2 HDMI outputs.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #417 of 734 Old 12-30-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

I'm amazed at how much trouble people are having w/the Comcast box to get 3D working. I have an HDTivo and Comcast is my provider and have no issues running HDMI from my Tivo to my 1.3 Reciever to my 4 x 2 HDMI splitter/swith to my 3D Mitsy adapter to my 73" TV. No problems at all. I would suggest for those that don't have a 1.4 AVR to look into the same switch/splitter I purchased for $80 from Monoprice. Allows me to get lossless audio from my PS3 for 3D BD since it has 2 HDMI outputs.

Are you saying you are able to get HD audio from your PS3 *and* 1080p/24 from your 3D Blu-rays? Regardless of the switching and cabling, I thought the PS3 was not able to output HD audio and a 3D signal simultaneously?
post #418 of 734 Old 12-30-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Are you saying you are able to get HD audio from your PS3 *and* 1080p/24 from your 3D Blu-rays? Regardless of the switching and cabling, I thought the PS3 was not able to output HD audio and a 3D signal simultaneously?

My apologies - let me clarify. It's true, I can not get HD audio from my PS3 for 3D BD but I wanted to retain HD audio for 3D games. So the switch/splitter allows me that feature and the ability to connect my HDTivo to view 3D. So my HDTivo is HDMI to my AVR - then from the AVR to the splitter/switch. PS3 goes directly to the splitter/switch with one HDMI out going to the AVR and the other to the 3D Adapter.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #419 of 734 Old 12-30-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Hmm, maybe my best option is to just buy an HDTivo and get rid of the stupid DCX3400 that seems to be causing the issue.

I just realized that some people from this thread have 3D working with their DCH3416 box. I currently have one of those in my house hooked up to a non-3D TV, so I am going to give that a try and see how it works with my Mitsu 3D adapter and VSX-1120-k AVR. I really have my fingers crossed because this problem has been driving me crazy. I can get everything working if I manually switch cables around when I want to watch 3D, but that is not a very good solution.
post #420 of 734 Old 12-30-2010, 02:30 PM

so far the only decent content ive found on comcast was the globetrotters game. the 3d video games sections is full of ghosting and lacks anything worth viewing and the free movies are ok. the movies about aliens landing on earth and finding the theme park was kinda cool with some nice effects.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page