Verizon FiOS 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 95 Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's in VOD section under 3dhd. It's a Mercedes sample from wealth tv. Buy wasn't too impressed. Maybe I'm expecting too much though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 07-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Thanks for the heads up. Just watched it. Lame. Seems to me, 3D TV is going to be just like HDTV... that is to say, soft, compressed, and full of artifacts

I sure hope we get better than this when FioS does launch their offering, because this is just embarrassing...

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #3 of 95 Old 07-10-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Right? I thought I was being over critical but I was not impressed
post #4 of 95 Old 07-14-2010, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Fios is supposed to have the most bandwidth and highest quality HD (and SD ) channels where as Comcast and Directv are often inferior (whether using mpeg2 or not having the bandwidth etc. not to mention directv goes out in bad weather etc and needs the internet for on demand)

so how is it that Fios is the last to get 3D?

any eta?>?
post #5 of 95 Old 07-14-2010, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
supposedly this holiday season but I am PISSED at FIOS for really dropping the ball on this one. I'm actually still thinking about cancelling and going back to comcast just for 3d.

Damn you FIOS!!! get 3d NOW! and for the entire county, not just NY and Seattle!!
post #6 of 95 Old 07-14-2010, 03:35 PM

I asked a FiOS rep earlier in the week and they said they didn't have any more information, so i don't' really know.... but hopefully it'll be coming out at the same time they update their Set Top Boxes and Multi-room software to allow you to actually control the main DVR through the extenders... bah!

Oh, and I'm pissed at FiOS (or just verizon) for overlaying their own On-Demand commercials over my shows making me miss parts of the action... this happen to anyone else?
post #7 of 95 Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Here is the reason FiOS doesn't have 3D (and have temporarily stopped adding HD channels):

They are out of QAM space. It's all full.

To fix this they will be migrating certain channels to mpeg-4 compression and/or IPTV.

It is believed that no HD channels will move to IPTV so that CableCard users will not be affected. The current thought is that foreign language channels and SD channels will be the first migrated to IPTV and/or mpeg-4. This upgrade should be completed by the end of the year.
post #8 of 95 Old 07-15-2010, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

Here is the reason FiOS doesn't have 3D (and have temporarily stopped adding HD channels):

They are out of QAM space. It's all full.

To fix this they will be migrating certain channels to mpeg-4 compression and/or IPTV.

It is believed that no HD channels will move to IPTV so that CableCard users will not be affected. The current thought is that foreign language channels and SD channels will be the first migrated to IPTV and/or mpeg-4. This upgrade should be completed by the end of the year.

I thought FIOS had more bandwidth then anyone else? and was why they had the most HD channels. all of a sudden they are full and got caught with their pants down unable to keep up with the compeition with 3d? wtf

i had comcast then fios and kept comcast then directv and kept comcast in some capacity and then was happy to get rid of directv and comcast and come back to fios as they had the most HD. now it seems like if i want 3D id have to switch back to one (or both as i had before) of the other 2.

3D in time for the holiday season? bs ppl have 3d tvs now and want content now like the other tv providers have plus according to this news they wouldn't have room until the end of the year so to me that is end of dec. begin of jan and even then it may take them a bit once space is cleared up to implement the 3d chans. eff that. looks like i have to switch again
post #9 of 95 Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

I thought FIOS had more bandwidth then anyone else? and was why they had the most HD channels. all of a sudden they are full and got caught with their pants down unable to keep up with the compeition with 3d? wtf

i had comcast then fios and kept comcast then directv and kept comcast in some capacity and then was happy to get rid of directv and comcast and come back to fios as they had the most HD. now it seems like if i want 3D id have to switch back to one (or both as i had before) of the other 2.

3D in time for the holiday season? bs ppl have 3d tvs now and want content now like the other tv providers have plus according to this news they wouldn't have room until the end of the year so to me that is end of dec. begin of jan and even then it may take them a bit once space is cleared up to implement the 3d chans. eff that. looks like i have to switch again

The fiber optic network itself has the most bandwidth since it is nearly limitless. The problem is they use QAM for their FiOS TV offering and they only have 870MHz of QAM bandwidth. Each HD channel uses 3MHz (each QAM channel is 6MHz; ~40mbps and FiOS uses 2 HD channels per QAM). To increase their channel lineup they either need to migrate to 1000MHZ QAM (Cox did this and it costs A LOT of money since all FiOS STBs would need to be replaced since they only have an 870MHz tuner) or they can migrate to mpeg-4/IPTV, which is what they are doing.
post #10 of 95 Old 07-15-2010, 01:27 PM

Liked: 44
Verizon Adds WealthTV In 3D

Quote:

Washington, D.C. (July 13, 2010) -- Verizon's FiOS TV service has added a WealthTV program in 3D on its Video on Demand service.

The program, Wealth on Wheels Classic, is available in 3D only for Verizon subscribers, the company said.

Quote:

WealthTV's 3D VOD program is available to all FiOS TV customers across the country who have a 3D television set, 3D glasses and a high-definition set-top box. FiOS TV customers can find the 3D Wealth on Wheel episode in the "High Definition" VOD folder, under HD 3D.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/verizon071510.htm
post #11 of 95 Old 07-16-2010, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The fiber optic network itself has the most bandwidth since it is nearly limitless. The problem is they use QAM for their FiOS TV offering and they only have 870MHz of QAM bandwidth. Each HD channel uses 3MHz (each QAM channel is 6MHz; ~40mbps and FiOS uses 2 HD channels per QAM). To increase their channel lineup they either need to migrate to 1000MHZ QAM (Cox did this and it costs A LOT of money since all FiOS STBs would need to be replaced since they only have an 870MHz tuner) or they can migrate to mpeg-4/IPTV, which is what they are doing.

I'm pissed they lied though and said that it was because they were working on bringing the best and most 3d just like their HD isntead of just telling the truth and saying they have a problem and aren't able to provide 3d channels right now.

i'm ready to switch to Comcast just for 3d but they are worse then fios in almost every way.
post #12 of 95 Old 07-16-2010, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Do you have any links where I can read more about what FiOS might be planning on doing?

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #13 of 95 Old 07-16-2010, 02:24 PM

Liked: 14
oooooo, i am gonna run out and order FIOS NOT lol who cares
post #14 of 95 Old 07-16-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

It's very underwhelming. I wouldn't even show it to anyone to demo my 3dtv
post #15 of 95 Old 07-16-2010, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Totally unacceptable fios. Too little too late to the 3d game. And believe me I'm pissed I have to go through the aggravation of switching.

And they better not charge me any etf...
post #16 of 95 Old 07-24-2010, 06:49 PM

FIOS presently has a VOD 3D offering (free) from "Wealth TV" - it is a half hour segment showing vintage Mercedes Benz auto from an auto museum.

Pretty boring and 3D effects very bland - but that's all they have now!

They did carry in the Metro NYC market the Yankees/Mariners baseball games on July 10 & 11 on the YES NEtwork.
post #17 of 95 Old 07-24-2010, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Topics merged. Going forward, this is the master FiOS 3D topic.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #18 of 95 Old 07-24-2010, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From the 3D TV Programming Synopsis:

- Verizon FiOS
Company spokesperson: "Committed to having a 3D offering later this year, surely in time for the holiday tech buying season".
Carries Wealth TV 3D VOD. Carried MLB in 3D on YES / FSN Northwest.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #19 of 95 Old 07-24-2010, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

From the 3D TV Programming Synopsis:

- Verizon FiOS
Company spokesperson: "Committed to having a 3D offering later this year, surely in time for the holiday tech buying season".
Carries Wealth TV 3D VOD. Carried MLB in 3D on YES / FSN Northwest.

the bottom line is they are behind. Comcast and Directv both have 3D now with multiple channels. Also Fios lied and tried to say it was because they were working on providing the best and most 3D when in reality its because they got caught with their pants down and dont have the bandwidth.

by the time Fios has 3D , the other 2 will be even further ahead so fios will always be 2 steps behind...
post #20 of 95 Old 07-25-2010, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 197
The answer is to have BOTH FIOS for UN COMPRESSED HD and DirecTV for 3-D.

If you have only one of them you will lose!
post #21 of 95 Old 07-26-2010, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

The answer is to have BOTH FIOS for UN COMPRESSED HD and DirecTV for 3-D.

If you have only one of them you will lose!

What about comcast? I like how theu have the newer nicer looking black moto boxes that look like a bluray player while fios is still using the old silver moto boxes.

I have had 2 tv providers for msny years but its a waste of money.

Looks like directv is the early winner of most 3d content though? So i may have to get D* service again with one or 2 hddv

I guess comcast has the least hd of the 3 and is compressed to boot?
post #22 of 95 Old 07-26-2010, 09:03 AM

hey guys i live in the seattle,wa area and have fios and i can tell you we do not have 3d here, not on demand, also the yankees/mariners game was not in 3d on fios here, it was in 3d for comcast customers. and i just checked the on demand for wealth tv 3d, not there.
post #23 of 95 Old 07-29-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

What would most people rather have--uncompressed great looking HD and no 3-D or compressed inferior looking HD and 3-D?
post #24 of 95 Old 07-30-2010, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What would most people rather have--uncompressed great looking HD and no 3-D or compressed inferior looking HD and 3-D?

uncompressed HD isn't an excuse to be the only ones with no 3d. no 3d xgames this weekend and an eta of end of year. wow, going to be too little too late.

unacceptable period pus i dont know how much I buy into this uncompressed great looking HD. i dont think the HD looks any better then comcast or directv and even if slightly its not an excuse not to have 3D.

verizon fios tv got caught off guard with their pants down. they are supposed to have the technology with the most bandwidth adn yet they can't even provide epsn3 (3d). directv has a good amount of 3d content and on demand stuff and ppl are loving it.

anyone with a 3d tv is fiending for more content and right now directv is one of the best ways and most variety of content as the only other content is a few 3d blurays even downloading demo clips etc. online doesnt' provide much and a few ps3 demos. directv currently has the most 3d content of any format or tv provider and again ppl are impressed and loving it.

Comcast has some too but not quite as much as directv i think but still more then fios which is sad when even comcast beats you.

FIOS=FAIL period. with no catching up till end of year and will then be even more behind so just like back when they got late start on demand and especially hd on demand and the time when they fell behind comcast even in HD channels for some time, they are going to always be behind in 3D now for some time probably. though hopefully with their not being much I'd think they would be able to match directv just by opening up a small amount of bandwidth.

meantime i may just get one directv hd dvr box (can dvr 3d content too) but thats extra cost unless i get rid of a fios hd dvr box and could get locked in contract with directv just like i think we are in one with fios so i can't fullys witch to comcast directv either.

also my one fios box has been glitching and skipping often where among other things it will skip back a second so if someone is talking they say the same word twice like literally a 1 second backskip then it continues.

oh and having to keep your router on all the time just so on demand and the guide will even work is also kind of fail as you dont have to do that with comcast.
post #25 of 95 Old 07-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

uncompressed HD isn't an excuse to be the only ones with no 3d. no 3d xgames this weekend and an eta of end of year. wow, going to be too little too late.

unacceptable period pus i dont know how much I buy into this uncompressed great looking HD. i dont think the HD looks any better then comcast or directv and even if slightly its not an excuse not to have 3D.

verizon fios tv got caught off guard with their pants down. they are supposed to have the technology with the most bandwidth adn yet they can't even provide epsn3 (3d). directv has a good amount of 3d content and on demand stuff and ppl are loving it.

anyone with a 3d tv is fiending for more content and right now directv is one of the best ways and most variety of content as the only other content is a few 3d blurays even downloading demo clips etc. online doesnt' provide much and a few ps3 demos. directv currently has the most 3d content of any format or tv provider and again ppl are impressed and loving it.

Comcast has some too but not quite as much as directv i think but still more then fios which is sad when even comcast beats you.

FIOS=FAIL period. with no catching up till end of year and will then be even more behind so just like back when they got late start on demand and especially hd on demand and the time when they fell behind comcast even in HD channels for some time, they are going to always be behind in 3D now for some time probably. though hopefully with their not being much I'd think they would be able to match directv just by opening up a small amount of bandwidth.

meantime i may just get one directv hd dvr box (can dvr 3d content too) but thats extra cost unless i get rid of a fios hd dvr box and could get locked in contract with directv just like i think we are in one with fios so i can't fullys witch to comcast directv either.

also my one fios box has been glitching and skipping often where among other things it will skip back a second so if someone is talking they say the same word twice like literally a 1 second backskip then it continues.

oh and having to keep your router on all the time just so on demand and the guide will even work is also kind of fail as you dont have to do that with comcast.

If you can't see the difference then I am surprised you can see 3D; you must be blind!

Seriously anytime there is any quick motion on Comcast I get absolutely terrible macroblocking and incorrect colors.
post #26 of 95 Old 07-31-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

FIOS has the best picture quality HD period.

It doesn't have as many channels and it doesn't have 3-D.

With any provider you pick your poison.

If you have both DirecTV and FIOS you'll get what most people want.
post #27 of 95 Old 07-31-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

This sucks that everyone else has the X games in 3d right now except us inferior fios tv customers.
post #28 of 95 Old 07-31-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have COX service and they also have not announced any plans for providing 3D programing at any time in the future.
My COX provider does, however, not downgrade any 2D HD content the obtain so the PQ I receive from them on my Motorola STB is xactly the same as it is by the same Motorola STB used by FIOS sinc there is not interferenc of any kind on my cable line.
post #29 of 95 Old 07-31-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uh, referring to a post earlier, if there only using 3Mhz for each HD channel, then Fios is compressing the hell out of HD. I know Comcast and others try to squeeze 3 HD channels into 6Mhz, but Fios is far from uncompressed. From what I'm reading, until IPTV becomes more viable, it seems that DirecTV has the most bandwidth available. DirecTV keeps putting satellites up and it seems like they could offer the least amount of compression, but they keep opting for more channels instead of better quality--Right now they have enough bandwidth to offer both. At least they do have 3D, and I would expect with their bandwidth that they might be the first to offer full HD to each eye eventually.
post #30 of 95 Old 07-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire407 View Post

Uh, referring to a post earlier, if there only using 3Mhz for each HD channel, then Fios is compressing the hell out of HD. I know Comcast and others try to squeeze 3 HD channels into 6Mhz, but Fios is far from uncompressed. From what I'm reading, until IPTV becomes more viable, it seems that DirecTV has the most bandwidth available. DirecTV keeps putting satellites up and it seems like they could offer the least amount of compression, but they keep opting for more channels instead of better quality--Right now they have enough bandwidth to offer both. At least they do have 3D, and I would expect with their bandwidth that they might be the first to offer full HD to each eye eventually.

You're wrong.

Each 6MHz QAM slot is ~39mbps. FiOS uses 19mbps per HD channel of QAM (2 per QAM). Comcast and most if not all other cable providers have 3 (or more!) HD channels per QAM (meaning 13mbps per channel). 13mbps should be fine if the content is broadcast in mpeg-4 for most content, but currently everything on Comcast is mpeg-2 except some areas have 3D in mpeg-4.

Dish network HD is entirely 1440x1080i except for OnDemand.

DirecTV uses mpeg-4 compression for all channels. I was not able to find concrete info on what bitrate each channel is.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page