post #1 of 30 Old 07-09-2010, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Press release

ESPN3D Adds State Farm Home Run Derby to Schedule

ESPN 3D has added the State Farm Home Run Derby telecast on Monday, July 12 at 8 p.m. EST to the list of events that will appear on the new network. ESPN3D will kick off on June 11 with the first 2010 FIFA World Cup match featuring South Africa vs. Mexico. The State Farm Home Run Derby telecast will be the first event produced by ESPN 3D.

It's fitting that we launch ESPN 3D's domestic programming from Angel Stadium of Anaheim, which was the site for the launch of ESPN HD back on March 30, 2003, said Bryan Burns, vice president, strategic business development, ESPN. Seven years later, ESPN HD is available to virtually every multichannel video household in the United States, and we're hopeful that ESPN 3D will receive strong interest from sports fans and distributors plus consumer electronics manufacturers and retailers.

We are always looking for ways to augment the viewing experience for fans watching MLB telecasts, said Chris Tully, Major League Baseball Senior Vice President, Broadcasting. The State Farm Home Run Derby is a unique event for a 3D telecast since it has all of the prestige of an MLB Jewel Event and the event's format allows for more creativity in how it is shot for television.

Additional schedule highlights for the new network include:

* College basketball's Old Spice Classic on Nov. 25-28
* College football's ACC Championship on Dec. 4
* Jimmy V Classic on Dec. 7.
* College basketball's Big East Tournament, March 8-12, 2011

Previously announced events include the BCS National Championship game in Glendale, Ariz. on Jan. 11, X Games 16, college football and the NBA. Additional events may be added at any time, however, it is estimated that the first year will include approximately 85 events.

ESPN has been testing ESPN 3D for more than three years. In February, ESPN produced a 3D telecast of a Harlem Globetrotters game. In 2009, ESPN produced the USC vs. OSU college football game which was shown in select theaters as well as to 6,000 fans at the Galen Center on USC's campus. ESPN has developed best practices for utilizing the technology in live game applications which have provided the ability to streamline workflow operations, adjust 3D camera positioning, perform transmission tests and gauge fan reaction to a 3D telecast versus a traditional telecast.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-09-2010, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

From ESPN.com

Six All-Star players have committed to participate in the 2010 State Farm Home Run Derby, Major League Baseball announced Tuesday.

Representing the American League are the Red Sox's David Ortiz, the Tigers' Miguel Cabrera, the Yankees' Robinson Cano and the Jays' Vernon Wells.

The two National League participants include the Brewers' Corey Hart and the Cardinals' Matt Holliday.

Ortiz participated in the Home Run Derby each year from 2004 to 2006. Cabrera took part in the 2006 event, and Holliday competed in 2007. Cano, Hart and Wells will be making their Home Run Derby debuts.

While Cano felt honored that he was asked, Yankees manager Joe Girardi and hitting coach Kevin Long were less than enthused. They understand, they said, there is prestige in the invite, but worried about the impact it could have on Cano's second half.

"Physically, I think is somewhat of a grind," Girardi said.

He added that the decision to participate is solely Cano's.

"I would rather him probably not to do it," Long said. "But I can understand him doing it and the excitement of it. It's a pretty neat honor."

Neither Girardi nor Long spoke with Cano before he agreed to take part in the Derby, which will take place Monday in Anaheim.

Cano gave some leeway that he could decide not to participate.

"We still have five days left," Cano said before Tuesday night's game with the A's.

Cano's teammate Alex Rodriguez, who has participated in a few home run contests without winning, said there are as many cases where players were just as good, or better, after winning the contest as there are memorable struggles.

"Just to say it was the Home Run Derby, I'm sure you can find cases where someone did fantastic in the Home Run Derby and did fantastic in the second half," Rodriguez said.

One only needs to look at last year, when Milwaukee's Prince Fielder hit 24 homers after winning the derby compared with 22 before the break. Among the other players not affected have been Vladimir Guerrero, Ryan Howard, Miguel Tejada, Jason Giambi, Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds.

Rodriguez said his history in the event means he's not the one to give tips to Cano about how to win it. His advice was very simple.

"Hit 'em far. Very far. Far. Far," he said. "Yeah, do it. Why not? Have fun. He's a kid. Why not? I'll be watching. I'll be cheering him on."

The remaining competitors will be announced when they have been confirmed.

The Home Run Derby will be broadcast live on ESPN 3D beginning at 8 p.m. ET on July 12.

post #3 of 30 Old 07-09-2010, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

From ESPN.com

Disappointed Cano agrees -- no Derby

By Andrew Marchand

Robbie Cano, now he knows.

After being in the dark about the New York Yankees' decision to pull him out of Monday's Home Run Derby, an "upset" and "disappointed" Cano had a meeting and conference call with manager Joe Girardi and general manager Brian Cashman, who clarified why they decided to pull the second baseman from Monday's event.

Cano, who was not in the lineup on Wednesday night for the first time all season, has a minor back condition, which the Yankees don't want to become worse by participating in the Derby.

Even after news broke online earlier in the afternoon, Cano was unaware he was out of the Derby.

On Tuesday, Girardi said the decision to hit in the Derby would be solely Cano's, but the Yankees ultimately decided for him. After hearing the clarification, Cano admitted he was disappointed in the lack of communication, but said he agreed with the final verdict.

"They don't want to take the risk to lose me for the second half or two weeks, three weeks or a month," Cano said during his second gathering with the press on the topic. "I agree with them."

Cano, though, did not like how the situation was handled, because when he was first surrounded by reporters he didn't know he was scratched from the Derby.

"To be honest, I was upset," Cano said. "You guys are talking to me and I don't know what is going on."

Cano said Girardi told him Tuesday night that he would not start Wednesday. He is expected to be back in the lineup Thursday in Seattle.

Earlier on Wednesday afternoon, a baseball official with knowledge of the situation told ESPNNewYork.com that Cano was pulling out of the Derby. When Cano first met with the media, he said he had not made any decision about the Derby and was unaware that he would not be participating.

"I haven't made any decision," Cano said at the time.

Cano had accepted the invitation Tuesday, but left open the possibility he might not participate. Both Girardi and hitting coach Kevin Long opposed the idea of participating.

Cano added he has a little back pain, but did not think it was anything major.

Although Girardi said Tuesday it would be Cano's decision, Cano said he hadn't heard from anyone from the Yankees.

Minutes later, Girardi confirmed Cano is out of the Derby.

"It is my understanding he is not going to participate," Girardi said.

Girardi would not get too detailed about the miscommunication with Cano.

"That is something we'll have to talk about internally, not hash out over the airwaves," Girardi said.

The New York Daily News initially reported Wednesday that Cano made the decision based on a back problem.

Cano would have been the third Yankee to participate in the Derby. Jason Giambi and Tino Martinez were the previous participants.

post #4 of 30 Old 07-09-2010, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

From ESPN.com

Florida Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez has been added to the Home Run Derby during the All-Star break.

The 2009 NL batting champion will participate in his first derby on Monday in Anaheim, Calif. He had 13 home runs entering the Marlins' game Thursday night at Arizona.

Ramirez joins the Milwaukee Brewers' Corey Hart and St. Louis Cardinals' Matt Holliday from the National League. American League representatives include the Detroit Tigers' Miguel Cabrera, Boston Red Sox's David Ortiz and Toronto Blue Jays' Vernon Wells.

One more player from each league is needed to round out the field.

The All-Star Game is Tuesday night.

post #5 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm assuming the 3D broadcast won't be a simulcast of the standard ESPNHD telecast, so no matter how good the 3D looks, not having to hear Chris Berman will make it a more pleasing experience

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #6 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 05:04 PM

Liked: 10
It's on now. A group is singing. After all the crowds of World Cup, it's strange seeing empty seats. At least I'm getting it here in Vegas, as opposed to the Yankees games which discriminated against the rest of the US.

BTW, It sure sounds like Chris Berman to me introducing the contestants, although some of the broadcasters are wearing 3D glasses.

It's broadcasting in 1080p.
post #7 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post

It's on now. A group is singing. After all the crowds of World Cup, it's strange seeing empty seats. At least I'm getting it here in Vegas, as opposed to the Yankees games which discriminated against the rest of the US.

BTW, It sure sounds like Chris Berman to me introducing the contestants, although some of the broadcasters are wearing 3D glasses.

It's broadcasting in 1080p.

Berman announced the players in the stadium, where the audio was coming from. Nomar garciaparra, aaron boone are the regular announcers. My audio is way out of sync on ATT Uverse. Is anyone else experiencing this?

post #8 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 05:22 PM

No sync issues on Comcast here in Atlanta. I dont have a 3D tv, but I can flip to the channel and see the 2 stacked images.

I will say that it looks like there is a big lack of camera angles compared to the ESPN broadcast. The ESPN broadcast looks closer to the action all around.

I did just notice one instance of both broadcasts using the same camera as a player walked back to the dugout.
post #9 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
@advocate2

The ESPN 3D broadcast tonight is in ESPN's normal 720p format and not surprisingly looks a good bit inferior to the recent 1080i World Cup 3D coverage. I've always considered ESPN's 720p to be inferior at best....

HDTV Early Adopter
post #10 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 05:48 PM

One of the announcers pointed out that this is the first 3D broadcast produced by ESPN. As the producers and cameramen get more experience I am sure that everyone will begin to understand which shots and angles work well and which do not.

The lighting is difficult because of the sharp contrast between sunny and shady parts of the field.

By the time of the World Series this will be smokin'.

Honestly, I am almost giddy. What a blast.

Given that AVSers are so far ahead of the curve on the availability of the Mits 3D kit and where to find it (RC Wiley), I would venture to say that a high percent of viewers will be members of this forum.
post #11 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 05:50 PM

Rick,

Thanks for the heads up. I thought my eyes were going bad after the three FIFA games I watched in 3D.

What did you guys think about the hit that came right toward the camera? I flinched for a second.

Wow. They just showed a clip of XGames. Out of this World.

I can remember as a kid watching a small screen in a big box. We've come a long way, baby.
post #12 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post

@advocate2

The ESPN 3D broadcast tonight is in ESPN's normal 720p format and not surprisingly looks a good bit inferior to the recent 1080i World Cup 3D coverage. I've always considered ESPN's 720p to be inferior at best....

Interesting you feel that way, even considering the 50Hz to 60Hz conversion of the World Cup.

post #13 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post

Rick,

Thanks for the heads up. I thought my eyes were going bad after the three FIFA games I watched in 3D.

What did you guys think about the hit that came right toward the camera? I flinched for a second.

Wow. They just showed a clip of XGames. Out of this World.

I can remember as a kid watching a small screen in a big box. We've come a long way, baby.

Yeah that line drive made me flinch also....extremely cool!

I just turned 56 and can remember the excitement as a kid when our neighbors got the first color TV in the neighborhood and we would invite ourselves over to watch Batman in color! We have indeed come a long way technology-wise!

HDTV Early Adopter
post #14 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Interesting you feel that way, even considering the 50Hz to 60Hz conversion of the World Cup.

Yep even with the conversion I felt the World Cup was excellent PQ.

Don't want to come across as ungrateful as I appreciate ESPN's considerable efforts and commitment to bringing us this new tech...just wish the world's premier sports provider would also provide us with a world class HD (3D) pic.

HDTV Early Adopter
post #15 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yep even with the conversion I felt the World Cup was excellent PQ.

Don't want to come across as ungrateful as I appreciate ESPN's considerable efforts and commitment to bringing us this new tech...just wish the world's premier sports provider would also provide us with a world class HD (3D) pic.

Well Rick, I've been reading your posts for a long time, and I learned something more tonight.

post #16 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow the promo for ESPN 3D with the X-Games, football, and the globetrotters has me real excited for the future of the channel!

post #17 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 06:35 PM

What about USC running on the Field as a great shot?

Is it me or is the ground camera on the third base line out of focus? A technical comment is that these guys have not gotton control of their depth of field. If their autofocus is on, it is taking too long for the lenses to get it right.
post #18 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

On the ESPN HD feed, two nice plugs for ESPN 3D.

post #19 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:

@advocate2

I 100% agree. On D* the World Cup looked better, maybe its the lighting.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 07:19 PM

I only saw the last three games of the World Cup in 3D. I'm sure there was a learning curve for all the technicians, just as there will be at ESPN.

Candidly, for the Home Run Derby I find the focus issues, both depth of field on close ups and focus on long shots, to be distracting. Not even close to the broadcast quality of the World Cup.
post #21 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Currently experiencing DirecTV rain fade here in NC...I'm blaming that on ESPN too!

HDTV Early Adopter
post #22 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Well Thanks to ESPN for their groundbreaking 3D coverage tonight...looking forward to tomorrow's FOX 720p broadcast of the All Star game to see how it compares to tonight's ESPN efforts!

HDTV Early Adopter
post #23 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 PM

I also noticed the difference in PQ between the world cup and the home run derby. I also had trouble with the long range shots that quickly transitioned to the very close up shot almost like a fish eye lens of the batter. The behind the pitcher shots were excellent. You could see the trajectory of the ball much clearer. X games and college FB look great!
post #24 of 30 Old 07-13-2010, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Aside from the 3D issues, which are understandable, there were a fair number of issues with the graphics. Many times they would go to a shot where a graphic was supposed to animate in, but the graphic would already be there. Then a split second later, the graphic would disappear and animate in properly. There were also cases of missing information in graphics ("xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" for a player's info). I don't understand these mistakes.
post #25 of 30 Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know what glasses the announcers were wearing last night. They looked way more comfortable then my panasonic glasses. They didn't have a passive display in the booth did they?

post #26 of 30 Old 07-13-2010, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

Does anyone know what glasses the announcers were wearing last night. They looked way more comfortable then my panasonic glasses. They didn't have a passive display in the booth did they?

They were definitely wearing passive glasses.
post #27 of 30 Old 07-13-2010, 08:51 AM

After I watched most of the Home Run Derby in 720p (top/bottom), I checked the adjacent channel and the same broadcast was at 1080i (side to side). Comcast, King County, South Seattle.
post #28 of 30 Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

DirecTV was 720p side by side.
post #29 of 30 Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUJayhawk20659 View Post

I 100% agree. On D* the World Cup looked better, maybe its the lighting.

I think the World Cup looked sharper--even with the standards conversion. The Sony "Football" commercial looked a lot better during the World Cup than it did during the Home Run Derby. Perhaps ESPN and Fox should consider 1080i for their 3D.
post #30 of 30 Old 07-13-2010, 07:37 PM

I thought that the HRD looked much better than the World Cup Games, and I watched almost all of those. I had much less ghosting on my Sammy. The audio was a bit off for some of the on field interviews and I have ATT Uverse as well. The whole screen kinda went dark for a few minutes just after the shadows stretched across the whole infield. I'm not sure what was up with that. I may go look at that again on the DVR. The super slow-mo shots were by far my favorite. I could almost reach out and grab the baseball mid-flight!
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page