AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From Reuters

Quote:
FIFA World Cup: Spain, Netherlands in classy final

Johannesburg: Africa's first World Cup reaches a fitting climax on Sunday when the two most impressive teams, the Netherlands and Spain, meet in what is expected to be a fascinating contest for soccer's biggest prize.

The best games in a World Cup often come in the semi-finals but after a month of soccer of varied quality, these two teams are recognised as being the pick of the bunch technically, tactically and temperamentally.

It is a final of firsts in addition to the location. Neither side has won the World Cup despite their undoubted quality, and Europe will win its first trophy on another continent.

It is Spain's first final and a third for the Dutch, who were runners up in 1974 and 1978.

Germany took third place on Saturday night after an exciting 3-2 victory over Uruguay in rain-swept Port Elizabeth which was far from the frequent anti-climax of the playoff game.

A header from Sami Khedira won the game for Germany with only eight minutes to go after an evenly-matched contest. It was Germany's second successive third place in the World Cup.

Both Spain and the Dutch perfectly illustrate the big lesson of this World Cup -- that the teams who play as units are superior to those that revolved around the fallen pre-tournament favourites like Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney.

The climax of a successful month-long tournament is also a triumph for South Africa who have confounded years of negative foreign reporting predicting it would be a disaster marred by violent crime, chaos and unfinished stadiums.

President Jacob Zuma thanked the nation on Saturday, saying the hosting of the tournament had made them champions despite being the first host country to go out in the group stage.

Zuma thanked his people for remaining passionate audiences despite the early elimination of their team, helping South Africa take third place in overall attendance at more than 3 million, behind the United States in 1994 and Germany in 2006.

European champions Spain, who started slowly but peaked perfectly to eliminate a talented young German side in the semis, are favourites although they have stuttered in converting midfield skill into goal-mouth punch.

They are the popular choice of many, from kids kicking a ball around in the township of Soweto to the world's press who made them overwhelming favourites according to an online poll by the International Sports Press Association.

But the Netherlands will be tough to beat, with a powerful trio of Dirk Kuyt, Wesley Sneijder and Arjen Robben to combat Xavi and Andres Iniesta leading Spain's masterful midfield.

The Dutch, despite disappointing their fans with a more defensive approach than the teams of the past, have won all their 14 World Cup games including qualifiers.

Spain tormented the Germans and others with their talent for holding the ball and precise passing even under pressure, but have lacked the killer instinct in front of the net with only seven goals from six matches. Even coach Vicente del Bosque says they are not clinical enough.

Striker Fernando Torres, recently returned from surgery, has yet to score and they have relied heavily on their ruthless hitman David Villa, the tournament's joint top scorer with Sneijder, Uruguay's Diego Forlan and Germany's Thomas Mueller on five goals each.

The Dutch, considered the best team never to have taken the trophy, have been more prolific with 12, but have also seemed to lack the killer instinct at crucial moments.

Spain's fans will be led at the final by Queen Sofia while the Dutch are backed by outgoing Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende, among an array of VIPs including 14 African presidents, a king, a prince and an emir.

But the big question, especially for South Africans, will be whether Nelson Mandela, the beloved father of the post-apartheid nation, will attend. Mandela missed the opening ceremony on June 11 after his great grand-daughter died in a car accident the night before.

He is in frail health at the age of 91 and his office rarely gives details of his movements in advance.

If he does attend, it will be seen as the perfect way to cap huge national pride over a successful tournament which has boosted not only this country but the whole of Africa.

Experts and officials say it has rebranded South Africa, boosting racial reconciliation and national unity in a country still troubled by divisions 16 years after the end of apartheid.

Fund managers say the impressive way in which the tournament has been run has already attracted new business and capital into the continent, which is seen as a growing frontier market.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 17 Old 07-11-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The match ended in a tie, so overtime will be played consisting of two 15 minute extra periods, with a 5 minute rest at the end of the 90 minute play but not between the two overtime periods. No sudden death aka Golden Goal.

If there is still a tie after the two 15 minute periods, penalty kicks are used to determine the outcome of the game.

post #4 of 17 Old 07-11-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

And the Spaniards win it, 1-0.

post #5 of 17 Old 07-11-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

And the Spaniards win it, 1-0.

Spoilers.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #6 of 17 Old 07-11-2010, 03:24 PM

Liked: 10
As all the commentators stated: It was not a pretty game. Yesterday's third place match between Uruguay and Germany was much more exciting to watch. All the potential soccer fans who missed yesterday but watched today will be on the boards wondering what the rest of the world sees in soccer.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-11-2010, 03:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Spoilers.

AVSForum Rule #1: If you haven't finished watching it, don't read a thread about it.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-11-2010, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
. . . . . aaaaand the number of AVS members who watched it in "3D" ?
post #9 of 17 Old 07-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

How was the experience of watching the game in 3D versus 2D?
post #10 of 17 Old 07-11-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice2 View Post

How was the experience of watching the game in 3D versus 2D?

I am not a soccer fan, but I have watched the past few world cups. This 3D film crew did a spectacular job and only got better as the tourney went on.
Watching in 3D is as big as non HD to HD to me, if not more so.

Of all the 3D content I have seen (about as much as there is out there) these soccer games were right at the top.

Now I get two nights in a row of baseball and could not be more excited!!
post #11 of 17 Old 07-11-2010, 05:38 PM

Couldn't agree more. The coverage was phenomenal. At the end, during the celebration, they launched golden ticker-tape and fireworks. The effect was spectacular.

Still incessantly bitter I am not able to watch the yankees in 3D. BUT: the world cup 3D was loads better in technical quality than the two short outs I saw of the yankee game.

Having seen world cup in 3D, the bar has been raised so, so very high. You are right: this is as significant as HD over non-HD, perhaps more. I'd take 720p 3D done well over 1080p 2D for sports for sure.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-12-2010, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

i watched it yesterday in Rotterdam ( Netherlands ) in 3D at the cinema at Pathe.

we used Real 3D glasses.

the good.

when there is no horizontal movement. it is awesome. clear picture, sharp.

the replays were very nice to see in 3D. different camera angles

the bad.

horizontal movement. lots of ghosting makes it unwatchable. the picture is so unclear you have no idea who is playing. it is like a big resolution drop or something. camera is zoomed out far away.

specially if your used to avatar 3D. this 3D of sony + real3D glasses is far from mainstream ready for cinema that is for sure.

overal as a 1 time experience it is nice. however until these problems are fixed i will not go see it again in 3D. not until the picture stays sharp with fast movement and with good horizontal movement.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-12-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

i watched it yesterday in Rotterdam ( Netherlands ) in 3D at the cinema at Pathe.

we used Real 3D glasses.

the good.

when there is no horizontal movement. it is awesome. clear picture, sharp.

the replays were very nice to see in 3D. different camera angles

the bad.

horizontal movement. lots of ghosting makes it unwatchable. the picture is so unclear you have no idea who is playing. it is like a big resolution drop or something. camera is zoomed out far away.

specially if your used to avatar 3D. this 3D of sony + real3D glasses is far from mainstream ready for cinema that is for sure.

overal as a 1 time experience it is nice. however until these problems are fixed i will not go see it again in 3D. not until the picture stays sharp with fast movement and with good horizontal movement.

Non of your "bad" happened on my end.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

then it is clear to me, that watching it in 3D on a TV is better then in the cinema at the moment.

because as i read from your post, you watched it from tv.

i think for baseball , a game that does not have much horizontal motion. it will be awesome. and specially if your close to the pitch.

but sinc eyou mention you did not had any bad effect on a tv. i am going this week to a shop and check out the 3D. maybe on tv the progress is already further then for cinemas.

with a tv you only have a small screen. while a cinema is 100 times that size.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

then it is clear to me, that watching it in 3D on a TV is better then in the cinema at the moment.

because as i read from your post, you watched it from tv.

i think for baseball , a game that does not have much horizontal motion. it will be awesome. and specially if your close to the pitch.

but sinc eyou mention you did not had any bad effect on a tv. i am going this week to a shop and check out the 3D. maybe on tv the progress is already further then for cinemas.

with a tv you only have a small screen. while a cinema is 100 times that size.

Here are the problems with the World Cup specifically in 3D at theaters:

3D at the theaters using RealD glasses with a DLP projector is 144Hz. The World Cup signal is 1920x108050i SbS format. This means each eye is seeing a 960x1080 frame. The signal is also 50Hz whereas the projector is 144Hz. This means that it needs to be further converted to playback the signal. This leads to problems with playback.

3DTVs need to convert the signal from 50Hz to 120Hz which is a smaller jump then 144Hz so I guess it works better.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-13-2010, 12:23 PM

did anyone catch jimmy jump's trophy shenanigans ? it looks like there was a 3D camera right on it!
post #17 of 17 Old 07-13-2010, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Peter thanks for th explanation. now that makes actually sense.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page