PLEASE HELP! MFH-3 Operator = No 3D DirecTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-15-2010, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Background: I live in a Miami high rise and my cable operator is Primecast. I absolutely have to use these people as my satellite/cable providers. Long story short: they use a wacky protocol called MFH-3 (Multiple Family Housing) which sends data packets via CAT-5 (ethernet) cable to a DirecTV receiver. No coax! Please note, this is not IPTV as MFH-3 requires a satellite on the top of the building (it only sends signals throughout your individual condo unit over ethernet). Every condo has some kind of proprietary fiber optic line that hooks into an Alcatel brand modem in the utility box which then converts it to ethernet signal.

Problem: this stupid system only works with the HR20i (a non-3d capable DVR receiver). It also works with another non-3D capable stand alone (non-dvr) receiver. That's it. Absolutely no other receivers are compatible. This is absolutely the only thing this dumb system can function with (I was told this by my operator Primecast and I still tried extensively to use a newer receiver and failed). Please keep in mind the only hookup besides power in and HDMI out is ethernet cable in to the box (no coax). I think the ethernet has to use the lower ethernet port. Not the higher port on the back of the box (Does this even make a difference?). BUT keep in mind the HR20i can reportedly record 3d programming. It just cannot not decode it. Per other users, it can also send the signal to other receivers via the MRV (multiple room viewing) protocol ($3/month service from DirecTV).

Question: I just purchased the UN55C8000 (2010 Samsung 3d LED TV). I want, nay, I NEED 3D content....SO, can I set up a different DirecTV box which is 3d capable (ie HR-23 DVR) as a "multiple room viewer" in the same AV cabinet and run cables (ethernet? DECA? coax? combo?) from my HR-20i to the newer 3D capable receiver...THEN also hook that 3D capable receiver up to my 3DTV for a work around? In effect this solution, if it worked, would use the HR20i as the decoder for the MFH-3 (crap protocol from hell) data and then send out a signal that the 3D capable newer DirecTV boxes (HR21, HR22, HR23, HR24) could use?

Question 2: If this would work, will this allow me to send only pre-recorded content? Could I start recording content on my non-3D capable box hooked up on HDMI 1 on my TV then switch over to the 3D box (while the 3d and non-3d boxes are hooked up to each other for "MRV") on HDMI 2 and start streaming that "recorded" program with a few second delay (semi-real time). Could I send signal real time?

THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-16-2010, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For that to work, DirecTV would have to activate that 2nd receiver, and turn you on for MRV. Under your current setup, do you even know if they would do that?
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page