Charter Cable 3D? "We have no plans to implement 3dtv at this time." - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 07-26-2010, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was just wondering if anyone had heard if Charter had an future plans for 3D content. Seems like they're the only major company not too. I tired to talk to them and was told that it was a major project their working on but that was all I could get out of them. Worried they just told me that to keep me from switching providers. Anyone heard anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi16 View Post

Was just wondering if anyone had heard if Charter had an future plans for 3D content. Seems like they're the only major company not too. I tired to talk to them and was told that it was a major project their working on but that was all I could get out of them. Worried they just told me that to keep me from switching providers. Anyone heard anything?

Nope. Not a word.

Having said that, passing 3D the way it's been done by Comcast, TWC, Cablevision, etc. is technically not that big of a deal. If the others can do it, so can Charter.

It may be a bigger problem to find the bandwidth available on various systems.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 36 Old 07-27-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Another big issue is the monthly per subscriber license fees for content such as ESPN-3D. It appears that many of the cable companies are waiting till there is more regular 3D content before signing up. I believe I read the U-Verse has a $10 per month 3D subcription fee for 3D service.
post #4 of 36 Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

That's what I was afraid of. I've always hated charter and this just adds to the list. And I think $10 a month is just too much for a channel that's not 24/7. Maybe by Christmas they will have something out.
post #5 of 36 Old 07-27-2010, 03:28 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

We have no plans to implement 3dtv at this time.
post #6 of 36 Old 07-27-2010, 05:46 PM

comeon, why is charter the last to get everything. Im still waiting for the nfl network. LOl, we use to have it but now charters too cheap to pay for it
post #7 of 36 Old 07-27-2010, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

I knew that damn rep was lying to me about it coming and being one of their major projects. Fudge Charter, time to switch to a company that isn't ten years behind.
post #8 of 36 Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

It only gets worse! I decided to chat once again with Charter after the first rep told me 3D was coming and the forum member on here said they had no plans. this is what happened.

Hi. My name is Greville. Thank you for contacting Charter Communications. How may I assist you today

Me: hello i was wonder when you were going to start offering 3D tv content such as ESPN 3D.

TTD Greville : I will be sending a sales request to your local office so that we can have that on the Channel on the list of channels to be added as soon as changes and additions on your line-up will commence. At this time, there are still no updates as to when channels may be added. Thank you for your request. We hope to meet your needs at the soonest possible time

TTD Greville : As of this time, we have no updates on that.

Me: So as far as you know, Charter might not offer 3D at all? its not in the pipeline?

TTD Greville : I am sorry, but as of this time we have no updates on that. Rest assured, this will be noted.

TTD Greville : Are you referring to HD?

Me: No, 3D! I have talked to three separate reps. First said yes 3D is coming, second said no, and you dont even know what it is. Im switching to DirectTv. Please send a letter up higher in the chain to let Charter know that they are losing customers.

TTD Greville : Thank you for choosing Charter Communications. If you have further questions, please chat with us again. Our chat support is available 24/7. Have a great day!

TTD Greville : This chat session is now going to be closed. Thank you for contacting Charter. Have a good day!

They didn't even know what 3D was, then they hung up on me. I'm pissed needless to say.
post #9 of 36 Old 07-28-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:

I knew that damn rep was lying to me about it coming and being one of their major projects. Fudge Charter, time to switch to a company that isn't ten years behind.

Can you send me a PM with whom you spoke to and what date?
post #10 of 36 Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 AM

Has this been rethought being all the new TVs are 3D? I just got one and am of course disappointed on Charter's plans just like 1080p. Dish and others do it but Charter doesn't ever seem to consider the new technology. I likely will switch to dish soon. Would have sooner but the internet wasn't easily available in my area.
post #11 of 36 Old 11-29-2010, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have read that it is estimated that only about 5-6% of the TVs sold this year will be 3D TVs.
post #12 of 36 Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post
We have no plans to implement 3dtv at this time.
You will when your brains defuzz and realize that customers will leave you in favor of DirectTV. 3D sports and gaming are the two content versions that will keep 3D viable. I have Comcast 8 months out of the year and Charter 4 months. If Charter doesn't commit by the time I get back up north in May I'm switching to satellite service and schlep the box back and forth.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #13 of 36 Old 12-22-2010, 03:54 PM

I bought a Samsung PN58C8000 and love the 3D TV. And yes, I have Charter... only because U-Verse's signal was too weak to reach my home. I was all set up to get ESPN 3D for $10/month with AT&T... well worth it for me... to watch some of the first ever 3D Sports content on television.

Now I am stuck with Charter, who has shown time and time again that they are primarily profit driven and not customer driven. Needless to say, as soon as the U-Verse signal is strong enough to reach my home, I am jumping the Charter ship.

Charter = GM ... AT&T = Toyota/Honda/Subaru
post #14 of 36 Old 12-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Does Charter still exist? I thought they filed for bankruptcy and went belly up.

post #15 of 36 Old 01-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

Does Charter still exist? I thought they filed for bankruptcy and went belly up.

Oh, they exist, and they are the absolute worst cable company in the world. Half of my high-def channels go out at random, and even when they are on the sound will drop out at random and then come back on...somtimes every minute or so. I then have to switch to the standard def channel to be able to finish watching the show.

I have given up trying to get anything fixed with them...their online techs barely know what a TV is let alone understand anything technical.

Where I live they are THE ONLY CABLE company available!!!

I need good fast internet access because I work from home every few weeks and the only other option I am aware of is ATT - DSL along with a dish of some sort. There is no way I am going to DSL H3LL!

So for now I am stuck in major crapland cable H3LL.

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

post #16 of 36 Old 01-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
LOL. I recently dropped Qwest DSL because they just didn't seem very interested in keeping customers by having no plans to upgrade speed in my area.

The best internet in the area now is Charter w/Docsis3.0 already implemented here.

When I signed up they tried to get me to bundle TV and phone. I asked: "When do you expect to get 3D?

Answer: "Huh?"
post #17 of 36 Old 01-22-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
Oh, they exist, and they are the absolute worst cable company in the world. Half of my high-def channels go out at random, and even when they are on the sound will drop out at random and then come back on...somtimes every minute or so. I then have to switch to the standard def channel to be able to finish watching the show.

I have given up trying to get anything fixed with them...their online techs barely know what a TV is let alone understand anything technical.

Where I live they are THE ONLY CABLE company available!!!

I need good fast internet access because I work from home every few weeks and the only other option I am aware of is ATT - DSL along with a dish of some sort. There is no way I am going to DSL H3LL!

So for now I am stuck in major crapland cable H3LL.

We're definitely here to stay. Sorry to hear that you feel that way about us and are having picture quality issues. Please PM me your account information and we'll get this resolved for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
LOL. I recently dropped Qwest DSL because they just didn't seem very interested in keeping customers by having no plans to upgrade speed in my area.

The best internet in the area now is Charter w/Docsis3.0 already implemented here.

When I signed up they tried to get me to bundle TV and phone. I asked: "When do you expect to get 3D?

We still have no plans to implement 3d at this time. Our focus for 2011 is to bring your more HD channels, better DVR technology and faster internet speeds.

George
post #18 of 36 Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

How can you possibly bring more HD channels when the ones you already provide have the sound drop out at random? Let's just get the ones we already have working properly. I am certain that there is nothing at all that you can do to fix my issues. I have already had nearly every piece of equipment replaced including the line that runs underground through my back yard! The audio drop outs are not related to anything going on in my home.

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

post #19 of 36 Old 01-24-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post

How can you possibly bring more HD channels when the ones you already provide have the sound drop out at random? Let's just get the ones we already have working properly. I am certain that there is nothing at all that you can do to fix my issues. I have already had nearly every piece of equipment replaced including the line that runs underground through my back yard! The audio drop outs are not related to anything going on in my home.

We will need to verify that there are no sound issues reported at your headend. Once that is completed we will know that the source of the trouble that you're experiencing is located beyond that point. I would definitely like to assist with getting the sound issues resolved for you and it may not be located at your home. If you would like help, please send us a PM with the following information.

Name:
Phone Number on Account:
Contact Number:
Best Time To Call:
Address:

Thanks,

George
post #20 of 36 Old 01-24-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post

Good afternoon,

Just wanted to follow up to see if you had any other questions?
post #21 of 36 Old 03-10-2011, 01:27 PM

Sitting here wishing I could watch bball in 3d. Charter is my only choice, and they are still behind the curve technology wise as they have been for as long as I can remember.
post #22 of 36 Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post
We still have no plans to implement 3d at this time. Our focus for 2011 is to bring your more HD channels, better DVR technology and faster internet speeds.

George
ESPN 3D is HD and so is 3Dnet. Kill two birds with one stone!
post #23 of 36 Old 03-10-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrizzy View Post
Sitting here wishing I could watch bball in 3d. Charter is my only choice, and they are still behind the curve technology wise as they have been for as long as I can remember.
Sorry to hear that you feel that way about us. We still have no plans to implement 3d at this time. Our focus for 2011 is to bring your more HD channels!
post #24 of 36 Old 03-10-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
If anyone gets bored and likes to read just google Charter Cable reviews and try to find ANY positive posts. Be prepared to be looking for a LONG time.

Ed
post #25 of 36 Old 03-10-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

If anyone gets bored and likes to read just google Charter Cable reviews and try to find ANY positive posts. Be prepared to be looking for a LONG time.

Ed

If you search Umatter2charter I think you'll find plenty of positive posts and blogs pretty quickly. Did you have any questions or concerns that we can assist you with?

-George
post #26 of 36 Old 03-11-2011, 12:57 PM

Just wanted to follow up to see if you needed any assistance?
post #27 of 36 Old 03-18-2011, 06:36 PM

One thing that bugs me about Charter is that they keep adding several "niche" channels like Russian TV, Armenian, several Chinese, etc..in my area (San Gabriel Valley). Yet they won't add enough HD channels or even sub channels like Antenna TV. I understand the need for the niche channels but give us some decent programming that the masses can enjoy.
post #28 of 36 Old 03-18-2011, 08:56 PM

Charter is always last to do everything!

I bought an HDTV and watched SD on it for almost 4 years before Charter finally rolled out HD in my area. When U-verse showed up, I dropped Charter instantly.
post #29 of 36 Old 03-18-2011, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Charter is a straight up joke....without a doubt the worst cable company I have ever the misfortune of encountering years ago. I thank the HD and 3D gods every day for directv and a one way pass out of cable hell that is Charter.
post #30 of 36 Old 03-18-2011, 11:53 PM

Have never heard of this company before. I guess I should be thankful... Direct Tv for me. :-)
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page