2010 NFL Preseason - Giants vs Patriots in 3D on Verizon FiOS - 9/2/10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One of my best friends works for Verizon. He told me yesterday Verizon was gonna offer the first preseason 3d NFL game being the Giants vs Patriots.
I just checked the preseason schedule and they do play each other week 4 of the preseason.
He told me about the Mariners vs the Yankees before it was announced so just maybe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

ESPN needs an online stream on ESPN3 or something....
Old 07-31-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUJayhawk20659 View Post

One of my best friends works for Verizon. He told me yesterday Verizon was gonna offer the first preseason 3d NFL game being the Giants vs Patriots.
I just checked the preseason schedule and they do play each other week 4 of the preseason.
He told me about the Mariners vs the Yankees before it was announced so just maybe.

Looks like that will be on Thursday, September 2 at 7:00 PM Eastern time. Sure hope you're right.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here is the Fall ESPN-3D schedule. No NFL games but that does not preclude Verizon from broadcasting it them selves since ESPN-3D is not using the 3D sports production van that weekend.

http://espn.go.com/3d/schedule.html
Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Here is the Fall ESPN-3D schedule. No NFL games but that does not preclude Verizon from broadcasting it them selves since ESPN-3D is not using the 3D sports production van that weekend.

Look forward to 9/11 game: Miami vs OSU
After that, the rest is TBA

Gen Coupe 3.8 Track w/ bolts-on tune: SRI , CBE

Old 08-02-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopho View Post

Look forward to 9/11 game: Miami vs OSU
After that, the rest is TBA

the next game after that is Auburn v. Clemson.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure why you guys would even bring up ESPN in this thread.
If this game ends up being 3D I'm 99% sure it would not be on ESPN 3D as they have been on top of scheduling.
Plus have a game 4 days later in Boise State vs Vtech.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:20 PM

It's official, just had a radio commercial in New York City that FIOS will simulcast the game in 3D. too bad I don't have FIOS, but I'm willing to bet that DirecTV will show it as well , as they did broadcast the Yankees/Mariners 3D game.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmanny View Post

It's official, just had a radio commercial in New York City that FIOS will simulcast the game in 3D. too bad I don't have FIOS, but I'm willing to bet that DirecTV will show it as well , as they did broadcast the Yankees/Mariners 3D game.

Any word on Comcast?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

From Verizon.com

Verizon FiOS Scores First NFL Game on 3D TV: Giants-Patriots Preseason Match-Up on Sept. 2

Quote:

NEW YORK - August 11, 2010 -
Verizon is kicking off the football season with the production and broadcast of the first National Football League game in 3D on television for the company's FiOS TV customers in parts of New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

The game is the Sept. 2 preseason match-up between the New York Giants and the New England Patriots, at New Meadowlands Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m., with Verizon FiOS1 pre-game, half-time and post-game shows - all in 3D. The game begins at 7 p.m.

Verizon FiOS1 is producing the 3D broadcast, which will be shown on FiOS Channel 834 for FiOS TV subscribers in the New York City area, including Long Island and Westchester and Rockland counties, as well as for subscribers in northern New Jersey, Mercer County, N.J., Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Similar to previously offered 3D programming from Verizon, customers must have 3D TV sets, 3D glasses and a high-definition set-top box to view the broadcast.

The veteran on-air broadcast team includes play-by-play announcer Spero Dedes, analyst Howard Cross and sideline reporter Kimberly Jones.

"This is the next major step in our development of 3D experiences for our FiOS TV customers," said Terry Denson, vice president of content strategy and acquisition for Verizon. "Broadcasting the first 3D NFL game delivers on our promise to FiOS customers to provide a superior TV offering, including 3D, HD and VOD programming, as well as interactivity that cable can't match."

Giants Chief Marketing Officer Mike Stevens said, "The Giants are excited to host the first 3D broadcast of an NFL Game in our new stadium. We have worked closely with our partner Verizon in developing new technology throughout the stadium for our fans, and now Verizon FiOS and the Giants will be taking the next step in innovation for our fans at home."

In support of the 3D broadcast, Verizon will host customer viewing parties at New Meadowlands Stadium and at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass. Guests at Gillette Stadium will include youngsters from local Boys and Girls Clubs of America.

Verizon also is working with two popular sports bars in the New York and New England markets -- Slate Bar in Manhattan and Snookers in Providence, R.I. -- to give consumers a first-hand look at the power of Verizon's 3D experience. The company will set up 3D TVs at each location and hold promotional events there.

The broadcast marks Verizon's third major 3D initiative this summer. On July 10 and 11, the company broadcast the first Major League Baseball games in 3D, between the New York Yankees and the Seattle Mariners. And on July 15, Verizon announced that it will carry 3D programming on FiOS TV Video on Demand from WealthTV.

"We are committed to bringing our customers a consistently high-quality TV experience with the best programming available over the country's only all-fiber network," added Denson. "And there's so much more yet to come, with new programming, applications and other enhancements that only FiOS can deliver."

FiOS TV offers a broad collection of programming, with more than 565 all-digital channels including up to 142 HD channels and 18,000 monthly video-on-demand titles. FiOS also provides next-generation interactive services including an advanced interactive media guide; social networking, news and entertainment widgets; remote DVR management via broadband or cell phone; and more.

In addition, with NFL Mobile only from Verizon, Giants and Patriots fans can get news, scores and highlights all season long on their Verizon Wireless smartphones. For information on how to download, customers can visit www.verizonwireless.com/nfl.

For the latest news, updates and information about FiOS TV, visit www.verizon.com/newscenter and http://www.verizon.com/athomeblog.

Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, NASDAQ:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 92 million customers nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers innovative, seamless business solutions to customers around the world. A Dow 30 company, Verizon last year generated consolidated revenues of more than $107 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.

Link: http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-...first-nfl.html

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
Old 08-15-2010, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How much? I love easy money.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 08-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
what about us starving fios customers that don't live in NY!!!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

ZERO chance, this one is being produced by Verizon. Which gives me hope that D* will do that type of thing for maybe a regular season game or 2. Not sure how though will all the NFL exclusive rights crap they have.
I think reg season or playoffs we would need one of the big dogs to produce a game to be 3D(Fox, ESPN, or NBC).
Fox did it for baseball and NFL is much bigger, ESPN has been doing it and seem to be behind 3D pretty good.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

We can only hope that ESPN will do a regular season or post season game in 3D. The major networks won't do it until their local affiliates can broadcast it---and that's going to take some standards being worked out that are totally backward compatible with the current ATSC broadcasts. NFL football and the TV rights are totally different than other sports on TV. Only in the preseason do the teams get to make their own television agreements. That's why you won't see a Super Bowl in 3D for a couple of years at least. The local affiliates would scream bloody murder if DirecTV, Verizon, or anyone else syphoned away some viewers. The affiliates make a lot of money even on local ads during the Super Bowl. ESPN is in a unique situation, and hopefully they will have the ability to do NFL games as well as BCS games. My guess is that they probably don't have access to enough 3D capable trucks this year, but next year they could. You guys with Versizon are lucky to be getting the first NFL game in 3D even though it's a meaningless game. Most teams just play the starters for one series in the fourth preseason game, or perhaps not at all. 3D will be the only reason to watch this game.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

what about fios owners that DON"T live in these areas - i can't believe we're blacked out from this game. BS!
Old 08-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
how will this game be telivised on fios in 3d sise by side checkerboard or top and bottom
Old 08-24-2010, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delt31 View Post

what about us starving fios customers that don't live in NY!!!!!

You'll continue to starve.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny 21 View Post

how will this game be telivised on fios in 3d sise by side checkerboard or top and bottom

Not 100% sure, but I'd guess SbS.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

what about fios owners that DON"T live in these areas - i can't believe we're blacked out from this game. BS!

I can't believe anyone who watches TV wouldn't expect this. The NFL isn't about to change it's distribution policies just because of 3D.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

I can't believe anyone who watches TV wouldn't expect this. The NFL isn't about to change it's distribution policies just because of 3D.

really? I would have thought since it's the first 3d, it gets televised nation wide
Old 08-27-2010, 12:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

really? I would have thought since it's the first 3d, it gets televised nation wide

It's not a bad thought because anything is possible, but with the NFL things usually are cut and dried.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:10 PM

Directv carrying this?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire View Post

Directv carrying this?

Try reading the topic. Exclusive to Verizon.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

i have verizon fios and all the 3d stuff tv and glasses. can i record the game while watching it in 3d and then play it back at anytime i want and watch it again in 3d
Old 09-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i have verizon fios and all the 3d stuff tv and glasses. can i record the game while watching it in 3d and then play it back at anytime i want and watch it again in 3d

yes
Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone watching?

Old 09-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Anyone watching?

I would be....if I had FiOS and didn't live in PA.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

watched the first half on a new mits 73838 and mits glasses i have to say it was terrible it was dark looking and at times it looked blurry and then go back to 3d also on all the white shirts and numbers there was a reddish streak.even with the glasses off. it looked like that mercedez clip . i coulnt even make it past half time unwatchable. i hope espn 3d is better than fios 3d. all i can say it SUCKED.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:

watched the first half on a new mits 73838 and mits glasses i have to say it was terrible it was dark looking and at times it looked blurry and then go back to 3d also on all the white shirts and numbers there was a reddish streak.even with the glasses off. it looked like that mercedez clip . i coulnt even make it past half time unwatchable. i hope espn 3d is better than fios 3d. all i can say it SUCKED.

Blah...that doesnt sound good at all...i guess its a good thing they only were broadcasting this to a small amount of fios viewers...ive seen a few live things directv has done with their 3d events and they looked real good. keeping my fingers crossed for monday night.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I sampled about 10 minutes of it. The 3D looked good, as did the colors, but they're really going to have to up the bitrate.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC