Samsung 3D Blu-ray Exclusives: How to Train Your Dragon, Shrek Movies, IMAX - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From blu-ray.com:

Quote:

Samsung Electronics America, Inc. today announced that the 3D Blu-ray edition of the Dreamworks Animation movie How to Train Your Dragon will be available exclusively as part of the Samsung's 3D starter kit, which also includes two pairs of Samsung 3D glasses for at-home viewing. Samsung will also make available an exclusive offering of the Shrek film series. The 3D Blu-ray versions of the IMAX documentaries Into the Deep and Galapagos will also be Samsung-exclusive. Samsung has separately secured the exclusivity for the 3D Blu-ray versions of the IMAX documentaries Into the Deep and Galapagos.

The 2D Blu-ray edition of How to Train Your Dragon is scheduled for October 15. The Shrek movies are still unannounced.

"Samsung and DreamWorks Animation bring together the best creative talent in animation and the strongest 3D TV technology in order to offer a new dimension of home entertainment. We believe that 3D TV adoption at home will increase as more global 3D hits, such as How To Train Your Dragon are made available to the consumer for 3D home viewing," said John Revie, senior vice president of Home Entertainment, Samsung Electronics America, Inc. "We look forward to a continued collaboration with DreamWorks Animation to deliver such rich content to the living room."

"We are pleased once again to extend our ongoing alliance with Samsung - whose commitment to providing the highest quality out-of-the-box 3D experience at home is unparalleled in the consumer electronics industry - so that DreamWorks Animation fans will soon be able to enjoy a premium version of How To Train Your Dragon in 3D Blu-ray," added John Batter, Co-President of Production at DreamWorks Animation.

Link: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4980

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Great... this isn't going to stop anytime soon... What is really bad about it is that the CEMs are screwing over their existing customers having new exclusive titles bundled with products that they have already bought...

(And I'm not a Samsung 3DTV owner)

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #3 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 11:19 AM

Yep looks like the people that bought sets are left high and dry for content again.

What a great marketing campaign, get a customer to buy a product bundle in a movie or two then leave them out in the cold for more content as every title is an exclusive that you can only get with product you don't need to buy. nothing like customer loyalty !
post #4 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

stupid idiots

Never mind that there isn't enough value in one individual movie to make consumer A choose a samsung disc player over a Sony disc player (bearing in mind that also has to influence them to choose a Samsung TV), but this backfires spectacularly on Samsung's own customers who happened to early adopt and may already have a C8000 with glasses and 3D bluray player. They are left out in the cold too

There simply aren't enough movies out there to make this workable. Studios should look beyond tiny short term gains. If they genuinely want 3D to succeed, they need to seed the market with 3 blurays - that means in retailers. Otherwise consumers will go 'where is the content' - and there won't be any.

Listen to this quote
Quote:

We believe that 3D TV adoption at home will increase as more global 3D hits, such as How To Train Your Dragon are made available to the consumer for 3D home viewing

yes, and what you are doing is precisely the opposite, you imbecile.

How about companies like Samsung team up to sponsor/subsidise the creation of 3D blurays for these movies, but release them to retail with a nice big 'in association with Samsung' sticker on the pack? Associate your brand with 3D at the point of sale.

(I was looking forward to HTTYD as we missed it in the cinema. Will consider buying the 2D bluray but would have bought the 3D one as a preference)
post #5 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 12:05 PM

same sungsung said they are going to offer how to train your dragon 3d in the starter kit.http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4980
post #6 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 12:52 PM

If there is any good in this, at least this confirms HTTYD will have a 3D BD.
I saw this in IMAX 3D and it was mindblowing. My home system won't be the same, but I still look forward to when it comes out.
post #7 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 12:53 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

In addition Samsung announced the exclusive availability of the 3D Blu-ray version of DreamWorks Animation's 3D "How To Train Your Dragon." The 3D BD will be featured in Samsung's 3D starter kit, which also includes two pairs of Samsung 3D glasses for at-home viewing.

Samsung also announced a strategic marketing partnership with IMAX under which IMAX will license limited use of its trademark and two IMAX 3D films from its original 3D film library, "Into the Deep" and "Galapagos." The 3D Blu-ray versions of the films are exclusive for the next 12 months to Samsung's 2010 3D starter kit, which also includes two pairs of 3D glasses and is free to people who buy a Samsung 3D TV and a Samsung 3D Blu-ray device. The starter kit will be available starting this fall.

Giant Screens Film's "Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs" will also be available as part of the IMAX deal.

http://www.twice.com/article/455923-...DreamWorks.php
post #8 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Where was that user that wanted to file a legal complaint? I'd like him to get on that now.

Once again, if you are going to make it a bundled exclusive, could they at least let us know when it might be available as a standalone release? Right now, we're patiently waiting and have NO idea when these movies will be available. It doesn't make sense if we already have TVs and Blu-Ray players ready and can't watch these 3D movies for the next two years. This is insane.
post #9 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbo345 View Post

Where was that user that wanted to file a legal complaint? I'd like him to get on that now.

Once again, if you are going to make it a bundled exclusive, could they at least let us know when it might be available as a standalone release? Right now, we're patiently waiting and have NO idea when these movies will be available. It doesn't make sense if we already have TVs and Blu-Ray players ready and can't watch these 3D movies for the next two years. This is insane.

It's in the link I posted above:

"The 3D Blu-ray versions of the films are exclusive for the next 12 months to Samsung's 2010 3D starter kit"

OBTW - Samsung has reduced the price of the Kit from $350 to $285.
post #10 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What the heck are they going to bundle the Shrek movies with? The TV's? Damn I hate Samsung. Only people that will win are the ones that sell the movies on ebay for 10 times the value.
post #11 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

All these movies will show up on eBay for around $50-90 just like MvA has.

All these new announced Blu-rays are for the Starter Kit according to the press releases. I don't know if this means they will have 3 movies in a kit, each movie in a different kit, or an IMAX and a Dragons kit. The press release really doesn't make anything clear.
post #12 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbo345 View Post

I'm still here. This exclusive does add some good evidence. I was persuaded by all those who said the exclusives were only temporary and I should practice patience. Now it doesn't look that way.
post #13 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

All these movies will show up on Amazon for around $50-90 just like MvA has.

All these new announced Blu-rays are for the Starter Kit according to the press releases. I don't know if this means they will have 3 movies in a kit, each movie in a different kit, or an IMAX and a Dragons kit. The press release really doesn't make anything clear.

I am guessing that the 3D movie in the Kit will change on a regular basis. Most people will need more than 2 pair of glasses in their home. Just have to wait until the movie you want is included.

They may also include 2 titles with the purchase of one of their 3DTVs.
post #14 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 04:30 PM

To come home from a long day of work and I read this just pisses me off.

I pay over 4G for my 3D setup and cant even buy anything to watch on it. Wow this is as stupid as I have ever seen.
post #15 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

OK, maybe we can get Best Buy or other retailers to allow for buy backs of the glasses for those who do not have Samsung TVs. If the Starter Kits are going to be priced at $285 then maybe we can get at least a $250 credit for return of the two pairs of glasses which they can then still make a profit on when they resell them. In any event this should be good news for Samsung owners as it suggests they should be able to pick up a pair of extra glasses on EBay for a lot less than the $150 now required.
post #16 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUJayhawk20659 View Post

I pay over 4G for my 3D setup and cant even buy anything to watch on it. Wow this is as stupid as I have ever seen.

LOL . . .

I paid more than twice what you paid for my HDTV (FPTV) in 1997 and said the same thing in 1998 and 1999.
post #17 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

LOL . . .

I paid more than twice what you paid for my HDTV (FPTV) in 1997 and said the same thing in 1998 and 1999.

Lol as did I in 1998 or so. But for HD there was non of this exclusive crap. There was just no HD.
post #18 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Wow! Now this is getting to be a little ridiculous. I said I wouldn't purchase another Samsung display due to them not releasing an adapter for legacy DLP owners, but this just solidifies it.

Overall, this will not bode well for 3D. The studios are getting paid (by Samsung), so they really don't care if their titles get pirated. And let me tell you, those titles will be on the internet at least a week before they're released in the Starter Kits, since every other title is already out there.

Why do these companies keep shooting themselves in the foot? It doesn't make any sense.

MODS: Please note, I do not condone piracy, I'm simply stating a fact.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #19 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUJayhawk20659 View Post

Stupid is stupid does...Fine Whine Takes time...... Fun to be ahead of the curve.....Isnt it...
post #20 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not that it'll matter, but I'll be calling their Executive customer relations department to b*tch about this tomorrow.
post #21 of 66 Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 75
A couple of years from now all of this will be completely forgotten.
post #22 of 66 Old 08-12-2010, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

A couple of years from now all of this will be completely forgotten.

Perhaps in the great white north--but we in the South never forget.
post #23 of 66 Old 08-12-2010, 05:57 AM

So its either 80-90 bucks on Ebay or go the" piracy" route...wonder which is more wrong, studios screwing consumers over with these exclusivity deals, or consumers who download these "un-obtainable" movies from the internet!!!!
post #24 of 66 Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post

Not that it'll matter, but I'll be calling their Executive customer relations department to b*tch about this tomorrow.

Id would be interested in what they have to say. I would be willing to pay for shipping and provide them with UPC codes if they would send me the movies.
post #25 of 66 Old 08-12-2010, 06:57 AM

The only thing that is going to stop this practice is a loud public backlash at Samsung and every other company doing the same, but Samsung more than others.

We need to start an email campaign with Samsung. They need to know that if 3D fails to become mainstream, its their fault. Not the fault of the public, not the fault of the retailers, not the fault of the technology. Samsung will carry the blame for killing 3D by not allowing ANY consumer access to the content, even Samsung consumers.

Let them know!
(I'd use the tech support email address, at least we know someone reads that)
post #26 of 66 Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Samsung needs to make this available to ANY ONE who bought their TV/Starter kit already.

I am going to write a letter and call. What else can I do?

This practice of bundling is CRAP!

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #27 of 66 Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Worm View Post

Let them know!

I sent them an email yesterday basically telling them that their actions (and the actions of other manufacturers such as Sony and Panasonic) are gutting 3D before it has a chance to thrive. I also asked if there was some way that I could participate in any future promotions seeing as I only bought my TV a month ago.

I received a reply back last night. I don't have the text in front of me but I was basically told that Samsung has nothing to do with these promotions and that I should contact the store I bought the TV and BluRay player at. WTF????

It could be that this promotion is so new (only announced yesterday) that their own departments aren't aware of it; I definitely didn't see anything on their website about it (in fact they're still using the MvA graphics on the site to promote 3D). I'll probably wait a week or so and try again.
post #28 of 66 Old 08-12-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I received a reply back last night. I don't have the text in front of me but I was basically told that Samsung has nothing to do with these promotions and that I should contact the store I bought the TV and BluRay player at. WTF????

It could be that this promotion is so new (only announced yesterday) that their own departments aren't aware of it; I definitely didn't see anything on their website about it (in fact they're still using the MvA graphics on the site to promote 3D). I'll probably wait a week or so and try again.

I'm gonna have to call BS on this. First off, how would a store be able to use Samsungs name in a promotion without Sammy's approval? Second, Samsung stated (IIRC) that they were proud to continue their partnership with these studios. And lastly, why would a store put forward the kind of money it takes to make something exclusive to a company that they have no vested interest in? It just doesn't make sense.

Then again, neither does the practice of bundling...
post #29 of 66 Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Worm View Post

The only thing that is going to stop this practice is a loud public backlash at Samsung and every other company doing the same, but Samsung more than others.

We need to start an email campaign with Samsung. They need to know that if 3D fails to become mainstream, its their fault. Not the fault of the public, not the fault of the retailers, not the fault of the technology. Samsung will carry the blame for killing 3D by not allowing ANY consumer access to the content, even Samsung consumers.

Let them know!

Sign me up for any protest letters.

Samsung needs to make this available to ANY ONE who bought their TV/Starter kit already.

I am going to write a letter and call. What else can I do?

This practice of bundling is CRAP!

That good point has been in the back of my mind also. Why can't they make them available to early adapters? They are not thinking of us at all
post #30 of 66 Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 153
This just needs to stop and now, any of theses movies that are produced should be available at retail at this point in the 3D game. If the TV companies wish to give stuff away as added incentive then they can still give away free copies of these movies but they have no right to hold these titles ransom where the only way to obtain them is to buy their gear, pay 3 to 4x normal retail on ebay or download them illegally. I understood the logic at first but now that things are moving along this practice needs to be stopped, it simply is not fair to the consumer and it makes almost no sense. There needs to be some form of mass complaint filed before this gets out of control. It's said that Avatar will be exclusive to Panasonic as well so Samsung is not the only one to blame here.

Now, where do we sign...

Jason
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page