Convert Downloaded 3d Content to Checkerboard? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are there any programs out there that can convert downloaded 3d content into the checkerboard format? I'm not talking about ripping a BD, I want to be able to download SBS content, convert it to a checkerboard file and then stream it to my ps3. Possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Stereoscopic player converts to checkerboard on the fly, but I don't think there's a way to then stream it to your PS3.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #3 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
I want something like that but I want to be able to save the converted file as a video in checkerboard format and then put it on my network HD to stream to my PS3.

Bascially I'm trying to avoid buying the Mits adapter (plus Gefen since I have a Samsung) or buying the Panny BD player. I'm still holding out hope that the PS3 3d BD update supports checkerboard... but it's not looking good. That, and I'm not willing to buy a 3d solution that requires me to update my AVR... while degrading picture quality (crushing blacks). The worst part is that if Mits didn't try to block Samsung owners by implementing the EDID restrictions in the first place, people wouldn't be having AVR issues.

For PS3 games, I'm fairly confident that 3rd party developers will implement checkerboard support on the front end. I understand Sony's reasoning for not supporting checkerboard (selling TVs) but 3rd party developers want to sell games. Avatar proved that even mediocre games can sell well when checkerboard is supported. As Crysis 2 will support 3d on the xbox, I'm confident that CryEngine 3 has checkerboard support... which I believe will become the new standard for first person shooters... until Unreal 4 anyways.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin-Dawson View Post

The worst part is that if Mits didn't try to block Samsung owners by implementing the EDID restrictions in the first place, people wouldn't be having AVR issues.

For PS3 games, I'm fairly confident that 3rd party developers will implement checkerboard support on the front end. I understand Sony's reasoning for not supporting checkerboard (selling TVs) but 3rd party developers want to sell games.

So you understand Sony but not Mitsubishi?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #5 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin-Dawson View Post

For PS3 games, I'm fairly confident that 3rd party developers will implement checkerboard support on the front end. I understand Sony's reasoning for not supporting checkerboard (selling TVs) but 3rd party developers want to sell games. Avatar proved that even mediocre games can sell well when checkerboard is supported. As Crysis 2 will support 3d on the xbox, I'm confident that CryEngine 3 has checkerboard support... which I believe will become the new standard for first person shooters... until Unreal 4 anyways.

Sony has stated all 3D games will be in 720p. Unfortunately the 3D dlp chip in Samsung and Mits TVs only works with 1080p. So the software use of checkerboard in new games is unlikely.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-24-2010, 06:22 AM

Liked: 10
mplayer/mencoder for Linux and Windows should be able to do it. There is a post on the second page of this thread http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4521 that deals with checkerboard output.

This whitepaper contains an Avisynth script to convert left and right files in to checkerboard.

The alpha mask mentioned in the whitepaper can be found at the bottom of this page.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-24-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'm not sure if it's possible to save content in checkerboard, unless checkerboard is the same as Multi View (Tiled).

The reason I say this is because in Stereoscopic Player, you have to select the method that the original file is in, and checkerboard isn't an option.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #8 of 10 Old 08-24-2010, 02:26 PM

Liked: 10
my understanding is that video saved in checkerboard format would result in huge unmanageable files.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-24-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
But you can save the original compressed for transmission MPEG2 or MPEG file and then output it in decoded and decompressed checkerboard 3D video format.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-24-2010, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I'm not sure if it's possible to save content in checkerboard, unless checkerboard is the same as Multi View (Tiled).

The reason I say this is because in Stereoscopic Player, you have to select the method that the original file is in, and checkerboard isn't an option.

I thought there were two options, select the file format and then the output format? I haven't used Stereoscopic player in a while but when I had the nVision setup I think this is the way it rolls. Select SxS for the file then checkerboard for the output.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page