Samsung 3d TV app is available! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 102 Old 08-31-2010, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For all you samsung owners if your tv is connected to the internet you now have the optin to go and download the new samsung 3d tv app. Goto Samsung Apps and select the Explore 3d app, download and when you go into it you will have the option to watch Movie Trailers Video Clips, and Premium Videos. Right now the only thing you can watch is 3 movie trailers, they are Shrek the Final Chapter, Megamind, and How to Train Your Dragon. This is pretty exciting if they start to offier content to watch via streaming or downloading directly to your tv.

This is a good day for samsung owners!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 08-31-2010, 11:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Thanks for the 'heads up', checked it out and hope they offer some more content in the near future.

The Megamind HDX trailer has some pretty decent 3D.

* Anybody else want to ponder over full length 3D movies showing up, maybe like, oh I don't know... How to Train Your Dragon .

Think about it, this is a perfect way for them to offer it to their customers since it is claimed to be a Samsung exclusive. Only difference being current owners will have to pay a rental fee to view it vs getting it as a promotional add-on for buying a 3D package. Could this be their plan...? If MvA shows up for streaming once HTTYD shows up in the kits I think we'll have our answer . I hope I am not being too optimistic here .

Jason
post #3 of 102 Old 09-01-2010, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Cool; I wonder if I'll be able to get the app thru my 6900 BluRay player since I have yet to buy the wireless internet adapter thru the TV.

Out of curiosity, what 3D format are the clips in?
post #4 of 102 Old 09-02-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Cool; I wonder if I'll be able to get the app thru my 6900 BluRay player since I have yet to buy the wireless internet adapter thru the TV.

Out of curiosity, what 3D format are the clips in?

you cant right now and it sucks cause my wireless connection is too slow to stream hd video...

looks like the vudu interface
post #5 of 102 Old 09-02-2010, 09:24 AM

Hey guys,

I have a Samsung 6900 BluRay player and can confirm this 3D App/"Channel" is not available to me. I wonder why?

I have it hardwired with Ethernet, not WIFI, so I had hopes that it would work smoothly, however it's not even offered.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will push this out to the players.
post #6 of 102 Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 AM

According to their website, it should be available:

"Get access to a range of entertaining 3D content via this application on Samsung 3D TVs and Blu Ray Players. Samsung will provide 3D Movie trailers, short videos like documentaries, sports highlights, concerts etc. in 3D and some full length movies in 3D through this application"

I tried a software update on my player and it keeps failing....hmmm. Says the file doesn't match my player. Perhaps that's why I don't see the channel.

Just FYI.
post #7 of 102 Old 09-02-2010, 09:33 AM

I just wish there was actually some content available. Hopefully soon
post #8 of 102 Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 AM

All they could say is that they will "record my problem, pass it along to the appropriate department and they will work on this to fix that in near future."

My main question was about the website stating it was available to TV's and BD players...yet doesn't show up in my app store, and I've confirmed my firmware is up-to-date.

Again....just FYI.
post #9 of 102 Old 09-02-2010, 12:40 PM

This new app(FREE), which I believe is the first such 3D app from any manufacturer, is called "Explore 3D". It can be downloaded easily from the app area and is in "beta" at this time.

There are 5 selections areas: What's New?; Movie Trailers; Video Clips; Premium Videos; Info & Settings.

This beta is being run via the VuDu engine and has a selection of HD(720P) or HDX(1080p)-dependent on your internet speed.

It appears that this may be the first 3D site(app) that will eventually allow streaming full length 3D movies, probably for a fee.

Right now this app only has three 3D clips: Shrek-The Final Chapter; It's Big For A Reason; and How To Train Your Dragon.
The clips are wonderful and seem to be side-by-side presentations. Visual clarity is excellent. I'm not getting the audio to come through-must be my setup.

Bravo Samsung!
post #10 of 102 Old 09-02-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

I didnt have any issues with the audio, so it must be something on your end.
post #11 of 102 Old 09-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Try PCM audio in the setup in the app.
post #12 of 102 Old 09-03-2010, 06:31 AM

I downloaded the 3D app last night on my Samsung TV. Download was very fast and the 3 movie trailers looked and sounded fantastic. The 3 trailers available were Shrek-The Final Chapter, MegaMind, and How to Train Your Dragon. I was just expecting the same trailer for HTTYD that's on the MvA Blu-ray and was pleasantly surprised that it was totally different content.
post #13 of 102 Old 09-03-2010, 06:42 AM

Where is this thing? I can't find it when I look on my 6900. Is it only something I can get through my tv?
post #14 of 102 Old 09-03-2010, 07:29 AM

I found mine listed under Samsung Apps on the main Internet screen of my TV. Not entirely sure where it'd be on other equipment.
post #15 of 102 Old 09-03-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss2d View Post

Where is this thing? I can't find it when I look on my 6900. Is it only something I can get through my tv?

yes
post #16 of 102 Old 09-03-2010, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This app did not work well for me at all.

The first time I tried it I get weird blue/pink lines on the right half of my screen. Then I exited and started it again and tried the Shrek trailer (the only one I didn't try the first time) and it worked, but was a good amount of ghosting. Then I tried to play the other trailers again and I didn't get the weird lines again, but it wouldn't play the trailers either, it would buffer then go to start playback and then immediately go back out to the app screen. It did this for the Shrek trailer as well.

The Hodor Theater - In Progress
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT
Surround/Back Speakers - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M
Subwoofers - Dual Passive JTR Captivator Pros
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR608
post #17 of 102 Old 09-04-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post

This app did not work well for me at all.

The first time I tried it I get weird blue/pink lines on the right half of my screen. Then I exited and started it again and tried the Shrek trailer (the only one I didn't try the first time) and it worked, but was a good amount of ghosting. Then I tried to play the other trailers again and I didn't get the weird lines again, but it wouldn't play the trailers either, it would buffer then go to start playback and then immediately go back out to the app screen. It did this for the Shrek trailer as well.

I cannot get a viewable picture either. Have tried multiple times, both resolutions. Audio seems fine. Somehow I don't think the set is detecting the proper 3D format.
post #18 of 102 Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 AM

I'm unable to get the app, also the only apps I see are the one that I already have, cant see hulu, explorer 3d or netflix. Anyone have this problem? I reset internet@tv, delete my ID, nothing works.
post #19 of 102 Old 09-04-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSnake View Post

I'm unable to get the app, also the only apps I see are the one that I already have, cant see hulu, explorer 3d or netflix. Anyone have this problem? I reset internet@tv, delete my ID, nothing works.

I have same problem with uou, i cant see that 3d application, maybe because i'm in indonesia, so the apllication just for samsung app for US or europe region not avaible for asia region.
post #20 of 102 Old 09-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
When I first ran the trailers on the app I had problems. 3D was blurry. It just said "turn on your 3D glasses". Never to press the 3D button on they remote etc.

So I exited, turned on 3D side by side and then went back to the app and started a trailer. Now they all worked perfectly. Never had to press the 3D button again.
post #21 of 102 Old 09-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Works like a charm. This a move in the right direction for Samsung if they put up some content other than trailers. At least there would be something to play with until movies become available.

post #22 of 102 Old 09-05-2010, 10:38 AM

No sign of this app in the uk yet
post #23 of 102 Old 09-11-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I broke down today and bought the wireless internet adapter for my PN63C8000. After setting it up and installing all the updates I was able to quickly find and install the Explore 3D app and play around with it.

It definitely seems to be based off the Vudu app although it seems to have trouble with HDX playback as it always wants to buffer (never have that problem with Vudu). HD playback works fine however.

For me, once I started streaming the trailers all I had to do was turn on my glasses and I was good to go; no need to put the TV in side by side more or anything like that.

Hopefully Samsung will throw up some more content to keep us occupied until 3D blurays start to flow more frequently.
post #24 of 102 Old 09-17-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
the preview for the upcoming Megamind 3d movie in the explore 3d app seems to make very good use of the 3d, especially the spider scene! watched it last night with my daughters
post #25 of 102 Old 09-18-2010, 06:54 AM

I emailled samsung uk to find out when this app was going to be released here and they basically told me that it won't be happening and it's only for the us.

What about the rest of the world samsung?
post #26 of 102 Old 09-18-2010, 12:25 PM

Liked: 12
you can get all 3 of these trailers in side bye side format here www.biohemmet.se Just load em on a usb thumb drive or on an external hard drive. With an external hard drive you can play em back via ps3
post #27 of 102 Old 09-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

I live in PA. I downloaded all the updates and got everything working, but for the life of me can not find the 3D Apps ANYWHERE.

Any ideas?

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #28 of 102 Old 09-19-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post

I live in PA. I downloaded all the updates and got everything working, but for the life of me can not find the 3D Apps ANYWHERE.

Any ideas?

when you open internet@tv, go into samsung apps, you should see the explore 3d app. It seems this is only available on tv's, not from bluray players ( I didn't see it when accessing it from my 5900 bluray player)
post #29 of 102 Old 09-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks! I will hook up the TV when I get home

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #30 of 102 Old 09-19-2010, 03:27 PM

Hello 3D friends . I wanted to let you know a way to get the explore 3D app in any country. If you setup an American VPN and route all traffic via your router you will be able to enjoy all the cool apps our US friends have. Once you have the VPN running you need to reset Internet tv. Once it resets go back in and it will re download all the American apps. Once done go into the app store and Explore 3D will be available for download. Where do you get a VPN you may ask. Lots of sites offer them to the USA. Just ensure they can provide you a steady 5mbps as that is required for the app to function properly. Good luck guys. It's worth it for non Americans
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Bd C6900 3d Blu Ray Player Refurbished , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - C6900 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page