Will Netflix carry 3d blurays? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Its all chicken and egg - i agree, its the same as the blu-ray roll out. At first, blu-ray was free opt in, only then did they begin to charge for it once the base was established.

Will netflix carry 3d? yes probably.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

If I was a customer that had zero interest in 3D, I know I wouldn't be happy if I was subsidizing the 3D customers...

What about people customers who never using the streaming service, but still subsidize it for those that do?

What about those who rent less than others, but help subsidize the ones that rent a lot?

What about those that never damage discs, but subsidize the ones that occasionally damage them (usually without reporting it)?

What about the guy who never seems to get a new release in a timely manner while others get them day one?

In practically ever subscription model, a lot of people subsidize a few that consume more than average. That goes for insurance, health clubs, people who graze in the produce aisle at the supermarket and internet bandwidth.

Like it or not, that's way a lot of things work.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

What about people customers who never using the streaming service, but still subsidize it for those that do?

What about those who rent less than others, but help subsidize the ones that rent a lot?

What about those that never damage discs, but subsidize the ones that occasionally damage them (usually without reporting it)?

What about the guy who never seems to get a new release in a timely manner while others get them day one?

In practically ever subscription model, a lot of people subsidize a few that consume more than average. That goes for insurance, health clubs, people who graze in the produce aisle at the supermarket and internet bandwidth.

Like it or not, that's way a lot of things work.

I didn't think that the price went up when streaming was announced? Also a high percentage of the user base has the ability to stream if they want to without an added cost through their pc. Everyone also has the chance to rent as much as they want but may not.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
Old 09-25-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post

Its all chicken and egg - i agree, its the same as the blu-ray roll out. At first, blu-ray was free opt in, only then did they begin to charge for it once the base was established.

Will netflix carry 3d? yes probably.

Probably? LOL Open the NetFlix site and plug "3D" into the search box. It's coming and already in my queue.

Buzz

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Old 09-25-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

I didn't think that the price went up when streaming was announced? Also a high percentage of the user base has the ability to stream if they want to without an added cost through their pc. Everyone also has the chance to rent as much as they want but may not.

Actually, it did if you were a member prior to that starting.

Further, it is an extra cost, no matter how you slice it. Netflix has to pay those bills somehow, from bandwidth to streaming rights. That comes from every single user, whether they have broadband or not - or even want streaming access. Streaming isn't anymore "free" than free delivery. There's a cost to Netflix and they add that into the price we all pay.

Even on the customer end, there is an added cost of having broadband service that is fast enough to stream content. In some areas, that caries a hefty upgrade charge while in others, the extra speed simply isn't available.

As far as how much someone rents, not everyone has the chance to rent as often as everyone else. Some areas have large delays simply due to distance and delivery times. Anything from being in a rural area to having a post office that takes their time to deliver stuff can affect your ability to get more rentals each week.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Probably? LOL Open the NetFlix site and plug "3D" into the search box. It's coming and already in my queue.

Buzz

That is a good sign; but they don't distinguish anaglyph.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalter0 View Post

That is a good sign; but they don't distinguish anaglyph.

This is true however the lack of availability of Hubble 3D: IMAX in particular allows us to read between the lines. Also, notice the 2010 release dates of Hubble, Phish, and Step Up.

3D via NetFlix is definitely coming. Woo hoo.

Edit: I'm a little disappointed to NOT see 3D A Christmas Carol listed.

Buzz

Buzz

Old 09-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

This is true however the lack of availability of Hubble 3D: IMAX in particular allows us to read between the lines. Also, notice the 2010 release dates of Hubble, Phish, and Step Up.

3D via NetFlix is definitely coming. Woo hoo.

Edit: I'm a little disappointed to NOT see 3D A Christmas Carol listed.

Buzz

I dont know... step up 3d is called step up 3d even on a 2d blu-ray... lets see what you get.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post

I dont know... step up 3d is called step up 3d even on a 2d blu-ray... lets see what you get.

Mmmmm, perhaps you are correct. However, the new version has only been available since March at amazon.de. That's where I got my Imax: Grand Canyon 3D from.

Buzz

Buzz

Old 10-14-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Long as studios want to charge extra for 3D content, Netflix is not gonna pay extra to carry it. If studios want 3d to spread, they would put both versions on one disk.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

If studios want 3d to spread, they would put both versions on one disk.

They do.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
I just called about it and the lady had no information if and when they would start carrying 3D movies. She did forward me to their blog which shows incoming features they are adding.

I would suggest starting a new thread with users posting that they would like this feature added and if they called Netflix. And link the thread to Netflix. Might be useful but idk how many people on this forum has 3D and Netflix lol

Big enough mob, makes gears turn. At this point, it really wouldn't cost to much to add a dozen 3D movies. Max 20 copies of each would be $7200(retail), advertising that they had 3D would add customers eager to try out their new 3D tv's but don't want to pay the premium.

Joe.T
Old 11-21-2010, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean View Post

Big enough mob, makes gears turn. At this point, it really wouldn't cost to much to add a dozen 3D movies. Max 20 copies of each would be $7200(retail), advertising that they had 3D would add customers eager to try out their new 3D tv's but don't want to pay the premium.

Most people would be happy if NF would simply start adding the dozens of catalog BD titles that they are ignoring. I think BD carriage is on the way out at NF.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I talked to NF customer service. They are unable to get releases that contain the 3D format only so until the suppliers break up their 3d Blu-Ray/2d Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo packages 3D rental isn't going to happen. The exception would be if a BD disc has 2d on one side and 3d on the other.

Buzz

Old 11-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Hmm, so that really sucks... Thanks for putting in the call. I still think if we put enough pressure on them, they will get something done. The studios release rental only discs that have the extras and menus stripped from them "Clash of the Titan's" was the first disc I encountered with this. They must be able to get a 3D version like that if they desired.

Joe.T
Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 PM

We don't have to worry about Netflix charging more for BD 3D..I just got an email from them that effective 1/2/2011 my "3 out at a time" subscription will increase $3 per month!!

Guess who'e switching to "2 out at a time"?
Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyperson View Post

We don't have to worry about Netflix charging more for BD 3D..I just got an email from them that effective 1/2/2011 my "3 out at a time" subscription will increase $3 per month!!

Guess who'e switching to "2 out at a time"?

I agree this is crazy. I am dropping to 2 from 3 as well.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 PM

The blu-ray add on is also going up $1 amonth according to my email
Old 11-23-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DViper2399 View Post
The blu-ray add on is also going up $1 amonth according to my email

I'm pretty sure it's staying at $1 a month. I haven't gotten the email, but that's what it said on the Netflix blog.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcc View Post
I'm pretty sure it's staying at $1 a month. I haven't gotten the email, but that's what it said on the Netflix blog.

"The price of your current plan, which includes access to Blu-ray discs, is changing from $10.99 a month to $11.99 a month. This new price will be effective with your next billing statement on or after January 2, 2011, and will be referenced in your Membership Details. With your current plan you can both instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV and receive unlimited DVDs by mail."

Buzz

Old 02-28-2011, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmcalpin View Post

I believe netflix started carrying blurays 2 years ago, after the format war started to die down...

I dug through my rental activity, and it looks like Flyboys or Saw III was the first Blu-Ray I got through Netflix around the end of January, 2007. This was only about two months after the PS3 launched, so that is fairly early adoption.

I'm planning on getting 3D tv in a couple months and would like to be able to rent 3D movies from Netflix. Hopefully, they will work with the studios to get a rental format / single disc deal going - if that is one of the main obstacles.

Also, at $11.99 or whatever it currently costs, it's still a good deal considering new BDs run anywhere from @$15-$30 and you can watch a number of them each month for less than the cost of purchasing one new.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I dont want bluray disc from netflix

I want to stream the 3d content
Old 03-01-2011, 03:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 164
If you want to stream 3D, get a PS3 and Vudu. They have a collection of 3D movie titles and documentaries now. PS3 also has it's own 3D titles in the PS3 store. They are for rent but you can watch a free 2 minute preview of it. VUDU is an app you sign up for through your PS3 account.

VUDU is quite good quality but not BD quality. It's free to sign up but the content is per title. They also do DD5.1 sound. Last I counted, they had about a dozen titles in 3D. I also noted that HULU+ is listing some new releases in 3D but so far nothing to really check out.

At Blockbuster, they only have a few PS3 game titles in 3D.

I think for 3D your best bet today is the PS3 as there are many avenues to getting 3D content with that hardware. Second would be DirecTV as they have 4 channels of 3D content. I do not have DirecTV but have looked into it and first year deal minimum to get 3D channels on a DVR is about $42 per month. In addition to full channel content they have PPV 3D channel too.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...ming-Soon.html

Since Netflix is partnering up with Nintendo on the 3DS it stands to reason that 3D movies are coming sooner rather then later. Or not... ???
Old 03-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

How is the vudu 3D streamed? SBS or frame packed like BD?

Joe.T
Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 PM

I just found this site.....rented one movie from them and they are legit so far. I was initially worried about paying full price for the movie and then have them refund most of the money back to me but so far so good. Will rent more from them.

www.3d-blurayrental.com/
Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean View Post

How is the vudu 3D streamed? SBS or frame packed like BD?

SbS. Only 3D BD offers frame packed 3D.