Will Netflix carry 3d blurays? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 Old 09-16-2010, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jtmcalpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have searched around but could not find anything. I was wondering if anyone knew or has heard if netflix has plans to carry 3d blurays as more and more get released.

Would be sweet to rent some of the 3d blurays I probally wont watch more than once like Monster House.

Thanks.
jtmcalpin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 57 Old 09-16-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
My guess, once the 3D version becomes "the disc", they'll be more likely to.

I don't see them replacing existing editions of movies they have in 2D any time soon, though. They don't even offer all the movies in 2D BD that are available at this point.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NetworkTV is offline  
post #3 of 57 Old 09-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Member
 
White_Worm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems likely to me that eventually blu-ray movies with 3D will only have one disc at retail. It includes both the 3d and non-3d versions (as the 3D discs have now), and will include the extras/bonuses found on the regular disc. Instead, they may drop a few of the language tracks to make room for the 3D version, and they'll have more international SKU's rather than having one SKU for 3D and on SKU for 2D.

Could be years before this happens though. But if (when) it happens, you'll be able to get the 3D versions from Netflix or any other rental channel, because it will be the only version available.

My question would be can the 3D version of a movie be streamed through Netflix? Or could a 3D version be purchased through the Playstation Network video service?
White_Worm is offline  
post #4 of 57 Old 09-16-2010, 11:39 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Worm View Post

My question would be can the 3D version of a movie be streamed through Netflix? Or could a 3D version be purchased through the Playstation Network video service?

Sure - if it is converted to one of the frame compatible 3D formats.

As a 1080x24P 3D frame packed? I doubt it.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #5 of 57 Old 09-16-2010, 11:40 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I suspect that Netflix will add 3D BDs as a rental option next year if 3DTV sales are good this Holiday season. They might add a premium to the rental due to their wholesale cost being higher.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #6 of 57 Old 09-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Member
 
White_Worm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Sure - if it is converted to one of the frame compatible 3D formats.

As a 1080x24P 3D frame packed? I doubt it.

What about the "double-wide" SbS (3840x1080), such as the resolutions sent over the internet now via WMV. I'm sure Netflix could do that, but the more interesting question is what happens to artifacting when losing connection speed? Could the artifacting be replicated on both sides of the frame in the same spot, to avoid eye-strain?

Now that I think about it, 3D streaming is probably a bad idea, yea? Theres a few problems that would probably lead to bad PQ and eye-strain.
White_Worm is offline  
post #7 of 57 Old 09-16-2010, 12:31 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Worm View Post

What about the "double-wide" SbS (3840x1080), such as the resolutions sent over the internet now via WMV. I'm sure Netflix could do that, but the more interesting question is what happens to artifacting when losing connection speed? Could the artifacting be replicated on both sides of the frame in the same spot, to avoid eye-strain?

Now that I think about it, 3D streaming is probably a bad idea, yea? Theres a few problems that would probably lead to bad PQ and eye-strain.

CISCO, VERIZON see 3D video driving demand for faster networks and services

http://3dguy.tv/cisco-verizon-see-3d...-and-services/
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #8 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 06:01 AM
Member
 
line62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schererville Indiana
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will just go to the theater till they do. I just can't see spending 40 plus dollars on a movie that I might watch a couple of times...
line62 is offline  
post #9 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
nowknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Orlando
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Just got off the phone with Netflix. Zero 3D movies available. No upcoming info.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nowknown is offline  
post #10 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jtmcalpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post

Just got off the phone with Netflix. Zero 3D movies available. No upcoming info.

That sucks. I was hoping they would at least have a plan to start carrying them.
jtmcalpin is offline  
post #11 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Metric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There's really not much to carry.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Metric is offline  
post #12 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jtmcalpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post

There's really not much to carry.

Right. Just hoping once the 3d versions of blurays also have the 2d on the disc they will start carrying them.
jtmcalpin is offline  
post #13 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Netflix just started offering BD not that long ago and the format has been out for some time .. doubful 3-D will be available any time in the near future ..

Uncle Willie



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #14 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
browerjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmcalpin View Post

Right. Just hoping once the 3d versions of blurays also have the 2d on the disc they will start carrying them.

They do, at least the two that are domestically available at retail (CWACOM and Monster House).

However IMO it's not worth it for Netflix to buy only the 3D version of a movie (if it also has the 2D version) as it will only cause confusion to those that have no idea how 3D works (which my guess is the vast majority of the netflix customers).

For this reason Netflix would need to implement a system where a user would opt-in to 3D like you do for Blu Ray. But the problem with this is that there are so few users in their customer base, it wouldn't make sense for them to buy 3D versions just for 3D customers as it would be cost prohibitive, unless they charged a large sum for 3D (which IMO wouldn't be worth it because of the lack of content currently).

Basically we will just have to be patient and wait for more widespread adaption. You're an early adapter, you'll just have to fork over 27.99+ if you want a disk with 3D on it.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
browerjs is offline  
post #15 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jtmcalpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Netflix just started offering BD not that long ago and the format has been out for some time .. doubful 3-D will be available any time in the near future ..

I believe netflix started carrying blurays 2 years ago, after the format war started to die down.

True that we are early adopters and 3d is still in its infancy but the fact that 3d will be included on blurays that also have the 2d movie should make it less expensive for netflix to carry those versions of the blurays in the future as they come out. I guess it is just wishful thinking on my part.
jtmcalpin is offline  
post #16 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Senior Member
 
advocate2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vegas, baby
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have asked several times at Blockbuster about their carrying 3D Bluray in the stores. None of the clerks have any idea. Given that BB is trying to differentiate itself from Netflix (by getting new BD discs on date of retail release rather than a month later like Netflix) I am hoping that they might get a few discs in just for bragging rights.
advocate2 is offline  
post #17 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
browerjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmcalpin View Post

True that we are early adopters and 3d is still in its infancy but the fact that 3d will be included on blurays that also have the 2d movie should make it less expensive for netflix to carry those versions of the blurays in the future as they come out. I guess it is just wishful thinking on my part.

Why it's true that the if netflix stocked 3d disks that also had the 2d version and rented these out to all customers it would lessen the cost then stocking both. However there would be a level of confusion with a lot of the customers which would cause Netflix problems.

Why you and I may think it's not hard to choose which version you want to play and start it, many people that don't have 3D setups would choose the 3D version, and when it doesn't play think there is something wrong with the disc.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
browerjs is offline  
post #18 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
Metric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't see confusion as an issue; they do the same for DVD and br now.

The bigger issue is netflix slowly killing the physical media method for delivery.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Metric is offline  
post #19 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmcalpin View Post

I believe netflix started carrying blurays 2 years ago, after the format war started to die down.

True that we are early adopters and 3d is still in its infancy but the fact that 3d will be included on blurays that also have the 2d movie should make it less expensive for netflix to carry those versions of the blurays in the future as they come out. I guess it is just wishful thinking on my part.

You are absolutely right .. for some odd reason, I had Redbox on the brain .. I will now have my daily dose of ADD medication ..

Uncle Willie



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #20 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
browerjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post

I don't see confusion as an issue; they do the same for DVD and br now.

The bigger issue is netflix slowly killing the physical media method for delivery.

The only way you get Blu-Ray is if you opt in. Therefore the customer is specifically saying they want it.

If Netflix shipped out the same disk to both 3D and 2D customers. Then the 2D customer will have an option to select that they want to watch the 3D version, which won't work, and they may in turn go back to Netflix complaining.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
browerjs is offline  
post #21 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jtmcalpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

The only way you get Blu-Ray is if you opt in. Therefore the customer is specifically saying they want it.

If Netflix shipped out the same disk to both 3D and 2D customers. Then the 2D customer will have an option to select that they want to watch the 3D version, which won't work, and they may in turn go back to Netflix complaining.

They do this currently though with analygraph 3d blurays and dvds. I got The final destination ( dont ask why I did but..) the other day from netflix and it had both the 2d and 3d versions on the same disc and when you start the movie it asked which one you want to play.

It is on the customer if they can not click the right button to start the movie.
jtmcalpin is offline  
post #22 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
browerjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmcalpin View Post

They do this currently though with analygraph 3d blurays and dvds. I got The final destination ( dont ask why I did but..) the other day from netflix and it had both the 2d and 3d versions on the same disc and when you start the movie it asked which one you want to play.

It is on the customer if they can not click the right button to start the movie.

Right, but this is the old style which most people are familiar with, and the content will play. So when the user sees the red/green, they get what's going on.

Full 3D will simply not play if chosen from the menu. Now the disc may saw that the user may not have the right equipment, but this isn't to say that the user won't be confused while they are wearing their red/green glasses.

It may be on the customer, but if I were Netflix I'd be worried about confusing a large percentage of my subscriber base, and then paying my customer support representives to field calls explaining what 3DTVs, Active Shutter glasses, 3D BluRay players, etc. are.

You have to realize that the average Netflix subscriber isn't as knowledgable as the average AVS user when it comes to CE.

I would love to see Netflix rent 3DBR so I wouldn't have to buy it... I just don't see it as a viable company decision for Netflix right now until adaption increases drastically.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
browerjs is offline  
post #23 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Metric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Still dont see the issue; opt in for 3d

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Metric is offline  
post #24 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
browerjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post

Still dont see the issue; opt in for 3d

Yes, but if you opt-in for 3D, then Netflix has to purchase 3D blu rays and only send them to those who opted in. This then goes back to buying special disks just for a exteremly small set of users thus making it cost prohibitive.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
browerjs is offline  
post #25 of 57 Old 09-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Metric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As of now yes but it absolutely no different to their blu-Ray deployment.. It's a none issue.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Metric is offline  
post #26 of 57 Old 09-24-2010, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
pmalter0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

Yes, but if you opt-in for 3D, then Netflix has to purchase 3D blu rays and only send them to those who opted in. This then goes back to buying special disks just for a exteremly small set of users thus making it cost prohibitive.

Why is the cost any different buying 200,00 discs for 200,000 users vs 20,000,000 discs for 20,000,000 users?
pmalter0 is offline  
post #27 of 57 Old 09-24-2010, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
browerjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalter0 View Post

Why is the cost any different buying 200,00 discs for 200,000 users vs 20,000,000 discs for 20,000,000 users?

Because there is a premium on 3D discs.

This is my whole argument... you can't go with 2d/3d hybrid disks, and just buy the same quantity, because of user confusion. You can't buy 3d discs only for those who opt-in because of the premium cost.

And if you did have an opt-in option right now and charge a premium, users would do it for a couple months until they saw all the 3DBRs out there, and then opt-out.

Comparing the BluRay/3D Blu transition to the DVD/BluRay transition at this point...

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
browerjs is offline  
post #28 of 57 Old 09-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
pmalter0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

Because there is a premium on 3D discs.

This is my whole argument... you can't go with 2d/3d hybrid disks, and just buy the same quantity, because of user confusion. You can't buy 3d discs only for those who opt-in because of the premium cost.

And if you did have an opt-in option right now and charge a premium, users would do it for a couple months until they saw all the 3DBRs out there, and then opt-out.

Comparing the BluRay/3D Blu transition to the DVD/BluRay transition at this point...

If everyone paid the premium price for every 3D disc in Netflix's inventory, that would cover the cost of the discs, even if most were to opt out after renting all the discs. IMO the real issue is that Netflix is not inclined to take any risk now that they have a monopoly.
pmalter0 is offline  
post #29 of 57 Old 09-24-2010, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jtmcalpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalter0 View Post

If everyone paid the premium price for every 3D disc in Netflix's inventory, that would cover the cost of the discs, even if most were to opt out after renting all the discs. IMO the real issue is that Netflix is not inclined to take any risk now that they have a monopoly.

Can you consider netflix a monopoly? I know blockbuster filed bankruptcy but what about redbox and movie rentals from itunes and from cable (ondemand)?

I dont see netflix as a monopoly. They may be less inclined to take risks if blockbuster is fully out of the picture, but they still have competition.
jtmcalpin is offline  
post #30 of 57 Old 09-24-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
browerjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalter0 View Post

If everyone paid the premium price for every 3D disc in Netflix's inventory, that would cover the cost of the discs, even if most were to opt out after renting all the discs. IMO the real issue is that Netflix is not inclined to take any risk now that they have a monopoly.

If I was a customer that had zero interest in 3D, I know I wouldn't be happy if I was subsidizing the 3D customers...

We just have to be patient, once the install base becomes larger and the demand is there Netflix will carry them.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
browerjs is offline  
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off